• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secrets of The Seven Sages: Link's Brainstorming Thread, Complete AT list and Combos

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Hey guys, just a quick heads up to tell you all that my video capturing device will be here soon. I'll try to upload any matches or combo setups that might be useful to the Link community.

Kitto

Smash Rookie
Good combo?

Would throwing your gale boomerang over your opponent by jumping then directing it to go downwards then attacking him knocking him forward horizontally so when the boomerang returns it would bring the opponent back again then finishing him off with a charged uspecial be a good combo?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Would throwing your gale boomerang over your opponent by jumping then directing it to go downwards then attacking him knocking him forward horizontally so when the boomerang returns it would bring the opponent back again then finishing him off with a charged uspecial be a good combo?
Yeah, often the boomerang keeps the opponent from DIing out of the Usmash.

Gale combos aren't exactly combos because they're dependent on the opponent's actions and spacing and can't be consistent. It's important to think of them as the opportunity arises and act accordingly.

Kitto

Smash Rookie
Yeah, often the boomerang keeps the opponent from DIing out of the Usmash.

Gale combos aren't exactly combos because they're dependent on the opponent's actions and spacing and can't be consistent. It's important to think of them as the opportunity arises and act accordingly.
Ah,thank you for your reply and I will be sure to keep what you said in mind.

escro

Smash Ace
quick question. is it possible to lengthen/shorten the distance your boomerang travels, or do you need to rely on spacing for that?
thinking of uses to gimp recoveries by "pushing" (not hitting) your opponent with the "end" of the boomerang'd throw.

escro

Smash Ace
another question.
is it possible to move backwards while firing an arrow whilst jumping?
not b reversal, just move backwards.
like how wolf can do that while firing his blaster.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Uh, sorta. However the movement for a backwards falling arrow is sorta unnoticeable. It's just better to do a B reversal or a B reversal bstick .

I'm not too sure though, but I will look into it later.

Rizen

Smash Legend
another question.
is it possible to move backwards while firing an arrow whilst jumping?
not b reversal, just move backwards.
like how wolf can do that while firing his blaster.
Like backwards jump/SH>tap 'B' once or twice?

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Here's a video of one of the combos I talked about in my earlier post

Bair - > Gale Return -> Dair (Gale Return Combo)

It works pretty decently, however I believe the player can dodge or attack out of the stun from Bair. I'm not entirely sure, but if you can time it just right you might be able to execute it without having them retaliate in any given form. Just a hunch.

I'll upload a 3 minute long video later on to show what you can actually do with some of these Gale Return setups.

escro

Smash Ace
Question. How do you buffer an uptilt out of spotdodge? I use tap jump so i can only use uptilt when buffered. But i can only seem to upair even if i try to buffer the uptilt.

On a related note, is it possible to un-buffer or de-buffer?
For example, to buffer an attack you would input another direction during startup, but would doing another direction right after the second one cancel the buffer? Is there a set time window to do this?

:phone:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Question. How do you buffer an uptilt out of spotdodge? I use tap jump so i can only use uptilt when buffered. But i can only seem to upair even if i try to buffer the uptilt.

On a related note, is it possible to un-buffer or de-buffer?
For example, to buffer an attack you would input another direction during startup, but would doing another direction right after the second one cancel the buffer? Is there a set time window to do this?

See the Q and A thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=269609&page=15

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I did this out of boredom since I wanted to see what I could come up with Link. Idk if most of these will work in an actual match. However I have pulled off a bomb footstool jablock in a match before along with other setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_2SUzqJJ8I

Keep in mind that these are HIGHLY situational.

Rayboy

Smash Rookie
To the Hylian Shield Technique:
Is it possible to go through(littlebit above or under) the shield with quick projectiles like Pit's Bow? (not with the slow rockets of Samus/Snake). Otherwise you have a good mindgame with the shield. Example: Playing against Samus, u can stop all projectiles especially the Power Beam (charged) and play with your enemy

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
No it's not possible to go through the Hylian shield, but Link has a standing animation where he lowers his shield and becomes vulnerable so it's not really useful as a defesive method. While you can stop all projectiles with the shiled, you need to be absolutely still.

I mean, it can be useful, but it's not something you can consistenly rely on.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sorry about the double post, but my internet had a hiccup and posted it double...wasn't intentional T.T

escro

Smash Ace
today, when i was just messing around with bots i sort of found something.
i was around kill percent, maybe just under, and was holding a bomb, and as it was flashing i got hit by a fairly strong move (g&w fair i think it was)
anyway i was sent flying, dead for sure, but the bomb blew up on me and i survived the hit, and recovered safely.

just wondering if this could help in recovering for Link, although it would be situational at best.
Ive heard that item tossing is a good way to momentum cancel, so usually whenever i get sent off the stage i throw the bomb i was holding, but this is giving me a few ideas..

could someone be able to test this, or provide reasons for why it wont work?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ It works, the explosion creates new momentum that cancels the previous. It might not work if you're still in hitstun, I'm not sure. The risk is if you're launched high the explosion can carry you into the blast zone.
I think bombs explode after 7 seconds or upon impact so Link would have to be holding one before he was launched.
You can momentum cancel and keep your bomb if you're sideways launched fast enough by throwing the bomb backwards and starting the FF, DI process then immediately Bair to catch the bomb.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
I just recently found out something good for Link and platform cancels. There is way were Link can drop a bomb at his feet without moving at all, much like grenade shield drops. All you have to do is drop through the platform and then instantly cancel the drop by letting go of down on the control stick and pressing air dodge + A button to drop the bomb. If you do it too fast, Link will not go anywhere and he will down throw the bomb. If you do it too slow, Link will C4 the bomb or drop through and down throw the bomb.

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
Maybe an old trick but something I always got a giggle out of with link.

Bait an enemy into an approach with a bomb in hand and throw it hard straight up. Time the throw right to provoke an attack and shield grab. Now Up throw into the downward falling bomb, kaboom and giggle.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Maybe an old trick but something I always got a giggle out of with link.

Bait an enemy into an approach with a bomb in hand and throw it hard straight up. Time the throw right to provoke an attack and shield grab. Now Up throw into the downward falling bomb, kaboom and giggle.
That's old but always fun.:smirk:

Another throw trick that's highly situational is Dthrow moves the opponent slightly below the stage before launching them (not enough to stage spike like Kirby's throw on PS1 :c). The best use of this is on Brinstar, when the acid reaches the level just under the platform you can grab>Dthrow and the acid will burn them:chuckle:.
On transforming stages where the floor drops out (Delfino, Castle Siege, YI Brawl platform ghosts, Halberd) Link can kamikaze with very well timed Dthrows as the floor drops. If you're both on the last stock the opponent will die first for a win (footstooling is a much better choice, though). This is just a trick, except the Brin part it won't happen in real games.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QJJce1x3TCc
Dunno if you guys needed one, or have one, but here's a video of the BDACUS from 2010, like two days after the tech was discovered by a japanese Diddy.
Ardes mentioned it in the srs discussion thread and FSK and I confirmed Link could do so with varying distances on how the DACUS is buffered. It typically needed at least 10 frames to buffer properly, and was great from spot-dodge. The lagginess of Link's U-smash can limit it use somewhat, but there's a nasty combo at 0% from short hopped F-air to BDACUS dealing about 40ish% and is hard to escape.

Dietcoke101

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this is legit or anything but I thought it was pretty cool. If you are at ahigh percent and a bomb blows up on you get launched pretty far. But if you luanch a bomb up, and the grab someone, and your own bomb explodes on both of you, you take damage, but you don't even move. Your opponent then take throw damage and bomb damage. It's pretty cool, I'm just not sure if you could use it in a real match. Oh and btw I only tested it with Marth being grabbed.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hey there guys,

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this particular element of AT, but if you are and you didn't say anything about it then you suck and I take all credit for this anyways.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You think Foxy's gone but 'zip' he emerges from the shadows with lightning speed to help with AT info, lol.

Bombsmashes have been used for a long time.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Oops, lol.

I had never realized you could do it any time but when you pull the bomb, lol. Mah bad.

He must have threads like this on his lurk list.

Rizen

Smash Legend
EDIT: Here's a question: Could we reduce landing lag by a few frames by zairing at the end of all our jumps? I'm aware that Lucas' zair does cut landing lag and keeps him mobile. So does it do the same for us?

SHAWDY

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShawdyLink
I'm back guys and I am going to a big tournament in Miami this Saturday. it has been over a month since I have played this game but I have been playing non stop in order to become better than what I used to be. I will post the results and placings when whenever they get posted. it is great to be back guys!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'd been wondering where you went.

GL with the tourney and rep Link (especially in dubz lol)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
EDIT: Here's a question: Could we reduce landing lag by a few frames by zairing at the end of all our jumps? I'm aware that Lucas' zair does cut landing lag and keeps him mobile. So does it do the same for us?
My understanding has always been that the Zair doesn't affect the amount of landing lag you were going to get anyway (2 or 4 frames depending on how hard you landed). I'm not sure what's going on with Lucas, but it may be a character specific thing to do with a move used before the Zair, not necessarily the Zair itself.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Did anybody ever end up testing whether Link can pull off the infinite banana lock on Diddy without fastfalling?

TriforceOSM

Smash Cadet
Okay, I normally don't post too much on this site, but I had to mention this trick I just verified. I just confirmed that all characters in Brawl can Z-Drop Edgehog, meaning that they can run-off edgehog and z-drop any item before they grab the ledge. What I'm saying is that u can edgehog at the same speed as a run-off edgehog, but also drop an item. A guy from AiB named Zerix remembered that it could be done in Melee by wavedashing, and had me test whether it could be done in Brawl, and it turns out that it can. I can see this being useful against recoveries like Lucario's, Marth's, Ike's, Captain Falcon's, etc.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yeah, we're aware that you can do this. Thanks for posting.

If you were just checking to verify that, you should definitely check out the bomb section in the first post of this thread. It has countless more tricks that are even more advanced than z-drop edgehogging. Hope you check it out :)

Top Bottom