• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDB NW Presents: SHS1, Bolton, 18th July.

auroreon

Smash Ace
There is a chance that me, Ixis and Warning might come along to this, need a bit of info though.
First, what is the cheapest and most effecient way to travel from London, would it be possible to go for under £20 each return or is that too much to ask?
Is housing still being offered for the 2 days, because we would need housing.
Also, you said you would be happy for someone to run a Brawl tourney, has anyone volunteered to do this?

Kone

Smash Master
gantz + last dragon are you guys booked yet?

jjlinyard + jjfox you guys booked yet?

auroreon - Sorry I haven't replied earlier was away last few nights. Housing is still offered on both friday and saturday night. We understand that travellin from london takes some time so we accomodate this by providing free housing for all. In terms of travel you can go london->manchester (joe will get you from there and take you to bolton) for £14 return with www.nationalexpress.com. Or you can go with www.megabus.com direct to bolton for exactly £20. If you took the latter option you could be on the same coach as pro+prof and others. However, if you wanted to avoid that for w/e reason there are other journeys with megabus.

In terms of brawl no one has. You could easily ask people on here or on fri/sat night and round up people for a brawl tourney. There should be enough interest. Or try organise something more solid online and get just brawlers to come along aswell. Theres enough space , we can get enough tvs, would just need some wiis.

Smudge - come for singles, leave after? lol i know thats unlikely ah well :)

Hope that helps!

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
There is a chance that me, Ixis and Warning might come along to this, need a bit of info though.
First, what is the cheapest and most effecient way to travel from London, would it be possible to go for under £20 each return or is that too much to ask?
Is housing still being offered for the 2 days, because we would need housing.
Also, you said you would be happy for someone to run a Brawl tourney, has anyone volunteered to do this?
you should play melee if you're going to this. It is a melee tournament and brawl isn't guaranteed to be played

Kone

Smash Master
dont put him of ben lol, therell be a setup for brawl all the time and can be more if people bring things, still able to get plenty of brawl freeplay in or start learning melee. whatever floats peoples' boats

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
jjlinyard + jjfox you guys booked yet?
ermmm any particular station we need to book to go to in manchester or prefered one??
and what time are we expected to finish because i have my last juniour athletics comp on sunday so need to be back saturday or really really really early sunday?.....
oo and what time do we need to be up in manchester for on friday??

Kone

Smash Master
Hey man, if your travelling by bus you dont really have choice over station. Youll go into the main manchester bus terminal (piccadily i believe). Just post your arrival times and joe will be there to pick you up. As ive mentioned book with www.nationalexpress.com (london -> manc) or www.megabus.com (london->bolton). See what the prices are. I know megabus is currently £20. Basically, if you go with either then you'll get there for no more than £20 return (good price imo).

In terms of when itll finish on sat; doubles shall be done by 4 and singles is harder to work out. Swiss leagues will be done by 7ish and the 8 man DE bracket done by ten. These are loose times tho, could be over or under exaggerated. Depends on numbers.

What i would recommend to you man is to book a late bus back on the saturday or early sunday. Megabus does a 6am bus getting you into london for 11am. Dont know when your comp is tho :/

Just go onto the two bus websites i mentioned and play around with the dates, see what you can do!

--------------

Also, im putting money on joe making top 3 at this (joe if you read this keep your **** up, was impressed with how much you improved and keep yourself practiced this week. Mind you the weekend helped me notice some stuff bout my game i need ironing out, going to be looking to make this more interesting at the weekend re:peach v fox.)

craiigg

Smash Lord
what, are you definately using swiss tourny style?

:/ 8 man bracket sounds lame

EDIT: i actually dont know all the ins and outs of using the swiss style in smash

can you explain a bit ed? o:

grayfox

Smash Champion
It works in a way that each person gets a solid placing rather than it being 13th, 9th, 7th etc like a normal bracket depending on how far you go in the bracket, will play loads of people and work out a placing on all of the results, so get a more solid and representable number. So it isn't gonna be like only top 8 will get a placing and everyone else will be xx like with pools lol.

It works the same way play offs do in american sports, where the top teams go into a bracket at the end.

Saying that, I don't know the ins and outs LOL. That is just the general idea, so a 8 man bracket isn't as harsh as it would seem.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
It works in a way that each person gets a solid placing rather than it being 13th, 9th, 7th etc like a normal bracket depending on how far you go in the bracket, will play loads of people and work out a placing on all of the results, so get a more solid and representable number. So it isn't gonna be like only top 8 will get a placing and everyone else will be xx like with pools lol.

It works the same way play offs do in american sports, where the top teams go into a bracket at the end.

Saying that, I don't know the ins and outs LOL. That is just the general idea, so a 8 man bracket isn't as harsh as it would seem.
sounds good. Especially since I don't need to worry about organising anything XD

Kone

Smash Master
jjlinyard - correct

craiigg - what ryan said. What we are thinking of doing is splitting everyone into 2 x swiss leagues. Basically, imagine two large pools. We're thinking there is going to be around 10-12 people per league. You will basically play a set round of matches within your league and move postion up and down said league determining how well you do. After the first round (which will be random) you will play players in your league based on each others win/loss record. This is where the fairness comes in as every match should be fair/pressure.

After the league finishes everyone will be ranked from 1-10th. This will give more accuate results than the pool system. The top four of each league will move into a top 8 DE bracket with 1st playing 4th, 2nd playing 3rd etc. This way the top 8 are accurately seeded.

The reason we are thinking of doing it this way is that there are far to many uk players around a similar level. Pools, imo, aren't accurate enough (esp with a lack lustre turnout) to determine who should make it into the bracket.

In regards to a top 16 bracket the results outside of the top 7 are pretty random anyway. Swiss will allow a better ranking.

Uh, basically, you play more games. If you really are good you will play consistantly against good players in the league format. If you are good enough you will make it into the top four. If you make it into the bracket then you can accurately say that you are one of the better players in the UK. For those outisde of the top 8 the swiss system will allow you to see how short you actually are to the top 8.

Hope that makes sense.

---------------
Taken from wikipedia lol. Dont know how accurate this all is.

The principle of a Swiss tournament is that each player will be pitted against another player who has done as well (or poorly) as him or herself.

The first round is either drawn at random or seeded according to rating. Players who win receive a point, those who draw receive half a point and losers receive no points. Win, lose, or draw, all players proceed to the next round where winners are pitted against winners, losers are pitted against losers, and so on. In subsequent rounds, players face opponents with the same (or almost the same) score. No player is paired up against the same opponent twice however. In chess it is also attempted to ensure that each player plays an equal number of games with white and black, alternate colors in each round being the most preferable, and a concerted effort is made not to assign the same color three times in a row.

The basic rule is that players with the same score are ranked according to rating. Then the top half is paired with the bottom half. For instance, if there are eight players in a score group, number 1 is paired with number 5, number 2 is paired with number 6 and so on. Modifications are then made to balance colors and prevent players from meeting each other twice.

Analysis, advantages, and disadvantages
Determining a clear winner (and, incidentally, a clear loser) usually requires the same number of rounds as a knockout tournament, that is the binary logarithm of the number of players rounded up. Therefore three rounds can handle eight players, four rounds can handle sixteen players and so on, however it is not uncommon to have more players than this, and, if fewer than the ideal number of rounds are played, it can happen that two or more players finish the tournament with a perfect score, having won all their games but never faced each other.

Compared to a knockout tournament the Swiss system has the inherent advantage of not eliminating anyone. That means that a player can enter such a tournament knowing that he will be able to play in all rounds, regardless of how well he does. The worst that can happen in this respect is being the player left over when there is an odd number of players. The player left over receives a bye, meaning the player does not play that particular round but receives a point. The player is reintroduced in the next round and will not receive another bye.

Another advantage compared to knockout tournaments is that the final ranking gives some indication of relative strength for all contestants, not just for the winner of the tournament. As an example, the losing finalist in a knockout tournament may not be the second best contestant; that might have been any of the contestants eliminated by the eventual tournament winner in earlier rounds.

A Swiss system tournament does not always end with the exciting climax of the knockout's final however. Sometimes a player may have picked up such a great lead that by the last round he is assured of winning the tournament even if he loses the last game. One fairly common fix for this dilemma is to hold single elimination rounds among the top scorers. In Scrabble tournaments a player with such a strong lead will often be paired against the highest-placed player who cannot possibly finish in the prize-winning zone; this process is known as Gibsonization after it was first applied to the US Champion David Gibson in the 1995 All-Stars tournament. He is the all-time top money winner in the history of Scrabble, and has made a habit of clinching victory in major events without waiting for the final round. Because of this, players are said to be Gibsonized when after winning, they are paired with lower-ranked players to avoid affecting the ranking of runners-up.

Compared with a round-robin tournament, a Swiss can handle many players without requiring an impractical number of rounds. An elimination tournament is better suited to a situation in which only a limited number of games may be played at once, e.g. tennis. In a Swiss system, all players can be playing a round at the same time.

---------------

This obv depends on time and whether will wants to run it in the end. We did discuss it this weekend (and joe) and think it'll be th way forward to maximise the accuracy of results with smaller turnout!

lv ed
x

Kone

Smash Master
If you read the wiki comment then we are combining the accuracy of swiss with the excitment of a knockout tournament.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
^^ im trying to convince him, but if he aint coming i prob wont make the 5 hour ish journey by myself plus i would have to do it on saturday by myself =/

craiigg

Smash Lord
wow thanks ryan and ed =D

actually sounds alot better than i first seemed, means more matches =D

good **** SDBNW o: <3

Kone

Smash Master
i take credit lol ;)

jjfox how is ti to expensive? travel is much cheeaper for londoners than the rest of us! understandble tho

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Ed- If it's at Wills house then there would probably be time so I think that the whole swiss thing might be a good call. If it is more accurate like you say it is then this tournament would be a good time to use it. Besides, it doesn't get used in UK tournaments so after this the rest of us will have some idea of how to use it etc.

VA

Smash Hero
that's how they tun magic the gathering tournaments. how do I know this...? hmm....

P.S Armada is **** and Zhu beat m2k. Wtf?

Kone

Smash Master
SO HOW WE LOOKING FOR ATTENDANCE?

LONDON-> YOU GUYS GOING TO STEP IT UP FOR SOME LONDON V SDB ACTION?

JJFOX/JJLINYAD - You guys in or out?

Gantz/Last dragon - HAVE YOU BOOKED YET?!?!?!?!?!?

Auroreon/Warning - Making it? be worth it?

SCOTLAND
----------
Anyone else making it? what about davemans. Paul, see who else you can get?

OTHERS
--------

Swizzy

Jam

Craiig

ANY OTHER PEOPLE?

howays all!

=========================

Anyone else who is interested add me on msn if you got any queries= ceddon@hotymail.com

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
LOL nice hotymail.

guys we're all sound, just striving to find our place in the world thats all. On that note I'd like to announce I am going to this tournament, yes thats right Im booked!!! See you all there! :suess:

Oh aye on the Scottish front. I'll see if I can get Louie to go. David cant make it, couldnt get the time off work. Possibly some penetrago in it solely for banter. No-one else I can think of really :suess:

BTW LONDON TELL FROSTBYTE TO COME PLEASE LOL. TELL HIM ZEPPO DEMANDS THAT HE APPEAR AND HIS PIKACHU IS **** ETC. FROSTBYTE IS COO'

Kone

Smash Master
Has he got work on the day? or isnt he not playing as he just has work? if the latter then most people have that U_U'

Kone

Smash Master
With us running two large swiss leagues at this tournament (imagine two very large, intense, pools) and only 4 people from each making the DE bracket, who do people think will get there?

Imo this is going to be one of the closest tournaments in some time. Alot of very good players on very similar playing levels!

Fuzzy
Pro
Edwin
Z
Ryan
Ed
Jam
Craiigg
Coey
Jo3
Aiko

..Ben?!?!

going to be close stuff!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
With us running two large swiss leagues at this tournament (imagine two very large, intense, pools) and only 4 people from each making the DE bracket, who do people think will get there?

Imo this is going to be one of the closest tournaments in some time. Alot of very good players on very similar playing levels!

Fuzzy
Pro
Edwin
Z
Ryan
Ed
Jam
Craiigg
Coey
Jo3
Aiko

..Ben?!?!

going to be close stuff!
I agree. I don't think anyone could make a concrete list of the placing of the top 8 people And I don't think anyone in this tournament is gonna be sailing through the brackets lol.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master

Fuzzy
Pro
Edwin
Z
Ryan
Ed
Jam
Craiigg
Coey
Jo3
Aiko

..Ben?!?!

going to be close stuff!
hehe I agree

Kone

Smash Master
Swizzy hasnt confirmed he is coming robby. Ive left people of that arent confirmed (jam and craig are 99% confirmed) or that dont yet have the reputation or experience to deserve their names mentioned. They need to step it up at a tourney like this and be recognised!

;)

almas
yen
gantz
last dragon
blinky
other scots?
warning
auroreon

any of u making it?

------------
ps for robby and others im thinking of hosting a tourney 3rd weekend of aug.

grayfox

Smash Champion
I agree. I don't think anyone could make a concrete list of the placing of the top 8 people And I don't think anyone in this tournament is gonna be sailing through the brackets lol.
Speak for yourself:confused:

But aye cool. Should we discuss who will go into each bracket now to have something to discuss? Even tohugh it would inevitably change on the day I wanna see some discussion rolling in here.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Ben do you still want or revenge against Gants since he nearly 4 stocked you and he did beat you pretty clearly, like two stocks lol but somehow you think you should have won it lol.

Top Bottom