• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
if what you guys say is true, i mean i don't play any other fighters or games at all, so i can't just judge those, but if you guys are saying that the same crap that happened to melee with all these people switching over to brawl, then i don't think it's ever going to change, history will repeat itself over again, people jumped, as you said, to the inferior street fighter or other ones, and people jumped to brawl, people are most likely gonna do the same for most games that are good and the sequel that comes out which will be bad, i really really like melee, and im gonna keep it alive with other fellow meleers

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Btw, I'd like to note that brawl is way more "textbook" than anything in melee. Spam spam spam, hit them away, spam spam spam. If you get hit, get out using air dodge/attacks. If someone attacks, shield, then **** them because of retardedly low shield drop times. There is always an optimum way to play in brawl, and it isn't usually that hard to figure out. That isn't so true in melee, where you truly have a variety of viable options, each of which would require a different response from your opponent.
Lol. Seriously, good one.

Stop trying to generalize Brawl in simple statements. It doesn't work. Granted Melee has more options, but Brawl players have to work around and adapt to different situations too. Brawl players are not sheep looking at the "perfect way" to play our game and use it and nothing else. In fact, it is you people that force yourselves to conform to this strategy because you're too busy whining about how Brawl has fewer options than Melee instead of trying to vary yourself in the way you play. There are many people who play both Melee and Brawl and enjoy both of them; they have fun because they look for ways to expand their playstyle, just like they do when they play Melee. If you have to limit yourself to this strategy because you don't want to work to find other methods that work, fine. Just stop trying to generalize the way we play our game.

The optimum way to play in Brawl is by using your brain, knowing your character's strengths and limitations, and finding a way to defeat any obstacle you face (and yes, I do mean camping and spamming in that list of "obstacles.")

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
from here i dont really know what to discuss. im confused about the topic.

Thread title: What does competitive really mean
Main Goal: to focus on the reasons for why opposing sides can't seem to agree on anything ever.
What ive seen in this thread: arguments about melee being more in depth

so i guess ill just throw in my part and hope that it fits in.

there are a lot of points that i agree with so far. I think what m2k said about brawl requiring luck is true. i cant count the times where i could of gotten a KO, but i trip and snake blows me up. m2k also said "You can do things randomly and not get punished for it nearly as bad as you would in melee". Sometimes when i play with my friend, we can being playing the most serious game, and ill still pull off taunts in battle, or play on the ledge. The ledge is a whole new story but ill save that for another paragraph. i guess what brawl comes down to is being unfair and unbalanced. o_O

The thing that got me against brawl were some of characters. im not sure if anyone feels this way but i think that some of the characters are totally unbalanced.
the most unbalanced i would say is snake. for starters hes way over powered. all his moves has great knock back, his range is broken, and hes pretty fast. his dash attack can be canceled. his up smash can be spammed with 0 consequence. 2 grenades 2 land mines(Dsmash downB) and 3 missiles(Fsmash Usmash forwardB) at his disposal.
Then there is lucario. lucario is almost as bad as snake, considering the more times you hit him the stronger he gets. his range is excellent and at a high percentage its tough to get around. his utilt his fast and covers all directions. HES JUST GOOD! >_>

back to the ledge. with the auto sweet spot, if you want unlimited invincibility, go right ahead. if someone has hold of the ledge, dont worry. youll get the ledge. Now when someone rolls out of the ledge, youll still be able to grab onto it. its just so much easier getting onto the ledge (unless your ZSS, olimGar, or ivysaur) especially with all the messed up recovery's. i guarantee you that any character you pick, will be able reach the stage from any given point on a stage. well almost any given point.

im not sure, but i noticed when i play brawl, its pointless trying to DI. Uptilts always hit me no matter which way i DI. Cant DI out of chain grabs. Atleast you have some kind of chance getting out of a chain grab in melee. D3 can chain grab someone at 999%. melee can chaingrab to 35%ish o_O

In the end, brawl CAN be a competitive game, but its nothing compare to melee. its like comparing tekken, the worst fighter evar, to MVC2, one of the greatest fighters out there. a 5 hit combo in tekken can take out more then half of the hp bar, while in MVC2 it would take a 30 hit combo to barely reach mid point. In brawl it doesnt take a whole lot to kill someone, while in melee you actually have to work for your kill.

sorry i dont capitalize my I's and use punctuation marks like '. the internets doesnt call for such important things.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
Well, it's nothing compared to Melee in your opino right? Cause I think it is MORE competitive than Melee, it's not something objetive but subjetive.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Well, it's nothing compared to Melee in your opino right? Cause I think it is MORE competitive than Melee, it's not something objetive but subjetive.
It's obvious you don't know what's conducive to a competitive game. Let me ask you this, what makes a game competitive?

This was on the first page, yet is still relevent:

Competitive vs Competition

If you look it up in a dictionary, you will find a very different definition. Sometimes the dictionary is not the place to go. Words are clumsy tools we use to try to convey thoughts. We must define the word on our own.

The definition of competitive that has received the most support is the innate property of a game allowing better players to win consistently. This yields my mantra, that which I repeat over and over to prove my point.

Those who should win will win.

It is necessary to point out that this has nothing to do with the competition you will face. There is a big difference between competition and competitiveness.

Also, competitiveness is a scale. By definition, someone better than someone else at anything will on average win more. Competitiveness can only be talked about relatively, since everything that isn't completely random has a certain amount of competitiveness.

Brawl is competitive to a degree, but pro-Melee debaters will argue that on average, better players will win more consistently in Melee than equally skilled competitors in Brawl.

Also we will argue that contests are settled with dominance in Melee between players of NEARLY EQUAL SKILL! In Brawl, win/loss ratios are much closer to the 50% mark unless it's between two players of vastly different skill levels.

Important consequences:
The argument "I think any game can be competitive" is no longer valid. It is clear that you are simply saying, "people can compete in any game." It is also clear that this statement points out plain fact.

The problem is that you are confusing competition with competitiveness. Shallow games are not competitive, but you can find competition in them.

Posted by Scar.

Posted by ShadowLink:

"BRawl is inferior to Melee competitive wise. It isn't that it can't be competitive but that the depth of the game is simply inferior to melee.
No hate involved.
__________________"

And this is from a user who consistently argues for Brawl.

Additionally, How can you say a game deliberately designed for gaps in skill level to be reduced, for competitiveness itself to be reduced is more competitive than one which isn't?

For example, even though I prefer Pikmin to Starcraft i wouldn't argue it was a more competitive game.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
LMFAO ****ing ridiculous been almost 3 months now. Just stop talking about it and go play what you want. For the most part i just stopped playing smash generally speaking.

For those that are dissappointed in brawl, but don't want to go back in melee, here's some advice: try different games.

For those who are excited about brawl: good for you most of you probably haven't played melee in the competitive scene.

For those of you who are like emotionally attached to melee: just play it, your concern shouldn't be to convince other people that its a better game. You can care less about what a halo player thinks do the same for these people.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
In the end, brawl CAN be a competitive game, but its nothing compare to melee. its like comparing tekken, the worst fighter evar, to MVC2, one of the greatest fighters out there. a 5 hit combo in tekken can take out more then half of the hp bar, while in MVC2 it would take a 30 hit combo to barely reach mid point. In brawl it doesnt take a whole lot to kill someone, while in melee you actually have to work for your kill.
dont talk about games you dont know anything about. thanx

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
there are a lot of points that i agree with so far. I think what m2k said about brawl requiring luck is true. i cant count the times where i could of gotten a KO, but i trip and snake blows me up. m2k also said "You can do things randomly and not get punished for it nearly as bad as you would in melee". Sometimes when i play with my friend, we can being playing the most serious game, and ill still pull off taunts in battle, or play on the ledge. The ledge is a whole new story but ill save that for another paragraph. i guess what brawl comes down to is being unfair and unbalanced. o_O
Tripping is not so terrible that a single trip should cost you the match. For that matter, there aren't very many ways you can screw up that will immediately lose you even a stock.

The thing that got me against brawl were some of characters. im not sure if anyone feels this way but i think that some of the characters are totally unbalanced.
the most unbalanced i would say is snake. for starters hes way over powered. all his moves has great knock back, his range is broken, and hes pretty fast. his dash attack can be canceled. his up smash can be spammed with 0 consequence. 2 grenades 2 land mines(Dsmash downB) and 3 missiles(Fsmash Usmash forwardB) at his disposal.
Then there is lucario. lucario is almost as bad as snake, considering the more times you hit him the stronger he gets. his range is excellent and at a high percentage its tough to get around. his utilt his fast and covers all directions. HES JUST GOOD! >_>
Snake is no more overpowered than Fox used to be. And Lucario is very, very far from overpowered...

back to the ledge. with the auto sweet spot, if you want unlimited invincibility, go right ahead. if someone has hold of the ledge, dont worry. youll get the ledge. Now when someone rolls out of the ledge, youll still be able to grab onto it. its just so much easier getting onto the ledge (unless your ZSS, olimGar, or ivysaur) especially with all the messed up recovery's. i guarantee you that any character you pick, will be able reach the stage from any given point on a stage. well almost any given point.
Auto sweetspot is a moot point in high level play. It wasn't so hard to sweetspot in Melee that everyone didn't master it, so making it easier really makes no difference to the game.

As for not occupying the ledge when rolling. This is a GOOD thing. Now ledgehogging actually requires timing, instead of "grab the ledge and roll when their recovery comes near you". Same idea for being able to reach the ledge from almost any point; now you have to edgeguard for kills at low percentages, not just watch your opponent die because they can't recover from more than half the distance to the KO boundary.

im not sure, but i noticed when i play brawl, its pointless trying to DI. Uptilts always hit me no matter which way i DI. Cant DI out of chain grabs. Atleast you have some kind of chance getting out of a chain grab in melee. D3 can chain grab someone at 999%. melee can chaingrab to 35%ish o_O
I don't understand where you get all these chaingrabs from. There really aren't that many, and some DO stop working past certain percentages.

...what? That is the exact opposite of what actually happens.

In Melee, if you make a mistake, you can be easily comboed. If you're at decently high damage, you will be comboed to death. In Brawl, however, there are practically no combos at any damage. In fact, that's one of the major complaints against it; people aren't punished as much for making mistakes, because you can't combo.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is not so terrible that a single trip should cost you the match. For that matter, there aren't very many ways you can screw up that will immediately lose you even a stock.
I've won countless matches because someone trips into my F-smashes

I've also lost countless matches because i did the same.

and @ LOL_master

You're starting to scare me with your al- of-a-sudden sensible posts >.>

jesterlolz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, as you can probably see, I'm kinda a "smash noob" (as indicated by my post count and the title under my name). However, I would like to add my opinions into this debate, discuss or disregard this post, I'm fine with whichever, I merely want to say my opinion.

First of all, I am pro-Brawl. I joined in March when I was bored of playing brawl. I wasn't involved in Melee or Melee's competitive game. I know how to wavedash, but I never could do lots of Falco combos, I just played around with friends.

As to the first post, yes, Melee is more competitive for one reason. Brawl is more random. Brawl has tripping and more moves with random effects (Waddle-Dee toss and Razor Leaf, to name two). If there was not randomness, then the better player would always win. The reason sometimes the worse player wins in a game without randomness (Melee, for the most part) is because our brains aren't always perfect, which is why the fights between two players aren't always the same, we constantly are changing, we ourselves have a bit of randomness.

However, just because Melee is more competitive does not rule out Brawl as a competitive game. Indeed, a little bit of randomness may slightly change the tide of a battle, it may win a battle for the worse player. However, I don't feel that this alone is reason enough for people to stop playing Brawl.

Many people say "Brawl is not Melee 2.0." Now, I know in this intelligent discussion thread we should not say that, but honestly, its true. I am not saying people should stop playing Melee, as I feel Melee itself is also a great game. However, there is no reason why the two games cannot coexist. For those who prefer Melee, play Melee. For those who prefer Brawl, play Brawl. There is no reason why both tournaments cannot go on. People still played in Street Fighter tournaments when Melee came out. The introduction of Melee did not halt those tournmanents, why cannot the same thing happen between Melee and Brawl.

This is why the argument that Brawl shouldn't have tournaments because it rewards camping characters is flawed. Does not Melee reward Space Animal characters. There will be a tier list, no matter what type of game is played. The two different meta-games will be different. The two tier lists will be different. Strategies will be different. The two games are different.

To reiterate, Melee is more competitive. The more skilled player wins more often in Melee than in Brawl. However, people who prefer the gameplay and strategies of Brawl, who find that they frankly play better in Brawl, shouldn't have their opportunities at competitive gameplay be taken away.

The two should just coexist.

[/rantover]

chansen

Smash Lord
finally this thread has some decent arguments.

but alas, competitive is still what you make of it. That's the subjective part. The objective part is to kill your opponent. Regardless of the context, that's what competitive means.

And I'm pretty sure thats the goal of this thread >_>.

D20

Smash Lord
People speak of strategies in Brawl and how Brawl is more strategic...

What strategies?

Please enlighten me.

Corigames

Smash Hero
^^^

Spamming too. Don't forget that.

OHH! You can trick your opponent into hitting you so that you can hit them twice due to lack of hitstun!

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure everyones experienced this at least once. Remember when getting into the community going to a few tournies and getting owned. Knowing whose mad good and stuff then deciding to go over to some one whose clearly clearly better than you's house and practice and getting the butterflies but still going in with the thought of doing your best and trying hard, going the whole day and getting owned and feeling like you accomplished nothing but really did. Thats never gonna happen for me in brawl along with countless other really cool memories that I got with melee.

Those were such cool feelings. Sitting there thinking of all the new things you were gonna try out. And imaging getting real good and going to your next tourney with confidence and learning new things. The hope of getting that aha moment that lets you see the game a little deeper. In brawl, even if I was going over like Azen's house I'd still be able to spam and camp real hard and win matches and get close instead of getting owned over and over again and thinking of thousands of possibilities of what i could be doing wrong/right. For brawl i'd be like oh well I guess I could've been a little more patient here. Oh and there I shoulda ran away a little more first. **** I'm pretty bored of this game. I gotta figure out an excuse to tell azen so I can leave.

Edit : I haven't read this thread in ages, but I really wanted to share this LOL. I started thinking about going over taj's when I was a scrub and having all these feelings such good memories. Even if he did like 3 stock me with every character in the list that day. Cept ness I think i won against his ness. xD

Eggm

Smash Hero
Auto sweetspot is a moot point in high level play. It wasn't so hard to sweetspot in Melee that everyone didn't master it, so making it easier really makes no difference to the game.
Wowwwww. And now I realize why I stopped reading this thread.

Edit : ugh double post on mistake. ><

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Wowwwww. And now I realize why I stopped reading this thread.

Edit : ugh double post on mistake. ><
Making something easier to do does not detract from the depth of a game. Yes, it shortens the gap between the advanced and the beginners, but what the hell do beginners matter to us? In the end, the game is no less deep by making sweetspotting easier. In fact, you can even use the auto sweetspot to your advantage by not sweetspotting the edge with some characters, i.e. holding down after you up-B with Marth. You can catch your opponent off-guard ^_^

If you honestly believe that the difficulty of pulling things off makes a game more competitive, then aren't you admitting that Smash is less competitive than other fighters? Hell, most other people who play 2D fighters don't even think Smash is a fighting game because you don't do a motion with the control stick in order to do an attack. And I'm sure you can find many people who will agree that making things easier does not eliminate depth. In fact, Sirlin said the exact same thing.

Eggm

Smash Hero
You could catch your opponent off guard with the exact same tactic in melee, I fail to see your point. It does detract depth. Standing on the stage edge guards are basically useless now. Also the depth of smash DIing into the stage vs certain moves and teching is gone. A lot of the edge game is dumbed down because of this. It took a lot of talent skill and depth to do ledge tricks with pikachu's up + b in melee to stall and what not, it takes no skill what so ever in brawl. Its also far far less exciting without those breath taking techs in intense matches with everyone watching. How can something that takes away an entire aspect of the game (Edge guarding while on the stage) not take away depth? I fail to understand. Going down to hit then needing to grab the edge before your opponent with complicated movments or angles to get it just before them is much much easier too.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Eggm;

The first tournament I went to was a several mile trip from Tempe to Tuscon in a car with Taj, Forward, and Wobbles. Most awesome days of my life were those trips to Tuscon tournaments. Then there was the day I bought Taj by feeding him pancakes until I had no more, then went to a tournament to see if I did any better. Had a friend sit down for a whole weekend to teach me how to get better.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. I miss those times, and I don't think I'll be able to have the same experiences in Brawl.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
Who cares about the legitimacy of arguments. All I know is that Brawl sucks. Melee is 500 times better. Hows that for an argument?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You could catch your opponent off guard with the exact same tactic in melee, I fail to see your point. It does detract depth. Standing on the stage edge guards are basically useless now.
Are people still saying that? Wow. Look, nearly every character in the game has an awesome recovery, right? So then instead of sitting on the stage waiting for them to get back, you can jump out there and hit the. And if you miss, it doesn't matter, since your recovery is good enough to get back without even needing to grab the ledge half the time. In my initial statement, I never said the auto sweetspot gives more depth, I just said it didn't detract from it. But you're bringing in edgeguarding now, which is, as I've pointed out, just as deep as Melee, if not moreso.

It took a lot of talent skill and depth to do ledge tricks with pikachu's up + b in melee to stall and what not, it takes no skill what so ever in brawl.
Technical skill =/= Depth of gameplay. Sure, in the beginning of a game's lifespan, someone can have an advantage over their opponent because they can wavedash while the other guy can't. But once that other guy can do it, then the technical skill it required is a moot point. Sure, you may ENJOY technical skill more, and that is perfectly fine. But that doesn't mean its less deep. It just means its different.

Its also far far less exciting without those breath taking techs in intense matches with everyone watching.
Opinions aren't evidence in debates.

How can something that takes away an entire aspect of the game (Edge guarding while on the stage) not take away depth? I fail to understand. Going down to hit then needing to grab the edge before your opponent with complicated movments or angles to get it just before them is much much easier too.
And yet, I've just pointed out a whole NEW aspect that opened up! Stop being so stuck on the idea of Melee. If you like Melee more, then by all means go enjoy the game. I agree that its one hell of an awesome game. But being different from Melee doesn't make Brawl any worse.

Brawl. Isn't. Melee.

Who cares about the legitimacy of arguments. All I know is that Brawl sucks. Melee is 500 times better. Hows that for an argument?
Less of an argument, more of an opinion ^_^''

Eggm

Smash Hero
It certainly isn't it has followers of idiots like you who really looked me in the face without cracking a smile and said brawl edge guarding might be even more deep than melees. Give me a break. Get over yourself.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Edgeguarding in Brawl with Luigi: I hit people with a bair who are coming back, if they don't die, they will come back no matter what I do. This happens all the time in Brawl.

There is no denying that recovering in Brawl is rediculously easy (just like in Smash 64 it was rediculously easy to edgeguard). This total imbalance makes the person off the stage not have to think as much of how to get back on the stage while the edgeguarder either a. Has to totally predict them and do something amazing to kill them, usually it only racks up damage if that b. Go back to playing defensively. There is alot less options for the edgeguarder while the options of the recoverer are the same (and a little more).....this automatically makes the edgegame more dumbed down.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Are people still saying that? Wow. Look, nearly every character in the game has an awesome recovery, right? So then instead of sitting on the stage waiting for them to get back, you can jump out there and hit the. And if you miss, it doesn't matter, since your recovery is good enough to get back without even needing to grab the ledge half the time. In my initial statement, I never said the auto sweetspot gives more depth, I just said it didn't detract from it. But you're bringing in edgeguarding now, which is, as I've pointed out, just as deep as Melee, if not moreso.
However, off-stage edgeguarding was big in Melee too. The difference was that there was the option of sweetspotting the ledge, which took a little bit of careful placement and timing to do, and messing up left you in a vulnerable position for edgeguarding. Auto-sweetspot takes away that possibility of making a mistake and in the process turns the option of off-stage edgeguarding into a necessity because there are no longer any other options.

Technical skill =/= Depth of gameplay. Sure, in the beginning of a game's lifespan, someone can have an advantage over their opponent because they can wavedash while the other guy can't. But once that other guy can do it, then the technical skill it required is a moot point. Sure, you may ENJOY technical skill more, and that is perfectly fine. But that doesn't mean its less deep. It just means its different.
Meh. I'm like, the least technical above-average Melee player in Michigan, but I'm more disappointed with the fact that in Brawl I have more time to think about fewer things. And the fact that I tend to zone out whenever I try to watch Brawl match videos.

Eggm

Smash Hero

Its not even close to being deeper than melee. Or as deep for that matter. You had way more options and tricks to pull out while edge guarding. More things to learn and practice and have the option to do (depth). I'll name a few right now. Using moves on stage that hit below the stage to edge guard. WDing past the ledge to immediate ariels. I could go on. But as you can see theres more options in melee options = depth no denying it.

Agreed. But once you take away options it makes it less deep. Which brawls inferior engine does. Especially with the edge game. However it is nice to have an advantage from practicing more than your opponent (more consistent tech skill. )

Opinions aren't evidence in debates.
Nope they aren't, but the fact that brawl's edge game has less options isn't an opinion.

And yet, I've just pointed out a whole NEW aspect that opened up! Stop being so stuck on the idea of Melee. If you like Melee more, then by all means go enjoy the game. I agree that its one hell of an awesome game. But being different from Melee doesn't make Brawl any worse.

Brawl. Isn't. Melee.
Yeah, we haven't heard that enough or that we have to adapt or that brawl has more mindgames than brawl. >_> Brawl isn't melee (thank god) and we don't have to adapt we can just stop being stubborn and playing this awful game competitively. And brawl doesn't have 1/2 the mindgames melee had. one argument that they are more important once seemed ok enough for me to let go until I thought about it and realized that they are even more important in melee. This is a whole different topic tho.

Less of an argument, more of an opinion ^_^''[/QUOTE]

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Agreed. But once you take away options it makes it less deep.
This is one point that I agree with. The only difference to the way we see things is that you look at options lost, while I look at options gained. Are there more gained than lost? Are there more lost than gained? When we discuss depth, we are merely discussing options. The more options in a game, the more depth there is to it.

Its not even close to being deeper than melee. Or as deep for that matter. You had way more options and tricks to pull out while edge guarding. More things to learn and practice and have the option to do (depth). I'll name a few right now. Using moves on stage that hit below the stage to edge guard. WDing past the ledge to immediate ariels. I could go on. But as you can see theres more options in melee options = depth no denying it.
Its useless to compile a list. We couldn't hope to encompass everything either game has to offer, and what either of them could offer in the future (as Melee is indeed still evolving, albiet slower than it once did). There is one thing that I have said throughout this: I will not accept the popular belief that the options lost outweigh the options gained. For all we know, there could be MORE options gained than lost. The argument that has been repeated to death resurfaces once again: It is too early to tell.

Agreed. But once you take away options it makes it less deep. Which brawls inferior engine does. Especially with the edge game. However it is nice to have an advantage from practicing more than your opponent (more consistent tech skill. )
I see nothing more than an opinion here. Hey, did you know that some ledge attacks when you press A to get up can actually hit below the stage? And that it can stage spike some recoveries given the right timing?

Nope they aren't, but the fact that brawl's edge game has less options isn't an opinion.
Oh wait, thats right, I forgot. You seem to know all the options the game has already. Because its been out for a whole 3 months now. Yeah, there is much to this game that we don't know yet, so stop pretending like you have some omnipotent vision over the game. I don't care if you think that Brawl has less options. That is your right to do so, your opinion, and you are entitled to that. But stop pretending like its fact.

Yeah, we haven't heard that enough or that we have to adapt or that brawl has more mindgames than brawl. >_> Brawl isn't melee (thank god) and we don't have to adapt we can just stop being stubborn and playing this awful game competitively. And brawl doesn't have 1/2 the mindgames melee had. one argument that they are more important once seemed ok enough for me to let go until I thought about it and realized that they are even more important in melee. This is a whole different topic tho.
Indeed, this is a topic I don't really feel like getting into right now.

I can't begin to imagine how many options there are in Melee, nor how many there are in Brawl. I am honestly frustrated when I see people so intensely focused on the options that were lost, that they fail to see the options gained. As a moderator, I've been required to read this far more than you could imagine, and I am just plain sick of it. I apologize if I sounded harsh at all, but I'm not in the best of moods and I'm just fed up watching people try to pass off their opinion as if it were fact. And then there is this whole thing about people pretending to know everything there is to the game, and complaining that there is no way to beat some characters or strategies.

Let me tell you, I've been a part of quite a few communities when a sequel to a game was released. For an example, I'll use Battle For Middle Earth 2, an RTS game for the PC. The RTS genre has some of the smartest, most strategic players behind it. People are constantly looking for new ways to play, new strategies to use, new moves to make, and the game kept changing. But you know whats funny? Every time there was a new strategy that was overpowering, 90% of the community cried about it. Pros included. They say something is overpowering or too cheap. Some strategy is too good and there is no way to beat it. Then a week or two passes by and they completely forget about even saying that. Smash isn't an RTS though, so it takes more time to find these counters and inact them. That doesn't change the fact that, whether we can see it right now or not, there IS a counter to the things that frustrate us now. The game WILL evolve further.

However, Smash isn't as straightforward or easy as an RTS is to evolve. We have to evolve the game by making it do things it wasn't intended to do. We can't constantly be testing these things against live opponents, because wifi sucks balls, so we have to spend even more time on top of trying to break the game. It is by no means an easy or quick task. Our experience from Melee helps us sift through which "discoveries" are crap, but it doesn't help us very much when we try to discover new things. The Smash community isn't special. We aren't magically going to uncover everything in the first few months of release. Calm down and be patient. Go back and play Melee for awhile. Maybe try out a couple other games. Come back to Brawl in a year or two. See where we are then. If we haven't evolved much further than polishing what you see now, then don't bother with the game. But I can tell you right now that in two years time, we will be infinitely better at the game than we are now. We'll watch videos of ourselves play and laugh at how bad we used to be. We don't know every option available to us now. Pretending that we do is just plain silly.

Ugh, I don't feel like typing anymore. I'm sure I got off topic a couple times in there, but I don't really care right now. Its been a long day so I'm just going to go to bed.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I like melee far more than brawl but I have to admit Samuraipanda that was some food for thought so to speak.

Well I was planning to give brawl more time anyway but I really hope it gets to be the exciting game that we all hoped it would be.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Alright I'm definitely not going to read all of this but as soon as I saw Amarkov say that edgeguarding and autosweetspotting was a moot point I got really angry and wanted to quote it from 3 pages back. I saw that Eggm had already addressed it and I subsequently wiped the sweat from my brow, then I saw SamuraiPanda arguing against him.

The fact of the matter is that sweetspotting is as hard as any other kind of spacing in any kind of game. If you suck at spacing you should suck at Smash, plain and simple. Autosweetspotting removed one more aspect of skill from the game, and that's that.

Just today I was playing Melee and I died because I didn't sweetspot. I can sweetspot blindfolded in Melee, I do it as well if not better than any other CF out there, but the reason I messed up was pressure. My opponent was edgeguarding well enough that he forced me to go low, and I didn't have enough time to sit there and line up my upB, because he could have edgehogged me if I did. I had to do it fast, and he killed me for it.

That whole scenario involves a lot of skill from both players, it's a subsection of the game and it's very valuable in determining who is actually better. Taking it out makes the game less deep, and I see where you're coming from but I am nowhere near convinced to the contrary.

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
No you wouldn't. I'd wager that the majority of people would be a lot happier if Brawl was just new characters, stages, and better graphics slapped onto the old Melee engine.

And as for the golf to football analogy--it's not a very good one, but your main point comes across. It's more like professional tennis players being forced to play table tennis.

I like that analogy a lot better.

Or rather the other way around ......... Table tennis is wayyyyyyyyy faster.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
@SamuraiPanda

that last bit got me. that kind of text, is the kind of text that ends the discussion. i still dont agree that brawl is more competitive, but it does bring a sense that there is more to brawl then i think. im willing to give it another chance ^_^

+5 falcon points (:

Scar

#HarveyDent
That doesn't change the fact that, whether we can see it right now or not, there IS a counter to the things that frustrate us now. The game WILL evolve further.
This is not fact, this is blind faith. Yeah I'm sure Brawl will evolve further than it is now, but I don't see it going much further than that, and none of this can be said definitively.

The big problem that will never change is the lack of combos due to the lack of hitstun. It really makes every move, hit, mistake and success much less important than they used to be. Edgeguarding and l-cancelling and wavedashing and all that jazz will be missed but it's not the huge problem.

Character balance is also a serious issue but things like that will be ironed out and made into a science in years to come. And I won't give the community that much credit by saying they'll have everything figured out in a year or two but in terms of competitive value, it doesn't seem like anything can be found to make Brawl a better game than Melee.

One thing I'd like to point out is that most high-level competitive Brawl players brag that they never even practice. The best Melee players all practice very frequently, and when they haven't it's noticeable.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
In any given fighting game, the best way to play is to take as little damage as possible while dealing as much damage as possible to your opponent. In Brawl, the best way to do this is simply to run away and throw ****, abuse ******** priority/hitboxes or just play Meta Knight. You can say that the game will evolve, however you cant deny the fact that a) Camping is overly powerful and b) Excessive Offense is extremely weak. With the lack of combos in Brawl, the fastest/best way to ensure damage on your opponent while still staying safe is to NOT approach and simply camp. Im sure there will be people who deny this, but I want more than just a simple explanation. I want someone to tell me whats better than camping in Brawl? What can beat camping, what is the better strategy?

Scar

#HarveyDent
thx SC, also @ plank, if one character in a game can combo then wtf? That's not what I'm talking about, every character should have a variety of simple two- or three-hit effective combos to be used in lots of situations, especially in punishment.

chansen

Smash Lord
Can't we go back to happy discount flashback warehouse again. Those memories were cool and stirred up some of my own.

I member being in high school and me and js met eighteenspikes on the boards. And we brought our friend with us to meet him. Just in case he was a predator. I think he brought nun chucks too.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
combos arent AS unexistant as we originally though, though they certainly arent what they are in melee

mk has TONS of combos, i 2nd kirby and he has guaranteed 0-60's on a lot of chars and at least 2 hit combos on almost everyone, if not everyone, lots of chars can combo utilts or chain bairs or uairs, ganon has dair combos, pikmin and icies still have cg/combos, lots of chars have moves that if spaced correctly/a correct % make ppl trip, which is sort of a combo since you can immediately follow up... mario/luigi have legit combos, so yeah, i duno. its certainly not as thorough as melee, but there are some combos ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom