• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No, 'opinions' are what people with bad taste call their preferences.
So...

...an opinion!

Hey! How about that?

Y'know, guys, I could do this all night. It's still an opinion, regardless of whatcha think.

...though I'm starting to fall on the opposite side of the fence, if you know what I mean. The more I play Brawl, the more I realize that it's pretty **** shallow. These newfound "ATs" in Brawl can be likened to some really tall guy jumping inside of a small house and smacking his head off of the low-hanging ceiling. Sure, they elevate gameplay somewhat (the jump) but the rest of the game comes crashing down around it (hitting the ceiling).

However, I'm a nice guy. I'm not gonna let the game collect dust on my shelf just yet. I'm willing to keep trying to do stuff with Brawl until I get tired of it. Maybe I'll go to a tournament here and there for it. Who knows?

All I know that, if all else fails, Melee is still there.

Smooth Criminal

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sakurai was sooooo dumb >_> why did he pass up an opportunity to make everyone happy, make SSBM v2 instead of making nintendo characters go camping?

>_>

I can play brawl for a good 2 hours before I cry of slow paced boredom like skler.

Also like Skler I can play SSBM for like a long time... until my hand hurts .......

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
"op - in - ion
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him."

Nope. Opinions can't be wrong; they can only be different. That is a fact.

Aesir

Smash Master
I can post definitions too.

Wrong:
1 a: an injurious, unfair, or unjust act : action or conduct inflicting harm without due provocation or just cause b: a violation or invasion of the legal rights of another; especially : tort
2: something wrong, immoral, or unethical; especially : principles, practices, or conduct contrary to justice, goodness, equity, or law
3: the state, position, or fact of being or doing wrong: as a: the state of being mistaken or incorrect b: the state of being guilty

3a. applies to what I'm speaking about.

Look at the your definition.
2 A personal view attitude or appraisal

A personal view can be wrong, if I were to say it was my personal view that the earth is flat by your logic I can't be wrong.

Which isn't the case here as we know the earth isn't flat.

Opinion is not something that requires fact just personal verification.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
You don't see the gaping hole in your logic? Really? ...alright. I'll be the nice guy and point it out for you so you don't look too bad in the future.

The Earth being round or flat is a scientifically testable and observationally verifiable situation, in which case scientific testing (space excursions) and verified observations (pictures from space) have proven factually that the Earth is indeed round; if you think the Earth is flat, you aren't wrong because of anything having to do with fact/opinion... you're wrong because your supposition directly contradicts factual evidence.

Now, I'd like you to factually verify, numerically or scientifically, which is more fun: Melee or Brawl. If you can do it, then it is a matter of fact, and I can indeed be wrong. If you can't... then you need to stop being so self centered and realize that its okay that people don't completely agree with your opinion.

Alukard

Smash Hero
I can post definitions too.

Wrong:
1 a: an injurious, unfair, or unjust act : action or conduct inflicting harm without due provocation or just cause b: a violation or invasion of the legal rights of another; especially : tort
2: something wrong, immoral, or unethical; especially : principles, practices, or conduct contrary to justice, goodness, equity, or law
3: the state, position, or fact of being or doing wrong: as a: the state of being mistaken or incorrect b: the state of being guilty

3a. applies to what I'm speaking about.

Look at the your definition.

A personal view can be wrong, if I were to say it was my personal view that the earth is flat by your logic I can't be wrong.

Which isn't the case here as we know the earth isn't flat.

Opinion is not something that requires fact just personal verification.
LMFAOOOO ... i love you for this ... i dunno but its just too good when people get pooped on like this lmfaooo ... i could read things like this forever lmfaooo

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
^-- Man, I'm getting too tired for this. :laugh:

LMFAOOOO ... i love you for this ... i dunno but its just too good when people get pooped on like this lmfaooo ... i could read things like this forever lmfaooo
You obviously were typing while I posted, so you can go to the bottom of the last page and read on why what you quoted is a *******ization of the English language.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
dude what curse word could u have possible written that ends with "ization" that has to be censored? ROFL

Aesir

Smash Master
You don't see the gaping hole in your logic? Really? ...alright. I'll be the nice guy and point it out for you so you don't look too bad in the future.
Please point it out on speaker of truths.

The Earth being round or flat is a scientifically testable and observationally verifiable situation, in which case scientific testing (space excursions) and verified observations (pictures from space) have proven factually that the Earth is indeed round; if you think the Earth is flat, you aren't wrong because of anything having to do with fact/opinion... you're wrong because your supposition directly contradicts factual evidence.

Now, I'd like you to factually verify, numerically or scientifically, which is more fun: Melee or Brawl. If you can do it, then it is a matter of fact, and I can indeed be wrong. If you can't... then you need to stop being so self centered and realize that its okay that people don't completely agree with your opinion.
This is where you make a really big mistake my friend, I'm saying opinions can be wrong, when did I say yours was wrong? I don't think I did. Especially since I've said countless times in this very thread fun is subjective.

Once again you loose, I was merely pointing out the flaw in saying an opinion can't be wrong because it most certainly can.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I have found that, in my experience, the only time anyone ever says an opinion can be wrong is when there are people around him disagreeing with his. Neither this nor the fact that you weren't disagreeing with my particular opinion changes the fact that, by its very definition, an opinion cannot be wrong.

Opinion does not equal misconception. Again, one can never be based in factual proof, while the other is a misinterpretation/ignorance of factual evidence.

Aesir

Smash Master
I have found that, in my experience, the only time anyone ever says an opinion can be wrong is when there are people around him disagreeing with his. Neither this nor the fact that you weren't disagreeing with my particular opinion changes the fact that, by its very definition, an opinion cannot be wrong.

Opinion does not equal misconception. Again, one can never be based in factual proof, while the other is a misinterpretation/ignorance of factual evidence.
Again this is where you're wrong an opinion can be wrong as it's a personal belief. When you deal with personal beliefs they will often times be wrong.

Let me lay it down.

Opinions CAN wrong. It does not mean they will be wrong, it's that they can be. It all depends on what the opinion is based around.

If it's based around a subjectiveness then the opinion can't be wrong. However if it's based around something that isn't subjective it can be wrong.

Heres a more not so obvious example;

It's the opinion of many people that the pyramids were built or helped built by Aliens. This is a fine example of an opinion being wrong as it's formed something that isn't subjective.

No matter what type of word tricks you wanna play, this is an opinion by your definition you provided.

Personal View.

It's a personal view of a select view that the pyramids were built by aliens.

How is this not an opinion?

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Again this is where you're wrong an opinion can be wrong as it's a personal belief. When you deal with personal beliefs they will often times be wrong.

Let me lay it down.

Opinions CAN wrong. It does not mean they will be wrong, it's that they can be. It all depends on what the opinion is based around.

If it's based around a subjectiveness then the opinion can't be wrong. However if it's based around something that isn't subjective it can be wrong.

Heres a more not so obvious example;

It's the opinion of many people that the pyramids were built or helped built by Aliens. This is a fine example of an opinion being wrong as it's formed something that isn't subjective.

No matter what type of word tricks you wanna play, this is an opinion by your definition you provided.

Personal View.

As far as being on topic goes... is some one thinking Brawl is better than Melee or visa versa being called wrong for stating an opinion?

Aesir

Smash Master
As far as being on topic goes... is some one thinking Brawl is better than Melee or visa versa being called wrong for stating an opinion?
Thats subjective so any opinion formed around it is likely not going to be wrong, unless you can make an argument that says it isn't

even if you did the argument would fall to the wayside by just one simple word.

Fun.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

Because we've scientifically tested and proved that the Pyramids were built by the Egyptians (if those are the pyramids you're talking about; there are a lot :laugh:). Simple.

Aesir

Smash Master
Because we've scientifically tested and proved that the Pyramids were built by the Egyptians (if those are the pyramids you're talking about; there are a lot :laugh:). Simple.
It's an opinion being proven wrong. >_>

Opinions can be wrong.

(this just reminded me I'm in a debate on another forum about the moonlanding hoax..>_> better go look at the bull**** being spoon fed to me in that thread.)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
No, Marty McFly seeing himself at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance is a paradox. That ( --^ ) just makes my head hurt. :laugh:

Cort

Apple Head
Brawl is a fun game

but again, it can be played at virtually any level just like Melee

and in the competitive level, it's shallow, slow paced and fairly boring not to mention tiers still highly effect competitive play as there are still broken characters with broken tactics (..and still at this slow paced, dumbed down level >_<)

People that say Brawl > Melee need to read the first post or realize that it's coming from the perspective of a competitive player, not someone that is going to casually play, waste 50 dollars on this game and then have it collect dust on their shelves a few weeks after purchasing, which 99% of you people who, after attending their first tournament and getting righteously destroyed, will do.

I still enjoy the game a fair amount, but in comparison... it's a joke to compare to Melee.

Sakurai (who is just a fun loving scrub) didn't intend this game to be competitive, and Brawl's engine clearly shows it.

gsarany

Smash Cadet
My friends and I had waited patiently counting down the days brawl would hit the stores. Im sure i wasnt the only one thinking this, everyone on these threads couldnt wait but when brawl got released and I bought my copy I wasnt really intrigued by it. It felt like I was playing melee on slow motion. It had a story line and challenges is but after completing the story mode, getting the characters i just wasnt intrigued by it. It was a slower version of melee with extra characters. Even some of the characters seemed like they had no effort of change. I was extremely disapointed with ganondorf still having the same moves, no sword or magic. Toon Link completely the same as adult link except hes faster and his down A spikes. When they delayed the game twice I thought oh ok there gonna make the game better. In the end nothing changed and the online play is horrible. Nintendo had a golden chance to do something different with a popular franchise and it seems to me they didnt deliver to its fullest potential

When Brawl came out I had planned to fight alot of people online and get really good so i could fight stronger opponents. I add friends and I end up winning sometimes but the way I win is a match with no lag but sometimes when I win lag seems to be the factor. How can zU be competitive online when sometimes like Lag effects the outcome of the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom