• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
lolz well i actually meant creative to help melee stay alive but i guess helping to increase brawl's speed is a good idea aswell... and i've seen many things found out on this site.. there is still much to go but i think we are doing fine :p

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Well everyone is still going on about brawl and stuff, same comments I saw pages and pages back, almost word for word, thata is why I stop coming, a new group comes and argues the same points.

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
You're right.....no longer are characters confined to strategy A or B against character X,Y,Z. Rather ALL characters are confined to strategy D, as in DEFENSIVE CAMPING.

Witty rebuke PLEASE ??
Really?

As an Olimar player, there are many characters that I am forced to play defensive with. But there are many characters that I have to play extreamly aggressive to actually thwart them. And if I do play defensively, there are 31 completely different characters who all play differently. I can't play the same strategy (like an old Melee Fox shine 'strategist' would do) that I would for every player, or hell, every type of player at that matter.

If all players were to defensive camp, then all players would stay at 3 stock all the time amirtie???

BTW, witty rebuke's arn't my thing, despite my EXTREAMLY witty forum identity.

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
Hey! Someone has a brain! Yes, the point of gaming is to have fun. Many people do not have nearly as much fun playing brawl as they do melee, and this is because of all of brawl's blatant downfalls and its shallowness. The reason we care about this topic, and even argue at all, is because currently, brawl is dominating the tournament scene due to the huge influx of new players, and we're genuinely worried that brawl will overtake melee and then die out, killing smash altogether. We're vocal about this because we want melee to survive, and to continue having tournies. We're vocal about this because we need to bring attention to melee in order for it to survive, for it to be represented at tournaments alongside brawl. If the community all goes with brawl, and it dies, we will no longer have a community, and that's the plain fact.
I don't get this. I don't get this one bit.

I might sound ignorant, or stupid, but really, what?

I have an idea guys, let's **** off Call of Duty 4 for Call of Duty 3, even though the basic premace is the same.

Hey guys, let's tell Warcraft 3 to screw off for Warcraft 2, even though the graphics are better, the gameplay in Warcraft 2 was MUCH more strategic then Necro rushing!

A game like Melee will not EVER stand the test of time. Brawl is nearly a major improvement on all of Melee. The only thing that was changed is a couple of characters moves and the physics engine. Other than that, the game is the same. But because people can't use the wave dashing method, or same old tactic they've been executing for the past 7 years, suddenly the newer game is completely inferior to the older.

Maybe i'm differnt though, maybe I'm just tired of seeing the same gameplay, and same characters repeated and rewashed over the past 7 years and is actually ready for a new change of pace, gameplay and new cast of characters.

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
who cares? learn it, love it, or go play melee again? o_o
just another way of playing a game you love.. sheesh so many people have forgotten that although a game is competetive it should be FUN aswell.. if the game is not fun who gives two shiets about how competetive it is.. jeez... the games supposed to unite people so they can have fun together and many people have been doing just the opposite.. hating it and bashing everything it stands for.. i suggest all the bashers take a break from the bashing and reevaluate what playing a game is all about.. sports ae competetive and although players may experience altercations throughout their matches at the end of the day what do they share? the love for the sport or game they are playing... THAT is what is important .
this post makes no sense. do you realize smashboards is here for competitive gamers right? this isnt just any old forum. this community your speaking with is collectively a competitive community therefore the decision of which game we choose as a whole is very important.

A example i can think of is:

your a democrat in a democratic society. suddenly a communist leader is put in charge and hordes of new, dumb immigrants come pouring into your country. the countries condition takes heavy damage environmentally and emotionally. and so you try to rebut and give a reason why the country should go back to the way it was and your new communist leader says:

"who cares? learn it, love it, or go find another country that was like your old one?"

now you tell me how you would feel.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

I have an idea guys, let's **** off Call of Duty 4 for Call of Duty 3, even though the basic premace is the same.

Hey guys, let's tell Warcraft 3 to screw off for Warcraft 2, even though the graphics are better, the gameplay in Warcraft 2 was MUCH more strategic then Necro rushing!

A game like Melee will not EVER stand the test of time. Brawl is nearly a major improvement on all of Melee. The only thing that was changed is a couple of characters moves and the physics engine. Other than that, the game is the same. But because people can't use the wave dashing method, or same old tactic they've been executing for the past 7 years, suddenly the newer game is completely inferior to the older.

Maybe i'm differnt though, maybe I'm just tired of seeing the same gameplay, and same characters repeated and rewashed over the past 7 years and is actually ready for a new change of pace, gameplay and new cast of characters.
Okay, I'm going to be as nice about this as I possibly can.
You really are an ignorant pile of scrub.

Call of Duty 4 was a BLATANT IMPROVEMENT of CoD3. They did extensive play testing, and they aimed to make the best game ever, with every intent of making it competitive.

Warcraft 3 was a BLATANT IMPROVEMENT of Warcraft 2. They also did play testing and balancing, and expected to have competition.

Sure, each game and its basic ideals are virtually the same, but the way they were done was not at all screwed over. They are nothing like Brawl. Heck, the way CoD4 turned out, I wish Brawl was a shooter game.

Now, Melee HAS stood the test of time. It outlived ITS OWN FRICKEN SYSTEM, AND WAS BASICALLY A LAUNCH TITLE! Melee CREATED THIS COMMUNITY, well, at least the GOOD parts of it anyways. Melee showed the world nintendo was capable of producing games that can be played under the notion of "hardcore", and when you looked at how "hardcore" it got, people would soil themselves.

Brawl was made for the intent of "everyone having fun, whether they win or lose!"
It was not made for competition, and was not made keeping in mind that most of its buyers are not serverely ******** people who can't handle a single loss without flying off the handle.

Brawl is a party game. Are YOU still playing Mario Party 8?
No.
You think Brawl will stand the test of time? Tripping begs to differ.
Will BRAWL last more than even 4 years as a mainstream game?
I give it 2.
Lets look at Snake and MK. Looking at these MASSIVELY good characters, its OBVIOUS that play testing was tossed out the window.
Seriously- why test a party game? No one will take it seriously.

As for your stupid scrub-a-dub-dub little imput on how we hate the game because there isn't wavedashing- STOP SAYING ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO THAT.
IT WAS YEARS BEFORE MELEE HAD WAVEDASHING!
YEARS!

Its not even THAT big a of deal! Wavedashing is MOSTLY for show or mindgames, and sometimes spacing! My GOD! You people WONDER why its so easy to pick out scrubs, when they act like something as trivial as wave dashing is a big deal?
I don't even want to get started on that ******** "waveshine" thing you were talking about with fox before.
Oh, and get this-
THEY FOUND WAVE DASHING IN BRAWL.
But, because the physics engine, Havok, not only OUTDATED AND SUCKS, wavedashing ALSO sucks now, giving you LESS than a SINGLE STEP in distance.

Melee was NEVER the same things over and over, unless you sucked, and all you did was lose over and over.
So you figure, HEY! I'll overlook Brawl's MASSIVE FLAWS as a sequel to one of the most defining games in Nintendo's HISTORY, just because I can stay alive longer and not feel like I totally suck.

Well, I'd hate to break it to you, but Brawl is TONS more boring than melee, and when you play it competitively, it gets even WORSE. As I've mentioned not even 10 posts back, all you see if camping and spamming. It SUCKS. Its BORING.

If you're talking about playing casually, then WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN THIS TOPIC THATS ABOUT COMPETITION?!
Heck, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING ON SWF?!

Honestly, the only thing Brawl has managed to do is poison the watering hole for all the greatest smash minds, making it a place of incoherent scrub babbling about how wavedashing sucks and brawl is the best thing they've ever laid their eyes on.

=_= Sorry if I misguided my anger towards Brawl at you too much and took out your eye.
Honestly though, learn things before you post. Like, REALLY learn, don't ask 4Chan about us, don't ask encyclopedia dramatica, just open your mind, read, and learn.

this post makes no sense. do you realize smashboards is here for competitive gamers right? this isnt just any old forum. this community your speaking with is collectively a competitive community therefore the decision of which game we choose as a whole is very important.

your a democrat in a democratic society. suddenly a communist leader is put in charge and hordes of new, dumb immigrants come pouring into your country. the countries condition takes heavy damage environmentally and emotionally. and so you try to rebut and give a reason why the country should go back to the way it was and your new communist leader says:

"who cares? learn it, love it, or go find another country that was like your old one?"

I love you.

-DD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Hey guys, Windows Me is strictly superior to Windows 98, it had MAJOR improvements in netcode despite some things 98 might've done better!

Hey, building a Magic deck, why bother with a Lightning Bolt when you can have Shock? It's newer and allowed in Type 2, so it MUST be better despite costing the same and dealing one less damage!

Please. The graphics are great, the stages are pretty, and the character selection is pretty nice, but I'm not about to toss away gameplay for gimmicks.

If anything I don't feel creative at all in Brawl; everything I do is just spamming safe attacks until my opponent gets into a vulnerable spot and then I react with the best attack for the situation, which is always the same one.

thumbswayup

Smash Master

You should be shot.

Hey, building a Magic deck, why bother with a Lightning Bolt when you can have Shock? It's newer and allowed in Type 2, so it MUST be better despite costing the same and dealing one less damage!
LMFAO

Also, good **** DD.

Fletch

Smash Master

I really wanted to address this post, but DarkDragoon did that already (and did a much better job than I could have at that). Everything you say is wrong, and I can't help but look at your join date and not believe that you knew what 7 years of Melee was like considering you literally just joined this month.

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
I really wanted to address this post, but DarkDragoon did that already (and did a much better job than I could have at that). Everything you say is wrong, and I can't help but look at your join date and not believe that you knew what 7 years of Melee was like considering you literally just joined this month.
Because join date means everything right?

What I don't understand is why the **** someoen memorizing an xyz combo is suddenly competetive.

Take a Rubix cube for example. I have a couple kids in my school would have 'rubix cube off's. Essentially, they've memorized the algorithim for the Cube and pretty much race each other to who can finish it the fastest. Is that what it's come down to now? Solving something the fastest? Memorizing the fastest?

This is exactly what Melee has become pre-brawl. A game of who can execute combo xyz the fastest. No discerning or rational, just shear 'I can input this combo the quickest'.

Go look at any two Fox characters in two differnt melee videos. You'll see them doing the EXACT same combination method to the enemy player. Sure, there may be some small, noticable differences, but nothing that really makes me go 'Wow! This is fresh and exciting!' just 'Yup. Seen this before.'

At least in Brawl (partially because it is still new), I can see a character like Olimar be played completely defensively, completely offensively, or more of a balanced (usually resulting in a high usage of aerial moves) playstyle. And I would actually enjoy watching these videos.

If inputing the same generic code for all 3-4 of Melee's metagame characters (did anyone REALLY play as the other characters in high-end tourneys?) is truely your definition of competition(and one that has been played for 4 years over by now). Than I congratulate you for taking chalace in nothing new or fresh.

arrowhead

Smash Ace

What I don't understand is why the **** someoen memorizing an xyz combo is suddenly competetive.

Take a Rubix cube for example. I have a couple kids in my school would have 'rubix cube off's. Essentially, they've memorized the algorithim for the Cube and pretty much race each other to who can finish it the fastest. Is that what it's come down to now? Solving something the fastest? Memorizing the fastest?

This is exactly what Melee has become pre-brawl. A game of who can execute combo xyz the fastest. No discerning or rational, just shear 'I can input this combo the quickest'.

Go look at any two Fox characters in two differnt melee videos. You'll see them doing the EXACT same combination method to the enemy player. Sure, there may be some small, noticable differences, but nothing that really makes me go 'Wow! This is fresh and exciting!' just 'Yup. Seen this before.'

At least in Brawl (partially because it is still new), I can see a character like Olimar be played completely defensively, completely offensively, or more of a balanced (usually resulting in a high usage of aerial moves) playstyle. And I would actually enjoy watching these videos.

If inputing the same generic code for all 3-4 of Melee's metagame characters (did anyone REALLY play as the other characters in high-end tourneys?) is truely your definition of competition(and one that has been played for 4 years over by now). Than I congratulate you for taking chalace in nothing new or fresh.
wow. way to sound like a complete idiot

FeArTeHsMaSh

Smash Cadet

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you the cancer that is killing SWF.

Here are common symptoms:

1. Join date sometime after Brawl was released.
2. Claims stating that newer always = better.
3. Claims every AT in Melee was a "glitch" that pros "abused"
4. Stereotypes Melee as "Fox only, no items, FD"
5. Posts the same **** as Mr.RandomBrawler from two pages back in every thread.

Treatment can only be applied by lurking more. Unfortunatly, in most cases, the cancer is at terminal stages, and continues to spread throughout well argued threads such as this one.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

In this case, yes, we will assume that join date does mean everything...

...considering that your little tirade is little more than fanboyism and not a coherent argument.

Please do not make baseless assumptions about Melee's high-end metagame. There is plenty of diversity to go around, and it's not just between four characters in a tier list. Innately speaking, Melee's physics and gameplay mechanics are ridiculously deep. There's just so many more options available to you---wavedashing for spacing, SHFFLing for super-fast and lagless aerials, the many intrinsic character-specific ATs/strategies that each character has, and God knows everything else in between. What is there in Brawl? Sure as hell can't pull off a rushdown anymore---God forbid, the lack of hitstun completely negates any useful offense that you may have (Combos? In Brawl? LOL). It also doesn't help that you can powershield at the drop of a hat now, too, and that also good projectiles are infinitely better than your average attack.

Oh, and you honestly believe that Melee is littered with dial-a-combos? You're full of ****. There's things that we like to call "DI," "proper spacing," and "oh, **** I fubared so I'm gonna get nailed with a combo for my mistake unlike in Brawl where I can get punished for hitting my opponent with a sex kick." Those three things are key to remember in Melee (especially the first two, which is something that you should strive for. The third is not something you want happening to you. That was a ****ing mouthful). And, on a related note, do not discredit rote and memorization from a player's skillset. As limited as it may be, memorizing buttons "xyz" is actually crucial even in Brawl---even if it is "R for shield, forward and A for the killing tilt." (<--- I made a Snake funny!)

So please, play Melee competitively for about a year and then try to discredit us. And no, watching Youtube videos does not count.

Smooth Criminal

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

Rubiks Cube: Who can solve the fastest
Brawl: Who can Camp the hardest
Melee: Who can play the smartest

Im gonna go ahead and chose the third one, yeah.

If your honestly dumb enough to believe that Melee was nothing but your average dial a combo fighting game not only do you obviously know nothing about Melee but you don't know anything about Smash period. There are no "XYZ" Combo's in Melee, there are combo's you work for, you have to set up for and that can be stopped by the player being comboed with smart DI/Smash DI and teching. Certain characters did have combos that would ALWAYS work, like Falcons Dthrow->Knee on Luigi at EXACT percents, but outside of Marths PERFECT chaingrab on the Spacies(which even then isn't guarenteed) there was no "XYZ, your dead lol" combo.....unless, you know, you're playing the IC's but thats still true in Brawl so meh.

And the fact that YOU can't tell the difference between two good fox players doesn't mean WE can't. Unless you've ever actually PLAYED a high level Fox player, certain things can never be understood just by watching.

And in brawl, there is no Balance, there isn't even "XYZ" combo's, theres just X. X is camping. If you don't know the Value of X you fail.

And that last part, about People not using anything but "3 or 4" characters in high end tournaments, at UCLA V there were three Kirby Players(Myself, Dodger, Warp $tar Warrior) 4 Gannon users, 8 Jigglypuff users, Gimpyfish(I don't have to say it do I?) 4 Samus'(All of which I played, I WANT A REMATCH HUGS) two Luigi's that I know of, but I've heard there were more, 4 Docs, a Y. Link, 3 IC's(None of which I got the chance to play v.v) a **** ton of Falcons(Everyone, ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE in Cali uses Falcon) I saw two Nesses, a single Pikachu, No Roys(lol, roy sucks) a Mario(NOT Eggz) And a Link. And those are just the ones I saw/played. Thats a whole lot of people NOT using Fox, Falco and Marth isn't it?

D20

Smash Lord

Yes, people do use other characters in "high-end" tournaments... me being one of them.

Also, does Brawl honestly make you go "Wow! This is fresh and exciting!"? Fresh... maybe. Exciting... no way.

In Melee, I'd love to see you drillshine or shine to bair with Fox. I'd love to see you short hop double fair with Marth. I'd love to see you infinite ledge stall with Sheik. I'd love to see you triple knee someone with Captain Falcon. I'd love to see you triple missle cancel with Samus...

Then I'd love to see you do it in the heat of a tournament match against Drephen or Azen.

If you could, you'd realize why Brawl belongs in a Geico commercial.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
i can never stop watching that combo vid.

btw my combo vid is probably gonna take a year's worth of time to complete, due to my awesome scrubness.

Sariku

Smash Master
Because I hope to get on Scar's good side, I will make a post I never thought I'd make. I only read Scar's post and no others, so I hope I don't continually restate the obvious.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. Melee are completely different games competitively, but extremely similar casually. Any casual player will call it the same as before, but with better graphics, more characters, and a better selection of stages. On the other hand, a competitive (I refuse to use the word hardcore.) player will notice much more. This includes things like physics and hit stun.

This debate is a very knowledgeable one, but, unfortunately, all it attracts is flame between the two sides. I swear this feels like the Ridley days. Brawl and Melee, while similar, are different games, as stated before. You can like either game, or both games. Brawl is floatier, and easier to play than Melee. These can be counted as facts, as they can be proven. Everything else that is stated about the game is an opinion, and therefor holds no real reason to critique or claim as the truth.

People who flame others over either side of the argument are complete morons. I will hold no sentiment over saying that, because it is a very true fact. You can like either game, but it doesn't make one better than the other. Nor does it give reason to argue over the better. It is all opinion, so I say this thread means to nothing about it. I agree with Scar, no sensible player is nagging or flaming. They have a right to complain, anyone does. But when it gets to the point you are calling it truth, you might as well give up. It will only cause hate among the boards.

Competitive means, solely, a game that can have a winner and a loser. Using this any game can become competitive, but most "competitive" players can say it is different, as I do. A competitive player is one who strives to take the game to a new level and experience new challenges, to prove his skill. One who doesn't complain about what he can't change, but faces it head on with a new goal.

I hope Scar sees this post, and I hope I didn't restate the obvious too much.

PS- I'm not a Narutard >.>

Corigames

Smash Hero
who cares? learn it, love it, or go play melee again? o_o
just another way of playing a game you love.. sheesh so many people have forgotten that although a game is competetive it should be FUN aswell.. if the game is not fun who gives two shiets about how competetive it is.. jeez... the games supposed to unite people so they can have fun together and many people have been doing just the opposite.. hating it and bashing everything it stands for.. i suggest all the bashers take a break from the bashing and reevaluate what playing a game is all about.. sports ae competetive and although players may experience altercations throughout their matches at the end of the day what do they share? the love for the sport or game they are playing... THAT is what is important .
THE MOST FUN I EVER EVER EVER HAD WITH MELEE WAS DURING COMPETITIVE PLAY AT TOURNAMENTS.

Don't belittle my favorite memories of melee because you can't enjoy getting better at a game that requires TRUE skill. I had fun getting my *** kicked by people better than me and also thwomping people wose than me. Don't dare say that I lost sight of the fun in games because I play competitively, because I still do and probably more than any casual on pokefloats with w bob-omb!

So then comes along Brawl and look what it has done. It has cheapened the Smash experience, and for what? To appeal to the masses? BS! I would take melee 2.0 over every new person who didn't play melee v1! Screw 'em all I say.

Get back to me when you aren't a n00b and we'll see where you stand.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon clearly made up the heart and soul of the Smash Bros series. Any coincidence that when he sucks, the game itself also sucks? I think not.

Awesomasaur

Smash Rookie
Honestly, the only thing Brawl has managed to do is poison the watering hole for all the greatest smash minds, making it a place of incoherent scrub babbling about how wavedashing sucks and brawl is the best thing they've ever laid their eyes on.
Hahahahaha this is the best thing I've read all day.

D20 said:
If you could, you'd realize why Brawl belongs in a Geico commercial.
what

I love the nerdrage in this topic. Can't we all just enjoy our respective cartoon mascot party games and leave each other alone?

Poison the watering hole for all the greatest smash minds... HAHAHAHA!

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It enforces our preconceived notion that you have no idea what you're talking about, which you've continued to prove in every post you make.

Youtube "silent wolf fox eggz". Watch them play fox dittos. If you come back here telling us they're doing the same **** as every other fox, then you are indeed hopeless and a very malignant cancer to this community.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
THE MOST FUN I EVER EVER EVER HAD WITH MELEE WAS DURING COMPETITIVE PLAY AT TOURNAMENTS.

Don't belittle my favorite memories of melee because you can't enjoy getting better at a game that requires TRUE skill. I had fun getting my *** kicked by people better than me and also thwomping people wose than me. Don't dare say that I lost sight of the fun in games because I play competitively, because I still do and probably more than any casual on pokefloats with w bob-omb!

So then comes along Brawl and look what it has done. It has cheapened the Smash experience, and for what? To appeal to the masses? BS! I would take melee 2.0 over every new person who didn't play melee v1! Screw 'em all I say.

Get back to me when you aren't a n00b and we'll see where you stand.
wow your an idiot dude you totally missed what i was getting at -__- illiterate flamer.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice

blehh im not home and this is too long from the first sentence i suggest you reread and comprehend what i said

Aesir

Smash Master
I've played both pc chris, and M2ks fox's in marth vs fox, and I can say they both play so different it's crazy lol.

Hell it works for all characters really...>_> Look it corts marth and m2ks marth, they're nothing a like.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
cartoon mascot party games
You can call brawl a party game if you want, but melee isn't even close. Melee is among the most technical fighting games ever made! Melee is definatly a fighting game in every way, and one of the most strategic too, which is what that other guy meant by ''greatest smash minds''

because like it or not, theres a lot of strategy when it comes to being the best player in smash, a whole lot more than just knowing how to do x and y techniques, the best smash players are masters of prediction and creativity

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
blehh im not home and this is too long from the first sentence i suggest you reread and comprehend what i said
In all honestly, comprehending your posts is like trying to figure out if a stick figure doodle is male or female.

If people have fun from a game being competitive, wouldn't it matter if the game is competitive or not?

Scar

#HarveyDent
the best smash players are masters of prediction and creativity
Creativity is a big deal for me in Melee, and should be for everyone else. I really haven't seen any Brawl players actually be creative in-game, it's mostly just sticking to the optimum strategy, spacing well, and prediction. Melee will always allow for players to be more creative with their combos, movement, evasion, so on and so forth.

This is just one of the ways that Brawl keeps players from shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom