• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a fun game

but again, it can be played at virtually any level just like Melee

and in the competitive level, it's shallow, slow paced and fairly boring not to mention tiers still highly effect competitive play as there are still broken characters with broken tactics (..and still at this slow paced, dumbed down level >_<)

People that say Brawl > Melee need to read the first post or realize that it's coming from the perspective of a competitive player, not someone that is going to casually play, waste 50 dollars on this game and then have it collect dust on their shelves a few weeks after purchasing, which 99% of you people who, after attending their first tournament and getting righteously destroyed, will do.

I still enjoy the game a fair amount, but in comparison... it's a joke to compare to Melee.

Sakurai (who is just a fun loving scrub) didn't intend this game to be competitive, and Brawl's engine clearly shows it.
Sakurai hates competitive players & Newton!

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Brawl is a fun game

but again, it can be played at virtually any level just like Melee

and in the competitive level, it's shallow, slow paced and fairly boring not to mention tiers still highly effect competitive play as there are still broken characters with broken tactics (..and still at this slow paced, dumbed down level >_<)

People that say Brawl > Melee need to read the first post or realize that it's coming from the perspective of a competitive player, not someone that is going to casually play, waste 50 dollars on this game and then have it collect dust on their shelves a few weeks after purchasing, which 99% of you people who, after attending their first tournament and getting righteously destroyed, will do.

I still enjoy the game a fair amount, but in comparison... it's a joke to compare to Melee.

Sakurai (who is just a fun loving scrub) didn't intend this game to be competitive, and Brawl's engine clearly shows it.
Your avatar gets me hot and bothered.

Nightmare Anubis

Smash Rookie
i think this entire thing is dumb. scar, you keep saying that your point isnt to make people play melee, but you dont realise that's what your doing. Also you keep saying the brawl players aren't making any good points, but whenever someone disagrees with you all you have to say is you are stupid and not worth argueing with, and bam, their point means nothing. I think the real problem here is people can't accept that brawl is easier to play. I like in brawl there are no advanced techs because its just fact - not everyone can play melee. its a hard ****ing game. i think in the brawl scene it will be slightly lesss competetive, but there will be more competition. more people will be able to play and pick up brawl and i like that. Also this game requires much more thought than melee. In melee, the winner was whoever got their combo off on you / whoever didnt mess their combo up. in brawl, you actually ahve to think and plan and camp and play mind-games. Its going to be competetive, and things most likley will be discovered. but for now, just deal with brawl, there are already tournaments and there are winners, plus there is obviously a skill level, because some people dominate at brawl. No one can say brawl isnt competetive, its just slower and easier to physically do. In brawl the smarter person will win, not just the person who sat and memorized a pattern of buttons to 0 to death you. Yes those combos look pretty and apparently take skill to do the same exact thing every time, but what are you really accomplishing? what thought does it require other than ATTACK NOW HES OPEN! also tripping is not a huge problem because it doesnt occur horribly often and can be rolled out of almost instantly. yes its anoying and can make you lose, but its not a game-ruiner. Why dont you spend some of this time you are taking to write about how much u hate brawl and how stupid brawl players are to discover new advanced-techniques, so we can MAKE brawl as good as melee. be helpful, not anti-progressional.

-Anubis <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
" Also this game requires much more thought than melee. In melee, the winner was whoever got their combo off on you / whoever didnt mess their combo up. in brawl, you actually ahve to think and plan and camp and play mind-games"

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a good player INTO one of those combos? Try grabbing someone better than you, you'll fail. Brawl requires MUCH less thought because you have less options at any given time to punish your opponent. The mindgames in melee separated the good from the great. I've pulled off some pretty spectacular combos, but once I try it against a pro, it's near impossible to get them into one of them. This is because they space, mindgame, and avoid incredibly well and doing this in brawl is a hell of a lot easier.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It was an alright first post Anubis, but like most people you make it pretty obvious that you are one of the people who couldn't play melee.

There is A LOT MORE going on in a game of melee than just "LOL COMBOS JOO MORE EYE ARE WIN."

edit: You say Brawl requires more thinking than Melee. This simply is not true. Brawl doesn't require more thinking, it's just that it's slower pace is conducive to more conscious thought. In Melee you couldn't really afford to think, at least not against a good player.

The idea in Melee was to never give a player room to breathe(read: think).

It's true; Melee is more technically demanding, and the game play IS FASTER. This doesn't mean there is less, or no thinking involved, it means you must think FASTER. 0-deaths aren't nearly as common in melee as you make it sound, either, and it's not simple button inputs, because your opponent has control over where your hits send him.

There's a lot more to melee than people who never really played it will ever be able to comprehend, and that's acceptable. However, it's really obnoxious when people who don't really know what they are talking about act as if they do.

So please, if you(general) are one of those people, don't post about Melee.

Brawl may be a lot different from Melee, but it is still a good game. The fact of the matter is that, if you were a predictable little noob in melee you're still going to be a predictable little noob in Brawl. So play on, you noobs will soon be complaining about Brawl and dropping out of the community just as you did with melee.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
"So play on, you noobs will soon be complaining about Brawl and dropping out of the community just as you did with melee."

So true.

Slik, I want a rematch (in brawl). I've gotten WAY better.

Phauxe

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've lurked here awhile, read through the first 1000 posts in this thread before I gave up due to all the circular logic that wasn't getting anybody forward. I thought, if I could bring anything to the table, it would at least be my own experiences with Melee and Brawl, and if all else were to fail at least I got this out there.

I first found out about ATs in 2006, when I was having a party at my house and I was going to hold a melee tournament there. Nothing serious, nobody notable was going to show up (it didn't help that I didn't know the pros at that time either :laugh: ), just me and my friends smashing it out. I thought that if I could utilize the ATs it would be easier to beat my friends. At that time I mained Fox, but I couldn't even shorthop with him in time for the tournament.

Needless to say, I got my *** handed to me because I had no clue what the hell I was doing with any of the techs. I'd **** up wavedashing left and right and SHFFL'ing when you can't shorthop isn't usually the best of plans.

Fast forward a couple years later: I'm about to graduate out of high school, and consequently enter college. I played Melee off and on, but I never had the same drive to play or learn the game during that span of time. I remembered about Smashboards around that time though. I figured I wouldn't have many things better to do (I'm a hardcore gaming addict you see...), and that there would most likely be a smash community up there to play with.

I went to Shippensburg University, not realizing that TheCape and UmbreonMow lived there, nor that Reik was transfering in, and when I first played with the group they had up here I got my *** handed back to me. I hadn't played in awhile, so I didn't care too much about which character I used. Reik recommended Falco due to combos, and since I used to play Fox and I liked the StarFox franchise, I said what the hell.

This was followed by a massive period of learning the basics. I'm still learning how to pretty much do every tech in the game, as I find them interesting and fun to perform. But compared to almost every other game I've played, Melee affected me the most as a game. I had a ton of fun trying to constantly learn new ****, and every time I didn't know how to get better, I'd crest another plateau and the game would continually open up for me. It was an incredible feeling.

That being said, I still lost most of my matches (who am I kidding, I lost all of them :p), I just didn't have enough raw experience. It seems that I was a victim to bad timing, because Brawl was scheduled to come out soon and most people here got tired of playing Melee. As you'd expect it has became really hard for me to get games in with Melee, but I still enjoy practicing moving around and tech. It always feels like the more proficient I become with a skill such as wavedashing, wavelanding, or shrl, the more freedom I had to move about and express myself. It's an incredible experience unlike any other game I have ever played.

When I play Brawl, I main Fox. The people here enjoy Brawl more due to there being more mindgames, but I never seem to see them. I just avoid hits that are broadcasted from a mile away and hit them back. There isn't much forethought, or mindgames in the way I play Brawl and as a result, a game that is supposedly nothing but mindgames has boiled down to nothing for me.

I tried to model my Brawl Fox after the way I had seen Mow play Melee Fox. It doesn't carry over terribly well with the reduced mobility, but even then I dont see many mindgames (something he's notorious for) that are available. The other thing I had a problem with was how I would play people who would normally take 10 stock off of me before I could kill them once, and suddenly I could take off 1-2 stock off of them in a 3 stock game.

Every time I'd bring this up, people would say 'You're good at Brawl', 'It's a different game than Melee', 'You're being too hard on yourself', etc. But I never really feel like I earned what I was doing. It felt like the old jokes about the Gamecube controller from way back, when it had 1 green button on it that said 'win', and that was it. Call me crazy, call me a masochist, but I couldn't stand doing that well in Brawl.

I know my story probably didn't bring anything new to the table, or anything really interesting, but I was wondering if there was anybody out there that shared similar experiences with Melee/Brawl, and if I could get their opinion on the whole thing.

Are there any non-pro players out there that actually prefer Melee to Brawl?

giantimi

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've lurked here awhile, read through the first 1000 posts in this thread before I gave up due to all the circular logic that wasn't getting anybody forward. I thought, if I could bring anything to the table, it would at least be my own experiences with Melee and Brawl, and if all else were to fail at least I got this out there.

I first found out about ATs in 2006, when I was having a party at my house and I was going to hold a melee tournament there. Nothing serious, nobody notable was going to show up (it didn't help that I didn't know the pros at that time either :laugh: ), just me and my friends smashing it out. I thought that if I could utilize the ATs it would be easier to beat my friends. At that time I mained Fox, but I couldn't even shorthop with him in time for the tournament.

Needless to say, I got my *** handed to me because I had no clue what the hell I was doing with any of the techs. I'd **** up wavedashing left and right and SHFFL'ing when you can't shorthop isn't usually the best of plans.

Fast forward a couple years later: I'm about to graduate out of high school, and consequently enter college. I played Melee off and on, but I never had the same drive to play or learn the game during that span of time. I remembered about Smashboards around that time though. I figured I wouldn't have many things better to do (I'm a hardcore gaming addict you see...), and that there would most likely be a smash community up there to play with.

I went to Shippensburg University, not realizing that TheCape and UmbreonMow lived there, nor that Reik was transfering in, and when I first played with the group they had up here I got my *** handed back to me. I hadn't played in awhile, so I didn't care too much about which character I used. Reik recommended Falco due to combos, and since I used to play Fox and I liked the StarFox franchise, I said what the hell.

This was followed by a massive period of learning the basics. I'm still learning how to pretty much do every tech in the game, as I find them interesting and fun to perform. But compared to almost every other game I've played, Melee affected me the most as a game. I had a ton of fun trying to constantly learn new ****, and every time I didn't know how to get better, I'd crest another plateau and the game would continually open up for me. It was an incredible feeling.

That being said, I still lost most of my matches (who am I kidding, I lost all of them :p), I just didn't have enough raw experience. It seems that I was a victim to bad timing, because Brawl was scheduled to come out soon and most people here got tired of playing Melee. As you'd expect it has became really hard for me to get games in with Melee, but I still enjoy practicing moving around and tech. It always feels like the more proficient I become with a skill such as wavedashing, wavelanding, or shrl, the more freedom I had to move about and express myself. It's an incredible experience unlike any other game I have ever played.

When I play Brawl, I main Fox. The people here enjoy Brawl more due to there being more mindgames, but I never seem to see them. I just avoid hits that are broadcasted from a mile away and hit them back. There isn't much forethought, or mindgames in the way I play Brawl and as a result, a game that is supposedly nothing but mindgames has boiled down to nothing for me.

I tried to model my Brawl Fox after the way I had seen Mow play Melee Fox. It doesn't carry over terribly well with the reduced mobility, but even then I dont see many mindgames (something he's notorious for) that are available. The other thing I had a problem with was how I would play people who would normally take 10 stock off of me before I could kill them once, and suddenly I could take off 1-2 stock off of them in a 3 stock game.

Every time I'd bring this up, people would say 'You're good at Brawl', 'It's a different game than Melee', 'You're being too hard on yourself', etc. But I never really feel like I earned what I was doing. It felt like the old jokes about the Gamecube controller from way back, when it had 1 green button on it that said 'win', and that was it. Call me crazy, call me a masochist, but I couldn't stand doing that well in Brawl.

I know my story probably didn't bring anything new to the table, or anything really interesting, but I was wondering if there was anybody out there that shared similar experiences with Melee/Brawl, and if I could get their opinion on the whole thing.

Yea, I'm not a pro either, but I also prefer Melee to Brawl. My story is a little different in that I got into Melee September of last year.

I purchased Melee during last summer and had fun playing it casually and whatnot. But then I saw that EvoWorld match between Mew2King and PC Chris and I was like how are they moving so fast. I was awestruck at how much I didn't know about the game. So I eventually found Smashboards and since then I can't get enough of Melee. I love this game. Even when I met other people in my hometown and at school, and got owned, it was still exciting. I guess having the drive to improve and to see how you far you have progressed is a very rewarding experience. I feel that if I play Brawl, I won't get the same experience I had with Melee. I guess Sakurai can't see that improvement is a rewarding experience.

Phauxe

Smash Rookie
Yea, I'm not a pro either, but I also prefer Melee to Brawl. My story is a little different in that I got into Melee September of last year.

I purchased Melee during last summer and had fun playing it casually and whatnot. But then I saw that EvoWorld match between Mew2King and PC Chris and I was like how are they moving so fast. I was awestruck at how much I didn't know about the game. So I eventually found Smashboards and since then I can't get enough of Melee. I love this game. Even when I met other people in my hometown and at school, and got owned, it was still exciting. I guess having the drive to improve and to see how you far you have progressed is a very rewarding experience. I feel that if I play Brawl, I won't get the same experience I had with Melee. I guess Sakurai can't see that improvement is a rewarding experience.
Ah, but don't forget that nothing replaces a good hearty chuckle at the end of a match! Everybody wins!!!

~_~;; Why Sakurai, why t.t;;

Plairnkk

Smash Legend

Very few, because rather than look at it the way you do most newer players simply cling to the fact that they can now come somewhat close to winning whereas they used to get rocked.

They assume that now they are good at the new game rather than the game simply being easier. You did what very few newer players can do by looking at the situation objectively and making a decision.

The newer players "biasism" usually tends to get in the way of the ability to do that.

****ing biasism

D20

Smash Lord

Good post, good attitude, and good game. You win.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Phauxe, I completely feel where you're coming from!

I never got too into the competitive scene until I got to college. I would watch videos and I knew about ATs, but I could never put any of it into practice due to the lack of anyone to play with. All of this changed when I got to Purdue though. I heard about a Melee tournament going on in my dorm's basement, so I thought I would check it out. I get there to find Cunning Kitsune running the thing and Iggy, Kirkq, and NJzfinest playing in it. I got my *** handed to me on a silver platter. I'm telling you, it was bad! NJ actually couldn't stand me for a while because I was so bad at the game.

But I decided I really liked the game and I didn't want to suck. So I continued going to the tournys and placing near last. I figured out how to L cancel and wavedash and I put the techs to good use. After I stopped completely sucking, I started playing with NJ a lot and I learned a ton about how to play the game. Right before Brawl came out, I had advanced to the point where I could take stocks off his Fox, and I was maining Ganon. I posed a real threat to some of his other characters too.

So, Brawl rolls around, and we're all playing it and loving it. I'm maining Snake because Ganon got ****ed over really badly. But I find myself winning against these guys who were owning me in Melee, and it almost feels like a hollow victory. I know they can pull better mindgames than me and have better tech skill than me, but I'm winning matches. Even two stocking sometimes! Perhaps we simply are masochists and we don't like to win. Somehow, my winning over better players makes the game feel cheapened. I'm being handicapped out of some skill that I would have needed to earn to beat them in Melee.

I'm with you. Brawl is fun and all, but at the end of the day, I think I might have been happier still getting my *** beat in Melee.

Chexr

Smash Ace
It's currently reminiscing about the past and how a great period of gaming is lost and probably wont come back. And reminding everyone why brawl sucks.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
This is such an odd thread. I have not seriously delved into the competitive scene. I played 64 when I was younger, and I played the crap out of it. It NEVER got old. There was something timeless about it. Then Melee comes out and I initially gasm'd over the graphics. Then I played it and was impressed. Then one day, I just stopped being impressed. I like playing a competitive game of melee, and I liked losing because it gave me something to strive for, so when I started losing less, I was happy. Then I started hitting a wall because I had neither the time nor the drive to devote myself to a video game. I am not a bad player by any means, but I am not at the pro-level or even close to it. I eventually found myself migrating towards a semi-competitive group of friends, but more often as the meta game progressed, I found myself playing people who just seemed too devoted to the game for me. I love Brawl because while it isn't as competitive as Melee, it is still competitive, and it's fun. I also do not have to devote my time and life to it as it seemed like I personally had to do with Melee. I do not feel like I'm playing Street Fighter when I play Brawl, and that's a good thing, since all that takes is button combo mastery. There still is a skill and a thinking element to it. Nevertheless, my favorite of the Super Smash Brothers will always be 64 for a number of reasons, but I do not deny that the other 2 games are better than it as far as games go. Melee was my least favorite of the games, but it is still one of my favorite games ever. I really don't think we can say one is inherently better than the other, it just depends on which one the gamer likes the best.
Overall, I'd have to say I'm moving on, maybe pausing to play 64 now and then, to Brawl. The majority of the Smash population seems to be, and it is a great game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I feel that if people can enjoy getting their ***** handed to them in melee, that Sakurai should have considered that in making Brawl. Because, as we all may have felt, losing to a pro in melee is an awesome experience, but losing to a button masher in Brawl...

Eggm

Smash Hero
brawl is so boring, lmao

intense melee match ::everyone watches in dead silence waiting for something epic to happen::

intense brawl match:: 3-4 people watch periodically while chatting amongst themselves about random petty things to help pass the time while every once and a while grazing their eyes to the tv to see that each player has chipped away 40% more damage each. -.-
God, the truth in this statement.. its kinda ridiculous lol!

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
That's not exaggerated. At all.

There's no reason to get excited about anything in Brawl, whereas in Melee it was extremely exciting to see the absurd abilities of the competitors.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
button masher? idk about losing to a button masher, maybe a smash attack masher? =x this isn't street fighter, lol :D

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
i think this entire thing is dumb. scar, you keep saying that your point isnt to make people play melee, but you dont realise that's what your doing. Also you keep saying the brawl players aren't making any good points, but whenever someone disagrees with you all you have to say is you are stupid and not worth argueing with, and bam, their point means nothing.
That's because they are continuing to make the aforementioned obsolete, meaningless points. Including you. :(

It's an opinion being proven wrong. >_>

Opinions can be wrong.

(this just reminded me I'm in a debate on another forum about the moonlanding hoax..>_> better go look at the bull**** being spoon fed to me in that thread.)
Yeah, opinions can be wrong due to extremely poor taste.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It's just awful that noobs can do all the things the pros are doing in brawl (or take about 5 minutes to learn them). Where's the fun if everyone can do the techniques so easily? Melee required years of hard work and experience in order to compete at a high level. Brawl seriously takes a few weeks, and then it's just boring. Teams are fun though because you can make up some interesting "combos".

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It's just awful that noobs can do all the things the pros are doing in brawl (or take about 5 minutes to learn them). Where's the fun if everyone can do the techniques so easily? Melee required years of hard work and experience in order to compete at a high level. Brawl seriously takes a few weeks, and then it's just boring. Teams are fun though because you can make up some interesting "combos".
Umm.... I thought it was better for beginners to play this game, not everybody, (well most people anyways), will stick to a game that takes years and years of gameplay to face other people. That means just about everybody can be a challage to a pro now... but that doesn't mean that it's awful, it's... interesting.

But enough about that, have you tried the 3 vs. 1 on the AI's yet? You should, it's a lot more funstrating and funner than the one on Melee, the AI's actally don't walk into your Smash attacks. XD

Scar

#HarveyDent
I took WiseGuy off of the list of stupid people. I really haven't kept up with this thread due to lots of reasons, mostly because I have exhausted my arguments and have already addressed mostly everything that's come up multiple times. I feel really bad about it because it's impossible for people to know what was posted already, these threads get so huge.

Anyways I'll change the title of the thread to something like "Definition of Competititve" so on and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom