• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Woohoo. I'm not absolutely last on the Elo ratings. I'm gonna try to attend all of the upcoming weeklies to improve and hopefully get that Elo up. My goal is to make top 25 on the list. That in mind, does anyone know when this season ends? I understand it's like. 4 month sessions or something.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
if it's after 11, sure. I have to work until then, but I'm good for some practice afterwards. were we talking online or were you expecting people to invade your home?

CCCM89

Smash Ace
damn, then I probably won't make it. 11 PM's when I get off work and that's a bit late to drive to someone's house for me. I do want to play you again sometime, though. I fell I've gotten a lot better since my last weekly. I wouldn't be surprised to get to the top ten on thursday.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Just kidding, who wants to practice tonight?
Okay so, it looks like I'll be getting off work early tonight. If you can handle just one person coming over (hopefully there's more and we can make this a party), then I can come over.

Valdens

Smash Ace
No one has come yet. You're welcome whenever
Nevermind, hope no one has come yet - wife isn't keen on having people here tonight haha

Last edited:

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
Slush with the 1,000 likes courtesy of heromystic.
Once again...you're a hero....mystic

Nike.

Smash Hero
Major Announcements:

• Went to Otaku Cafe today. Beros and I will be there later this week to figure out the best or easiest way to record/stream at their venue. I had a talk with the actual owner just to let him know (which he's cool with), but there's more news.
  • The owner has connections and wants to use them for the weeklies. This is where it gets juicy: one of the sponsors is a Nintendo Representative named Dusty. I'm not sure if she was the best buy rep for the smash4 demo, but he knows her through his old job at Gamestop. Austin also confirmed (he works there) and said she's really cool. Anyway, SHE IS INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE WEEKLIES FOR ENDORSEMENTS. This could mean free merchandise for starters but who knows what else is possible. She won't be there 5 days from now but he said that there's a good chance she'll attend a week and a half from now.
  • The owner also has another legit connection. He is an actual friend of KoreanDJ and the organization Team Liquid (they sponsor KDJ). For those unaware, Team Liquid is one the biggest gaming companies that sponsors the best players of competitive games. They are also one of the teams competing in the League of Legends LCS. I **** you guys not, he said that Team Liquid is interested is coming down to Texas in the future to help promote something in gaming (could be anything), but that there's a chance they'd be interested in getting involved with LOS Weeklies. From the way he was talking to me, it sounds like it's more than just a pipe dream.
  • He is also considering adding a bonus prize for the winner of the weeklies. Something there selling in the store, like plushies for example (they have a decent selection).
I was just looking for a venue that has more than 2 outlets and a little more standing room. Like jesus, wtf. WTF?!?!?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

That's already a lot to take in but I have some questions to the community regarding the LOS Final in April:

• Currently, the plan is to pay out the top8 of the final tournament. This will leave 2 players who don't receive any prize money. However, it's been on my mind lately and I'm wondering if this is actually a good idea. So I pose the question: should the final tourney pay out to all 10 players? What do you guys think?
  • I'm trying to schedule the final tourney on Sunday, April 26th. It's the last weekend of April. I'm shooting for Sunday in case there's a tourney somewhere in Texas that players were planning on traveling to. The idea that I have is to let 10 days go between the last weekly and the final tourney. Gives the top10 players time to plan, study, practice, etc. This would be April 16th. for April 23rd (3 days before the final tourney), I was thinking we could have a weekly for all other players, everyone who isn't a top10 seed. What are you guys' thoughts on this? Is it good? Is it stupid to not allow the top players? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's some pretty sick news. Damn.

Also Nike, what if we just host the top 10 during a Thursday weekly? Or even as a side event before the monthlies? I'm also fine with the Sunday plan, but just curious if you'd thought about those two. :applejack:

Also, I'm all for top 10 payout. Maintaining top 10 in this city has already proven to be pretty difficult. :applejack:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I completely forgot to mention that about the top 10 thing but yah, why not have the final top 10 tournament thing just happen at the end of April or beginning, depending when the Monthlies for April August and December will happen.

December needs to be discussed too cause doubt people will go to a tournament on the 24th of December this year. While 31st next week of that month is New years eve.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Paying out top 10 is fine. I think the players that tie like 5th, 7th, and 9th should play it out for the higher placing.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
should the final tourney pay out to all 10 players? What do you guys think?
I suggest working out a deal with otaku cafe(if that's where we're holding this from now on) and give the bottom 2 players a plushie, similar to what the weekly winners will be getting, maybe even something a bit bigger. it would suck to work that hard and get to the final tourney just to get nothing to show for it.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
Whoever wants to play online right now I have a lobby open :b join up

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Welp. I probably won't be attending Smash 4 stuff for a good while now (as if I was attending all that much before, like 1 event lol but every other time other stuff happened,). Otaku Cafe is like over an hour away and my ride just isn't willing to drive me that far. Once I get a job to pay for gas money I will be able to come out there a few times. But until then I'm out of luck.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
damn, almost had your cpt. falcon. I still like that I got both a bull**** footstool AND hit you with a stolen falcon punch. ah, good times... ^_^

EDIT: question, how is my link so far? I've been trying out a lot of characters again and want some feedback.

Last edited:

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
damn, almost had your cpt. falcon. I still like that I got both a bull**** footstool AND hit you with a stolen falcon punch. ah, good times... ^_^

EDIT: question, how is my link so far? I've been trying out a lot of characters again and want some feedback.
Use more projectiles

FlankSinatrot

Smash Rookie
Hello! I moved to San Antonio a couple months ago for Uni and I love Smash, but I'm not very good at it. So I was wondering if y'all could help me out, I want to get into the Smash scene, play hard, make some friends, you know. Any pointers, I noticed y'all have weeklies, are those very beginner friendly? What's up with the scene guys?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hello! I moved to San Antonio a couple months ago for Uni and I love Smash, but I'm not very good at it. So I was wondering if y'all could help me out, I want to get into the Smash scene, play hard, make some friends, you know. Any pointers, I noticed y'all have weeklies, are those very beginner friendly? What's up with the scene guys?
We have a lot of beginners at our weekly, but the tournament itself is usually dominated by stacked players. I would say come over and focus on introducing yourself and get involved with our community. Even if you lose, you will learn a lot and that's the point of our weeklies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We also have the occasional Smashfest here and there. Generally speaking, those are posted up either here in this thread, or in the Facebook group, which is linked on the first post of this thread. :applejack:

Last edited:

FlankSinatrot

Smash Rookie
Awesome! How's the tournament set up? I assume it's an elimination bracket and not swiss? Do you all stream, or are there plans to? I'll see if I can make this week and introduce myself, but I'm not sure, travel is sometimes difficult.

Top Bottom