• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFSU Brawl Singles Bi-Weekly - May 10th (BRING WII + SSBB!)

pockyD

Smash Legend
painted controllers feel AWFUL and if you've never felt one before, i highly recommend you feel one before ruining a perfectly good controller

WassupJB

Smash Lord
koskirby, bozo and twst vow to not to go another sfsu biweekly unless it is guaranteed to be completed. only other reason we'll come and it's NOT guaranteed finished is....if it's a special occasion where other parts of the west coast decide to come like oregon, wa or so cal..

only other reasons why i'll go to sfsu biweekly is if koskirby pays for my gas money/bart ticket to sfsu and my entry fee. and if anybody knows koskirby he can barely afford sh.t for himself so this will never happen LOL.

that is all.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
so after all this talk about laying down the law, it didn't finish AGAIN?

i don't know what to say
Agree.

If they honestly CAN NOT be finished through no fault of the TO's, then they still bit off more than they could chew in the first place. I wasn't there though so I'm not going to make any accusations specifically.

Step it up if you want more attendance. No johns.

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
There wasn't enough Wiis, if there was a few more it could have been done, friendlys and whatnot were not happening it was just to many people for the amount of Wiis there.

Zoap

Smash Master
Ok so we didnt finish this time but it was run alot better and more smoothly, big thanks to nesjake for that. Along with announcing matches he also put ppl on deck. So why didnt we finish?

First of all Zoap was 45 minutes late due to bart being a ****tard and having some construction between lafayete and pleasant hill. Jake had matches going b4 Zoap arrived and was running the tourney despite Zoap's lateness as far as he could(About halfway through the first round).

Secondly, there were over 50 entrants, 53 to be precise. No i don't know about many of you but some people cant finish a 16 man bracket in 4 hrs let alone a 64 man. As I stated Jake did a good job keepin no friendlies and having people on deck.

Third, comes the people who just disappeared to go get food, although for the most part it didn't hold us up much but 10 mins is 10 mins.

And lastly, yes there was only 4 stations. This was probably the major issue when it comes to why to not finishing.

Now we did get all the way to winners bracket finals and there were only about 16 people left in the whole tourney.

I had more fun today than I have ever had an SFSU event. IF you weren't there please don't come in here to complain about how bad these are or how they should do this. Get your own venue and run it your way.

I thank Jake for all you did today, he didn't even enter thats how much he wanted this tournament to finish. Along with that he handled the not finishing the way it shoulda been handled. A big thank you to Jake and A BIG sorry for being late today but it was mostly outta my hands.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
It seems attendance is exceeding our resources. Though that lead to disappoint to some today, I have to say that is definitely a good thing. We know we got to step up our game now. Also from what I heard, Good Job Jake. I'm sorry I couldn't help you today.

I can stay that for most of SFSU CGC events, time extension can not done. What we will have to do is start the next one earlier.

Yes, there was a Wii storage. I'm sorry. Thats my fault. I usually bring 3 of them. Note, next bi weekly will be my LAST EVENT. So we will definitely need wii contributors after that event.

50 to 60 people? Wow. I guess our word is getting out. I didn't expect what started as a small 10 to 15 man event to grow nicely. I hope we can work out the details to make sure these events continue to exist.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I had more fun today than I have ever had an SFSU event. IF you weren't there please don't come in here to complain about how bad these are or how they should do this. Get your own venue and run it your way.
I'm sure it was an admriable EFFORT. Like I said I wasn't there so I'm not accusing anyone of anything. HOWEVER if your resources can not meet the demand then it simply doesn't make sense to take entries beyond capacity; you just have to set an entry cap. If this means people who came 20 minutes after the POSTED STARTING TIME don't get to enter, so be it. Lay down the law. I view it as unfair to those people (up to capacity) that DID sign up on time to hold a tourney that is clearly not going to be able to be finished in a vain effort to make everyone happy.

I'm not complaining about anything, since I wasn't affected directly by this. But that doesn't mean I don't care about the other tourneys in Norcal, so I'm just offering my advice to hosts and TO's so that people have a good time at Norcal tourneys.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it was an admriable EFFORT. Like I said I wasn't there so I'm not accusing anyone of anything. HOWEVER if your resources can not meet the demand then it simply doesn't make sense to take entries beyond capacity; you just have to set an entry cap. If this means people who came 20 minutes after the POSTED STARTING TIME don't get to enter, so be it. Lay down the law. I view it as unfair to those people (up to capacity) that DID sign up on time to hold a tourney that is clearly not going to be able to be finished in a vain effort to make everyone happy.

I'm not complaining about anything, since I wasn't affected directly by this. But that doesn't mean I don't care about the other tourneys in Norcal, so I'm just offering my advice to hosts and TO's so that people have a good time at Norcal tourneys.

Agreed. Until we can find a way to extend our resources we may have to be more strict. Not that we want to be A-holes and all.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
thanks zoap! oh and thank you for covering me when i ran to get that vitamin water, the only thing i had to "eat" during the tournament, haha... And I appologize to everyone again for the problems. Please please please bring Wiis and possibly a couple of tv's next time. I really wanted this tournament to finish and i did the best i could. Thanks for everyone who came, and I hope you all had fun. :)

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. Until we can find a way to extend our resources we may have to be more strict. Not that we want to be A-holes and all.
And yes I did make that announcement. I told everyone we're going to NEED to start the tournament at 11 regardless of who's there or not. Oh and next time you have a laptop in the room, don't wait for me to start writing the bracket on the board to let me know, haha... you know who you are. We possibly could of started sooner if i started entering people in tio earlier...

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
All I want is my match with Nanerz. It should be on Jake's Wii, at least that's what I was told.

If you don't have a way to get it online, next tournament I'll bring a VCR and record it to a tape.

Hostility

Smash Ace
One big problem why this didn't finish is that this was supposed to start at 11 if I'm not mistaken, yet brackets started AFTER 12. This event seems to always start over an hour late, and honestly, there is no reason for it to. I manage to get to these events on time, or usually very early, and I think the TOs should be able to plan ahead enough to get stuff done on time, and the people who want to enter should plan ahead to get there well before signups start.

It was nice though that the TO was on top of the brackets and kicked people off quickly for doing friendlies. I can't really blame everything on the TOs. There were a lot of sets that went like 20 minutes long because of camping, and you can't really do much about that, and with the few setups we had, that meant there were long waits for TVs to do tournament sets on.

I think attendance is going to dwindle at these events, I heard of a lot of people very unsatisfied at once again an SFSU event not finishing. You guys should seriously evaluate how you run things, because right now, you guys have a pretty horrible rep for your tournament, and it's not undeserved either. I'm quite frustrated at not finishing so many tournaments.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
All I want is my match with Nanerz. It should be on Jake's Wii, at least that's what I was told.

If you don't have a way to get it online, next tournament I'll bring a VCR and record it to a tape.
unless i am there to record it! amirite?

oh and time for a new sig trebor. lolol

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Our next biweekly is our last one a while. Since we got to go through a planning phase for the next entire year, it will be a good chance to take into consideration what I've been hearing on this board. (Thanks for the criticism with out a negative A hole tone =) )

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
And yes I did make that announcement. I told everyone we're going to NEED to start the tournament at 11 regardless of who's there or not. Oh and next time you have a laptop in the room, don't wait for me to start writing the bracket on the board to let me know, haha... you know who you are. We possibly could of started sooner if i started entering people in tio earlier...
I hate you Jake. LOL

Samus Syndrome

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that was a huge tourney. Some of the main reasons I think it didn't finish on time are:
~People took for EVER to stop friendlies, at least 45 min's.
~We admitted late arrivals.
~Not enough TV's/Wiis.
~Took too long to get a comp.
~My match with TWST...

Still, that was a great tourney and there were some great matches.

GGs:
-TWST, wow, it took you for ever to annihilate me.
-Sheen(?), Thought you had me after that first game.
-NoR4U, Wish we could have played a few more but oh well.
-AD

Sorry if I forgot anyone...

So, after the next one when do you guys (NesJake, Grayfox) think we will start having them again? Summer?

And no, Jake, I would not like a sig.:laugh:

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
even though the tournament was a lot more well run, the fact of the matter is the tournament didnt finish again. I dont plan on attending another SFSU tournament for a long time.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that was a huge tourney. Some of the main reasons I think it didn't finish on time are:
~People took for EVER to stop friendlies, at least 45 min's.
~We admitted late arrivals.
~Not enough TV's/Wiis.
~Took too long to get a comp.
~My match with TWST...

Still, that was a great tourney and there were some great matches.

GGs:
-TWST, wow, it took you for ever to annihilate me.
-Sheen(?), Thought you had me after that first game.
-NoR4U, Wish we could have played a few more but oh well.
-AD

Sorry if I forgot anyone...

So, after the next one when do you guys (NesJake, Grayfox) think we will start having them again? Summer?

And no, Jake, I would not like a sig.:laugh:

Yeah, were going to try for summer events if possible. How here's another issue. During summer, we can get a weekday and get full resources and time. or saturday with our repeating limitations. Opinions?

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
I did get the winners bracket finished... I'm determined to finish our next event. Please bring more Wii's.

And regarding summer tournaments, I think it would probably be better for a weekday. We will have a lot more time compared to the weekend, and it'll be when no one has class, right? What do you guys think about this?

Oh, and Zel, I do have that match on my Wii. Unfortunately, I can't send or recieve replays/snapshots for some reason. But what I can do is put it on my sd card, on my computer, i send the replay file to you, and if you have an sd card and sd card reader, you can get it on your wii. Just pm me if you want me to do that for you.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
Screw it and just start tourneys at 10 :p If people don't show up, people don't show up. Usually there's a laptop from the get-go and more Wiis REALLY would've helped, but I guess we were all expecting enough wiis so no one really brought any, considering the head count. If the tourney ends as early as 4 might as well just start tourneys earlier. Either way I can say it WAS really fun.

All I can say is Jake did a GREAT job and did one of the most organized work I've ever seen during a tourney, but it's just the work to prepare that needs work. I know that Jake was just too nice by letting people join in an hour late, but if people are really complaining about things then at least some should make it an effort to come a LITTLE early. I came at 10:45 which is 15 minutes before I was told it was to start, and from then there were only like 15 people to 20. All of a sudden people came pouring in at random times. I can also bet some of the people that came after 11 were probably mad at the tourney not ending. Well, it ends at 4 and SFSU tries pushing it to 5 despite strict timing issues, and they wait for EVERYONE so they can all have a good time.

If anything the only thing Jake did wrong was make sure that everyone had a good enough time. Good seeing everyone again, and good job Jake for handling that huge turnout all by yourself. Sorry I couldn't smash after, but hopefully I can smash with you some other time.

NoR4U29

Smash Apprentice
Overall the tourny was fine. Though we didn't finish those who were still in got their money back. Besides that we all got matches which were fun. I thought that SS breaking counter was funny as hell. Jeff is only allowed to do that though. Jake did the best he could and I thought it was well worth coming.

Syn: We shall get more fights. Sonic vs Snake. Those were really fun.
$nugs: Omg you still rock at the game though you were complaining about not playing it forever.
Lucien: Sonic sucks? Don't think so. You witnessed the amazing Sonic skill first hand.
Sonic players: I got Sonic dittos. Hell yeah. But I didn't get to play Nick. ****.

Next time there should be a strict time limit. Because people were missing we had to halt matches. Understandable but we could have gotten further in the brackets. So next time if its coming down the wire just start eliminating people.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
GOOD SH.T! hahaha a few people told me you were good. was i like hell mofu.cking yeah. i gotta battle this dude. hahaha.

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys, I would like to remind you all that this friday we have another special event. We will not be having our normal friendly fridays for both Smash or Halo but instead we will be having a Mario Kart Wii + Speed Racer movie day. Come Play Mario kart and have fun. EVERYONE who comes will be given tickets to the advance showing of speed racer. This is free of course.

syra76

Smash Journeyman
Cris, could you decide on one of these:

1) A cap on Wii to entrant ratio
2) Starting MUCH earlier

EDIT: 3) Or, as I posted earlier, spamming 'entrants bring wii'

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
Yea Jason, I do need a new sig, hahaha.

That would be really cool if you could do that with the match, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Top Bottom