• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Kira-

Smash Champion
cause it's a dumb stage

notice how the game is played differently on that stage than any other stage

brinstar is equally dumb

so was mute city, so was corneria, so was onett and MKII and termina bay and green greens and jungle japes and poke floats

i dont get how stages like onett and termina and green greens and floats were ever allowed in the first place

GSUB

Smash Lord
I like it too,
but why not throw in current counter-picks in there, because if both players agree, or don't strike it, what's the problem?

The more stages available, the more neutral the first match will be between the two players (as long as the only neutrals aren't favoring floaty or non-floaty) Like, if you add mute city, you should also throw in green greens (both equally gay, if the players have a problem, they'll just strike it. brinstar with corneria [or rainbow], etc.)

the only problem i see with this as of now is how annoying it will be to strike this many stages in the first round. But I think the first round is important enough, and worth it.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
IMO:

No such thing as neutrals, first game stage strike from all available stages. Which happen to be the ones Atlus suggested:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Dream Land 64
-Pokemon Stadium
-Yoshi's Story
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Fountain of Dreams

then normal cp/ban rules apply.

Also (starting from Pound 4), modified DSR is in effect, meaning only the most recent stage you won on is not allowed (unless the opponent is kind and lets you go back). In a 3/5 set, you're allowed to go back to the 1st stage you won on (but not the 2nd).
wait so.. first stage is struck from this list, and then from then on CPs are picked from this list also? (+modified DSR)

Kira-

Smash Champion
yeah charles you got it

I like it too,
but why not throw in current counter-picks in there, because if both players agree, or don't strike it, what's the problem?

The more stages available, the more neutral the first match will be between the two players (as long as the only neutrals aren't favoring floaty or non-floaty) Like, if you add mute city, you should also throw in green greens (both equally gay, if the players have a problem, they'll just strike it. brinstar with corneria [or rainbow], etc.)

the only problem i see with this as of now is how annoying it will be to strike this many stages in the first round. But I think the first round is important enough, and worth it.
cause then people can counterpick mute city? then again, we have that problem of gay counterpicks and nothing is solved. for example, the peach player bans green greens but gets taken to corneria anyway, the fox player bans mute but gets taken to brinstar anyway. all of those stages are imbalanced and shouldn't be played competitively. the aim is not to limit the amount of stages, the aim is to play on the most fair stages that don't have random deaths and ******** boundaries or broken areas

GSUB

Smash Lord
Makes sense.
Unless those stages were only available on the first round... But they'd PROBABLY get striked anyway.

I'm for Stage-Striking the entire melee stage list on first round, and then pound4 stages only as counterpicks afterwards :laugh:

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'm kinda curious as to why, when trying to fix the stage list, brinstar and rainbow cruise got left in

did the mbr just not have the heart to get rid of alll the "fun" stages

granted they are probalby the most balanced out of the "bad" stages but still, food for thought

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
i'm thinking about putting in 2 more stages. Either in addition to Kira's list or available for counter pick, if for no other reason simply because having 5 available stages in a best 3 of 5 is kind of silly. So if we were to do that it'd be 2 of these stages

Mute City
Brinstar
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Pokefloats
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Obviously if two more stages were implemented it wouldn't be Mute City and Brinstar, or Corneria and Green Greens because of characters like Peach and Fox. So to break it down this would be the process

1st match: Stage Strike between the 7 stages Kira listed
2nd match: Each player bans one stage from the 9 (7+2) available stages, loser picks stage
Matches 3-5 (if necessary): The losing player of the most recent match can't counterpick the stage they last won on. This does NOT mean they can't go back to any of the stages they won on, just not the one they won on most recently.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm contemplating being an idiot and supporting Green Greens + Jungle Japes. It's been too long since I've been traumatized by those stages.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think corneria and brinstar are the fairest out of that list

rainbow and mute city would be the 2nd fairest

poke floats is the 3rd fairest

and idk why TOs ever put japes and green greens on, that ****s ********

MacD

Banned via Administration
corneria is more neutral then cruise?

more neutral cause the stage doesn't move around? or more neutral cause you as a fox player like it more?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
more neutral because i wont get ****** between brinstar and rainbow cruise, but i might go with brinstar and cruise anyways... definitely leaning with corneria and brinstar from personal bias though.

@ lovage, because they're both really really funny

Kira-

Smash Champion
I always thought cruise and brinstar were the next most neutral

and in that case it should just be pound 4 rules -_-

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
yeah... we'll go with kira's list. i wanna see if it work out well with the modified DSR
soooo we're going with this list:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Dream Land 64
-Pokemon Stadium
-Yoshi's Story
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Fountain of Dreams

then normal cp/ban rules apply.

Also (starting from Pound 4), modified DSR is in effect
plus brinstar and cruise?

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think this stage list is unfair to characters like peach and doc. i can ban fd against them and they have to good counterpick stages to fight spacies on.

i think brinstar usually on for a reason

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
oh since FoD isn't on in doubles it'll be replaced by Rainbow Cruise to get an odd number of stages

Lovage - Yeah I guess but Peach still has Dreamland and Doc is well... just kind of lower on the tier list. We'll just give a whirl and see how it plays out. I know people have been advocating to give a conservative stage list a try, so I figure the least the community can do is play it out once to see if it's viable.

Lovage

Smash Hero
it doesn't make much difference to me, as a fox player its gonna make a buncha matchups much eaier

macd can't pick brinstar/mute city/fd, kira cant pick brinstar etc

just saying i think the pound 4 ruleset is perfectly fine
and imo dreamland is one of the best stages to fight peach/doc/mario on as fox. but thats just me

Lovage

Smash Hero
wait wait im a noob. peach isnt good on dreamland? haha
peach being good on dreamland is the same as falco being good on FD

it makes sense when you're new to the game, but when you learn more about peach and falco's weaknesses you realize they're actually usually pretty bad for them

edit: i mostly mean this for the fox vs. peach/falco matchup

Kira-

Smash Champion
peach can never catch fox on dreamland

he can shoot lasers and run on platforms all day and she can never get him if he does it right

especially the top platform, because it takes two jumps for peach to get there and her 2nd jump is really slow. by the time she commits to doing a double jump, fox can jump to either side platform. then when she tries to follow, he runs under her to the other side of the stage. if she goes back down to the floor to try to cut him off, he double jumps back up to the top platform.

this and shooting lasers occasionally gets you the percent lead, which wins you a round after 8 minutes.

Top Bottom