• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sex Symbols - A Female Character Increase

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters are all drawn from other games- no sex appeal has been created. If anyone (Like Zamus) does display sex appeal, it is merely because she was that way in the games she was made in, and the brawl developers are merely trying to maintain a consistent design with the titles they appeared in.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters are all drawn from other games- no sex appeal has been created. If anyone (Like Zamus) does display sex appeal, it is merely because she was that way in the games she was made in, and the brawl developers are merely trying to maintain a consistent design with the titles they appeared in.

This picture just contradicted everything you just said.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This topic is insinuating that females = basically only sex...

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros doesn't target fapping old men, like DOA and Soul Calibur partially do. Expect to see nothing more than Zero Suit Samus (and Kyrstal for the fur***s).

Increase in sex appeal? No.
Increase in females? Let us hope.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
The costume she's wearing comes from the game she appeared in. How is that contradictory? If anything, that proves my point.

I didn't say there WASN'T sex appeal in the characters, only that they aren't going out of their way to make more.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
The costume she's wearing comes from the game she appeared in. How is that contradictory? If anything, that proves my point.

I didn't say there WASN'T sex appeal in the characters, only that they aren't going out of their way to make more.
I know it's from Twilight Princess. Still though, the Zelda from Zelda 1 to Zelda Ocarina of Time didn't have sex appeal. Now look how stunnin she is. If she was real, I'd so break a piece off of that! Yep!

Well we'll see if you're right when the final roster is unveiled.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I know it's from Twilight Princess. Still though, the Zelda from Zelda 1 to Zelda Ocarina of Time didn't have sex appeal. Now look how stunnin she is. If she was real, I'd so break a piece off of that! Yep!

Well we'll see if you're right when the final roster is unveiled.
For the sake of my point, let's hope Ivy from Soul Calibur doesn't make the cut :p

Heretique

Smash Apprentice
95% of the people who play Brawl will be male anyway. And all the females won't care. It's not like it's some elaborate plot, it's just how it is. The character designers might know it'll attract more attention, but they probably also just wanted to draw them like that too.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
95% of the people who play Brawl will be male anyway. And all the females won't care. It's not like it's some elaborate plot, it's just how it is. The character designers might know it'll attract more attention, but they probably also just wanted to draw them like that too.
"This is a MANS world!" James Brown

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
True :p
So....this thread ain't closed....why?
:)

That's because the final character roster hasn't been announced yet to see if we do get more sex appealish female characters. We could even get a 3rd party female girl if Sakurai feels like thinking outside of the box.

Ling Xiaoyu ftw. Ms. Pac Man ftw.

That and this topic has made 18 pages....and counting.

True Fool

Smash Ace
What's wrong with a little fan-service? Ragging on SC and DOA for having big boobies, I think that makes you the shallow gamer here.

And why not? I would be bored to death if every female character dressed like Zelda. Come on, we're grown up here, I'm sure you can stand a little bit of sex-appeal to keep characters unique.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Concerning fanservice:
There's nothing inherently wrong with some sex appeal, much less with attractive characters. It's not like attractive people don't exist. In the end, sex-appeal is just a form of beauty, which will be marketed, just like cute stuff in Japan and beautifully rendered battles and explosions in action flicks.
The question is whether the sex-appeal is applied sensibly. In the case of Zamus, sure, why not. It covers her whole body and allows for flexibility, and it's not like there's a lot of space or need for more clothing in that giant metal suit of armor.

All out political correctness is too naive to really work in the real world. It always has a point, though. In a thread about how Zamus is supposedly being sold out for sex appeal, a lot of people retorted by asking who would prefer her to be a "fat, ugly *****".
Kids have a warped sense of beauty these days because they see nothing else in most media. That leads to real problems when everyone is expected to strive for an unreachable ideal. It's never quite as easy to get by when you were unfortunately born ugly.

Anyway, the point is, it's fine as long as it stays sensible. We will always prefer our heroes to be pleasant to look at anyway, and there's a certain truth in that, too, so there's nothing really wrong with it...
We should just always be careful not to confuse the ideals of fiction with the real world.

PS: I should have waited for a later time to write this. I'm still too tired to write coherently. Also, I started writing that post with the assumption that we're in the "ZAMUS IS PURE SEX :<" topic. Whee!

Thank you :mad:
So female characters are only in Brawl for people to look at?
You might run into problems if you don't look at them while playing.

=/

True Fool

Smash Ace
Sensibility is important, not every character should be dressed in revealing tight leather. Certain characters are suited for it, they're supposed to look like they're trying to draw attention to themselves. Others can just look sexy or revealing by accident, or for necasary reasons. It's no big deal, it's not like every female video-game character of every game looks that way.

But sex-appeal is not a bad thing, if you're not attracted to it good for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't attractive. Just becauseyou think that someone attracted to a fictional character is "sick", or a "pervert" doesn't make it so.

:NOTICE: I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, if you didn't make a negative comment torwards sex-appeal, chances are you didn't help inspire this post.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
What's wrong with a little fan-service? Ragging on SC and DOA for having big boobies, I think that makes you the shallow gamer here.
But in DoA it was so blatantly obvious why they were doing it *coughDoAextremebeachvolleyballcough*

True Fool

Smash Ace
But in DoA it was so blatantly obvious why they were doing it *coughDoAextremebeachvolleyballcough*
DOAX is meant for people who want some time alone with their hand. That is definitely true. But DOA the fighting game is a fun, unique fighting game, and it's not like the male characters are devoid of revealing outfits. The only characters in DOA devoid of sex appeal were the Spartan, Gen-Fu, and Bass. And not every outfit for the appealing characters is revealing, just a lot of them.

EDIT: Ehrm, the point being, that it's not just a one way happy-wang festival. They wanted to make the characters sexy and they did. The game might sell to some people who just want some fun with their hand, but that doesn't mean someone who likes fighting games should be ashamed to play it, or even to say one of the characters is hot.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Well, I imagine a carnival with many phallic references, to the tune of 'Everybody have fun tonight' by Wang Chung.

With that being said... apology accepted. :p

Lovely

Smash Lord
Well, don't know if that's the case. Anything is possable I guess.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
that thread is just plain weird (and evil)
quick somebody! imprison it in the twilight realm!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know, this thread reminds me of a lot of fighting games that take sex appels to addict more males.

@ GreatClayMonkey: You are too funny.

Top Bottom