• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secrets of The Seven Sages: Link's Brainstorming Thread, Complete AT list and Combos

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Has anyone ever stage spiked with the beginning of Link's Up B? I've noticed this happening on stages like Lylat and Pokemon Stadium 1.
I made it in BattleField, even it's in my combo video that I post in the video threat.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Well, i don't know if this is something new or too old, but again, in several guide it didn't appear (even in one, it say this movement is only possible with tap jump on).

Well, as i said, It's suppose OoS (Out of Shield) is only possible with Tap Jump On. But, it isn't true!

The only thing you have to do is:
- When you have your shield, press Up+X(or Y)+A(or B), and you perform Usmash(Up-B) OoS... The finger position is natural (in U-Smash at least).

Finally, i have a little question 'bout it. With this technique, you perform a Jump Canceled Up-Smash... Then, there is a frame difference between normal OoS and Jump-Canceled OoS?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yeah, I have tap jump off, so to use Usmash and B up OoS I press Y + Cstick up or Y + B-up (I hold the controller all funky. I have X set to grab and have my pointer finger resting on Y instead of Z).

To answer your question, Drigo, no, since it's the same thing. You're just jumpcancelling it with X or Y instead of tap jump. Obviously, if you drop your shield then use one of those options it will be much slower.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Has anyone ever stage spiked with the beginning of Link's Up B? I've noticed this happening on stages like Lylat and Pokemon Stadium 1.
Yes, when they hang on the ledge too long.
I have L set to jump so that's how I jump cancel things OoS. Takes some time to get use to >.>
That is a good idea.

Adding to the discussion, if you spotdodge and release shield Link will only have spotdodge ending lag (5 frames vulnerability).

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Super Important!!

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=151914

Please, please, please read that. That is the key. To play smart and not try to use so many flashy ATs/combos. Think and predict and that's all there is to it.

I've discussed throwing up this link and the only catch is that if you want to discuss you have to post over there. Sorry. :c

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Well... Is almost the same as "punish every mistake of your opponent", but a little more efective: "Overpass every movement of your opponent".

The idea is take advantage that Link has a very wide range of game plays, whose are effective or not, depend of him opponent and his play style..

Sometimes, I played this way; but it requires almost a perfect concentration (it isn't your normal style of play, then you must think almost every movement). So, if you desconcentrate for any reason, you are death.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
You should always be concentrating anyway! Think about two things: what your opponent is going to do and what you're going to do about it. My mind is pretty well trained thanks to hours of Tetris to multitask thinking so I'm pretty good with all that. You always must think. Do unorthodox things. Spam bombs at nothing. Do anything to throw off your opponent. I just played someone who plays the way described by that thread and didn't win once. I played that way, lost, but only because I'm not as good as him. Just try it. Think and don't leave things to instinct.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I think if you're focusing on what you're doing, you're wasting concentration. You should be focusing on your opponent and what they do and what you're going to be doing in response. If I flame choke someone as Ganon and notice they like to roll behind me, I start charging up a reverse fsmash next time I choke them. If they're trying to roll vehind me out of a jablock as Link, I run back and throw the boomerang at them to try to set up a jablock (hey, if it works for Legan). Sometimes I randomly do an usmash as Ganon since it has a shockingly short cooldown and tends to bait a "retaliation" by my opponent, who I then Sparta Kick, dtilt, etc. In a way, it should be common sense, Rizen, I agree, but sometimes people forget things and sometimes it's worth reiterating. Heck, I appreciate re-hearing simple things because I always foget.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
well, of course it's common sense, because Link needs to take the best of every opportunity, to punish every error of the opponent, be always focused and give little nor no room for wrong moves.

also Link need to camp to his best, so one can see some habits to start exploiting and to get a safe way for some damage or input a kill move.

that's what I think, it's a good guide, but nothing out of the exceptional, better the one here though

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
The point that i want to focus is the following:
Try to counter every movement of your opponent imply you must know every single posibility of the character you are playing against.

A example; my game play offline is try to punish every movement that i know is coming; but the other day I played against a Mario. My main problem was that every movement of mario overpassed even my jab! A smart Mario don't make a laggy aereal move, and his ground movement are faster than link's.
In this scenario, to try to fight, I had to change my entire gameplay!

Then, in certain match-ups, you must change your gameplay, adapting to the best way to play against. Then, as you must change your game play, you must overthink every movement (you aren't doing that you always do).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

Please, please, please read that. That is the key. To play smart and not try to use so many flashy ATs/combos. Think and predict and that's all there is to it.

I've discussed throwing up this link and the only catch is that if you want to discuss you have to post over there. Sorry. :c
Don't be sorry man, you're absolutely right. I'm fairly certain (at least last time I checked) that I made it quite clear in the second post that Link's AT's aren't meant to be the focus or anything. So I was a bit surprised that it came across that way, but other than that, your post was correct.
I've actually known about that thread ever since it was first made and I've kept up with it by reading through any new posts every now and then. It's a good read and I'd suggest if one of you hasn't read it yet that you do so at some point.

This thread has a different purpose entirely. It's not meant to show people how to play or how to win and I never said it did. It's just a place to put forward new ideas and for the community to develop them. The second post can be thought of as an index type thing where things are simply recorded so we know things like, what is possible (Link's limits), what is known and what is new. It also helps to find new things and develop new ideas with all this information in one spot. I know from personal experience that trying to solve problems or invent/implement new tactics has been much easier with my lists. So considering that this is primarily a thread for developing new ideas, it seemed only logical to include a list of Link's tricks for easy reference.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Sasook let you post that here?

Odd, he usually doesn't want anything helping SWF.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
since you (red ryu) "touched" the subject, for a long time I wondered why a lot of link mainers left here to go to all is brawl.

If it's something you don't want to talk about it's ok, I just wanted to know...

and also, the guide here also has an introduction to the "smart play", if i'm not wrong
or maybe some people missed that part

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm neutral, no advertising one way or the other.

'Not that it's a big deal or takes long to find out either part...

My wifi has lost it's grace, I can win but it's 'clunky'. Needs better consistency.
----------------------------------------
Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXIyk_Fb6M
Ok, I know exactly how it works, I just don't know how they do it so consistently. There must be some buffering trick to it.

Anyway, first you need to be on a platform in order for it to work, what's happening is they are dashing, shielding (you can shield out of a dash much faster than you can use options like tilting out of a Dash), then dropping through the platform OoS (it's pretty hard, you need to sort of hold shield and tilt down at a medium pace to avoid a spot dodge or just moving the shield down), then they are instantly canceling going through the platform with any action (also very possible, you just need to be very fast). It's quite ingenius really. I've tested everything in that sequence and it all works. The hard part is getting that instant OoS platform drop through. I honestly have no idea how they do it so fast. So technically, I've found the way that it's done, I just can't repeat it nearly as quickly. This is why I think there must be a buffering trick to it. I can look at the video now and explain everything that happens by using this theory.
Maybe they input shield and slightly angle down at the same time. Down's to only direction shield canceling works, up=jump/OoS, left/right=roll. Down at an angle does works; they probably dash>Shield+forward down slightly tilted controlstick (so not to spotdodge)>immediately attack. This would buffer so the shield does not appear.
^Needs testing.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
since you (red ryu) "touched" the subject, for a long time I wondered why a lot of link mainers left here to go to all is brawl.

If it's something you don't want to talk about it's ok, I just wanted to know...

and also, the guide here also has an introduction to the "smart play", if i'm not wrong
or maybe some people missed that part
It's a really touchy subject.

I'd rather PM it to you if you want to know.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Rizen's last post, the edited part: Don't worry I'm working on it. Me and a mate (e_alert) have a different theory on it's done so quickly to what you suggested though. We may test it tomorow (or we may just forget or something and the testing will be put off, but the point is, I've got it covered). Any suggestions are welcome though and any actual testing is even more welcome.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
@Red Ryu, well if it's not a problem I would like to know what happened.

regarding to Arizen's post, I'm not quite shure if that's something that could work well on link, considering our hero has lag for everithing, even jumping...
and the fact that we need a plataform could cut some of it's reliablity.

well, that's what I think about it, not too sticked to AT's if oyu ask me

Rizen

Smash Legend
regarding to Arizen's post, I'm not quite shure if that's something that could work well on link, considering our hero has lag for everithing, even jumping...
and the fact that we need a plataform could cut some of it's reliablity.

well, that's what I think about it, not too sticked to AT's if oyu ask me
Most ATs are useless. When canceling something, jump canceling/shield canceling/instant bomb throw/DAC, the move used to cancel never starts. It's used to transition a move into another that wouldn't normally work then. The 'canceling' move has now effect or lag.
Oh and btw, I figured it out. I posted a thread in the tactical discussion about it.
Can you link it for us?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, well, in all fairness Foxy, you posted it at 3 AM my time. I was already asleep by then, haha.

I saw this on AiB when it was posted over there. I can definitely see how it'd be very useful if insanely hard to utilize for some characters. It seems like it'd be a little less useful for Link. I feel like it'd be difficult to utilize and would be kinda gimmicky.

Although, then again, a lot of what Link has is kinda gimmicky anyway.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
3am! 0_o
Well in that case, I'm quite impressed I got any replies at all that early.
I'll agree with you there, Link doesn't benefit from it as much as other characters unfortunately.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
You're absolutely right. We should permaban Risen XD.
In any case, we really should leave any of that kind of thing for the GD. And I hate to temporarily kill the thread, but does anyone have any actual on topic input? I'm free for a few months now and I'm ready for more projects.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Gale Push

You're absolutely right. We should permaban Risen XD.
Lol that Risen must be some troublemaker.

Something I almost never see or heard about is the gale boomerang's push effect at the end of it's traveling out motion. Gale guarding is commonly known but with good spacing gale pushing is faster and easier to aim. Link can throw his boomerang 2 strengths, tilt and smash, I'd like to explore when the wind push starts and how it affects various actions of other characters. Gale pushing is a great edge guarding/gimping technique that's being neglected. For example:
1:09 Smash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3ddvgQV00
0:51 Smash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJ8GQgFKXg
2:22 Tilt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhsi-5NvanU

The wind has different priority properties than the attack part of boomerang throws. Few things will cancel it and it doesn't count as 'hits' that push like FLUDD or water squirt so attacks don't 'soften' the effect. Item attacks are vulnerable and some moves are extremely affected, like Marth's shield breaker (can someone post that video?).

The wind also has a strange 'wall' effect when something hit's it at a sharp up or down angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4FnR31twdU
This is better know to stop sharp upward launches during hitstun (Snake's C4 recovery) as if it had hit the bottom of a solid flat stage. So it's technically not a spike. The angle for the wall to work must be almost strait up and down. I wonder if it can be teched.

Wind push might be as useful as the attack and tilting to throw the boomerang allows for a quick, close push. This might be great to stop recoveries like Ik's and other's by having the push happen almost at the ledge and continue off the stage, which is easy to space.

If people think it's worth testing, we can see what moves gale wind works well against. Maybe it will help vs MK's 4 free fall causing recoveries that they space to land on platforms. What do you guys think?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
mmm... regarding the gale boomerang is a very delicate subject in brawl, 'cause we need to do a in deep research of the behaviour of the wind and how the game reads the returning gale...

about using it like the first videos, that could be mastered with little time, just need to check the distance and throw it with smash or tilt power, not that hard, very useful but too much situational though.

for metaknight would be very useful but with very precisely timing and good prediction of the move.
anyway I think it's worth testing especialy if we're talking about our little best friend mk, so anything that can help out there can be useful.

also, i was thinking on improving link's footstool ability against snake's C4 like marth's users do, I know that our recovery is crap, but with good timing and the jump boost we could safely return to the stage and we can go with a bomb in hand as a plan B, what do you guys say about it?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Alright! I didn't kill the thread.
Those are some good topics to talk about right there. If anyone is wondering, I think the vid that Rizen requested is in the AT vid section.
In that last vid, I'm not entirely sure that MK "bounced on the wind". My initial reaction was that the animation of the U-throw was simply 'moved higher up' by the wind. When MK went up, he got a boost from the wind hitbox and the whole animation was simply moved higher up. So I'm guessing that the U-throw has a set animation that stops it from becoming a suicide kill.
I just tested it and, to my own surprise, I'm right 0_o
MK and Kirby don't go up and then go down until they land on something (like in 64) they just go up and land in the spot that they went up in. It's a set animation and the wind just boosted it upwards a bit.
You learn something new everyday.

So you may want to re-think that wall theory.
The other vids are legit and I reckon you may be on to something there. We should try to experiment with it and see how useful it really is.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wind spacing

The MK throw had me stumped. I want to say there is a replay where the wind "spikes" Snakes C4 recovery but it is probable a glitch. If someone finds that please post it.

This is from something I researched some time ago:
"Direct spacing notes:
Boomerang throws that are tilted, ground bounced, and strait have the same horizontal range. Tilted throws go the farthest because of horizontal and vertical distance.
[...]
Smashed boomerang reach (top to bottom) up angled, down bounced, forward throw:

Inputting angles that are in between the notches on the hole around the control stick will result in shallower throw angles. The steepness of slopes in stages will influence the bounce as long as a strait vertical barrier isn’t hit. The boomerang will travel down as far as it can travel up from the plane where Link throws it if nothing gets in the way (not shown).
[...]
Galeboomerang: Attack with far, wide, direct and indirect potential every time you use this. Returning the gale pulls opponents and will follow Link’s vertical position returning. Usually the boomerang is thrown above, or dodged by the opponent to setup pulling strategies. At the last part of the forward reach opponents will be pushed by the gale, tilting rather than smashing will shorten the boomerang’s range. Pushing opponents who are freefalling or without remaining jumps can lead to stage guarding KOs.
The push range starts-ends (measured horizontally): Tilted- 2/5-1/2 the length of Final Destination, Smashed- 1/2-2/3."

This is cool; Link's projectiles were coordinated to space with each other. After some testing I found an easy way to judge where the wind starts: (Also quoted from a guide I made long ago)

"Direct uncharged arrow and bomb spacing:

(Distance of) 1 quickdraw, 2 SH arrow, 3 jumped arrow, 4 weak bomb toss, 5 Forward bomb throw, 6 SH/jumped Forward bomb throw."
Easy way to space the wind:
The horizontal distance where the wind starts (thrown strait, ground bounced, angled up or down, from air or on the ground, it doesn't matter) is:
Tilted: 1 (where an uncharged arrow and weak bomb toss land)
Smashed: 2 (where a short hop uncharged arrow lands)
Any Link who knows how to spam can easily judge the proper distance!

Phantom boomerangs have the same wind-start spacing but will continue forward after the attack hits too. (Useless info).
The exception to the horizontal distance rule is: when the boomerang hits a slope traveling forwards the distance will be measured at the new angle's direction. Slopes making overhangs like on the bottom of BF, FD and most stages automatically start the only wind return phase.

:bee: This is good stuff. I <3 that^ picture, it took forever to photoshop. We still need data on how the wind affects different moves. Good work and thanks for the help everyone;).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah I have a vague recolection of that Snake vid (was it on castle siege?). I'd need to see it again though if I was going to explain it.

Ok so we have some nice pics there, some basic info, and some quite useful info about the exact wind distance. So that's the distance question covered, I spose the only thing left is to get inventive and think of all the situational times it will come in handy. That shouldn't be too hard. And then there's all the recoveries that can be gimped, which would be char specific. I rough list of gimpable char's would need to be done as well then. Any misc info or random things you find while testing is of course more than welcome (I love that stuff).

Top Bottom