• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Rivals...Who gets the SSBB spot?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
*sigh*

Ridley is practically confirmed by now with the inclusion of Norfair as a stage. Dark Samus was a clone-esque filler villain from a sub series that no one outside of America likes. The Hunters were just, again, filler characters with no character or real backstory. Basically, they were just thrown in there to give you someone to fight against. Mother Brain is immobile. Kraid is way too big.

Face it people. Ridley is the only character worthy of being playable from the Metroid series next to Samus. If you think that he should be a boss and be replace by Dark Samus or the Hunters, you need to be shot and removed from these boards.
Anyone who says Dark Samus would be a clone, or "clone-esque" as you oh-so-diplomatically phrased it, is essentially advertising their own stupidity. If you're a Metroid fan then you've played through the Prime series, and if you've done that then you should know Dark Samus isn't a clone.

If your only argument against Dark Samus is potential cloning then just leave. I don't even want to discuss with the likes of you. Leave.

Come back once you've got an actual argument to work off of.

I think you need to be shot.
Lol. Somebody had to say it, and despite a total lack of originality, I agree.

I agree wholeheartedly. ***ch.
You're agreeing that Gypsy needs to shut it? That's what I'm assuming.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Wait, it seems i missed the Dark Samus bit, i'll bring the gun.
Haha. Just don't travel with it loaded. Not all of us will use live ammunition, that way we're all shooting to kill. :laugh:

Also, there's not much validity in an argument against Dark Samus; same goes for Ridley. Both characters are equally deserving. Ridley represents the older generation and Dark Samus represents the newer generation. We know that Mr. Sakurai is fond of old-school characters, but Ridley isn't exactly old-school since he's jumped the gap from 2-3 D and from console to new-gen console. Basically, he's no longer retro, which makes this a fair fight.

So if anyone's got an intelligent reason why Dark Samus should be shunned in favor of a certain purple dragon (who unfortunately isn't Spyro) then please let me know, otherwise I'll be leaving well-enough alone.

Later<

Shuma

Smash Hero
Well, Ridley is muc more popular and important, but if Sakurai decided to add 4 metroid reps, or make Ridley a boss, i say Dark sammy is a given.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Ridley doesn't rep retro or new he reps all.

He is retro and his is modern.

He is a pirate and he is a Dragon.

Now saying they have fair ground is your your personal biased towards Dark samus... Dark Samus does have a chance but against Ridley... don't make me laugh.

She would have actually been a more likely choice if Prime was popular in Japan, but... it aint.

Now im not against DS im just saying she doesn't stand a chance against Ridley... and having two villains in an underepped franchise isn't going to happen anytime soon.

*Points at Kirby*... shutup!

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
TO ALL ****IN IDIOTS WHO THINK SOMEONE FROM HUNTERS WILL BE IN BRAWL!!!!!!! >_____>

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU EXPECT THOSE LITTLE UNIMPORTANT IDIOTS TO BE STARRING IN BRAWL??? :mad::mad:

1.Theyve apeared in only ONE GAME carrying a MOST UNIMPORTANT ROLE AND DONT EVEN GET EVEN ABIT IN CONTACT WITH SAMUS EXCEPT THAT WHEN THEY FIGHT!!!

2.THEY ALL DIE MISREBALY BECAUSE THEY SUCK BADLY AND DONT CARRY AN IMPORTANT ROLE!!!!!

RIDLEY has been one of Samus archenemies since the first game of Metroid.
He truly HATES samus and theyve been having a REAAALLY LONG FIGHT!!! Hes been trying to get revenge by killin her after she messed his whole masterplan up.

And anyway Ganondorf and Bowser are all Enemies of the Most important characters Mario,Link and Samus is one of them TOO

Dark Samus is ALSO likley to appear coz shes been holdin a GRUDGE against Samus since he appeared and got kicked away by samus as the HUMONGOUS METROID PRIME !!!

So yeah **** TRACE,WEAVEL,SYLUX or whatever theyre named!!! COT THEY HAVE ONLY ONCE PLAYED A ROLE WHICH WAS PRETTY **** UNIMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
And RIDLEY,DARK SAMUS aka Metroid Prime FTW and they can appear as theyve been BOTH playing a REAAAAAAL BIG ROLE especially Ridley

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
If another Metroid character can make it in, or for some EXTREMELY strange and stupid reason, Ridley somehow does not make it in making hundreds of fans riot (including me) then either Dark Samus or Sylux will be added.

I REALLY hope that Ridley is in...

Okysho

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't think that any other metroid characters should be playable considering the popularity and other various factors (I.E. Ridley is a strict villain and is too big to be playable, [personally I think he'll be a boss]) I don't think that any other characters qualify to be playabot, but if you want to get into other hunters (personally I htink they were a mistake to add to metroid {"SAMUS WORKS ALONE"}) then they might appear as ATs or something more to that effect

Legolastom

Smash Hero
o_O Metroid is much more popular than starfox and some others... and O MY GOD! Please before you go saying someone is to big: 1. Do your research 2. USE YOUR BRAIN!

Caael

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't think that any other metroid characters should be playable considering the popularity and other various factors (I.E. Ridley is a strict villain and is too big to be playable, [personally I think he'll be a boss]) I don't think that any other characters qualify to be playabot, but if you want to get into other hunters (personally I htink they were a mistake to add to metroid {"SAMUS WORKS ALONE"}) then they might appear as ATs or something more to that effect
* Grabs fist flying out*

That's all I have to show you.

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
Im guessing it would be one or two of the hunters featured in MP3 and MPH, because Ridley is to big, and to the guy who used a pic from Mario Sunshine, look at the original Mario Bros, Bowser was never really big, so yeah.
Rundas would be sick has hell, same with Sylux.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Ridley will be in. They delayed the game a whole 2 months JUST for Ridley. He deserves it.
When you consider how little Ridley has changed in recent years, or even months, compared to the entire development of Dark Samus...

All I'm sayin' is that the game would be more likely delayed to add a recently updated character (Dark Samus) rather than a character who's more-or-less 'set in stone' by now (Ridley).

Now that I think about it, recent changes forced Gannondorf to be a clone of Captain Falcon. Recent changes would also add much to Dark Samus' repertoire, so maybe Nintendo is delaying the game to keep from repeating past mistakes?

Nah. I'm just kidding. Brawl got delayed due to WiFi problems. But think about that...

Purple Dragon
Spyro
for Brawl! :chuckle:

Ridley doesn't rep retro or new he reps all.

He is retro and his is modern.

He is a pirate and he is a Dragon.

Now saying they have fair ground is your your personal biased towards Dark samus... Dark Samus does have a chance but against Ridley... don't make me laugh.

She would have actually been a more likely choice if Prime was popular in Japan, but... it aint.

Now im not against DS im just saying she doesn't stand a chance against Ridley... and having two villains in an underepped franchise isn't going to happen anytime soon.

*Points at Kirby*... shutup!
Or your personal bias towards Ridley? Nobody would be here unless they either: 1) Had so little of a life that they were bored enough to come here or 2) Have a chracter who they support until whits-end. And what proof do you have to offer that the Prime series isn't popular in Japan? Do you have sales figures? Is this quoted on some reputable internet site? I don't claim Dark Samus' vast popularity; sure this thread wouldn't eFing exist if Dark Samus weren't popular, but I'm not stating that as a source. Come up with something real, please.

A character cannot be both retro AND modern. Retro would be G&W...IC...someone who invokes nostalgia. It's like saying that Yoshi is retro. Ridley has been active since back when, while the first two were popular and then forced to the wayside. Until a character is "discarded" by their company they shouldn't be considered retro.

He hasn't been so active in the new as he's been in the old, but he still maintains a weak presence. Alternatively, Dark Samus has made quite a presence in the new Metroid games, having been the final boss in Prime 1 and 2 (because Dark Samus = Omega Metroid). ((I have yet to play the third, so I'm not sure about that one, but I'm leaning heavily towards a face-off with Dark Samus yet again.)) In case you hadn't noticed, Sakurai has gone with the more recent representative from Fire Emblem (Ike), Kirby (Metaknight), and Mother (Lucas). It's also very commonly accepted that Bowser Jr. will be making the roster - not many would argue this - yet he's a second villain from an already heavily repped series, and he's a more recent addition to it as well. Why wouldn't Mr. Sakurai go with the more recent of Metroid?

Dark Samus has been the main antagonist for two, possibly three, of the most recent games in the Metroid series. She's important now while Ridley was important then. Of course Retro Studios ((:chuckle:)) wouldn't drop one of their popular old characters, but that character can still take backseat to a newer one.

DS has every right and just as good a chance as Ridley does to make it into Brawl. I think the only bias here is that of Mr. Sakurai.

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
I remember saying that they may add Ridley in this short delay but people said it would take longer than that to add him but who knows even if he only exists as a story element at the moment it could be possible to add a moveset to the already existant model, unless of course he is already in the playable roster

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Uh huh... I should have believed Youko. Some of you guys are crazy.

~~~~~~~~~

Anyways... I'll just make a lil' Dark Samus moveset. There's probably 3 in my moveset thread, but whatever.

Neutral B: Phazon Shield
Similar to the Phazon Shield in the games, it does damage, repels your opponent, and makes all hits phantom. Most projectiles will be canceled out; however, attacks like SSBM's Needles or Link's fully charged arrow may still penetrate. In the air, you are suspended midair, floating, for a second.

Forward B: Phazon Beam
In Echoes, to defeat Dark Samus you had to
absorb her Phazon shots by charging your beam, then shoot her with those shots
. You shoot a barrage of shots which will do high damage and low knockback. Maybe 6 or 7. However, your opponent can charge an attack (any attack that can be charged) and absorb the shots, making that attack more powerful.

Up B: Heal thing.
Dark Samus jumps into the air and starts healing her self at a rate of maybe 5% per second, but less the more you do it. After a few seconds, she goes into landfallspeciallag.

Down B: Shockwave
One of the most classic Prime attacks is the jump-into-the-air-and-land-to-make-a-shockwave. Almost every boss does it. When Dark Samus does it, she jumps into the air, then lands while punching the ground (weird wording) to make a Phazon shockwave. The damage is low, knockback high. She is invincible while in the air, however, there is significant lag after. When performed in the air, it acts like Wizard Foot, even though that is the worst name ever.

What now? Is that a clone?

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
^^^

A little extreme, but totally true.
Thx ^^ I should calm myself down... but I just hate it when people think such stupid things over and OVER AND OVER without even questioning themselves at all about the situation...

maaan **** that game ''MPH'' for me its not a real Metroid game^^ its more like Counter Strike DS

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Prime fanboys make me want to kill everyone on the boards and then myself.

The past Metroids were far better, and were as influential to other games almost as much as Zelda or Mario. Prime is simply a streamlined version of past Metroids made to appeal to all the ADHD diagnosed noobs out there who don't have the patience to backtrack.

Having Dark Samus in the game over or instead of Ridley is like having Vaati in over or instead of Ganondorf. Anyone who believes Ridley can't be in Brawl and Dark Samus or the Hunters take more priority anyway are completely ignorant to the both the Smash and Metroid series.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Prime fanboys make me want to kill everyone on the boards and then myself.

The past Metroids were far better, and were as influential to other games almost as much as Zelda or Mario. Prime is simply a streamlined version of past Metroids made to appeal to all the ADHD diagnosed noobs out there who don't have the patience to backtrack.

Having Dark Samus in the game over or instead of Ridley is like having Vaati in over or instead of Ganondorf. Anyone who believes Ridley can't be in Brawl and Dark Samus or the Hunters take more priority anyway are completely ignorant to the both the Smash and Metroid series.
True the last REALLY good metroid game was Super Metroid. And the fan fics and comics and stories that came out of that were phenominal. THAT is the metroid world that I think Sakurai should be using

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
I think it could be possible for Mother Brain to be playable in Brawl, if she is resized and wears something like a robotic armor or someother thing similar as how she in on Captain N.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
That is true. However, I think Ridley may be a bit too large to be in Brawl, and if they choose not to use Dark Samus, those guys are our other choices.

Stryks

Smash Hero
TO ALL ****IN IDIOTS WHO THINK SOMEONE FROM HUNTERS WILL BE IN BRAWL!!!!!!! >_____>

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU EXPECT THOSE LITTLE UNIMPORTANT IDIOTS TO BE STARRING IN BRAWL??? :mad::mad:

1.Theyve apeared in only ONE GAME carrying a MOST UNIMPORTANT ROLE AND DONT EVEN GET EVEN ABIT IN CONTACT WITH SAMUS EXCEPT THAT WHEN THEY FIGHT!!!

2.THEY ALL DIE MISREBALY BECAUSE THEY SUCK BADLY AND DONT CARRY AN IMPORTANT ROLE!!!!!

RIDLEY has been one of Samus archenemies since the first game of Metroid.
He truly HATES samus and theyve been having a REAAALLY LONG FIGHT!!! Hes been trying to get revenge by killin her after she messed his whole masterplan up.

And anyway Ganondorf and Bowser are all Enemies of the Most important characters Mario,Link and Samus is one of them TOO

Dark Samus is ALSO likley to appear coz shes been holdin a GRUDGE against Samus since he appeared and got kicked away by samus as the HUMONGOUS METROID PRIME !!!

So yeah **** TRACE,WEAVEL,SYLUX or whatever theyre named!!! COT THEY HAVE ONLY ONCE PLAYED A ROLE WHICH WAS PRETTY **** UNIMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
And RIDLEY,DARK SAMUS aka Metroid Prime FTW and they can appear as theyve been BOTH playing a REAAAAAAL BIG ROLE especially Ridley
Ok tell that to shiek who was in only one game and was in melee, hell roy wasnt even ON a game before melee so STFU, having a hunter aint that big of deal, each one is unique and can bring a new unique fighter to the roster, yes theyre roles plae against ridleys, but sakurai said he wanted to rep the series more, why not have samus/zamus, ridley, and a hunter (or dark samus)? also get ur facts straight the hunters didnt die, they all escaped, MP3 hunters were the only exception, but only rundas was awesome...

anyway it seems sylux wil lhave a big role in future metroid games, seeing how his ship appeared in the 100% ending of prime 3, so suck it...

Shuma

Smash Hero
OMG.... i saw someone say that Bowser was small in the original mario bross, well Ridley was Samus's size in the first metroid.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Wow, quite a rant.

Besides Ridley, there aren't many people who can fill this role as well as some of the hunters can.

Dark Samus? Clone character. There is a Dark Link, Dark Mario, hell, even a Dark Kirby. And they are ALL the same as the originals.

So screw Dark Samus and her important role. The only thing they wouldn't have in common is the Dark before Dark Samu's name.

As for Hunters, I would enjoy either seeing Sylux or Weavel.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well smashbot obviously ur either some kid who hasnt played prime, or ur some kid who think that: "they lok the same = clone

tell me does samus have:
copy ability, a phazon dive, beam spreader, slicer beam, phazon barrier, the ability to completely control phazon, and so on?

play the game and then u can rant all u want, flaming a character without atually seeing it in action is a sign of n00biness, but if u HAVE played prime 2-3, then ur are obviously closed minded...

Shuma

Smash Hero
Then you know nothing about Dark Samus, because besides appareance he's nothing like samus.

HotelDusk215

Smash Rookie
Id really rather have ridley as a boss. I dont know much about the MP series so I dont know who could be playable. Maybe one of the hunters will be.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
C'mon, who wouldn't want to play as a plasma breathing alien space pirate dragon?

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
Sylux from hunters would be a good one in my opinion or ridley too he already does have boss music for SSBB im not exactly sure if that kills his chances or increases them (using Petey as an example since he's the first boss and he's way too big) but im not sure, Sylux has a lot of popularity.
i really would like to see Grundas (the ice guy in MP3) but i doubt it...

Shuma

Smash Hero
No really, i whant to know why, 'cause the one that have sayd that so far have been trolls, others are just close minded, 'cause i can't understand why you wouldn't whant to play as a Plasma breathing Pirate commander alien dragon.

I mean, having doubts is one thing, but not whanting him as a PC... i don't really understand.

Top Bottom