• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
You're poor but you're deciding to spend your hard-earned money on smash tournaments?

I approve.
I would only come for singles probably. Also, it's my mom's money :p.

But yeah, I might come to the triweekly if I have nothing better to do. I haven't been to a Melee tournament in over 2 years.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Jesse venue's always been optional so no worries there at all.

Oh important news, this triweekly is going to be held at the Dogghouse in sixth college. Our request got over ridden by some RA event at the lodge so we're being relocated. I'll post a map soon, but it's pretty close to the original venue.

JDM

Smash Champion
I think for SD tournies people should get free entry(singles) when they bring a setup.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
if anything i'd do free entry for doubles. simply because almost everyone is going to enter singles already but tons of people are sheepish about doing doubles.

the only problem with this is that i don't charge any mandatory venue fee to begin with and taking more money out of the pot would make it really tough to cover the venue and still give out a reasonable pot. I'm just hoping that smashers care enough to bring setups for a successful tourney.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
azn lep how much do you run? do you run barefoot? you ever do high intensity running?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
P - anywhere from 40-60 miles weeks. i don't do a lot of barefoot running unless i'm at the beach, but even then it's for no more than 5 miles or so on a recovery day. Weekly schedule looks something like this

Sun: Long run
Mon: Short run
Tu: Track Workout
Wed: Recovery
Thu: Track Workout
Fri: Up tempo run
Sat: Short run/Day off

works out pretty well regardless of fitness. Just make the long run as far as you can go while keeping your comfortable pace. Short runs should be about half that distance at a harder pace. Then recoveries and up tempo runs should be anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 your long run. Recovery days are done at the same pace as your long days, and on uptempo days take it out at short run pace and finish the latter half at a really uncomfortable pace.

for track workouts i warm up and cooldown with about 1-2 miles before and after each session. Depending on fitness level i'd set a rough total for distance (in meters) for the actual workout part.

ie 4000m (400 x 10, 800 x 5) Obviously the shorter your intervals get the lower your total distance needs to be because of increased intensity. Taking the 4000 example, i'd make it 3200 if you were doing a 200 workout (200 x 16). Ladder workouts help out a lot once fitness starts coming in (200 x 2, 400 x 2, 800 x 2, 400 x 2, 200 x 2). The latter half of these workouts act as the anaerobic and VO2 max efforts. Set a certain amount of breaktime between each interval and stick to it.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
jesus christ you run like a wolf. how do you even find enough time in the day to run that much.

dude my biggest problem is my body won't cooperate. like i run a mile and a half and my lungs are fine, cardiovascular wise i'm not tired, but my legs and back prevent me from running more than anything. ive been working out for a good four months now so i have no idea why my body is still *****ing out on me. advice?

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Just out of curiosity Pat, do you run track and field for UCSD? What events and times?

Also, how many people went to the last triweekly?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
as far as time goes, you really only need around 90 minutes for the long runs and track days, otherwise an hour is usually fine.

P - hmmm after about 6 weeks your legs should be up to speed if you're doing everything properly. If you aren't already i'd try the following:

warm up before stretching, and stretch after every workout
eat foods high in protein after workouts to rebuild

as far as workouts go, since you're fine aerobically and cardiovascularly, i'd try to take some strain off your legs and put more onto your body. Basically slow down the pace and try to run farther/for longer periods of time. It sounds like your legs are building up too much lactase, which usually means you're going too fast. Long, slower runs will help you build a base without pushing your muscles passed that lactic threshold.

Jesse - I used to run cross country and track, but quit because i got injured and the coach was a douche. I was a middle distance runner in track (800 and 1500). Went about 1:55 in the 8 and 3:57 for the 15. I haven't raced in a few years though so i doubt i'd be able to pull those times today.

and i think we had 39 people at the last triweekly but a bunch of people left early

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
**** i knew you ran alot but youre like real life forest gump
im taking your workout advice tho always down to try different routines to hope and see better results

Kira-

Smash Champion
as far as time goes, you really only need around 90 minutes for the long runs and track days, otherwise an hour is usually fine.
O_o

I hate running lol

Also I'm going to this. I'm insanely hyped. I will try to play every person there at least once

Lovage

Smash Hero
i need a new cube the controller ports are broken or something so my almost-broken controller doesn't work with it (but it works with my wii)

Jun.

Smash Lord
It was a used gamecube but the controller that came with it was no different than brand new imo. Not too stiff either. It is a silver though =/

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
iirc the silver ones were built slightly different on the triggers or something like that

Jun.

Smash Lord
to me black controllers feel really "plasticy" and not solid for some reason. Purple controllers seem legit. Whites are too stiff. That's just IMO though wonder if anyone agrees..

still tho the best controller in the world is your own controller lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
Whatever controller you've been using for the longest is the best one

I used to hate silver ones cause they seemed bulkier to me but i've used them for so long (they don't break as easily) that I've gotten used to them now. black ones are the most legit, indigo is definitely the worst

My car has been set, it's JDM, Combofest, Rei, and GSUB. writing this so i dont forget

GSUB

Smash Lord
Hmmm.... That's true for me also.
My black and orange controller has my original silver controller's guts in it,
which I got with the my cube a long time ago!
And that's the one that I feel suuuuuper comfortable using fox with!

EDIT: I call sitting next to Paul if I don't get shotgun! Kid is funny and cool!

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i used the black ones for the longest

i feel those and the silver ones can be molded to your liking pretty fast

my new white one is sorta stiff with the triggers and z but i got use to it

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
friendly reminder, the tournament is going to be held at the Dogghouse [name of the venue] in Sixth College [area of UCSD].

The first page has been updated with a map to get there.

Top Bottom