• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sex Symbols - A Female Character Increase

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The girls look better than the guys do, I think. But I think that's because the artist is probably just better with the more feminine features. Matthew's cute (though I think I'm basing that mostly on his clothing. Very unique) but the rest of the guys don't look like anything special. Though Heath is a little small to see well.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Really, people, there's a difference between a tastefully attractive female character and a sex-appeal femaile character. Most people on Smashboards seem to consider Zelda to be at least fairly attractive, yet she isn't at all a floozy. She wears a full, ankle length dress, complete with sleeves and a high neckline that is only moderately tight. She would be classified as a tastefully attractive female character.

Zamus, on the other hand, is dressed in a way to emphasize every part of her body. In fact, it would take a highly skilled tailor with a lot of precise measurements to make her clothing, because tight clothes only mold to outer curves, not inner. She is clearly a cheap appeal to male lust and is the reason that I will prefer to avoid using Samus's final smash (even though throwing pieces of your armor at the enemies is cool).

I think it's generally a good thing if a female character is attractive (or at least not repulsive, like Telma), but looking like a harlot is not a prerequisite, and in my opinion, generally makes them less attractive.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Midna pic=no sex appeal
Peach pic=teh hotness
Captain falcon wishes he deserved to be in the sex appeal category....

I think Nintendo should jump on the *female character only* bandwagon and make some chickfight games. I'd play em'.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
yeh i say that the nintendo characters (this includes the FE) are like my opinion with anime girls

there cute but there not necessarily sexy

there like the friends you've had since your childhood

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Totally agree with Takalth's and DonkeySmasher's points. Although, to be fair, Metroid was having Samus in a bikini back in the NES days...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Zelda's also the holder of the triforce of wisdom. She's quite far from a floozy. She's a princess who is a lot stronger than most princesses portrayed in cultures.
I think Samus' skintight uniform is a reasonable one just from a what-would-make-sense standpoint. She inhabits the power suit for her career- I imagine a man would chose a tight outfit as to not get in the way of the suit. So, I don't think the suit's the problem necessarily, even though people WOULD find it sexy regardless... it's just that this time, Brawl is actually showing her off to be a sexy character, making her super flexible and just being sexy in general. It is a pity that Samus' character is becoming MORE objectified.
I find Telma really interesting, mostly because I know a girl who was exactly like her, they even looked exactly the same. She wasn't physically attractive (to me), but she got more than her fair share of action.

Fire Emblem... Holy crap, the men are effeminate and the women are super effeminate. Matthew looked like a ****, though :). I thought Eliwood seemed the most attractive of the males, and... well, the females were all designed to be good looking and what not... I'd go for Lyn, since she seems the least skanky >_<

I like how a thread about sex is probably the most intelligent thread I've seen on Smashboards, hah.
DK Smasher: I agree with you about how Smash Bros. is a based on video game history and thus female characters will likely be stuck in the past. Good observation.

I still say Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is the most respectfully attractive female protagonist I've ever seen.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
You guys are ignorant. Metroid is the series that does the sex appeal thing to any degree. The only reason the Zero Suit even exists is because a long time ago, if you beat the game in a certain time and item percentage you got to see Samus with less on. This is just...her. I would be very disappointed if they became their new angle. Trying to sell sex is cheap and it's selling out. Then what, Nintendo becomes Microsoft?
I don't think I've ever gotten a high enough percentage to actually see any pictures with more than the helmet removed, so I don't know how bad they are. But at the very least, those things aren't really canonical, and they don't get much exposure. They don't advertise Metroid games with suitless Samus on the cover. Even in Zero Mission, I felt that the gameplay at the end put forth more of a "Crap, I'm unarmed and in the middle of a major Space Pirate facility" feel than a "ZOMG SAMUS IS NEKKID" feel...though perhaps I'm simply not qualified to recognize the latter.

The point is, even though they're annoying, the suitless pictures have never appeared in enough capacity to detract from Samus's real character, which is anything but an attention-grabbing *****. Conversely, ZSS in Brawl has been hyped more than armored Samus, and will probably be running around just as often. Furthermore, as I said earlier, there was no reason to put ZSS in the game in the FIRST place except to harp on about sex appeal. Zero Mission has no special popularity, ZSS has no inherent moveset potential, nothing. That's what makes it so much worse than anything that's been around before.

EDIT: I just did a Google search for "Samus". The first result on the web tab was Zero Suit Samus retextured so it looks like she's wearing underwear. The first result on the image tab is Samus hand-drawn in underwear.

I think I'm going to go cry now.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Try google image searching "Samus" with the filter off. (note: Don't actually do this, especially if you are at work or are underage)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Rise up, Christian gamers! I know u hate sex appeal in VGs as much as i do!
It sucks to know that we live in a world where temptation is literally everywhere.
But in VGs?! thats taking it toooooooo far! I cant stand it! Men lusting over Vg grls!
Outrageous! Im not innocent though, there r some Vg grls that I like. But cmon guys!
Sex appeal does not belong in our VGs! Lets debate this, shall we?! the name is kakashi-dono
Non christians can be offended, you don't hear that in church..

I am christian, but this kind of thing still annoys me, I have non christian friends.

I hate the fact that people can make fun of fat chicks, because they are not supposed to be, but fat beer drinking guys is ok..

I am male, and I work out and exercise, it really is not that hard, and I think that either it is ok to make fun of both (Me) Or neither (Me sometimes)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
My only question is this: who is good enough to marry Samus? She never really is the damsel in distress. She deals out explosives and doomsday devices far superior to anything in Link's arsenal. Despite her looks, she is essentially doomed to die single unless she really lowers her standards. As for SSBB, she just uses her body to get the male characters drooling; that's when she moves in for the finishing forward-air (oh please, not again).

the grim lizard

Smash Master
EDIT: I just did a Google search for "Samus". The first result on the web tab was Zero Suit Samus retextured so it looks like she's wearing underwear. The first result on the image tab is Samus hand-drawn in underwear.

I think I'm going to go cry now.
Does this make you guys feel better?
http://www.animexpansion.com/Art/Revolver/ZeroSuitSamusRevolver.jpg

The reason is because you have a lot of good artists out there who are perverted and also happen to be into video games. They could slap any person's head on there, but, unfortunately for us, it happens to be our beloved video game characters. And the reason you get such a hit on those types of pics (obviously) is based off of the site hits. Most people are posting fan pics on their sites, not screenshots from Metroid or Smash.

My only question is this: who is good enough to marry Samus? She never really is the damsel in distress. She deals out explosives and doomsday devices far superior to anything in Link's arsenal. Despite her looks, she is essentially doomed to die single unless she really lowers her standards. As for SSBB, she just uses her body to get the male characters drooling; that's when she moves in for the finishing forward-air (oh please, not again).
Heh, either like you said no one or...some technician/engineer type guy who help her modify her power suit, ship, and all that jazz. Samus may be an athletic, quick-on-her feet femme fatale, but she is no rocket scientist. She'd have to go for someone like that who would be useful to her. But dang...that would be pretty rough having to live up to that, lol

Hey...I'm an engineer...;)

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Midna pic=teh hotness
Peach pic=no sex appeal
Fixed... Midna and Krystal are the only sex appeal I need.

Anyway, Brawl will not rely on the sexual appeal for sales. Yes, they are including it in the game with Zamus, but they won't rely on it like a certain other game that revolves around it. They know what works for the Smash games.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vali

Smash Ace
6 pages (and a bit) worth of posts and still not one comment on the huge sex appeal that Tingle embodies and his affects of being included in Smash Bros.? I'm disappointed in you guys.

On a far more serious note, the demographic of videogame players are male and hence an overflow of female sex icons and a lack of male eye candy. I also believe that the lesbian/bisexual conception plays a role in the mind of the character designers where they're probably thinking as an excuse that women get something out of it too. This is because it seems at least some women try to appear more interested in the same sex in order to fulfil those male fantasies, whereas men interested in male sex icons is far less common.

The fact that it's a fantasy world also plays a big role. Characters are designed to give them personality, and the default for all characters is in their own respects for a perfect look, and this is especially true in Nintendo games where it has already competantly been pointed out that they over-use the villain archetype. It's very rare that a game will have a character which has been designed to fill a certain archetype but contains such features that are more commonly attributed to another archetype, a dark brooding hero that looked somewhat like Wario in the way that he was fat and facially unpleasing would be most uncommon. However it does seem to be a definite trend that any female character that is a main character, and therefore spends a lot of time in the focus of the user, will be pleasing aesthetically rather than somehow offending the, almost certainly :p, male gamer. Anyone else notice that the cutscenes in FFX always seemed to pan the breasts of either Lulu or Yuna or I think there was some that made a deal of getting Rikku's bum in the shot? It was pathetic.

I think the stereotypes of society are mainly to blame. It's reinforced to girls near the early teens that they should aspire to be as beautiful as possible all the time and the huge amount of vanity that stems from this is not the fault of individual but in society's standards. Any guys that take particular care with their appearance even sometimes get deemed as gay, showing how little is stressed on guys to keep up their appearances, or certainly not to the same level. Fat guys are far more common than fat women too (due to our love for steak, and afformentioned reasons) and so when we see a cartoony fat male villain it's certainly not pleasing to the eye but at the same time because it's cartoony and jokey it's bearable. When however we're shown a purposefully large woman, it's much harder for us to accept and hence most women get drawn as perfect. If perhaps society reinforced male beauty, the whole situation would be rather different.

Personally, I remember feeling sorry for Link in the Twilight Princess bit with Link and Telma and the crushing him to death. Looked painful.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I can summarize Vali's point in one sentence: Women are more attractive than men. Duh.

In any case, it's no excuse to use something like "the majority of the gaming industry is male" because if you listen to anyone from Nintendo, you see that they are clearly trying to broaden their market and involve more female players. (Half of regular DS users are girls.) Anyway, this doesn't really fit into the plan. I think...Zamus is in to please the Japanese fans, and...what are going to do? Not make her hot? Make her look like Sheik? That would be completely changing from the Zero Mission game. So...it's somewhat inevitable at that stage, I guess. But I really don't see this becoming a trend with other characters in the future.

Vali

Smash Ace
Firstly your summarisation doesn't take into account gender or doesn't make clear whether you're talking about a particular individual or as a generalisation, otherwise pretty much yeah :laugh:.

However I disagree with your statement on Nintendo. Yes Nintendo are expanding the casual market in a big way, branching out to older gamers and female gamers in particular but what you have to realise is that Brawl, Metroid etc. is still very much (hard)core gamer territory and it will be their needs that will be tailored to when it comes to the respective designs of the characters etc. in those games. The fact that Samus is hot or not really isn't an issue because they were always going to make her hot beneath that cold metal exterior, but it's more the fact that Nintendo never really played up the fact that Samus was a hot blonde to the big and blatent level that they are now with these Brawl screenshots and trailers. The idea wasn't to change her from being hot, it's just not to brand everything concerning Brawl with ZSS showing off pre-rendered T&A.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Firstly your summarisation doesn't take into account gender or doesn't make clear whether you're talking about a particular individual or as a generalisation, otherwise pretty much yeah :laugh:.
It takes everything into consideration. That's just how it is.

Diggabob

Smash Rookie
i think when i look at peach over the time , her look in the mario soccer games is not soo tiny and cute anymore like it was always before. You can notice that they designed her a much hotter way that time...

Takalth

Smash Ace
Really, the comparison between video game girls and guys is similar to the one you see in other media (movies, in particular). Something about a guy's personality makes him much better at pulling off a great character without being highly attractive.

Find a female equivalent of Chris Farley, for example. She doesn't exist. On the rare occasion that a girl is widely considered to be funny, she is usually good looking as well (Sandra Bullock, for example).

Look into almost any entertainment media, and you see a greater variety of male personalities than female ones. Even in media created by females, this is usually the case (Books by Margaret Weis or CS Friedman, as another example).

I haven't completely figured out why this phenomenom exists, but it's there.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Zero-Suit Samus is a sultry blonde in a skintight suit who uses a whip in battle, Ivy be ****ed. She´s all the sex symbolism Super Smash Bros. needs.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
This really isn't a new phenomenon. One of the oldest examples I can think of this situation is like Falstaff from some of Shakespeare's plays. I mean, he was the exact same way--he was supposed to be this large, lazy, disgusting individual. But, instead of being reviled, he's a comic relief. Even Queen Elizabeth loved this character.

Click for some more info, if you want it.

I mean, would this really have been pulled off if this was a woman? Maybe not back in Shakespeare's time, but today, who knows.

Maybe it has something to do with the Madonna-***** complex as well.

Note: Sorry about that. The link got censored as well. I'll explain it here.

Basically, it's a Freudian theory that develops occasionally in men. They have difficulties having romantic situations with some women because they remind them of their mother. So, they sometimes go for really skanky girls. It's one of those dual-nature problems.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Peach in Mario strikers charged is a different person to that princess who was in another castle. She swings that butt with an attitude as bad as Wario's smell.
She really isn't. That one was a red-head.

Really, the comparison between video game girls and guys is similar to the one you see in other media (movies, in particular). Something about a guy's personality makes him much better at pulling off a great character without being highly attractive.

Find a female equivalent of Chris Farley, for example. She doesn't exist. On the rare occasion that a girl is widely considered to be funny, she is usually good looking as well (Sandra Bullock, for example).

Look into almost any entertainment media, and you see a greater variety of male personalities than female ones. Even in media created by females, this is usually the case (Books by Margaret Weis or CS Friedman, as another example).

I haven't completely figured out why this phenomenom exists, but it's there.
That's very true, and I'm glad you brought that up. It's much harder for a girl to be funny than a guy. (Also why male nudity is often portrayed as humorous.) But you absolutely hit the nail on the head. This is why a character like Wario is acceptable. He has the personality. Most people, however, don't like to acknowledge the differences between men and women. Most people associate differences with superiority. Lots of people can't accept that differences are good; they add variety, and we should accept them.

This is absolutely how it is, though. I don't want to endorse a stereotype, but this is probably why guys are inclined to be attracted to beauty/physicality and women are more inclined to be attracted toward personalities. I don't support the exploitation of women in such demeaning ways as this, though, just to be clear.

Anyway, I really haven't figured this out fully yet (not sure I ever could), but it is something I've continued to notice as I've gotten older. I could give you a general reason why this is, but most people probably wouldn't like my answer.

This really isn't a new phenomenon. One of the oldest examples I can think of this situation is like Falstaff from some of Shakespeare's plays. I mean, he was the exact same way--he was supposed to be this large, lazy, disgusting individual. But, instead of being reviled, he's a comic relief. Even Queen Elizabeth loved this character.

Basically, it's a Freudian theory that develops occasionally in men. They have difficulties having romantic situations with some women because they remind them of their mother. So, they sometimes go for really skanky girls. It's one of those dual-nature problems.

Just so you know, I studied Psychology, and most Psychologists consider the vast majority of Freud's work to be a sham. Maybe 75-90% of his theology has been disproven over and over again in Psych experiments.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Most people, however, don't like to acknowledge the differences between men and women. Most people associate differences with superiority. Lots of people can't accept that differences are good; they add variety, and we should accept them.
Yes, accepting diversity is good. But if you tell people specifically what kind of diversity they are allowed to represent at birth and bar them from growing outside those stereotypes should they so choose, then you don't accept diversity at all, period. I feel very strongly about this.

This is absolutely how it is, though. I don't want to endorse a stereotype, but this is probably why guys are inclined to be attracted to beauty/physicality and women are more inclined to be attracted toward personalities. I don't support the exploitation of women in such demeaning ways as this, though, just to be clear.
Well, I'm male, and if I don't feel an emotional connection with someone's personality, then I feel no romantic attraction to her whatsoever no matter how aesthetically pleasing her body might be. Is that wrong? Would it be somehow better for myself or the world if I went against my feelings and deliberately worked my way into obviously destructive relationships just because I happen to be male?

Just so you know, I studied Psychology, and most Psychologists consider the vast majority of Freud's work to be a sham. Maybe 75-90% of his theology has been disproven over and over again in Psych experiments.
Heh. Even 19th century psychologists used sex appeal as a fast track to undeserved fame. Oh what a world we live in.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that us guys are just so visual. Girls can look at a several pictures of "manly" men and have no physical attraction. Way more guys are into porn than girls because merely seeing a suggestive picture can throw all the switches in our heads.

Now, this isn't the whole guy vs girl equation, obviously, but it's an important part of it. Another important part, I think, has to do with recent developments in women's rights. No one wants to create a fat lady as comic relief because that would seem blatantly sexist and unfunny in a way similar to why race jokes would be unfunny, since you're slighting both women AND fat people.

Anyways, the best thing to do here, I think, is to just not overthink things. The trick here, from what I think other people have said, is to not make a big deal out of a character's physical attractiveness. Samus does this well because (a) she has no love interest and (b) she wears armor all the time which hides it. SSBB is kind of messing it up, but I wouldn't worry too much unless ZSS starts taking over the real metroid games.

[edit] It is also important to recognize diversity within diversity. Women may be less visual than men as a rule, but the rule is statistical. It's an average. There are bound to be exceptions and in the case of specific people you know you shouldn't just assume. [/edit]

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hmm... I actually know a lot of girls, all of which lead me to believe that women are just as horny as men. Many even say that themselves, not just about themselves. My ex-girlfriend explained that it's just less noticeable for girls due to... obvious reasons. According to her, they often don't even notice themselves when they are.

It's the same for the subject of bisexuality in girls, which Vali, I think, addressed. If I remember correctly, he said it was like that to please male fantasies about lesbians? I doubt it. From experience.
I figure that might be in part or completely due to this whole issue of women being regarded as the beautiful gender. It's just so much more acceptable for women. I'm convinced that in a really equal society, men would huggle and snuggle sometimes, too.

Wyvern, I think I'm the same as you. At least in reality. I find it very hard to be attracted to someone I don't know or even someone I don't like.
I'm also convinced that the personality of a person in some way shines through in their exterior. The face, I mean. Apples ***** are no sign of any sort of kindness. However, a fat woman can have a kind face and be beautiful. As proof, I present you fat, black, female gospel singers. They may not look like the typical beauty, but women like them tend to have a fascinating face and demeanor.

I'd make a more intelligent post, but I'm tired and this subject depresses me sometimes. I'll go to bed.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yes, accepting diversity is good. But if you tell people specifically what kind of diversity they are allowed to represent at birth and bar them from growing outside those stereotypes should they so choose, then you don't accept diversity at all, period. I feel very strongly about this.
I accept diversity but not pervertedness. There is a difference. I won't elaborate.

My point is just that men and women are different. Period. And society wants to equate women to men, which I think is just wrong because it's not true. How can they be equal when they are so different? (I'm not talking about human rights, I'm talking about trying to equate the sexes as the same.)

Well, I'm male, and if I don't feel an emotional connection with someone's personality, then I feel no romantic attraction to her whatsoever no matter how aesthetically pleasing her body might be. Is that wrong? Would it be somehow better for myself or the world if I went against my feelings and deliberately worked my way into obviously destructive relationships just because I happen to be male?
I don't either. I didn't say that because I support the stereotype, but all stereotypes are based off of some truth. Personality is numero uno to me, however...I can't deny that I have been attracted to girls that I could never spend more than 5 minutes with. It's that whole "You were beautiful before you opened your mouth" kind of thing.

Again, I said I didn't want to endorse the stereotypes because I don't agree with where they lead, as you pointed out. However, men definitely are more visually-driven, and women (as a rule) are less shallow than men. I know there are plenty of exceptions to all of this, but those are a pretty good rule of thumb.

Because if you consider each gender as a whole, males are going to be funnier, and females are going to be more physically attractive. That was the point Takalth was making, and I agree.

And on this whole comparing fat men and fat women...I think there is a good analogy for that. It's like having a chip on a piece of China and having a chip on a wrench. You're going to notice/care about one a lot more than the other, for obvious reasons.

Vali

Smash Ace
It's the same for the subject of bisexuality in girls, which Vali, I think, addressed. If I remember correctly, he said it was like that to please male fantasies about lesbians? I doubt it. From experience.
I figure that might be in part or completely due to this whole issue of women being regarded as the beautiful gender. It's just so much more acceptable for women. I'm convinced that in a really equal society, men would huggle and snuggle sometimes, too.
It's much more accepted for women because in a male dominated society it's suited to their fantasies for women to be more friendly. In a truly equal society sure men could snuggle, but in reality people would bring out the sticks and torches and go queer hunting. I was using the male fantasies as more of a tool that women use to make themselves appear more attractive as most guys like the idea of 2 hot women + him together. You get the true bisexual women interested in both sexes and those that merely fake it to appear more attractive to a guy they might be trying to pull for example.

Not really trying to derail this topic into lesbians and bisexuals though. Can anyone name a female character that played a main role in a storyline that was average looking at best and managed to pull off being successful? I honestly can't off the top of my head :/.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
It has less to do with what society deems "acceptable" and more to do with the differences between men and women, as I just said. Girls are more touchy feely than guys. It's not because that's how they were raised; it's because that's how they were made. That's just how girls are. The more we try to do what you said and "equate the sexes" the more we'll be slaves to our differences.

Vali

Smash Ace
You're making points from purely a nature perspective, saying that all girls are determined by their genetics to behave in such a way. However I think you play down the nurture card far too much, as while I fully understand that boys and girls are far different in their innate attitudes, I really do believe that society's social boundries also play a part in molding them into a certain fashion. Instead of it being either nature or nuture it's much more likely that the 2 are in tandem.

Let me give you an example of sitting on each other's laps. It's perfectly alright for 2 girls to do it and yet if 2 boys were to do it then they would be made fun of. That isn't really anything to do with genetics as far as I think, but more to do with how we are brought up to think. However it is also perfectly reasonable to argue that they girls would be far more comfortable sitting on each other's laps because they naturally bond much closer and form far stronger emotional ties than male relationships. Once again though I could argue that it seems not only imprinted into our innate thoughts but also in the attitudes reflected by male society in general that "real men don't show emotions".

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Where do you think those attitudes came from? Just out of the blue? Society either nurtures the way we are supposed to be naturally or it corrupts us.

If you really want to study how it's more of a natural thing rather than ingrained, just watch some toddlers sometime. While males may be more affectionate at a young age than they would older (do to your said grooming), they are still less so than girls. You're comparing how a guy changes as he gets older from being exposed to society, whereas I'm trying to stick to male and female comparisons only. If it's too hazy to figure out when they're at that teen age or older, as I said, just look at them at a young age.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Homosexuality is wrong. If you are one, not to come across mean, but it's because of choices that you make. Now maybe you grew up being told that it was okay, but it was still your choice to be that way. It is NOT genetic!!!!
I don't care how many doctors or scientist say that it is, it is NOT. They make up the theory in their minds, because they feel guilty for certain things and try to hide the wrong things that they do. It is not natural to be like that.
Now if you understand me, the parts don't fit together for a reason. Because they were not intended to be that way. Not trying to preach at ya, but Jesus can deliver you from it if you ask him to. Look at it like this, If -- as certain groups of people are trying to do -- everyone becomes gay or lesbian, the world will essentially kill itself off because their will be no more kids. Not a good thing if you ask me.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I accept diversity but not pervertedness. There is a difference. I won't elaborate.
I think maybe you should elaborate, because there's a hell of a lot more than differing opinions on sexual intercourse at stake here.

My point is just that men and women are different. Period. And society wants to equate women to men, which I think is just wrong because it's not true. How can they be equal when they are so different? (I'm not talking about human rights, I'm talking about trying to equate the sexes as the same.)
Do you honestly think that the rift between men and women would be as big as it is now if society didn't specifically push men and women into those pre-defined roles? Well, maybe you do, and I could disagree with you for a hundred pages and it wouldn't get us anywhere, so I'll try a slightly different take.

You say it's wrong to compare women against male stereotypes. Well, let's say there's a man who happens to not relate to those same stereotypes. He doesn't like sports, he cares about the emotional rather than the physical implications of relationships and sexual intercourse, he would rather stay home and raise a family while his wife has a big career and is the main provider (and is happy to do so), or whatever. Pick any situation you want, I guarantee there are some people in the world who would match it. Would it be fair for him to be compared against male stereotypes? Because that's what happens. Most of his male peers--the ones who do fit into the "normal" gender roles--would mock him, say he was a wimp, say he wasn't a "real man", etc, even though he's perfectly happy with his life. Even though he'd be completely miserable if he lived the kind of life that they all strove for.

You say that you recognize that there are a lot of exceptions to the general tendencies. Well, the presence of enforced stereotypes in society hurts those people. In fact, that's pretty much the only thing stereotypes do...encourage people to mistreat one another for being on different sides of the walls they create. If you think it's okay for people to go against stereotypes, how can you also say it's okay for society to try to force people indiscriminately into those stereotypes?

EDIT: Wow, I missed a lot of discussion while I was writing that.

Where do you think those attitudes came from? Just out of the blue? Society either nurtures the way we are supposed to be naturally or it corrupts us.

If you really want to study how it's more of a natural thing rather than ingrained, just watch some toddlers sometime. While males may be more affectionate at a young age than they would older (do to your said grooming), they are still less so than girls. You're comparing how a guy changes as he gets older from being exposed to society, whereas I'm trying to stick to male and female comparisons only. If it's too hazy to figure out when they're at that teen age or older, as I said, just look at them at a young age.
I'd be a lot more inclined to believe that if it wasn't for the fact that pressure towards gender stereotypes begin from the day of your freaking birth. Baby boys get put in blue overalls and are given toy trucks, baby girls are stuffed in pink dresses and given dolls, everyone gets told stories about the dreaded cooties, parents push their babies and toddlers towards relationships between people of their own gender, and they never get a chance to say "what do I think about all this", because they're put into this environment before they can think for themselves.

And yet in spite of all this, some people still turn out different.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think maybe you should elaborate, because there's a hell of a lot more than differing opinions on sexual intercourse at stake here.
What mario-man said.

Do you honestly think that the rift between men and women would be as big as it is now if society didn't specifically push men and women into those pre-defined roles? Well, maybe you do, and I could disagree with you for a hundred pages and it wouldn't get us anywhere, so I'll try a slightly different take.
I'm not sure what you mean by "rift," but I have no problem with gender roles. I think they are not only healthy but natural. I'm not sure where you're going with this; so I'll do my best to answer. I'm not saying all women have to stay at home and don't belong in the work place. BUT, there definitely shouldn't be a push for that, and those that take care of children at home shouldn't be looked down upon. Also, I do think that the more mothers are at work away from their children and instead of a hired sitter watching them, the more likely it is that the kids will be messed up.

You say it's wrong to compare women against male stereotypes. Well, let's say there's a man who happens to not relate to those same stereotypes. He doesn't like sports, he cares about the emotional rather than the physical implications of relationships and sexual intercourse, he would rather stay home and raise a family while his wife has a big career and is the main provider (and is happy to do so), or whatever. Pick any situation you want, I guarantee there are some people in the world who would match it. Would it be fair for him to be compared against male stereotypes? Because that's what happens. Most of his male peers--the ones who do fit into the "normal" gender roles--would mock him, say he was a wimp, say he wasn't a "real man", etc, even though he's perfectly happy with his life. Even though he'd be completely miserable if he lived the kind of life that they all strove for.
Actually, most men wouldn't mock him at all, and in fact, may be a little jealous that he gets to stay at home all day. Therein lies the problem. But, I'm not going to try to argue against some guy you made up. Give me a real person and a real situation, and I'll tell you what I think. Otherwise, what I say can be too easily beat down. I'm not going to fall into that trap.

In any case, I never said everyone has to fit into a gender stereotype. In fact, I believe that is the very first thing I said before I brought anything up. I said: "I don't endorse stereotypes, but..."

You say that you recognize that there are a lot of exceptions to the general tendencies. Well, the presence of enforced stereotypes in society hurts those people. In fact, that's pretty much the only thing stereotypes do...encourage people to mistreat one another for being on different sides of the walls they create. If you think it's okay for people to go against stereotypes, how can you also say it's okay for society to try to force people indiscriminately into those stereotypes?
When did I say "it's okay for society to try to force people indiscriminately into those stereotypes"??

I'd be a lot more inclined to believe that if it wasn't for the fact that pressure towards gender stereotypes begin from the day of your freaking birth. Baby boys get put in blue overalls and are given toy trucks, baby girls are stuffed in pink dresses and given dolls, everyone gets told stories about the dreaded cooties, and they never get a chance to say "what do I think about all this", because they're given all of these ideas before they can think for themselves.

And yet in spite of all this, some people still turn out different.
OK...I'm not sure what your point there was.

By the way, did it ever occur to you that men and women are different??

EDIT: Just to make it clear where I stand, I'll explain: I doubt most people around here have ever done ballroom dancing. Well, I do. I've been doing it for a while now. Anyway, that is how I view how the male-female relationship (not friendship) should be. In dancing, the man leads, and the dances (in most cases) are about showing off the lady. I think this fits very well with gender roles in society. And I think gender roles are important (not necessarily how society views they should be, but I won't go into that), just like gender roles are very important in dancing. Without it...well, you really can't dance.

I'm not going to tell women they can only stay at home or men that they are not allowed to do that. I have my opinions on those things, but they aren't important in the broad scheme of what I'm trying to say. For those, though, as I said, I'd have to judge it on a case-by-case basis. I'm not arguing about "breaks in the trends." I will say that without a doubt I believe that men should be the leader in the relationship. I think this is very important, and the relationship really cannot work otherwise. Criticize that if you want, but it doesn't work. Besides, women want men to take the lead. I'll go back to my dancing thing. It really is hard for women to try to lead; in some of my classes, we were very short on males, and it was quite obvious that the women were struggling to lead. Just looking at the male-female couples, though, it is very important that the man leads. As my (female) dance instructor emphasizes over and over "Be a man." Complain all you want about gender roles and gender stereotyping. My female instructor tells us, "Be a man." That means, show her where to go, lead her, guide her with your left arm and move her with your right arm.

Don't complain to me that gender roles are unfair. Aside from the dancing analogy...Do you know that the best moms are female and the best dads are male? Along with that, boys needs a male role model to learn from, and they look to their fathers. Similarly, girls need a female role model and look to their mothers. It's only natural. It's not being force-fed; it's how it's supposed to be. Boys will naturally look to their fathers to fill this role (and girls to their mothers as well). Anyone who cannot acknowledge this has missed a lot going on around him. Boys without fathers living at home often go off and get into serious trouble in life. This is also why a father has such a strong impact on his son in what he says and does and why a son is so inclined to follow in his father's footsteps (whether he intends to or not).

Lastly, to touch briefly on this whole girl-girl, boy-boy comfortability thing...Obviously in my class it was far easier for girls to dance with one another than the guys. Was this because of how we were raised? Not exactly. Girls are used to touching in their communication; this continues to be the trend even when they're married, etc. I can tell you this: I'm perfectly comfortable in my sexuality and blah blah blah, but for one of our last classes, they had us pair guy-guy just for a sort of fun dance competition thing; well, I was with a very good friend of mine, and everyone around us was doing the same, but I will be honest...it still felt very weird. And it wasn't because of anyone's opinions because everyone else is the one who encouraged us to do it. It's not because of how we were raised; it's because of how (most) males interact with one another vs. how (most) females interact with one another.

I realize there is always an exception to anything, but if we were to avoid the generalizations because of every exception, we really couldn't say anything at all.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
OK...I'm not sure what your point there was.
His whole point is (a) that gender roles are harmful and (b) gender roles stem only from upbringing. This whole argument is just nature vs nurture all over again.

Personally, I don't see gender roles as that bad of a thing, but they can cause problems when people who follow the trend don't understand people who don't follow the trend. At the same time not having gender roles, I believe, causes problems too.

I emphasized the "I believe" because it's what I believe, not what I know for a fact. What evidence I could present would be vague and anecdotal like wyvern's examples of men who can't understand men who stay at home.

----

As for how women get horny, from my conversations with married people they seem to do it in a different way then men do. Specifically, one married man said that women are more stimulated by (a) thoughtfulness (bringing flowers, doing the dishes, organizing the date so that you can see the sunset with violin music) and (b) touch.

Could any girls chip in as to whether the above matches with their experience?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
When did I say "it's okay for society to try to force people indiscriminately into those stereotypes"??
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting something you're saying, then. So let's try to start over. You seem to have spoken in favor of rigidly defined gender roles for men and women. Some men and women are unhappy with the idea of being stuck in their own predefined gender role, or perhaps either gender role. Examples are a woman who has dreams of prospering in a given career regardless of the fact that it is probably a male-dominated field, or a man who would prefer the quiet life of a homemaker to a hardworking job which would give him fame and fortune. What is your opinion about these people?

And I'm going to try really hard to ignore Mario-man's contributions to this argument, because then there's no hope for it becoming anything other than a flame war.

Top Bottom