• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Rivals...Who gets the SSBB spot?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Im normally on Rhymes side, being buddies and all, but I cant see dark samus BEFORE ridley, even if hes way easier to program than ridley, I mena ridley has been in every game and, like samus and the metroid themselves, hes synonoumous to the series, and has apepared in almost every single game, minus MP2, M2, MPH and pinball but that barely counts...

1st ridley, THEN dark samus, and hopefully after sylux XD
It's OK, I understand. I've just about had it with this thread anyway. It boils down to opinion in the end, and before this thread died, I probably spent a few dozen posts defending Dark Samus against everyone else. (Because the majority of people prefer a dragon over a corrupted fiend.)

What the hell are you talking about...? I never said nothing has been added to Prime or anything...
Well I quoted it, so look back if you don't think you said anything.

You mean apart from the fact that Samus is based off of her Zero mission look, the stage we got isn't in any Metroid Prime, Samus's bombs are the 2-D styled ones and her missiles are Super Metroid based as well? and if you want sources go and look for your self.

This point has actually been argued many, many, many times before in the Ridley thread and it has always been found out that nothing is from Prime.

And you make out as if Ridley is retro when... he isn't. He is nostalgic and he makes appearances in recent Metroid games as well. Not to mention he is the most powerful space pirate that you ever get to see and he is a reoccurring boss and he caused ALL the events in the Metroid series to happen )Find the origin of Samus's hatred for the space pirates) and even if you don't include the fact that Ridley killed Samus's mother in front of her eyes and caused her dad to commit suicide, he still stole the Metroid's and he was still on space frigate orphan (Or whatever its called), and he still over sees most of the space pirate activity.

He may not be the final boss but he is the main antagonist and Samus's arch rival.

~ B.A.D. A.R.S.E.S.. for life ~​

That's a Prime outfit if I ever saw one. Every single Prime game has had Super Missiles, you can't say that a Super Missile was from one game and not another if it was called Super Missile in both. That's what I said, that techs are shared between games, so designating a tech with multiple appearances to any single game just doesn't cut it. Also, I'd prefer to not take one person's interpretation of a debate's conclusion as fact.

I do not say that Ridley is retro. I basically said that his moment in the limelite was back when, and he continues to be important now, just not as important. I've been saying that he isn't retro, so maybe you didn't notice?

Which is important stuff he did when?...not now. I'm concerned with who's important now, who a new generation of gamers will identify with now, and to me, that's Dark Samus. Look, you've got an invested history with your dragon. I joined the series late and I'm building what will be a nice history with Dark Samus. How does this make the two characters different? Just different people...different preferences...

You know what? **** you all. **** everybody who posted in this thread. Yeah, me too. Why did I revive this thread?

IT'S JUST A GAME. If you think someone should be shot because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think some is a ****** because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think someone is a ****ing ******* of a ***** because of a character in a game, shut up. I'm sorry.

*unsubscribes to thread*
Yeah um...listen man, I'm sorry about all this. The debate was good enough left alone. It never worked out anyway.

I've got to do homework. Screw this thread for the remainder of this night.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe you should look back at what you quoted because that's not what I said

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
That's a Prime outfit if I ever saw one. Every single Prime game has had Super Missiles, you can't say that a Super Missile was from one game and not another if it was called Super Missile in both. That's what I said, that techs are shared between games, so designating a tech with multiple appearances to any single game just doesn't cut it. Also, I'd prefer to not take one person's interpretation of a debate's conclusion as fact.
That's the Super Metroid suit you noob cake. Prime wasn't even out yet when Melee was made. Hell, even so, you can still see the differences between the two. Prime is bulkier, has lights, and a different helmet.

Here's the real deal bud:

Melee is after Super Metroid:

Brawl is after Zero Mission:

I do not say that Ridley is retro. I basically said that his moment in the limelite was back when, and he continues to be important now, just not as important. I've been saying that he isn't retro, so maybe you didn't notice?
Which is important stuff he did when?...not now. I'm concerned with who's important now, who a new generation of gamers will identify with now, and to me, that's Dark Samus. Look, you've got an invested history with your dragon. I joined the series late and I'm building what will be a nice history with Dark Samus. How does this make the two characters different? Just different people...different preferences...
*facepalm*

You do realize that Dark Samus is permanently dead, and it hasn't even really had an important role in a sub series that's practically based around it. Dark Samus is basically just, "Rawr, I'm evil. Let's go get phazon and kill stuff in my way." Ridley was and still is the main catalyst of the Metroid series. He's the one who killed Samus' parents and made her who she is. He's the one who leads the Space Pirates and is the brains behind the majority of their plans. He's the one who kidnapped the infant Metroid and led Samus to their base on Zebes. He's the one who led Samus to Tallon IV and caused her to stumble upon the phazon, the Planet's past, and the pirates' plans. Without him, none of it could have happened. Dark Samus can't say the same. She lead Samus around and spread phazon? Woohoo! None of that crap even matters to the series as a whole.

So, nooby boy, go play a real Metroid game and do your homework on the series before you tell me Dark Samus is even remotely worthy of a place in Brawl, let alone a spot over Ridley.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
You mean apart from the fact that Samus is based off of her Zero mission look, the stage we got isn't in any Metroid Prime, Samus's bombs are the 2-D styled ones and her missiles are Super Metroid based as well? and if you want sources go and look for your self.

This point has actually been argued many, many, many times before in the Ridley thread and it has always been found out that nothing is from Prime.

And you make out as if Ridley is retro when... he isn't. He is nostalgic and he makes appearances in recent Metroid games as well. Not to mention he is the most powerful space pirate that you ever get to see and he is a reoccurring boss and he caused ALL the events in the Metroid series to happen )Find the origin of Samus's hatred for the space pirates) and even if you don't include the fact that Ridley killed Samus's mother in front of her eyes and caused her dad to commit suicide, he still stole the Metroid's and he was still on space frigate orphan (Or whatever its called), and he still over sees most of the space pirate activity.

He may not be the final boss but he is the main antagonist and Samus's arch rival.

I really like this point and find this quite logical. I'm suprised people are still debating as whether Ridley or DS would be in brawl. I mean if nothing else told you ridley (Sakurai polls, priority, sakurai's leniance to Zero mission) Norfair should have nailed the coffin. I actually do hope we at least get a Prime stage if nothing else. But at this point I sadly think we'd be more likely to get fusion stage then that which is sad. I'm sure we'll get a song at least.

Anyways on whether samus's suit is ZM or MP doesn't matter as they look very much alike. All it can be used for is proof that Sakuri's leaning to older Metroid games for ideas.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
It's OK, I understand. I've just about had it with this thread anyway. It boils down to opinion in the end, and before this thread died, I probably spent a few dozen posts defending Dark Samus against everyone else. (Because the majority of people prefer a dragon over a corrupted fiend.)
Actually no it doesn't. The fact is that Ridley is more important, he is more popular and he does have a much higher chance than Dark Samus. Now don't get me wrong I would like the idea of another Metroid rep and I like the idea that It could be Dark samus after Ridley but NEVER before him. I mean if anything shouldn't you be listening to the veterans of the series about the game?

1. Prime wasn't even out then... your getting the Varia suit mixed up with the prime suit.
2. Well... mostly anyway. But the point is that they act and look like they do from super Metroid... they don't act or look like they do from Metroid prime.
3. Well if they actually look different between game then you can.
4. Well actually if anything he is as important now than ever. I mean he still appears twice as a boss even when the plot revolves around Dark samus and Phazon... at least this time he had an in game story unlike back in the day when you had to rely on the game manual.

I joined the series in 2002 / 2003 (Whichever one MP1 came out in) and ever since then I became a fan (As a side note only 1 third of the Metroid Prime series is really Metroid... and thats the first one). But now lets not look at who is important the the sub franchise created by people outside of Nintendo that has just ended, but lets look at the entire franchise. Thats what Sakurai always does, and if we are going to look at whats current shouldn't that mean that we would add Tingle instead of Ganondorf, or Bowser jr. instead of Bowser? Yes yes it does.

But seriously: Everything is in favor of Ridley and you cannot deny that he is so much more important than Dark Samus and yet you still argue that he isn't?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Every single Prime game has had Super Missiles
Prime Missiles are made of light or something, Super MEtroid missiles are obese green torpedos, Brawl has the obesse ones. as seen in the Mario V.S Samus video on Gamespot's 7 minute long video.

Ridley is still the more important character besides Samus, Dark Samus was the main antagonist in Prime2 and 3, that's true, but still Ridley was more important since he IS the boss of the pirates.

I joined the series in 2002 / 2003 (Whichever one MP1 came out in) and ever since then I became a fan
That's nothing, i'm a fan since 1994.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
Sure we could have Dark Samus she is after all the bad elements of Samus combined with Metroid Prime the Phazon absorbing Behemoth but why do we need something like that when we could have mainly,Ganon as a Final Smash.We have but one Dragon that doesn't do much.Ridley being the Leader of a Universe threat known as the Space Pirates.He has no merci,he has no rules.He is the supreme being that pulls death and hatered together.He unleashes fatal blast of molten magam,acidic plasma,casm shifting roar.His reign of terror never ends even after death.I mean come on pure evil or well Destruction of what we know to be our home.As stated by all the Ridley fans:Ridley For The Brawl!

Shuma

Smash Hero
There are around 3 roads Sakurai could take:

1 Ridley is a PC, Dark Samus a throphy or an AT.

2 Ridley is a Boss, Dark Samus is a PC

3 Ridley and DS are PC. Awesome!!1lO!l!Ol1ol

demonpanther

Smash Cadet
Gypsy Lee : "You do realize that Dark Samus is permanently dead, and it hasn't even really had an important role in a sub series that's practically based around it. Dark Samus is basically just, "Rawr, I'm evil. Let's go get phazon and kill stuff in my way." Ridley was and still is the main catalyst of the Metroid series. He's the one who killed Samus' parents and made her who she is. He's the one who leads the Space Pirates and is the brains behind the majority of their plans. He's the one who kidnapped the infant Metroid and led Samus to their base on Zebes. He's the one who led Samus to Tallon IV and caused her to stumble upon the phazon, the Planet's past, and the pirates' plans. Without him, none of it could have happened. Dark Samus can't say the same. She lead Samus around and spread phazon? Woohoo! None of that crap even matters to the series as a whole. "

EXACTLY, Dark Samus is nothing without Ridley, He catalysed everything.
I will come back and repost this as many times as i must.

Dark Samus should remain in brawl as she always has been, A BOSS.
Ridley is too important to metroid as a whole to be anything less than playable.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
anyone who is a boss and has the smash fighting style(petey as seen only attacks with arms with his body the backgorund)should also be playable.they made a moveset so why cant the jsut be resized or something to fir the roster?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Dark Samus should remain in brawl as she always has been, A BOSS.
Yeah I TOTALLY missed the game where Ridley was playable...
Im not saying Dark samus > ridley, but sakurai said he wanted to betetr rep the franchise, I say samuz/zamus, ridley and dark samus (or a hunter) wil ldo just fine...

GigaAndy

Smash Rookie
Along with that, the size Ridley is compared to Samus would make him rather large on all stages. Which would be far too dis/advantageous to be balanced. And as far as I'm aware, most characters are scaled correctly.
An assist trophy, a subspace boss, part of a stage yes, but a playable character I doubt. Although again, do we really need Dark Samus? She would be the same as Samus except slightly, maybe slower but more powerful, like Falco was to Fox or Ganondorf was to Cpt. Falcon.
I think the solution would be something in the costumes, if one of Samus' costumes were the model of Dark Samus, with adjusted animations then that would satisfy some (ignoring the problem of Z-suit).

Legolastom

Smash Hero
XD All the characters scaled correctly XD... you know that Kirby is 8 inches tall? and that Bowser has been about 5 times the size of Ridley?, well I guess not.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
Any argument against Ridley you can possibly conceive of has already been addressed in the Ridley for Brawl thread so the answer is: No. Your wrong.

As for Dark Samus, we already have a Dark Link costume for Link so I think it would be appropriate if we had a Dark Samus costume for Samus. Seems logical, instead of creating a clone.

Finally, there are other options for characters in the metroid world other than DS. What about all of Samus's competition?
The other hunters would work quite well in Brawl, would they not?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Meh not really considering they are nothing more than meaningless filler characters that hold no importance to the series at all.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Ridley, and if he doesn't make it in, dark samus, and if she doesn't
sylux...

Also, sylux's ship appears at the end of MP3, so he'll probably be more important
to metroid then the other 5 hunters...

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Ridley. The most iconic character from Metroid series as a whole [Other than Samus] and being in Manga/etc. Didn't hurt him and showed a whole new level.

metaknighter

Smash Apprentice
ridley...hes on sakurais list..he has been in every metroid game except Prime 2 and prime hunters( and if there are others, please remind me)...probubly the most anticipated character right now.

Mike1993

Smash Rookie
I say that Ridley is going to be a boss, just like Petey Piranha. Same goes for Dedede, maybe with K. Rool too.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Why would you say Ridley will be a boss!? and Kanden has about a 2& chance of getting in.

Top Bottom