• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Rivals...Who gets the SSBB spot?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm certain MP3 will release before brawl because MP3 had a playable demo at a game expo some time ago.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'm sorry Sensai, but you just got majority-owned.:laugh:

But yeah, that's what I had always thought. 95% of me says MP3 comes out before Brawl, and everyone I try talking to seems convinced that Brawl is coming out Q3 the earliest, so why is it so unacceptable to conclude that MP3 releases before Brawl? <-Smashboards 101: A Rhetorical Question is one asked solely to produce an effect or make an assertion rather than to elicit a reply.
To further elaborate, since Sakurai's team wants the third installment of Smash Bros. to be perfect, then it could get delayed just as much as Twilight Princess did....or maybe even more than that. Just meditate on this for awhile, don't you think that SSBB will sell way more than MP3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess combined? Yeah, I am getting a hunch that this title will be among the top selling titles of all next generation systems. Yep yep, I'm a prophet.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind if they delayed Brawl a whole year just to add everything they need to make Brawl the best Smash ever created.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Gary/Garv? I can't tell with the underline. I won't be mad if Nintendo uber-delays Brawl under ONE condition: If this will be the last smash game. Sakurai mentions on the Dojo that they are working on the final installment. I hope that isn't true, I was looking forward to a lifetime of Smash. But if it is true, then Brawl must be as perfect as possible.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Amen to that. If this is the last one there should probably be 50+ characters, as well as the ones in previous Smash games. Yes, even if they return as clones.

Sensai

Smash Master
Rhyme said:
I'm sorry Sensai, but you just got majority-owned.
So did Bush. Didn't stop him. :-/ And yes, point(s) taken. I concede.

Is it really going to be the last smash? I hadn't heard of that....ugh.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Don't be silly, of course there will be more Smash Bros after Brawl. Now, Brawl may be the last game in the series that Sakurai works on, since he's leaving Nintendo after this to go do his own thing, which is probably where the confusion started.
I repeat: Maybe the last Smash for Sakurai, but most certainly NOT the last Smash for us.

And personaly, I like clones. I think they're a great way to add more characters and diversity to the roster even after development time has run out.

And I don't believe that Brawl will be delayed past the holiday release for this year. Brawl has a huge development team with some amazingly talented people working on it and a virtualy unlimited budget. It's also a fighting game. All of these factors should help contribute to a low development time.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Maybe the last Smash for Sakurai, but most certainly NOT the last Smash for us.
For our sake, I hope you're right.

~Mr. Iwata speaking with Mr. Sakurai "To be honest, if you aren't involved with it, that will probably mean the end to the Smash Bros. series.
Smash Bros. piles together so many elements from so many games and continues entertaining people without ever growing old. It's your skill, your sense, your thinking that's allowed that to happen. I don't think there's anyone who can replace you.
Creating a Smash Bros. with no soul would be a waste of time."

I would have to search more intently to find where I read the part about it being the last Smash game, but this quote from Sakurai says a lot.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Don't be silly, of course there will be more Smash Bros after Brawl. Now, Brawl may be the last game in the series that Sakurai works on, since he's leaving Nintendo after this to go do his own thing, which is probably where the confusion started.
I repeat: Maybe the last Smash for Sakurai, but most certainly NOT the last Smash for us.

I guess it depends on how much it is sold across the world. If they sell a bundle of copies then I don't think Smash will be going away anytime soon. Nintendo would be fools if they discontinue there best seller. I for one, hope it does not happen.

Sensai

Smash Master
OysterMeister said:
It's also a fighting game.
Fighting games always seemed to me to be the easiest to program, but the hardest to make (as in balancing, etc).

Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
They might continue it but it wouldn't be as good without Sakurai. I think Sakurai will do his own thing and then come back and make another in the future. There will probably be a HUGE gap between the third and fourth just like the gap between the second (Melee) and third (Brawl).

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im thinking the gap will be even bigger kenny, Im sure sakurai wont let go of this great series, he will probably work on other stuff, and after a few years, when the next new nintendo console is here, he'll surprise us with smash 4...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Sakurai will probably stick to his word unless Nintendo shoves a ton of money at him or some one writes him a story about how smash changed their life or something :/.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Fighting games always seemed to me to be the easiest to program, but the hardest to make (as in balancing, etc).

Am I incorrect in thinking this?
Um, maybe? I was refering to the total development time the game would take, not the ease with which it could be made.
It seems to me that the games that always take the longest to make (and get delayed the most) are RPGs and other such Action/Adventure games which incorperate a large game world and a complicated story. Final Fantasy, Zelda, Elder scrolls: Oblivion, Metroid... All these games take longer to develop because 1) writing a good story takes a long time and 2) a complicated world has to be checked over and over again to make sure that it isn't possible for a player to break sequence, or trap themselves so that they have to restart the game, or do certain parts of the story out of order and ruin the narrative. All of this reqires extensive testing and planning. Fighting games like Smash, even with the daunting challange of balancing, are much simpler by comparison and therefore don't take as long to develop.
So hopefully Brawl will be able to release this year.

Sensai

Smash Master
Rhyme said:
Would you have said it if you thought you were wrong?
Good question. And yes, I would've, probably.

Red Exodus said:
Sakurai will probably stick to his word unless Nintendo shoves a ton of money at him or some one writes him a story about how smash changed their life or something :/.
Sakurai-san has HONOR. Money doesn't matter! How dare you!

OysterMeister: Oh.

(comeback FTW!)

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
no ridley dark samus yay!!! thats how i put it...no dragons horses or other wierd animal things to shreck-superslam-y

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wish Metroid was more developed, maybe with a more in-depth story. If I remember correctly, the story in MP2 was hidden in holograms you had to scan, which was a good way to keep the story there without shoving it in your face but they never forced the story at all, which was a mistake.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
They probably hid the storyline in scans to enhance replay value. Shoving the story in your face when you already know it all isn't fun. I would have preferred that it were easier to find all the scanable items, and also that you always got the story in the correct order. I hated when you would walk into a room with 8 computers and 8 parts of a story, but could never scan in chronological order. Geting the solution of the problem before reading the problem was annoying. Not that they should force the story on you, but maybe make it the kind of thing where you could access bits of the story through your information log at your leisure. The information available to you would be dependant on how far you had progressed.

Dark Samus for Brawl

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Fun Fact: I didn't read any scans except the enemies and I still beat the game 100% (though it was no easy task) and I still think it is one of the best games of all time. It had an excellent degree of difficulty, the enemies were plentiful and unique, the challenges were amazing, and it organized all the log information which made me happy since I support organization. The log system was definitely better than the previous one. At the end of the game when I had every thing, that's when I read the log entries.

kaid

Smash Master
Well, all the Pirate data and Chozo/Luminith lore went into your archive, played in chronological order, showing where you were missing info...

In rooms with 8 computers, I just scanned them all without reading, then read my archives.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Still I never read the luminoth/chozo/pirate data, someitmes I did read the pirate data, Cause I was interested in ridleys story, thats it, I know the scanning thing is important, but why not make less items u have to scan, and if the info is important, why not have flashbacks and c the story 1st hand, and no reading them, u can c the flashbacks by selecting the lore in ur archives... just a tought...

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah, the size is the least of ridleys problems getting in brawl, size doesnt matter for ridley, If he has the same size he does in the melee intro, I doubt people will complain...

Stryks

Smash Hero
Meh I always scanned everything I could, too c if it had anything to do with ridley/metroid prime/dark samus, especially the bosses, seeing how I can only sane them once, Ill try to scan everything in MP3, tough Im hoping something like my idea goes in the game (post 665), and thus I would be interested in the main species story in the game (e.x. mp1= chozo/mp2= luminoth)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have to start over [when I get my wii] after I bet the game so I can get 100% completion I have 90 omething % right now.

Sensai

Smash Master
I dislike the scanning thing....kinda. Especially for story-fowarding.

I enjoy my games with stories (just like I enjoy my music with meaning), and to have that story be difficult to find (NOT difficult to understand. That's fine. i.e. I loved FF Tactics) just seems to degrade from a game.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Yeah, the size is the least of ridleys problems getting in brawl, size doesnt matter for ridley, If he has the same size he does in the melee intro, I doubt people will complain...
If he is the same size couldnt you see a bit of unfairness compared to the other sizes.You have to admit thas a lot to animateand haw would he grab ledges efectively.

Stryks

Smash Hero
With his claws maybe?... besides he would have bowser-like size, multiple jumps similair to MK/Pit's and should have a weight similair to DK, somewhere on that line, seeing how hes well u know a dragon-like monster and all...

Stryks

Smash Hero
**** yeah, I mean he had that size in the melee intro, and I for one am a BIG metroid fan, I was actually gonna get MP3 on launch instead of TP... but since it got delayed, I got TP... anyway we need more metroid characters, and ridley is the guy we ALL wanna c... I personally want him, then dark samus, and 2 hunters, but Id be fine with just Ridley...

Top Bottom