• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(SCS) Steel City Showdown! July 26th, Pittsburgh, PA -LIVESTREAM IS UP!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's it. LoCal's all coming in swim trunks and flippy-floppies. At least for pools. We don't need swim trunks when we're not in a pool.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I don't really see the point in pools. The best player should win no matter what order he faces everyone else. Just seems like a cheap way to arrange the final match so that it suits a few players better.

Oh, well. At least it will provide a much-needed warmup.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
How come? I was looking forward to seeing you there.
Going with my family to SoCal... I was trying to book tickets for after this tourney, but could only get them for Friday... The only way I imagine I'd be able to make it is if someone chickens out and doesn't want to fly...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Going with my family to LoCal... I was trying to book tickets for after this tourney, but could only get them for Friday... The only way I imagine I'd be able to make it is if someone chickens out and doesn't want to fly...
lolwhut

But still, sorry to hear :/

I agree with GwJ's theory on pools. It doesn't really bother me whether or not we do it. It'll only make the seeding more accurate and overall a more enjoyable experience for the latter.

@Fishy - I'm already decided that I'm going to, lmao

:093:

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Pools is more or less a way to give more people a chance to play more games... Seeding by pools is pretty accurate 95% of the time IMO... The only problem is keeping them all even and not letting them get too stacked with good players or people from the same location...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I don't really see the point in pools. The best player should win no matter what order he faces everyone else. Just seems like a cheap way to arrange the final match so that it suits a few players better.

Oh, well. At least it will provide a much-needed warmup.
Pools = more matches for lower placing players.

The reason pools are so great is take DBZ for example. Let's say before the cell saga that the championship was double elim.

Goku would fight vegeta first round and knock him into losers because he isn't majin vegeta. Let's say that after that fight, Android 18 fights Goten and Trunks and gets knocked into losers. 18 would end up fighting Vegeta FIRST ROUND of losers bracket and take LAST place overall. Hercule maybe got an easy bracket and placed 5th even though android 18 could destroy him no problem. If 2 really good players fight in round 1 it makes things nigh impossible for people in loser's bracket.

If they seeded the bracket using pools results, Goku and Vegeta would be on entirely different ends of the bracket and the results would more accurately reflect the skill level.

M@v

Subarashii!
Pools = more matches for lower placing players.

The reason pools are so great is take DBZ for example. Let's say before the cell saga that the championship was double elim.

Goku would fight vegeta first round and knock him into losers because he isn't majin vegeta. Let's say that after that fight, Android 18 fights Goten and Trunks and gets knocked into losers. 18 would end up fighting Vegeta FIRST ROUND of losers bracket and take LAST place overall. Hercule maybe got an easy bracket and placed 5th even though android 18 could destroy him no problem. If 2 really good players fight in round 1 it makes things nigh impossible for people in loser's bracket.

If they seeded the bracket using pools results, Goku and Vegeta would be on entirely different ends of the bracket and the results would more accurately reflect the skill level.
QFT....also, Love the DBZ reference. But its before the BUU saga. Learn your DBZ n00b. ;)

As he said, pools give people more tournament matches. This helps especially people new to tournaments; it give them a lot of experience in what can be a stressful tourney environment. We won't likely have enough to eliminate anyone, so don't worry. The pools will just be there to properly seed everyone. And look at the bright side: it gives you a good warmup before brackets :).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
@Fishy - Wow >_>

@ITT - That was amazing, lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
DBZ is too goods ^_^

M@v

Subarashii!
LoCal > SoCal.
I'm seriously considering bringing swim trunks and flippy floppies
But Ill be flipping burgers and you'll be at Kinko's flipping copies

....of tourney flyers :).

Also, if anyone plays the Yugioh TGC, I'd be willing to bring my cards and play some games when the tourney ends.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm still wondering if there's enough people for a pools.

0_o

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you just need 32? There should be at least 37 people coming. I'm actually looking forward to pools...it will give me a good chance to play a variety of characters in a tourney setting to see what sticks. Plus, the more Smash in general, the better. I might be bringing a Wii, but I definitely don't have a TV that I can transport. By the current count, about half of us can be playing at any given time if all setups are 1v1.

M@v

Subarashii!
you can do seeding pools with any amount of people. It only is a concern if you want to knock people out of pools.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I have to agree with Crews. I never got to play him last time and I'd prefer it be a friendly than a tourney match as friendlies are.....friendlier to put it simply. FFA's shouldn't be on the open TV, friendlies should.

Kawaiiness

Smash Rookie
I managed to get a shift switch at work, so L and I will in fact be attending. Looking forward to it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Updated. I know some people are bringing setups who didnt tell me, but can you at least let me know if you are? I need to keep track of it so I know how many TVs I have to work with.

Also, BRING more setups! ;)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dang.

Trash talk just changed to low blows >_>

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Don't ask me not to make crossdresser jokes. How often do you think I get the chance???

Alternate cross-dresser version:
I do what I want! *snap* *snap* *snap*

Top Bottom