• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFSU Brawl Singles Bi-Weekly - May 10th (BRING WII + SSBB!)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oregon is interested in attending Cali tourneys.
But looking at the awful stage selection, we might have to reconsider, haha X^D
But, really, I've been trying to get things easier to look at for travel over in Oregon's All is Brawl group, so bigger NorCal tournaments would be nice to attend. I miss the Basians and all the fun people I met at Carson City, plus all the Smashers I've known since old Melee days. Keep Oregon informed.
And limit those terrible stages for counterpicks lol

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Yo homies. For this event we need player wii contribution. If can please bring a wii and game, we could really use them. In addition, I will graduating this semester. I usually contribute 2 to 3 wiis to these events so next year we are definitely going to need player support. Thanks guys. =)

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Also, a TIO ready Cpu would be awesome for anyone who can contribute. NESJake is Host for this event. Go to him if you need anything. =)

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
okay guys. this is going to be the official list for this friday and saturday's tournament. It will posted on tv's or around them.

Random Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Counter-Picks:
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium (melee)
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Pokémon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion
Brinstar (melee)
Jungle Japes (melee)
Rainbow Cruise (melee)
Hanenbow

Banned:

PictoChat
Pirate Ship
Skyworld
Norfair
Green Greens (melee)
Yoshi's Island (melee)
Distant Planet
Mushroomy Kindom
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
WarioWare, Inc.
New Pork City
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hyrule Temple (melee)
Big Blue (melee)
Bridge of Eldin
Onett (melee)
Port town Aero Drive
Shadow Moses Island
Corneria (melee)
Mario Circuit

again, if anyone could bring their wii's, it would greatly be appreciated!
oh, and a reminder, friday and saturday are only singles events due to time constraints

Zoap

Smash Master
wat the **** is hanenbow?!? WHY YOU TAKE AWAY PIRATE SHIP!! Norfair and Corneria are banned now... -.-;;;

This tournament makes me want to cry myself to sleep

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
Look. I'm trying to make everyone happy and it's just not going to happen. This is the list. If someone breaks a level, then it will be banned. Too many people complained about some of the stages, so they were banned. And why are you complaining about Hanenbow now? It has edges, it's not that big. Who's going to choose it anyways? DO YOU KNOW HOW STRESSFUL IT IS TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY? Maybe we should just ban everything but final destination.

I don't personally like this list myself. I don't think Pirate Ship should be banned, and I don't think Pictochat should be banned. I went into detail about each stage with a few different people, and this is the list I THOUGHT would have the least complaints and be the most FAIR.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
sorry i wont be going to this, like i said i would. (like anyone gives a fu.k lol) hopefully someone can record and post matches.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Worst bannings ever.

Nice of you to join in the debate over Norfair, Jake. Bravo. Oh yeah, and that argument you gave about Skyworld? It was so inspiring, I was in tears. Oh wait, none of that actually happened, because you never gave any arguments whatsoever. Silly me! Although, I can definitely see that your mission was to make everyone unhappy. Personally, I see adding Hanenbow as a slap to everyone's face.

"Hmm, I personally hate Norfair because I can't dodge lava that's easy to see coming, so I'm going to ban it, Skyworld, Pirate Ship and Pictochat, and add Hanenbow for kicks! Yay me!"

That was the thought process, right? After all, that sounds like a better idea than, you know, debating a stage's ban-merit with other people?

Venting aside, I won't be attending today and Saturday, because there's a Mario Kart: Double Dash tournament at Gamestop on Saturday that I'm scheduled to win, and I'll be using the rest of the day today after work to get rid of any remaining rust that I have. Good luck to everyone today and tomorrow (even you, N4n3rz, lol).

Oh, and banning Melee stages? I'd love to hear arguments in support of that, as long as they don't include the non-intelligent "this is Brawl, not Melee" statements.

EDIT: And yeah Zoap. Someone whined about Norfair killing them, and this ****storm got started.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention, if both players agree to play on a stage other than the obvious no-nos, then it can be legal. And yes that includes your precious Norfair.

I'm disappointed in you whitebear. You see me talking to a bunch of different people about which stages should be banned, see all the f*cking stress I have to put up with, see all the people who b*tch when I post something, see all the f*cking work I do for this club and for this tournament for NOTHING in return, and ALL I'M TRYING TO DO is make everyone happy, and NOW YOU'RE trying to make me look like a f*cking idiot in front of everyone WTF MAN?!?!?

pockyD

Smash Legend
so why is it banned again?

(about the 10th time i've asked this without getting an actual response besides "it's banned, deal with it")

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
what if we bring back pirate ship, norfair, pictochat, and skyworld and allow each player 2 bans?
would that make you guys happy?

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
so why is it banned again?

(about the 10th time i've asked this without getting an actual response besides "it's banned, deal with it")
because it's one of the stages with the most KO potential. I don't think you or I or anyone has seen a match where someone hasn't lost there life to the level. Yes it's avoidable, but not when you're opponent grabs you, or when your opponent plays tennis with your character against a half of the level. And gameplay basically has to stop when the lava fills the screen. Those snake like lava things that come out do so pretty dam fast. And if you have some post lag, or pre-lag or coming out of a dodge or something there, then you could get owned by it. It can kill you. When I was brainstorming with other guys about it, I decided to try to limit the stages that could possibly kill you randomly (pictochat, pirate ship [but not so much pirate ship]) and such. I'm sorry for anyone who has been disappointed with the ban list, but I assure you I'm just trying to satisfy everyone, and I don't think that's going to happen.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
But seriously, I think this might be a good idea: bring back Norfair, Pirate Ship, Skyworld, and Pictochat, and allow players 2 bans. I need some opinions on that.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
any stage that has environment hazards should always be ban. Melee stages should always be ban, this is brawl not melee. If people are going to complain about stages than just put the neutral stages on and the rest of the levels off.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
any stage that has environment hazards should always be ban. Melee stages should always be ban, this is brawl not melee. If people are going to complain about stages than just put the neutral stages on and the rest of the levels off.

I don't agree with the not melee argument. If that we're true we would have never played Dreamland 64 in Melee.

pockyD

Smash Legend
because it's one of the stages with the most KO potential. I don't think you or I or anyone has seen a match where someone hasn't lost there life to the level.
i've never been killed by norfair besides the first time i did that event match

you realize you can shield the hazards right?

and i've said many a time, i don't even personally like norfair, but i do believe that it's plenty fair and should be legal

you want to talk about stages that can kill you? FRIGATE ORPHEON?

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
Pictochat has hella **** that can harm you...spiked walls from times, fireballs, missles..plenty of random **** you can be thrown in to. and skyworld is just ********, when the floor breaks, you can get spiked through it -_-...and other than that you can't even go through the platforms, so people start bouncing off **** and don't die untill like 200%

Pirate ship shoots bombs at you, they kill. then the low grav part, easy Uair kills.

Hanenbow is a bunch of platforms that cater to characters like Metaknight, Pit and Dedede who have multiple jumps and can easly get around the stage,

Norfair should stay banned, way to many hazards. avoidable or not, you can be thrown into them and they can kill you,

Melee stages - i dunno, its whatever but why rainbow cruise? also allows characters with multiple jumps to ****.

sorry for all the typos and ******** looking **** in this post.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
I'm disappointed in you whitebear. You see me talking to a bunch of different people about which stages should be banned, see all the f*cking stress I have to put up with, see all the people who b*tch when I post something, see all the f*cking work I do for this club and for this tournament for NOTHING in return, and ALL I'M TRYING TO DO is make everyone happy, and NOW YOU'RE trying to make me look like a f*cking idiot in front of everyone WTF MAN?!?!?
I admit I overreacted, and for that I apologize. But I still stand by what I said. So far, very very VERY few people have voiced their opinion about Norfair needing to be banned. Most I've seen are either against the banning, or have given awful arguments for banning it. Yes, the lava can kill you, and yes, your opponent can grab you and hold you in it. But have you ever tried...you know, doing the same thing? If it's so hard to do, then why can your opponent do it? Also, I hardly see the stress that can be generated by people in a message board voicing their opinions. If you want, I could just take over stage work, since I could care less about if someone gets pissy with me.

Again, I apologize and I ain't trying to make you look foolish (I'll let your infamous SDs do that for me ;D), but seriously...if one person *****es about a level killing them, it doesn't mean that their argument is a lock for a stage ban.

So far, CGCGrayfox, Zoap, Howaitakumasan, and WWJason.
Didn't know that. I thought it was just me and Chris. Again, I apologize.

But seriously, I think this might be a good idea: bring back Norfair, Pirate Ship, Skyworld, and Pictochat, and allow players 2 bans. I need some opinions on that.
Two bans? *shrug* Seems a bit much. I rarely see the need to ban one stage, let alone two. If someone wants to ban 2 stages against me, then I guess I wouldn't have problems with it. Iunno. Like I said, I rarely feel the need to ban one stage. The only time I ban a stage is when I'm doing teams, and I usually just leave it up to my partner.

Your argument fails beyond comprehension. Simply because it's a Melee stage, it's an auto-ban? Yeah, fantastic logic. Using that same logic, you shouldn't be using a GC controller, since we're on the Wii, not a GC. You shouldn't use characters from 64/Melee, either, also. I could go on.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
About rainbow cruise, it true it does give some characters advantages but thats why these stages are called counter picks. As a smash player you should be able to play in environments. It's part of the game we are measuring our skill in.

Counter pick stages are rarely used in tournaments anyways but as a player you should be willing to us stages offensively and you should also be able to deal with stages that aren't FD.

This debate just got smooth. Let's keep it that way. Where not here to put down or flame anyone.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
would that make you guys happy?
Once more, just to reiterate. You shouldn't be concerned if the people here hate you or not. If you make your decisions solely on whether you think someone is going to like you, then you're going to make bad decisions. Which is why I suggested that I take the helm on stage decision, since I could care less.

Now, on a much lighter topic: is the Saturday event going to end at 4-5, like last week? Because If I clean out the Double Dash tournament early, I may be able to make a quick stop.

EDIT: I'm a Journeyman now? Rock and roll.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
The wind is real different from lava. But anyways Pierre normal to some people right?
Maybe my last statement was a bit confusing. I was just trying to illustrate that we shouldn't ban Melee stages because they are melee stages using Dreamland 64 in melee as an example.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
NEJake, reading your last post, if you are truly stressed doing this, I urge you to drop it. running a single forum is hardly suppose to be any weight. So if you find yourself truly stressed, let me know and I'll find someone else to do it. It really shouldn't be that way.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
This entire tournament group is going to need alot of helping hands next semester actually. So if your interested in growing and guiding this community, make sure to let me know. Being a SFSU student can also earn you something nice to put on your Resume such as part of a " recognized student organization"

Sky`

Smash Lord
Cultivate your hunger before you Idealise

o hai i upgraded ur ram.​

Motivate your anger, and make them all realise...

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Oh Gamestop, will you ever learn to plan a tournament? At least my friend (who happens to manage the GS that I'm going to tomorrow) is getting advice from me.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
Is it me... or are people trippin a little TOOOOOO much...? Lawl? -_-

I might actually join the tourney 2m :o I actually have a free Saturday lulsohmuhgawd. Well, free for now ;) Only problem is waking up early :/ Hopefully I do okay considering I don't even remember the last time I touched a controller. Anyone seeing H&K2 tonight? ^_^

Also, since I'm most likely going tomorrow, can someone PLEASE bring a triwing screwdriver? Lawl I'm still looking for one. I've had an untouched sanded controller and spraypaint that have been laying there for like a brazilian years.

Shibby.

Top Bottom