• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Shaya Shaya I'm sad that you seem to be dropping Marth at least as one of your mains, but I'm glad you are back. I doubt that Marth will be ever considered a "joke character" in competitive, but sadly you are probably right about every thing you said. I am not going to drop Marth, since I still enjoy using him, but I think it has been long enough to accept that Marth will never even be a upper mid tier character, and long enough to no longer have hopes that Marth will get any buffs that will ever bring him up significantly. I suspect that we will be getting AT MOST two more balance patches and I highly believe that Marth will get buffed, though I also highly believe that those buffs won't do jack **** to really make Marth overall a better character in competitive play.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
For tournament I will be looking at pushing Roy, I will likely find Marth usage in other times I'm not feeling Zero Suit. I'm sure there are a lot of match ups Marth will feel good for using, matching or outdoing Roy; Roy isn't infallible in his design, nor does his better options always match to some of the particular strong options Marth has. I just find that difficulty difference possible to overcome or compensate for on Roy, and that for those who kinda look at melee or brawl with nostalgia can likely find Our Boy, who art in Emblem. For those learning Smash or enjoying the learning curve of Marth, you may eventually find those skills transferable to Roy if you so wish to transition.

Another thing is I suppose I could almost give a literal list of additions Marth should have that are well within constraints/paradigms and make confident suggestions elsewhere, and perhaps luck may befall us. Anything and everything is still possible I'd say.

Or they could delete Cloud and then things won't feel as bad~

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Shaya Shaya Welcome back. This is a wonderful post and I'm really happy that nearly all the things that have been going through my head about Marth, Roy, and Cloud are mentioned here. I'd like to have a link to your post in my signature if you don't mind.

Anyway, here are my thoughts/comments written between your post:
Hmm, I'm not too keen on expressing personal things yet, I will get around to it at some point I'm sure.
In terms of business as usual (Marth), this diatribe written live now has been in the back of my mind for a while, full of negativity, I warn you not to read it if you think it will be worth getting upset [at me] over.

(begins spoiler box). Marth to me isn't a redeemable character at this time. I've had a lot of ups and downs in thought, and despite me knowing his match ups against his cohort and various stronger characters of a certain archetype are noticeably positive, he does feel low tier to me.
Same.
I've all but rekindled my love of Marth as a character through Roy; and any exercise I go through points further towards him. Marth in smash4 is completely and utterly a subset of Marth in Brawl, the only areas this isn't the case are his slight gains in weight (but he's the lightest swordfighter after MK and for his data/abilities is way too light) and shieldbreaker. In a game where nearly everyone has better mobility due to the game's speed up, Marth moves the same as he did in Brawl with a significantly worse moveset.
Exactly. His weight in unbalanced. With his weak kit, it does not match his hurtbox size and data at all. This is true especially this patch after other characters' mobility buffs, kill power buffs, landing lag buffs, and Cloud's existence. Yeah, he did get the nearly universal run speed increase from Brawl but that's it. He unfortunately wasn't among the lucky bunch that received huge air (or ground) speed buffs in the transition to Smash 4 (though IMO Marth would feel weird with more air speed; I actually prefer Melee's 0.9 air speed for him where it is coupled with the walking fortress Melee Marth is).
Marth lacks rewarding game play in Smash4, as in the whole "I have a goal to advance and when it's achieved I not only feel good about it, it means I've beaten my opponent and outplayed them in a consistent way". Marth is completely devoid of such capabilities, and is one of the only few characters in the cast that I feel has no light at the end of a tunnel, even if he is overall stronger and more consistent than lower chars. The closest thing to this would've been shieldbreaker medium charge breaking shields, but we lost that full second set up with multiple escape routes in the shield change patch; FAIRLY to some extent, shieldbreaker is cancer on wifi. Counter is also essentially cancer in the context of wifi, a lot of our 'power' is loaded in moves that aren't remotely useful 95% against competent players in 1v1.
This is exactly what I've been learning in tournament. I have been soul searching for a consistent game plan. Marth has consistency issues for many reasons in this game and I just can't organize my gameplay the way I want to. There comes a point where blaming yourself is not enough.

RIP Shield Breaker. We didn't even get close to its potential. Even a medium charge pre-nerf was overkill.

And that is unfortunately what it comes down to. I have no doubt in my mind that in their data, Marth sucks on For Glory, especially with it being FD only. But they feel that they gave him enough to work with. Unfortunately, your 95% statement is among the problems.
As I've been pushing Roy further, I've been thinking that Roy and Marth are "split" from Brawl Marth, and when you look at what S4 Marth is (and these conclusions were prior to Cloud's release, I'll get to that), a completely worse version of his previous self, and then look at Roy who has multiple gains over Brawl Marth and less things taken away than Brawl Marth, it's hard to think of Marth as not the "Dan" of Smash Bros; Cloud really sets this one in stone.
By looking at Roy's data and comparing it to Marth in S4/Brawl, it is pretty obvious to me that S4 Marth was very lazily put together, a heavy amount of copying and pasting with blanket changes/nerfs/removals. Roy on the other hand comes with larger hitboxes on his sword, with noticeably longer range than Marth's, maintained hilt hitboxes which are sizable, and comes with body hits which give consistent sweet spots in certain areas, travel in straight lines rather than following his sword and hence avoids a lot of the frustrations which we often have trying to play this character; **** missing or losing out because our moves aren't designed to hit other opponents (at least in contrast to other characters... including those as close to us as Roy). It's a very sad thing, and at this stage it's impossible to pretend it was an accident.
Heck, they could just copy Roy's extra 2-4 hitboxes per move, give them to us with the numbers adjusted (i.e. worse/as sour spots) and we'd have a significantly stronger character to use. Will we get this though? Chances are we won't if we haven't yet.
I can see that. Roy indeed has a lot of Brawl Marth in him.

Not sure what "the Dan" means.

There are far too many oversights in Marth's moveset that it is infuriating the more I discover how much better I can perform if this and that weren't so. Roy being DLC really helped him. He had that development time he needed and they knew he had to be impressive and "cool" so they could SELL$$$ his DLC to more people. He feels great in the hands and it's mostly his generous hitboxes doing that. It's very similar to the Melee Marth experience actually when you combine it all.

Can you please elaborate on "travel in straight lines rather than following his sword"?

That would be nice. Marth has had sour-sour spots before and he still does. Example: Dash Attack, Utilt, Brawl Fair, Brawl Dtilt. He truly needs something to protect his body. They focused far too much on making it just the blade this game. But Shaya, I can almost guarantee that nothing even partially like this will happen to Marth. This is probably what they falsely consider one of his "character traits" at this point.
The only optimal choices Marth has in this game (dash movement, fast fall aerials), going by the numbers we have, is achieved by Roy, in some cases literally twice as fast.
His sword is reaching roughly 10-20% longer [example, Roy's jab reaching 12.2 units to Marth's 10]. "Oh but it's sour spots shaya, they suck"; to some extent that's besides the point, but I can assure you his tipper hits are lovely to work with. Roy has poor match ups with characters Marth can handle; he has little chance against Rosalina or DK yet Marth can deal with both reliably. But besides these, Roy will be doing exactly what Marth would want to do but with a lot more reward against everyone else.
Aerials which string together (how nice is a fair/bair with 5+ frames less end lag?), air times which don't leave massive 20-30 frame windows of vulnerability where we have 0 options. Reliable and long lasting bread and butter combos with fair (or other aerials) and down tilt into dancing blade (things we had in Brawl but will never combo in Smash4). Fairs chaining into fairs. A jab that gives us real follow ups. A grab game that has DI mix ups and follow ups or huge positional gains we can capitalize on. Optimal use cases that are "REAL" and not reliant on mix ups that resoundingly lose to shield or having superior mobility options.

For that reason, despite the longer start up of fair and less weaving time, Roy feels very good to use his aerials. There isn't really ever a question on whether he should just fast fall or wait it out. He's rewarded more for either choice, while Marth gets the same reward if he waits 20+ frames first.
The extra shield stun/push back and implicit safety of higher damage on tippers is ultimately mute when you're reaching about 1/7th further on these sour hits. Oh and doubly so if you have a sweetspot vertically above you almost an entire sword's length in reach/size away from you too.
I noticed that other than Roy's Fsmash, his Bair, Fair, and Uair reach further horizontally for some reason. Can you please explain your "units" more and why both of our findings are the case?

RIP Dtilt to a working DB. I love the "Optimal use cases..." sentence.
Now Cloud's release has made me quite sad. Cloud has almost taken every single feature and capability of other sword characters (and also other good characters in general), and has received them in a stronger and better form.
When it comes to comparing Marth to Cloud specifically, there is not a single real thing I feel that Marth can do better than him. Marth's recovery has been almost as trash as Cloud's this entire time, yet people are still not fully capitalizing on this (why would they when they don't need to? you don't need to know the Marth match up in and out to beat him). Cloud weighs A LOT more, has the same start up as us with a bigger sword, a lot of range added to his attacks by stepping forward, significantly less cool down on everything he has compared to us, and has in 2 weeks achieved more than Marth has in an entire year+; at some point I'll go in length to describe how much Smash4 character design has reached League of Legends status (i.e. "how do we make someone new and exciting? oh I know, let's make their 4 abilities do 8 things instead of 4 like everyone else!"), but in particular Cloud's design makes me very very upset as a sword character enthusiast.
At least Roy has his better mobility and more rewarding + reliable sweetspots to match up with Cloud's braindead button mashing win approach.
Cloud's fsmash outranges shieldbreaker, yeah, the move that has Marth break his arm off from his elbow to have an extra moment of 25% extra range; his side-b is a better version of dancing blade, he has a lot better mobility and matches with super heavies. He doesn't lose to attrition because of his disgusting weight and ability to end stocks or make massive comebacks at any given moment (that don't have 40+ frames of end lag for your opponent to kill you in) when coupled with a charge ability and projectile. Spacing with him is a breeze because his attacks will beat out any other character, no random hand exposed completely in front of him several frames before hitboxes come along (dtilt, fair, jab, ftilt, etc), he will step forward just as much as Sheik does with forward air as he attacks before stepping backwards immediately after hitboxes end to make him immune to punishes unless you power shield. I actually don't want Cloud in this game competitively at all, he's the type of character to ruin it.
Everything we concluded was fair for Marth to not have so this game could be "good" exists on Cloud in arguably stronger ways in some instances than he was in Brawl.(ends)
This is also what I came up with while studying Cloud. I've never seen a character so young in the metagame rack up damage, pressure, kill, basically do everything better than most characters in one package. He truly does steal the best of Marth, Ike, and Roy (and some of their weaknesses) plus the LB and projectile. His throw game and recovery hold him back but I am still afraid of where this character will take things. His Uair alone in his sea of bull**** is enough to embarrass every other sword wielding character.
Overall Marth is still something I can't give up on and I enjoy playing him, but I think my decade of maining and mastering Marth is now inadequate compared to the year's development of every other better character. Come February (assuming no indications balance patches will continue), Marth will very likely be set in stone as a joke character in competition. I'm not looking forward to it. I think Roy's potential is still greater than we understand and he has room to develop while having the abilities to achieve more for less; if you really do like the play styles of Marth, learning to adjust to using Roy to do all the things you like is very likely worth the investment.

Despite all of that there is a long list of "meta" things I've come about to use that may not be common practice yet but I likely won't recall it all in a single instance. The DB3 down changes are pretty positive in my eyes as it may lead to more consistent tipper final hits on DB which will lead to kills. Jab into neutral air or dolphin slash is likely the ultimate 50/50 for it at best. Dolphin Slash as a tack on 7% for our vertical follow ups or to chase people jumping away is surprisingly good in practice. We should never be doing rising forward air as rising back air is noticeably safer and more useful. Dancing Blade is, after the shieldbreaker cut, our best move that we need to use constantly to keep up with the DPS and rewards of other characters. If you learn to time landing down air to hit at maximum horizontal range you get something which may lead to follow ups or a semblance of pressure. Back Air is our best choice for going for 2 frame vulnerability punishing, don't make the mistake of trying down air unless their recovery comes with no hitboxes. Playing facing backwards in 'neutral' due to the large amount of "good space" behind us in up air and back air, the mix up potential of DB1 and shieldbreaker, and little difficulty of grounded actions facing the right direction should be one's general focus; back air or up air out of shield on the late hit is very reliable for finding a follow up (ACing the up air, or if jumping and waiting a bit first before fast falling it is possible; even better).
I agree with your predictions on Marth.

While I've already been thinking Roy has more potential than Marth, I still have qualms with him that prevent me from investing real time into him. There are some moves or traits I don't like because they simply aren't Marth's. His Utilt, Fsmash, Uair, Dair, Uspecial, autocancels, landing lag, much worse Counter edgeguards (less base kb, faster falling/gravity, start-up, general risk of leaving stage), and (this also ties in with the point before this) inability to snap to the ledge quickly (one of the biggest benefits Marth has over nearly every character) especially during edgeguards. Edgeguarding in general in not recommended with Roy (it'll usually be more optimal to cover ledge options).

Dancing Blade ABSOLUTELY is our main move. It's my most common out of shield option and much more. This is why DB2 desperately needs to work. Because as soon as more tournament Marths finally use DB like they should people will be able to consistently get out of the combo due to this issue. The reason being widespread familiarity in dealing with Dancing Blade. This gets Marth punished in whatever way. Using DB2 Up doesn't seem to be a solution either.

Edit: My last words... I have been extensively studying the changes characters endure in their transition from Melee to Brawl to Smash 4. The nerfs moving into each game are HUGE. Generally, hitboxes are nerfed in every way and lag is added (with IASA removals/nerfs and/or slower/redesigned animations). There are other common types of nerfs but those are the largest. Every single character in Smash 4 is heavily nerfed from Brawl. Every one of them. Even Sheik. Zelda, for example, who wasn't even strong in Brawl, had almost her entire moveset heavily nerfed when moving to Smash 4. Yes, design-wise she received some cool things like the Elevator but my point stands. Marth doesn't deserve all that he got but this stuff is good to keep in mind.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
At least Roy has his better mobility and more rewarding + reliable sweetspots to match up with Cloud's braindead button mashing win approach.
To talk about Roy's mobility vs. Cloud, I assume you mean max air speed alone yes? As Cloud is faster on the ground than Roy I believe. I think he's about equal with Zard? He does get significantly faster with Limit on the ground as well, reaching the highest mobility of any Swordsman in the game period if I recall. Also not a fan of how you describe him considering I'd like to think I've put in more work than that (mostly in reference to the latter), but opinions I guess~.

Having wanted to play Marth and experiment with him during the past patches (see: Post history) I can safely say I do agree with your post overall at this point. It felt good for a bit but then Cloud happened and Cloud is ultimately the only sword character I can play in this game by virtue of his "feel" and how he meshes with me. I also don't think he's going to ruin this game competitively given it's only been 2 weeks, but hey if it happens it happens I suppose =(. Regardless, you're pretty spot on and well versed in your Marth post.

PS I've said it a million times but welcome back and stuff. Hihi.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Makes me wonder how broken Marth would be if he was DLC and how bad Roy would be if he was always in Smash 4. I feel like the only way they could buff Marth to him good enough is by buffing his throws to make them basically the same as Roy's, fair's landing lag pretty much needs to have at least 1/4th of the frames cut off. In hindsight both of these buffs MIGHT still be possible, but I still suspect we will only get at most 2 more balance patches and that Nintendo will still ignore things that need to obviously buffed/fixed (WHY ARE HIS HITBOXES STILL NOT FIXED?).

Also Vipermoon Vipermoon damn that is a long *** post. I usually just write a medium sized paragraph or 2 medium sized paragraphs about different things. Shaya Shaya I never noticed that thing you said about Cloud that TTTTTsd TTTTTsd quoted at first, but even though I have barely gotten to use or play against Cloud, I have absolutely no idea how you get that. When I played Cloud a few weeks ago I don't remember button mashing working at all to win.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I personally think Marth just needs 1 or 2 more generous autocancel windows on primary spacing moves and certain blindspots fixed in their entirity. Playing Cloud who has very minimal sword blindspots has made me privy to this idea, it just improves so much on even just a "player consistency" level and I think it'd go very far in making Marth that much more manageable.

Attack trails are one thing, but sword blindspots are REALLY annoying and Marth is a character whose hitboxes NEED to be primarily visible and/or reliable.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Basically Roy has a hitbox tied to his body that travels in a straight line during the duration of the hitbox. Usually it starts above and behind his head and either travels to above and in front of his head or slightly upwards or downwards. These hitboxes are always his sweetspots and in certain cases are the strongest sweet spots he has (more base or damage in several cases).

His up tilt being slower is a bit of a bugger but it works well as he crouches while doing it and it's very easy to sweetspot.
Fsmash hits above his head and slightly behind him.

Uair is less damage but it sending no where is kinda good. Roy's fall speed along with this is crazy. Can easily combo into back air or up-b if close to the ground. Different to use and it doesn't kill, but can easily go into so many moves for a very long time.
Down air has one of the longest durations for a spike in the swordsman up until Cloud, it's good for 2framing or for beating things directly below you if you have the time to deal with the start up (i.e. a hard fast fall).
His auto cancels are almost all the same as Marth's, just his fall/jump heights are different. Landing lag are very similar too. Counter is a notable thing and makes poor recoveries like DKs a lovable situation, but yeah, it's rarely a good move in any match up.
Edge guards are very good for Roy, just not as dynamic. Roy can go like a rocket and has less aerial lag on fair/bair, so he can go deep very quickly and get back fine. I go deep on Roy consistently and always. Fair/bair frame trap air dodges properly; heck if you reverse up-b away from them it can kill them.

--

I find Cloud relatively simple because his appropriate actions tend to win very cleanly with a lot of leeway. Good auto cancels and landing lag, great hitboxes, amazing range. He may struggle to kill but he has a punish for everything.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Basically Roy has a hitbox tied to his body that travels in a straight line during the duration of the hitbox. Usually it starts above and behind his head and either travels to above and in front of his head or slightly upwards or downwards. These hitboxes are always his sweetspots and in certain cases are the strongest sweet spots he has (more base or damage in several cases).

His up tilt being slower is a bit of a bugger but it works well as he crouches while doing it and it's very easy to sweetspot.

Uair is less damage but it sending no where is kinda good. Roy's fall speed along with this is crazy. Can easily combo into back air or up-b if close to the ground. Different to use and it doesn't kill, but can easily go into so many moves for a very long time.
Down air has one of the longest durations for a spike in the swordsman up until Cloud, it's good for 2framing or for beating things directly below you if you have the time to deal with the start up (i.e. a hard fast fall).
His auto cancels are almost all the same as Marth's, just his fall/jump heights are different. Landing lag are very similar too. Counter is a notable thing and makes poor recoveries like DKs a lovable situation, but yeah, it's rarely a good move in any match up.
Edge guards are very good for Roy, just not as dynamic. Roy can go like a rocket and has less aerial lag on fair/bair, so he can go deep very quickly and get back fine. I go deep on Roy consistently and always. Fair/bair frame trap air dodges properly; heck if you reverse up-b away from them it can kill them.

--

I find Cloud relatively simple because his appropriate actions tend to win very cleanly with a lot of leeway. Good auto cancels and landing lag, great hitboxes, amazing range. He may struggle to kill but he has a punish for everything.
I don't find Cloud to be a COMPLEX character but I don't consider him button mashy or braindead. I mean, not a lot of characters in this game are very complex IMO. The amount of complex characters relative to Smash 4 or any Smash game, in this game, I could probably count on one hand, two at most.

I also don't think Cloud is ridiculous enough to ruin or destroy the game's meta. I hear you, it can be demoralizing when a character like this shows up but....saying stuff like that, it makes the players who put work into him feel...a bit worse, ya know? The same way I'd never call any iteration of Marth or any good character braindead, really. If I have, quote me on all of it and call me on it hard, but I tend to not do that too much anymore. He is VERY delicately balanced. If his Up+B snapped or he had remotely good combo throws/throw followups that weren't charging Limit or chasing he'd be 100% broken IMO. It's just very, very delicate. The only reason he's not gonna ruin the meta is the things holding him back, no they're not flaws that will ruin his viability perse, but they'll prevent him from being a common pick and/or ridiculously powerful.

I won't argue complexity but I will argue against mashy/braindead till I die a painful, slow bitter death.

It's interesting though, your outlook on Roy is very unique. A lot of people (including myself) have no idea what to think of him, but hey, I'd like to see your Roy in tournament/setplay now though! Sounds exciting...

FYI I do agree, Cloud's option tree is amazing but that's part of why I like playing him. Options are very, very nice to have. Killing is kind of a weak spot SORTA but Uair can do the job and Bair is dope. But this isn't a Cloud thread so I can't go TOO in depth, haha.

On the note of Marth, I understand the feeling of hopelessness in one's own character like that. Until Nairo repped Doc at MLG and until I improved with him overall, I too felt the same way. I hope (and pray) that something like this happens for Marth, even if it requires a patch to improve him. I wish only the best, after all. Sometimes a top player using a character out of nowhere can revitalize or even completely reboot/revolutionize the community opinion on a character. Doc got so much more research and experimentation when Nairo won with him, it was nice to see the misinformation that occasionally used to pop up magically vanish.

Last edited:

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Every patch, the first thing I do is go to training mode and Counter something to hear if Marth says anything.
... and he never does. :crying:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
The prince have returned welcome back Shaya. In terms of your post I heavily agree sadly and it's infuriating to say the least. I've been using more Roy as opposed to Marth as well lately because of some of the things you been saying. I will agree that DB2, AC windows on one or two of his moves and fixing the blind spots will have Marth go along way.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's losing hope with Marth. Within one hour of playing Cloud, my thoughts were "this is everything I wanted Marth to be". It's really frustrating seeing Cloud with things that were deemed too powerful for Marth - great range, reasonable autocancels, scary juggling abilities, etc.

Though I don't think so highly of Roy, I agree that he feels much more complete as a character. You can tell that the dev team put a lot of thought into his design. Brawl and Melee Marth were overwhelming characters and definitely needed to be toned down for Smash 4. However, it's clear they didn't put any thought into reworking him into a balanced character. They took away everything that made Marth good in previous games and left him with nothing. It's almost as if Sakurai looked at the Melee and Brawl tier lists and said "not this time Marth". I think Falco got the same treatment as well.

There's most likely at least one more balance patch in February so it's possible that we'll get meaningful buffs, hopefully something along the lines of what Mewtwo got this patch.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

--

Roy:

That's a nice hitbox.

I like that Utilt does real damage but my problem with it, with Fsmash, and others is the range. You won't get the huge coverage of say Jab, Utilt, Ftilt, and Fsmash for stopping approaches. Marth stopping approaches is actually funny because in many matchups baiting Marth is how you beat him. Of course, as you said in the other page, Roy makes up for these things.

The fact that his autocancels are the same is why they're worse. Marth and Roy need Melee Roy's autocancels at 32 for Nair, 30 for Fair, 30 for Uair, and Melee Marth's 32 and 48 for Bair and Dair. Then some slighly more generous pre-hitbox AC. That would be soooo nice.

Yeah I mean I understand why his aerials (except Dair, more on that later) are what they are. Uair is super weak like Melee with more duration like Melee. Bair has less duration like Melee they added power but it's still not that strong.

Dair makes no sense. We had a huge discussion 1 or 2 weeks ago in CCI about Roy's Dair because it's horribly unbalanced. Ike's Dair is better is many ways but especially landing lag is far more superior. Almost every Dair in the game is superior. So what if its duration is 2 frames!? It's your typical frame 16 Dair. It better have at least 2 frames!

Roy's landing lag is old Smash 4 Marth's except for Nair and Fair. But you know that.

Roy's edgeguarding is nothing special. You calling it very good is odd because he takes a huge huge risk of dying anytime he goes out there. If he gets hit by one thing, even if he can make it back, he turns into the prey. Roy has no protection with Uspecial and it has start-up. Every character can edgeguard, Roy's design makes it very risky for him. Sour Fair is nice though. You don't expect the range and combined with his air speed and its base knockback, it'll do some gimping. He also has nothing good to cover the 2 frame with. Kind of like Marth but worse.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I really like this discussion. It sincerely puts our weaknesses and and strengths to see how our character fares and I must agree with how I feel about Marth at this point. Just wanted to make this aside.

I have to agree with Vipermoon on some points regarding Roy's edgeguarding, I do believe it's strong if you get the edgeguard (his moves pack a punch). However, it's a very risky gamble. If he gets hit it's pretty hard to return, but even if the opponent is able to get back on stage prior to Roy without getting hit, Roy is in a big disadvantage, especially if he used his jump. Any Mario Fireball (prior to up-b use), well placed Sheik F-air, Rosalinas D-air (recovering low), etc. will be the bane of any Roy's existence in this scenario. It's not like other characters that, even if they miss their edgeguard and are at a disadvantage, they can return to the stage with much less risk involved.

As I side note, getting a D-air spike with Roy in bracket feels awesome~

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Cloud is as he is. You may enjoy him because he has options, or because his options always work; or both. Cloud takes all the strengths of sword characters with only one of the weaknesses with a low skill floor; the caveat of all swordfighters has always been precise use of one's attacks to outdo the speedier and more easy options other archetypes have. They've rarely been pick up and play because their weaknesses need to be overcome through mastery to start to reach their potential.
There's a very very good reason for this; swords/disjoints beat everything.
Cloud has very little spacing requirements to succeed, Cloud has very little issues attacking as much as he wants as often as he wants without care (not even Sheik can pretend to do this); to you this is "lots of options" but to me this is just poor design; and at this time I don't believe his weaknesses matter enough - if he didn't have two amazing vertical stall tools he would have a recovery just as bad as Little Mac but would still come with insane disjoints on a low lag moveset.

"Is it that I always have an option so my interactions with opponent's are dynamic and as they develop create depth,
or is it that my options are always going to be stronger than my opponents and the dynamics are your opponent bending over backwards just to achieve things I do in single button presses?"

I know that isn't what you'd like to think about your character choice, but I did warn you. I don't think he's top 5, feasibly not even top 10. He is very good with a top tier disposition, that needn't necessarily mean he's a menace that hurts the game, but there are many big flashing warning signs here.

-

Eh, there is less range but with a bigger sword I'm more than happy to deal with it a lot of the time. Especially as beauties like down tilt, nair, jab, fair, bair and ftilt are awesome.
The stuffing approach thing is good, but I rarely find opponent's actually wanting to approach Marth like that, unless their character is very limited. Roy having his ftilt, fsmash and jab hit behind him and above his head where there is no sword helps me snuff approaches in a similar way.

His dair has only one real usage and it does it; it's at least disjointed and not completely exposing hurtbox like Marth. Having a ff attack option is nice, but this is Roy, and he likes to fall fast as it is. When people adjust to me completely covering all but the most vertical of recoveries, dair as an applicable 2 framer or falcon-esque spike comes through.
Roy doesn't weave around off stage and force errors to gimp, Roy estimates where his opponent is going to be and is going to be there faster than people can generally react to with a massive hitbox that can kill. I've honestly yet to die ONCE in my whatever many games as Roy from my opponent capitalizing on my failed edge guard, maybe 1/30 would be me going too deep to confirm a kill and then just slipping short of the ledge. Moves like forward air are able to be acted out of nearly 15 frames after hitboxes end, I choose my positions carefully; I don't always get my hit, but I'm very rarely last to get to the ledge. The frame data and mobility specs are there, I'm very confident in my off stage game play.

Despite all the comparators, you didn't mention Marth's clearly superior ability to keeping people on the ledge from on stage. Roy cannot hit people hanging on a ledge with anything worthwhile, and he can't jump and slow fall nair or something to trap people there. Trumping is still a relatively important skill to have, unfortunately Roy's only good at punishing people's anti-trump habits while not really having good trump punishes at all (he can grab the ledge, ledge jump fair and punish roll ins; but if he grabs the ledge, gets back on stage and the opponent waits Roy can't get much of anything).

Roy is more appropriate to not have real auto cancels than Marth is.
His main aerials have noticeably less end lag, so staying in the air is noticeably better than Marth as it is now.
His fall speeds make his ability to do a rising aerial and then land 50%+ faster than Marth; this is to me where Marth falls apart for not having auto cancels; not even rising ff nair is good on Marth (it's still a 20+ frame lag commitment between hitbox and next action)... but it is on Roy.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Cloud is as he is. You may enjoy him because he has options, or because his options always work; or both.
Cloud has very little spacing requirements to succeed, Cloud has very little issues attacking as much as he wants as often as he wants without care (not even Sheik can pretend to do this); to you this is "lots of options" but to me this is just poor design
While I agree with a lot of this again, I want to stress by options I don't mean them in the context you present them in. If they nerfed the autocancel windows, did whatever the hell they thought was necessary, what have you...

I'd still play the character. I love his DASH, how amazing his DASH IASA is, how all of his aerials, even without their AC windows, would blend into a fully functional set of moves, and I love moving around with this character.

They could completely rehaul his autocancels and data in certain ways (so long as they don't totally butcher the intent of the moves) and I'd still play him, because I like how he feels. They could make him take more risk to attack (going by your provided example, however much I disagree that he can just hit buttons, opinions are opinions~) and I'd still play him, it really just comes down to the feel and how they designed his aerials and general mobility for me. All of his moves have solid hitbox coverage, that's what I care about most. I feel like if I hit Uair, that I am assured that when I do so properly it will connect, yadda yadda.

My idea of options stems from the concept that all of his aerials I believe have a use in his kit, and even if they toned them down in certain ways I believe they'd still have said uses, they're very diverse and I think that's good!

For the record I think experimenting with interesting Dash IASA like Cloud's would be hype but it's unfortunate we're only getting two more DLC chars that will not likely carry this trait. Dash IASA such as Cloud's is very fascinating and I'd like to see it applied to other characters that could use it, but I digress. I also have largely personal reasons for playing Cloud (FF nut but it actually runs deeper than that mostly) so I'm probably sticking with it regardless. If he somehow does ruin this game, well, it's been a fun ride I guess!

TL;DR I don't necessarily like the concept that his moves or options are overbearing but rather that they all have a clear purpose with their attack angles and properties even outside of their AC windows and other such things, he feels "complete" as a sword character to me, and is legitimately the only sword character in this game I can grasp besides Ike, as Marth feels sort of awkward to space with and Roy's approach to matchups isn't conducive with how I play.

(On a side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's valuing his early results in high accord. The fact that he's beaten significant players/characters like this as much as he has in this two weeks IMO definitely means something, no matter how many ppl say it's too early.)

EDIT: Oh, and on the note of Roy, another thing I didn't see you mention (unless I missed it) was that all of his sweetspots for the most part (outside of jab, dtilt and others) can lead to kills. Ftilt, Utilt, etc. all kill albeit not as early as edgeguards or his stronger smashes, but I suppose another thing you might like about Roy is that kind of reward? I'm also a bit sketchy on his throws, I'm not sure what DI mixups you have in mind as both D-Throw and F-Throw suffer from outwards DI. B-Throw perhaps (although the IASA doesn't seem favorable)? Sorry if I'm prodding, it's just I don't see a lot of Roy development/meta stuff anywhere else and I'm pretty curious!

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sheik and Ike share his dash iasa I believe (or they're all in the fastest in the game).
The reason why swordies tend not to have them is due to their really good out of dash options otherwise usually (rising aerials, dash attacks, side-bs, rolls).
Ike having it is a saving grace and necessary for his well below average grounded mobility (for a swordie), and no real out of dash options otherwise.
It's a really good thing to have.

I get you have a reason to enjoy his character. I kinda like him too; my initial thoughts were "probably kinda bad but has some really cool things to work with to still have a chance", the more I felt his movement and explored things on my own the more I found it bizarre how he literally plays like how Marth wants to play and probably should play considering his frame data and relative mobility nerfs but Cloud gets it all for free, with that frame data, with that mobility and with a bigger sword. Then the recovery mixups with the vertical stalling was realised, RIP meaningful weakness (although no doubt people will figure out the ways of getting around this over time better than they do now; as right now you are rarely seeing Cloud get gimped if he could've reached the ledge otherwise).
I would say that most people who have played Marth before competently should be able to play Cloud, almost instantaneously. He is Marth plus between 1 to 3 in every action in a vacuum (out of 10). If Marth had everything he has improved to be on a similar level to Cloud you'd probably find him a lot more enjoyable to play too.

They could gut his attack durations. He gets full arc coverage and lingering hitboxes while most of the sword characters have actual hitboxes active for a third to half of their swinging animations. Or... you know, if Cloud is allowed to have this, make every other sword character get it too...
Invalidating most of the cast along with it.

In a way, putting it like this, he has Brawl MK styled hitboxes and placement but with a lot more ridiculous "blocky" attacks to infuriate people with (people would have positive memories of MK's old glide attack, forward smash, down smash, down air/up air, ftilt).

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Sheik and Ike share his dash iasa I believe (or they're all in the fastest in the game).
The reason why swordies tend not to have them is due to their really good out of dash options otherwise usually (rising aerials, dash attacks, side-bs, rolls).
Ike having it is a saving grace and necessary for his well below average grounded mobility (for a swordie), and no real out of dash options otherwise.
It's a really good thing to have.

I get you have a reason to enjoy his character. I kinda like him too; my initial thoughts were "probably kinda bad but has some really cool things to work with to still have a chance", the more I felt his movement and explored things on my own the more I found it bizarre how he literally plays like how Marth wants to play and probably should play considering his frame data and relative mobility nerfs but Cloud gets it all for free, with that frame data, with that mobility and with a bigger sword. Then the recovery mixups with the vertical stalling was realised, RIP meaningful weakness (although no doubt people will figure out the ways of getting around this over time better than they do now; as right now you are rarely seeing Cloud get gimped if he could've reached the ledge otherwise).
I would say that most people who have played Marth before competently should be able to play Cloud, almost instantaneously. He is Marth plus between 1 to 3 in every action in a vacuum (out of 10). If Marth had everything he has improved to be on a similar level to Cloud you'd probably find him a lot more enjoyable to play too.

They could gut his attack durations. He gets full arc coverage and lingering hitboxes while most of the sword characters have actual hitboxes active for a third to half of their swinging animations. Or... you know, if Cloud is allowed to have this, make every other sword character get it too...
Invalidating most of the cast along with it.

In a way, putting it like this, he has Brawl MK styled hitboxes and placement but with a lot more ridiculous "blocky" attacks to infuriate people with (people would have positive memories of MK's old glide attack, forward smash, down smash, down air/up air, ftilt).
Cloud's Dash IASA actually seems faster than Ike's (which is news I'm sure you didn't want to hear). Dash into Dtilt will probably cover legitimately 80% of the landing options that aren't largely disjointed. Definitely airdodge or tech rolls too. I think he shares it with G&W except unlike G&W's it's much more usable especially with dash dancing and other movement tech.

Also people who say his recovery is undoable I think tend to think incredibly linearly, you don't have to ride up the ledge, he DOES have magnetic hands at the end of his Up+B, you can space it fairly leniently albeit you're still vulnerable, it just prevents the old braindead edgeguarding thing. I do feel like his recovery is only gonna go up a little, but people will learn how to get around it sorta I'm sure.

PS. While not tangentially related to Cloud at all, kind of a shame you left after the MLG Finals cause you missed all the amazing Dr. Mario discussion. Was really nice to see people actually examine the character in full, it'd never happened before that moment. Was kinda just....me and a couple other guys.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I saw said finals, I thought to myself "well that's going to finally get people to stop saying ha ha ha Samus is bottom tier Zamus, Zelda is bottom tier Sheik, Doc is...".
You may recall me defending the guy. He's been one of my favourites to use for a long time too (I can't play Mario to save my life either).

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I saw said finals, I thought to myself "well that's going to finally get people to stop saying ha ha ha Samus is bottom tier Zamus, Zelda is bottom tier Zelda, Doc is...".
You may recall me defending the guy. He's been one of my favourites to use for a long time too (I can't play Mario to save my life either).
I still pull Dr. Mario out all the time. No matter how many times I tried to put him down, never ended up doing it. He got pretty strong, meaningful slight buffs that greatly increased his viability as a counterpick and just made him in general better. Though he was always a TON of fun even before all of that, hah. Probably still my favorite character to play and win with in this game. He'll always be the character I plaster my messages/signatures with as far as Smash goes, he was my Melee homeboy. And yeah, I definitely remember you defending him too. I think you understood his niche before a lot of other people, was pretty cool to see. Ah, good times...

He also feels tighter to control than Mario (no doubt a result of the mobility drop) so my spacing with him is also more precise and less slippery, too, as a bonus.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Despite all the comparators, you didn't mention Marth's clearly superior ability to keeping people on the ledge from on stage. Roy cannot hit people hanging on a ledge with anything worthwhile, and he can't jump and slow fall nair or something to trap people there. Trumping is still a relatively important skill to have, unfortunately Roy's only good at punishing people's anti-trump habits while not really having good trump punishes at all (he can grab the ledge, ledge jump fair and punish roll ins; but if he grabs the ledge, gets back on stage and the opponent waits Roy can't get much of anything).
Yeah I forgot about that major weakness Roy has. While Marth on the other hand has something like tipper Fsmash which is no doubt the best ledge grab punish outside of a spike.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That just means I need to kill them off stage instead ;)
Or tune reactive nair/jab/dtilt/up-b to it, not care if people want to hang on forever until the auto fall because that should get them killed.
Theoretically just charging neutral-b can reactively cover most things, but that's only if people don't think about when they decide to get off the ledge.

Still, tipper down smashing someone hanging on the ledge must be one of the most "epic" anticlimatic things in the game. While your opponent and the crowd distracted by laughing, run off and down air them

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That just means I need to kill them off stage instead ;)
Or tune reactive nair/jab/dtilt/up-b to it, not care if people want to hang on forever until the auto fall because that should get them killed.
Theoretically just charging neutral-b can reactively cover most things, but that's only if people don't think about when they decide to get off the ledge.

Still, tipper down smashing someone hanging on the ledge must be one of the most "epic" anticlimatic things in the game. While your opponent and the crowd distracted by laughing, run off and down air them
Lol neutral B. Question, if you're against say Marth would you expect them to jump into you from the ledge with a counter and wait out that counter? Or would you usually hit the counter and die for it? I shouldn't get away with this as much as I do.

Hey if you end up getting better tourney results with Roy let us know (if you are attending them at all that is).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm usually looking for tipper dtilt into run off fair (combos for a long time, another one of those Brawl Marth things), so counter ain't that bad.
Or dash grab fthrow into run off fair.
Low risk, very good.
[Reason why these things kinda work is because you're cutting off your jump squat by running off the ledge]

If people jump aerial as a habit I go for up-b, super armor through most things. Or I think I can outspace counter with fair, heh :p
I've been dealing with Marth ledge options on both sides for millennia, nothing new really. Losing invincible fair off the ledge from Brawl means he doesn't really have anything but shieldbreaker (which being outside of it's range and still punishing is feasible for many) that a good old fashion shielding won't fix (if he jumps or ledge drops). Standing at roll range or so against him is good because he doesn't have a good way to get through people to regain stage control that isn't obvious; let him do a standing get up, dash grab it perhaps or continue the stand off, the moment he moves he loses and the only chance he has is to pick an option the exact same time the opponent would; that won't ever happen against Fox or Sonic.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
When I first played Cloud, I thought he was really fun (he still is I guess), but as I realized how silly his moveset is I kind of just resent him. He's just not a well-designed character. And that's not to say he's overpowered even. ZSS and Sheik are still much stronger, but they actually take work and accuracy to succeed with. Ryu is busted as hell, but look how long it took for him to get decent results. Cloud is basic and easy mode. Mario with a sword.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Hahahaha, Shaya, please keep that avatar around for a long time.

I'm usually looking for tipper dtilt into run off fair (combos for a long time, another one of those Brawl Marth things), so counter ain't that bad.
Or dash grab fthrow into run off fair.
Low risk, very good.
[Reason why these things kinda work is because you're cutting off your jump squat by running off the ledge]

If people jump aerial as a habit I go for up-b, super armor through most things. Or I think I can outspace counter with fair, heh :p
I've been dealing with Marth ledge options on both sides for millennia, nothing new really. Losing invincible fair off the ledge from Brawl means he doesn't really have anything but shieldbreaker (which being outside of it's range and still punishing is feasible for many) that a good old fashion shielding won't fix (if he jumps or ledge drops). Standing at roll range or so against him is good because he doesn't have a good way to get through people to regain stage control that isn't obvious; let him do a standing get up, dash grab it perhaps or continue the stand off, the moment he moves he loses and the only chance he has is to pick an option the exact same time the opponent would; that won't ever happen against Fox or Sonic.
It makes sense that Dtilt at the ledge is super good like it is for Marth. And Marth's quicker start-up Fair makes up for the extra lag on Dtilt.

While we're mentioning Marth's ledge options, one of my favorite ones are a ledge drop (but by pressing back, not down) no jump Fair. Unless they are at the very edge this will hit and usually tipper (or if they are at the very edge drift back a little before you Fair and then it can work). If the Fair misses or doesn't do enough knockback and they come back to try to punish, an immediate Uspecial ledge snap can hit them through the stage giving you a free get-up.

I know this was more viable and common in Brawl because of regained invincibility but it's still a really good option against those that want to come close to pressure. This is especially so against characters that don't have good options for punishing a 2nd ledge snap bar run off Bair (like Roy). It can even condition shields for jumping Shield Breaker (assuming shield already weakened from something... screw that patch).

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
One of the areas I was having issues in tournament a while back was getting off the ledge, so I've come to be a little less fearless of not regaining invincibility if all my opponent is trying to do is stand outside range or do a fast fall aerial reactively. Staying on there for a while. If I'm not at high percent it can be worthwhile trying to trade there or bait the opponent into doing something (with rarely a super risk of what they do, but if you get a free landing uair/nair/fair coming from the ledge you usually get another hit at the very least).

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
As talked about earlier, Ike's dash IASA is in the middle of the pack, not ~10 frames which is the fastest like Sheik and I believe Cloud is in that manner. It's either middle or it's the next group, ~12? I can't find the list here at all for some reason.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
As talked about earlier, Ike's dash IASA is in the middle of the pack, not ~10 frames which is the fastest like Sheik and I believe Cloud is in that manner. It's either middle or it's the next group, ~12? I can't find the list here at all for some reason.
I know it's somewhere in the Smash Academy. But did you mean to post that here?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Damn yall mad as hell.

So much salt in this thread.

I would say WB Shaya but since we are FB friends, its like you never left for me.

Cloud FTW.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
This thread is full of weak minds and faulty leadership. Looking forward to bodying all of your feeble attempts at alternate swordsmen.

And Cloud is brain dead and I will never recognize him/his users as true swordsmen.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
lol I think I am the only one here besides Emblem Lord Emblem Lord who doesn't think Cloud is braindead or has any sort of resentment towards him in this game. Could just be that I have only gotten to use him for like a total of 2 and a half hours since he has been out, or he just doesn't seem as "braindead" (HOLY **** I HATE THIS TERM RIGHT NOW) as other characters I consider "braindead" *cough* Mario *cough* Yoshi *cough* Ness *cough* pre-patch Luigi *cough* pre-patch Diddy *cough* post-patch Lucas *cough*. Sorry for that sudden burst of coughing (I've actually had a pretty bad cough since Christmas in real life lol). I know I just said that I hate the term "braindead", but I really only hate the term when I disagree with the way people use it.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
En.Ee.Oh En.Ee.Oh Bring it on, OLD MAN!!!!

Oh and Cloud is DEF braindead. I'm literally playing Brawl Marth with half the effort and beating people that are ranked in New Jersey.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
En.Ee.Oh En.Ee.Oh Bring it on, OLD MAN!!!!

Oh and Cloud is DEF braindead. I'm literally playing Brawl Marth with half the effort and beating people that are ranked in New Jersey.
Eh, I guess I'll trust it if a Cloud main says he is braindead themselves. DOESN'T MEAN I WILL DROP HIM THO.

Also I find it kinda funny that we have mostly been talking about Cloud here than Marth lately.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
And Cloud is brain dead and I will never recognize him/his users as true swordsmen.
The heroes know.

-

Let me put it another way.
Marth feels low tier, and his disposition is definitely on the lower side of the cast.

However, it's Marth. And as I've already asserted and happy to continue to do so, he does well if not beats all other perceived low tiers, it's hard to be a low tier yourself in such situations. But that doesn't stop game data and multi-generational perception bias from having it's conclusions.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
The heroes know.
B-but my name and my avatar D: Then again my name suggests I am no longer a hero and I have "I'm no hero...never was, never will be..." written on my page.

Honestly, I have known Marth isn't that good in this game for a while. I always did suspect that just 2-3 helpful buffs could instantly shoot him up from mid-tier to middle high tier.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
This is the weakest iteration of a Marth forum I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. Looks like NEO is going to have to create for you all (again).

Iku-Ne

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iku-Ne
I started using Marth in 2011 when I played Melee for the first time, I saw this dude with a flowly cape thing and he was so epic to play as, I was juggling people left and right, it was so fun. I played Brawl too but mostly Melee. Now I'm back nearly 5 years later and with S4 and it's saddening that my main squeeze has been nerfed to death. It's ridiculous how limited I feel in this latest installment. But I'm still loyal to the King. :)

Top Bottom