• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sex Symbols - A Female Character Increase

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
For now.. I think its just expected for video games to have attractive women with bigger roles. Keeps the attention on them and makes the game interesting... I can look at the many games I have and it will confirm it.. Need For Speed... Resident Evil.. Halo (Cortana/Keyes).. Final Fantasy.. Tekken..

Its just.. standard.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Since I was gone, and I don't really care to go on any more point-by-point responses, I'll just give a quick reply to this...

The sexual orientation gene is known. It's the 23rd pair of chromosomes.

Also, flame mario-man all you want, but you don't seem to have any first-hand knowledge about this either. Well, I do because I have a family member who has gone through it. And what he says is true: It's a choice. Although, not quite that simple. Social pressures, drugs, and other issues forced this person into that lifestyle. So, in that sense, it wasn't a "choice," but it certainly wasn't anything they were born with. So choice in the sense that it wasn't inherent? Yes. Choice in the sense that they consciously chose to go down that path? No.
I'm already regretting replying to that post because it's not even what this thread is for. I mostly felt the need to respond to it because of the certainty he had in what he was saying. Imagine if someone told you that you chose to be something or act a certain way when you know you didn't. I found it arrogant.

I am gay. I don't know how much "first-hand knowledge" you'd say that gives me, but speaking from my personal experience, it wasn't a choice. I'd ask about this family member of yours who claims it is a choice (I've honestly NEVER heard anyone say that, it's intriguing) but I don't know how comfortable you'd be talking about that. And again, this still isn't the thread for it. *still regretting bringing all this back up*

To keep this somewhat on topic: My one "sex appeal issue", if I can call it that, with Brawl is ZS Samus. I don't think Nintendo's going down a perverted road here, and amongst a genre filled with scantily clad females, SSB's roster has remained pretty tasteful. Even Zamus is pretty acceptable because it would make sense for her to have the body type she does and be dressed the way she is, based on what she does for a living. She just doesn't need to be flaunted. And I feel like she's been played up more than she should be. I don't know whether this is intentional or just Sakurai and the gang wanting to show off their new Samus idea. I'd like to assume it's the latter.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Chansen, the one problem in your post is that you make no distinction between an attractive character and one dressed in a manner designed to invoke lustful thoughts.

Zamus (and at least one of the soul calibur girls) is of the second type for one clear reason: they appear to be painted, rather than dressed in any realistic type of clothing. Look at somebody wearing tight clothing, and you'll notice that it only follows exterior curves. Simple tight clothing would actually be vastly more practical for an active lifestyle than clothing carefully tailored to perfectly fit every contour of their body. It'll be borderline-vulgar if I explain why in any more detail than I have, but think about it for a few seconds, and you'll know why.

Oh, and BTW, Circus, if you can't stand not responding to something but don't want to risk dragging the thread off topic, use PM's.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Pretty much every soul caliber girl is like that...or at least the majority is.

And, @Circus, what Takalth said. Don't quote something 5 pages back if you don't want people to respond to it. And I'll summarize my points again because you missed what I said: "So choice in the sense that it wasn't inherent? Yes. Choice in the sense that they consciously chose to go down that path? No."

I won't go into here why they would never say about themselves that it was a choice so as not to drag this thing down even further.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Pretty much every soul caliber girl is like that...or at least the majority is.

And, @Circus, what Takalth said. Don't quote something 5 pages back if you don't want people to respond to it. And I'll summarize my points again because you missed what I said: "So choice in the sense that it wasn't inherent? Yes. Choice in the sense that they consciously chose to go down that path? No."

I won't go into here why they would never say about themselves that it was a choice so as not to drag this thing down even further.
As I said, I regret responding to it, and I apologize. Not because I didn't expect anyone to reply to my post, but because it dawned on me that I should've been smart enough to ignore it like everyone else. I'm sorry, Takalth. I'll use PM's in the future.

I read your point about the "sense of choice", grim lizard, but that doesn't help answer my question about the act of choosing in general. Not that it matters because I'd really prefer to end all this now, anyway. I would've just PM'd this post to you (as Takalth wisely suggested), but to be honest I'd prefer for the rest of the thread to see this just because I'm essentially apologizing to the thread. That, and I doubt you'd appreciate getting into any kind of deep discussion about this anymore than I would. There isn't much to say anyway. I'm happy to let all this off-topicness die where it is now.

And I'd say something about sex appeal to add some shred of relevance to the actual topic of the thread, but I've got nothing that hasn't already been said at least once or twice.
Circus out.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Ok... So is this still going on smoothly? Or is it still in the long post and more complex thinking that Onyx has no understanding of part?

Vali

Smash Ace
I love being flamed. Must have touched a nerve or something........
Or just been a complete and utter ******. Touching a nerve has nothing to do with posting garbage for the sake of being controversial.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Ok... So is this still going on smoothly? Or is it still in the long post and more complex thinking that Onyx has no understanding of part?
Well, at the moment, there's no major discussion going. The long posts and complex thinking were quite good, actually, and I think a couple even shifted their views slightly (a great rarity in an Internet forum). However, I think we've let the subject lie for the moment, so if you want to add some new thoughts based on the original thread intent, now would be a great time for it.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I've been present for just about all the topic. I've wanted to say something but it was all too complex for me. >_<

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Ok, I completely changed this post cuz the other one was pointless.

I was just watching some old Tiny Toons stuff...wow, I forgot how some of those cartoons were so sexual a lot of times. Do you realize how many early 90's cartoons had well...let's just say that Zamus would be nothing compared to this. For example, if you know who Julie Bruin is from Tiny Toons. I mean, dang. You thought the furries with Krystal were bad...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xirDE57RlDA

Del Money

Smash Champion
meh true. but with regards to everytime outside of video games and cartoons...SEX FTW

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Ok, I completely changed this post cuz the other one was pointless.

I was just watching some old Tiny Toons stuff...wow, I forgot how some of those cartoons were so sexual a lot of times. Do you realize how many early 90's cartoons had well...let's just say that Zamus would be nothing compared to this. For example, if you know who Julie Bruin is from Tiny Toons. I mean, dang. You thought the furries with Krystal were bad...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xirDE57RlDA
Seein Elmer Fudd like that was perhaps one of the most disturbing things a kid could ever see.... I am scarred

Blackadder

Smash Master
"Sex Symbols - A Female Character Increase"
The closest thing to a sex sybol in nintendo is Zamus, and she doesn't seem to have any kinky moves to pull (As far as I can tell!! ;D) so the word "Sex symbol" fades away a bit there.
Granted, Nintendo does seem to be making a womans bust there star attraction in Brawl, but it's hardly that big an issue.

A female character increase?
I'm all for that, myself.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'll bring up one of my previous questions: What third party females would be possible entrant for Brawl?

This question however goes back to whether Nintendo is or isn't using sex appeal. If they are I'd think that they'd reach for a third party female. If not then I don't think they'd care much.

I've heard talk of Laura Croft , which would be nice, but she is basically a stripper without a poll. I don't think Nintendo would ever go there.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'll bring up one of my previous questions: What third party females would be possible entrant for Brawl?

This question however goes back to whether Nintendo is or isn't using sex appeal. If they are I'd think that they'd reach for a third party female. If not then I don't think they'd care much.

I've heard talk of Laura Croft , which would be nice, but she is basically a stripper without a poll. I don't think Nintendo would ever go there.
Laura would be cool,and I mean because she could fight. Correct spelling is "pole" by the way.:p

Spartan_187

Smash Apprentice
&quot;Come again? I'm sorry. I'm fighting the Cove
All of you people out there who love video-game characters are REALLY messed up!

#1:They are NOT real,
#2:You must be emotionally telling yourself that you are unable to find someone out there in the REAL world,
and #3:You people are getting SUCKERED into buying material just because you have fallen in love with a VG character! (Basically, they are trying to SCAM you into likeing the character so much, that you will buy the whole series of that game JUST BECAUSE of that character!)

I'm NOT saying that if it's a favorite character you like playing as, I mean that you actually LOVE that character. It's just WAY too immature!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Since when does sex equal love?

Sorry, I can't get myself to read all the wonderful, deep discussion about social matters earlier this thread. No sarcasm, either.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
"Lara" Croft wouldn't be a good one for me. Shes not an attractive character to me, shes all off proportion.

And I also will not read the entire thread since it is pretty long and the posts are long also.

But female character level needs to increase in Brawl. Theres like 7 females out of 27 (Counting IC as two characters) when there should be somewhere around half.

@Spartan 187.. I think its alright for someone to "love" a video game character. But just not to say they are "in love" with the character.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
while thinking of the below. . .it was kinda hard. I realized not many girl characters that where/are on Nintendo systems would have a shot

possible 3rd party VG ladies:

Rayne: bloodrayne
The Boss: MGS (ish)
Meryl Silverburg: MGS
Raiden: MGS (one tiny hand. . .he is a chick)
Ada : RE4 (was on gamecube)

possible Nintendo owned characters

Joanna: Perfect Dark
Midna: twilight princess (beat the game. . .and you'll see)

heck im not really sure. . .i cant think of many. . .

the grim lizard

Smash Master
All of you people out there who love video-game characters are REALLY messed up!

#1:They are NOT real,
#2:You must be emotionally telling yourself that you are unable to find someone out there in the REAL world,
and #3:You people are getting SUCKERED into buying material just because you have fallen in love with a VG character! (Basically, they are trying to SCAM you into likeing the character so much, that you will buy the whole series of that game JUST BECAUSE of that character!)

I'm NOT saying that if it's a favorite character you like playing as, I mean that you actually LOVE that character. It's just WAY too immature!
Just so you know, very little of the discussion has been about this. Also, it's impossible to love an animated character because they don't have a personality.

Also, it doesn't matter if some character is "Real"...they still have a visible look to them. Our brains don't distinguish between a person being animated or real...they see light and shades and colors and contours. Our brains sees something we like and it gets excited. It's not really fair to get on someone's case for them finding a vg character attractive. Besides, I'm pretty sure that everyone has found some video game character attractive. I mean, even Zelda's lookin' pretty good guys...:ohwell:

Rage.

Smash Ace
That last picture of captain Falcon got me to want to play the game
Hardcore sex appel right there.

I dont think that Nintendo will use that big of sex symbolees to try to get more male players
Nintendo has always been a good company, unlike Sony, which if the game wasnt a RPG or Racing game, it stared some 21 year old girl with D's

Top Bottom