• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Rivals...Who gets the SSBB spot?

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I hate you all.

Just wait and see when Dark Samus turns up as an AT, Kraid or Mother Brain as a boss, Hunters as trophies, and Ridley as a PC. Come tell me Dark Samus has character potential then. Come tell me the Hunters are important then. Come tell me Ridley is too big then.

You all can take Prime and your second rate generic characters and blow them out your azses. I'm going to be playing as Ridley with my friends over Wi Fi why you all read your trophy descriptions over and over.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Prime fanboys make me want to kill everyone on the boards and then myself.

The past Metroids were far better, and were as influential to other games almost as much as Zelda or Mario. Prime is simply a streamlined version of past Metroids made to appeal to all the ADHD diagnosed noobs out there who don't have the patience to backtrack.

Having Dark Samus in the game over or instead of Ridley is like having Vaati in over or instead of Ganondorf. Anyone who believes Ridley can't be in Brawl and Dark Samus or the Hunters take more priority anyway are completely ignorant to the both the Smash and Metroid series.
Wow, it's grossly apparent that you didn't even bother to read my post. You just went about trying to shoot me down, hoping I'd run back to my mother and forget that you invalid point still existed.

Well, newsflash, you can't get rid of me so easily.

You open up with an opinion, followed by a vague similie, and then an insult. I'm not convinced.

Dark Samus has appeared more times than Vaati has, and has made more recent appearances, so say'eth the great and almighty Wiki. :p

I've got a concept for you. Please try your best to understand, I know it'll be difficult for you to wrap your mind around it. I had parents who cared about my social and physiological development. Because my parents gave a darn, they didn't let me sit inside and play video games as a child. Due to this 'unfortunate' set of circumstances, I never got to play good ol' fashioned games like this Metroid series of which you speak. However, once I'd grown up a bit and the shackles of love had been loosened, I played games, and I fell in love with the Metroid Prime series. Now I, like many others growing up around my age (or possibly younger) want to see our favorite characters of this generation (like Dark Samus) repped in the greatest fighting game ever made so far. Who are you to say that our generation of characters should be denied?

Oh, and I guess you haven't played the Prime games, because there's definitely back-tracking up the whazoo.

Wow, quite a rant.

Besides Ridley, there aren't many people who can fill this role as well as some of the hunters can.

Dark Samus? Clone character. There is a Dark Link, Dark Mario, hell, even a Dark Kirby. And they are ALL the same as the originals.

So screw Dark Samus and her important role. The only thing they wouldn't have in common is the Dark before Dark Samu's name.

As for Hunters, I would enjoy either seeing Sylux or Weavel.
The hunters, despite what fine additions they would make, aren't quite as important as either Dark Samus or Ridley to the Metroid series. Any one of the hunters could be given a wonderful moveset, I just don't think they could ever take the place of the two antagonists who really matter. Sorry, Stryks. :( Unless you've got some hope to offer?

Oh, and as previously said, Dark Samus IS NOT a clone. That's not a good excuse.

I hate you all.

Just wait and see when Dark Samus turns up as an AT, Kraid or Mother Brain as a boss, Hunters as trophies, and Ridley as a PC. Come tell me Dark Samus has character potential then. Come tell me the Hunters are important then. Come tell me Ridley is too big then.

You all can take Prime and your second rate generic characters and blow them out your azses. I'm going to be playing as Ridley with my friends over Wi Fi why you all read your trophy descriptions over and over.
That's fine, but why don't you actually try talking for a change? Even though I'm not a fan, change can be good...sometimes.

What's the dealio? So much anger. Do you really think I give a darn? FYI, I wouldn't even threaten to.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ridley's the only viable choice from Metroid series that would give variety. You cant tell me that Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Dark Samus all in one game would be good for Metroid.

If Charizard can be a character (who will need to roll and such btw), then Ridley can work too. Sakurai is magical with these things...

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I never got to play good ol' fashioned games like this Metroid series of which you speak.
Well there you go. That's the problem right there. Thanks for admitting that you've never played any Metroids besides Prime. You're just rolling in your own ignorance aren't you? You tell everyone how much better Dark Samus is and here you haven't even played a Metroid game besides Prime.

Trying to insult someone's intelligence is one of the most immature things you can do on the forum. And then you say I don't prove any points. Well aren't you a hypocritical *******?

And stop posting in purple. It's just annoying and doesn't make you any cooler or more unique.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...**** new school gamers...hatin on the good old school games they never played

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
jesus im 13 and the originals where great.my first was number2.
the best metroid game i have to say is infact prime number1.it was such a great come back.the old ones where still great games at there time and still are.i can just 'whip' out my NES and 'whack' metroid for a couple of hours.I know this is just me speaking but many,many ,many other popel agree with me.i may be new school gamer but the old school is what started it all.
also im thinking.Ridley isnt a plasma breathing etc thing that gives him a futureistic look.that started on meta-ridley. the rildey most people want only breaths fire :(

D

Deleted member

My first was also number two.

I had no idea what the hell a "Ridley" was until like I was twelve. Then I read up on him. And I thought he was awesome. Probably about the same time I realised Metroid was awesome in itself. Okay, so a space(wo)man fighting a dragon?

SWEET.

But strangely, I'm kinda meh about Ridley in Brawl. If they pulled it off right, he could be AWESOME, but I have a feeling he may be clunky, or strangely broken. In some ways i don't even think he was made to be a playable character.

Then again, I support Sylux, so what's my opinion actually worth? lol

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
hey dude as long as you support its okay...and if a hunter should make it in it should be sylux.

also i think MPH takes place after MP3
i want to play the game but i dont have it.ive heard when 100%complete you see syluxes ship.now in the MPH booklet it says sylux has been involved with the federation before ending in a bad situition or something like that.correct me if im wrong.

GigaAndy

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, if Petey Pirahna is appearing as a 'boss' for the story mode, then I find it likely that Ridley could also be a boss, as he is far too powerful to be a playable character. So far we have seen that all the characters that are playable are playable in another game, Ridley is not.

As for a playable character? I'd have to go with Dark Samus, as picking a hunter from Hunters would be too hard, and people would complain if it wasn't their favourite.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Ridley's the only viable choice from Metroid series that would give variety. You cant tell me that Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Dark Samus all in one game would be good for Metroid.

If Charizard can be a character (who will need to roll and such btw), then Ridley can work too. Sakurai is magical with these things...
Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Dark Samus all in one game would be good for Metroid...and Brawl.

Well there you go. That's the problem right there. Thanks for admitting that you've never played any Metroids besides Prime. You're just rolling in your own ignorance aren't you? You tell everyone how much better Dark Samus is and here you haven't even played a Metroid game besides Prime.

Trying to insult someone's intelligence is one of the most immature things you can do on the forum. And then you say I don't prove any points. Well aren't you a hypocritical *******?

And stop posting in purple. It's just annoying and doesn't make you any cooler or more unique.
You're welcome. I'm not the type of person to throw extraneous information into a debate, and I certainly won't lie or make anything up. However, sarcasm and satire are not above me.

I'm trying to show you that there's a particular fanbase for people like me. Some of us didn't play many old-school games, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't see our characters repped. New-school is important, too. That's the point which I've been making, it's simple, and it makes me wonder what you're doing on your end when you couldn't understand that. I've got others, by the way.

Actually, I haven't insulted your intelligence a single time. The only thing I said, which you might have missinterpreted, was "try to wrap your mind around...I know it will be difficult...", and that wasn't to insult intelligence, it was to point out how disgustingly closed-minded you're being about this whole issue. Meanwhile, you've gone off and insulted me in each paragraph that you've typed thusfar, so if anyone's the "hypocritical b-word" in this debate then it's you.

I don't see anything wrong with purple; I happen to like the color. If you don't like it then you have a few options: highlight the whole post to change the color(reasonable); change your own color and see if I care(immature); ignore me(viable yet unproductive); leave this thread(wouldn't phase me). Or invent your own option, but be reasonable.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm happy you decided to address one entire sentence of my post. It's an improvement I can be proud of.

...**** new school gamers...hatin on the good old school games they never played
I'm not trash-talking old-school games. I'd have to have said something degrading, or at least negative, about them to be doing that...which I have not.

Shuma

Smash Hero
The way I see it, if Petey Pirahna is appearing as a 'boss' for the story mode, then I find it likely that Ridley could also be a boss, as he is far too powerful to be a playable character. So far we have seen that all the characters that are playable are playable in another game, Ridley is not.
Does this mean Ganondorf is not coming back?

Besides, Petey pirahna is just a random boss you encounter in some games, Mr. Ridley is the main antagonist of Metroid. Ridley is to Samus what Bowser is to Mario.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Ridley or dark samus but I have never played a metroid game before so I wouldent really know..

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley>Dark Samus if Ridley is deconfirmed then Dark Sammy is a given, or if Dark Sammy is deconfirmed Ridley is a given.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Does this mean Ganondorf is not coming back?

Besides, Petey pirahna is just a random boss you encounter in some games, Mr. Ridley is the main antagonist of Metroid. Ridley is to Samus what Bowser is to Mario.
Haha, no.

Gannondorf has an invested history in Zelda. He's also humanoid in form. Petey Piranha isn't either of those things. He's more of a mini-boss, that's why he served as a boss in the Subspace Emissary.

I know you didn't believe he wouldn't be coming back. This post wasn't directed AT you, but it went along with what you already said so I wanted to quote it. That's all.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
So, Rhyme, just because you've never played a Metroid game besides Prime means that Dark Samus should be in Brawl? I don't understand the logic behind that... I don't care if Dark Samus is in the game or not, just not above or instead of Ridley. Because Ridley is an all around better choice for a new Metroid character.

Just tell me this, how is Dark Samus better than Ridley?

SolidCrispy

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but Ridley has all the makings of an SE boss. Reoccuring boss in the series, but not really a main villian (unlike Bowser and Ganondorf).

Not saying they COULDN'T make him work, but they'd have to butcher him size-wise as well. It just seems unnatural.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ok Gypsy, you're a total ******* seriously, do you whant an answer to that? Ok i'll give you one.

Dark Samus is blue, duh. And we all know Ridley is too purple to be in Brawl, Epic fail Gypsy, seriously. I no longer love u.

Edit:

Ridley IS the main villain.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sorry, but Ridley has all the makings of an SE boss. Reoccuring boss in the series, but not really a main villian (unlike Bowser and Ganondorf).

Not saying they COULDN'T make him work, but they'd have to butcher him size-wise as well. It just seems unnatural.
Petey Pirahna is the only boss revealed and he was insignificant in the series...

Ridley IS the main villain. just never the most powerful

Shuma

Smash Hero
But he IS the more powerfull, well except when Dark Samus showed up.

SolidCrispy

Smash Apprentice
I know he's the most involved in Samus' story, but he never seems to be the main villian, unlike Ganon and Bowser. However, we have Metaknight in the game, so this doesn't mean a whole lot.

Just saying his spot isn't exactly guaranteed above Dark Samus and the like.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know he's the most involved in Samus' story, but he never seems to be the main villian, unlike Ganon and Bowser. However, we have Metaknight in the game, so this doesn't mean a whole lot.

Just saying his spot isn't exactly guaranteed above Dark Samus and the like.
But Dark Samus is in Prime...and the Japanese dislike Prime...

That's why no Prime elements have been seen yet

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley's inclusion as a PC is one of the most debatable thanks to Dark ****ing Samus, but the only thing Dark Sammy has going for him against Ridley is that he would be easir to put in the game.

And if he's not the main villain, then who? In Metroid Fusion the main villain are the X true, and prime s Dark Samus, but in Prime and Prime 3 Ridley is the main villain, same with Metroid/Super Metroid and Zero mission. He protects Mother Brain, but he doesn't work for her.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
japanese are weird.they cant see it.prime was one of the greatest hits for gamecube.it was probably bout 4th best with ssbm being 3rd.2nd was probably a game we have never heard of and number 1 was emm.....no idea as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
japanese are weird.they cant see it.prime was one of the greatest hits for gamecube.it was probably bout 4th best with ssbm being 3rd.2nd was probably a game we have never heard of and number 1 was emm.....no idea as well.
I hate the Prime series, I think your looking at it in reverse

Rhyme

Smash Lord
So, Rhyme, just because you've never played a Metroid game besides Prime means that Dark Samus should be in Brawl? I don't understand the logic behind that... I don't care if Dark Samus is in the game or not, just not above or instead of Ridley. Because Ridley is an all around better choice for a new Metroid character.

Just tell me this, how is Dark Samus better than Ridley?
Not exactly. What I said was that there are people like me who haven't had a chance to play the older games and so we don't have character favorites from those respectable titles. For people like me, it's unfair to say that new-gen isn't worthy of inclusion when new-gen is all we know.

Fine, if you think I'm so narcasistic that it's always about me, then you can think of it as that. But it isn't about me, it's about people growing up in a younger generation who will be playing a popular game for seven years to come, and everyone wants their favorite character. Why use only characters who grew on gamers from 5 or 10 years ago?

Well, that's like me asking you to tell me why Ridley is better than DS. You're biased towards the older games like I am towards the new ones. We're not going to agree, so what do you want me to say?

Dark Samus is the one who's most influential to Samus currently. What greater enemy can you have than that which is essentially yourself? Samus, in trying to prevent one attrocity, has created an even greater one, and now chases that entity around trying to stop it. Ridley, while always involved, seemed to hunt Samus so far as I know. Dark Samus has actually become the hunted - this is more significant for a hired-hand bounty hunter. Ridley is a disruption while Dark Samus is a goal. This is why Dark Samus is more important than Ridley is to Metroid's current storyline.

Neither one is more original. One the one hand, we have Dark Samus; constructed around Samus' powersuit and DNA, but essentially corrupted in mental process and structure. Dark Samus uses phazon to enhance her movement capabilities as well as to attack. Everything about the bizare substance has mutated the character's abilities tremendously, yet there's still a certain kinship towards the original. On the other hand, you've got Ridley. While there's certainly never been another flying alein plasma-breathing dragon, we've had creatures come close, creatures we can compare him too (Bowser and Charizard). Ridley has his own repertoire of unique moves as well, yet still, like Dark Samus, it's nothing that couldn't be thought up with minimal effort. Nothing stands out to any great degree. Both Ridley and Dark Samus will perform similarly to, and yet nothing alike, at least one other character in Brawl, because both concepts have been used before.

Appeal...well we shouldn't really be getting into this, but it is a factor. If you remember liking a character as you grew up then of course you'd want to see that character in the most amazing game ever so far. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't like to second guess people, but those who aren't fond of the whole "light vs dark" motif usually don't value Dark Samus in many, if any, facets of her existance. I like that theme and so Dark Samus intrigues me. If you didn't like that theme, or if you started playing the series at a different time and liked a different character, then naturally you wouldn't approve of DS. However, since I started playing recently and learned to love Dark Samus, she will naturally be more appealing to me than Ridley ever could be.

Whatever you want to look at it really doesn't matter. A character's individual appeal is strictly opinion, as is originality to a certain degree. Of course you'd argue that Ridley is more original than DS, and I would do likewise against Ridley. Both characters have or do serve their important purpose in the series. These two characters are mostly equal when you speak about which one is more deserving.

So basically, Mr. Sakurai and his team are building a new-gen game for a new-gen system which will appeal to a new generation of players. I just hope that the new generation of characters (like Dark Samus and the same sort of new characters) will not be overprioritized by relics of Nintendo's past.

But Dark Samus is in Prime...and the Japanese dislike Prime...

That's why no Prime elements have been seen yet
Oh right, I forgot that the Prime series doesn't have the plasma beam, ice beam, grapple beam, morph ball bombs (and bomb jumping), screw attack, homing missiles, or super missiles. Completely slipped my mind.

Actually, most elements from the old Metroid games remained the same when switching to the new Metroid games, so Samus is representing both generations simultaneously. There's only a few things I can think of off-hand. The SWD is remeniscent of the boost ball, which I don't know if that was in the old games. Samus was outfitted with the Prime suit design in Melee, so Nintendo took a step in the right direction there. Also, think about Zamus' grapple beam. Thanks to the new physics, the devs were able to make it so she can now grab her opponents and pull them to her. Sound familiar? In Prime 3, Samus could use her grapple beam to disarm her opponents, rip obstructions and throw them backwards over her head, and tear wall-crawlers from the walls. What Zamus did now seems to mimick the newer Metroid games much more, doesn't it?

So yeah, Prime elements have definitely been seen. Also, I'm still waiting on the source that says Japan doesn't like Prime.

NO, they just hate Prime because it's First Person Shooter-esque
Still waiting for that source. And what does it matter anyway? You can find this on Samurai Panda's translation thread: he paraphrases Mr. Sakurai as saying that he won't use "japan-only" characters this time around, that he knows Smash has a wide audience and he will try to use characters who appeal to the world-wide audience.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I meant elements FROM Prime, not elements from the metroid series that were added to Prime...

and I'm not going to give you any source, find it yourself...(If that's what your asking)

...I'm really not interested in convincing anyone of anything when it doesn't matter in the long run anyway...

If Ridley is in, he's in etc. etc.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im normally on Rhymes side, being buddies and all, but I cant see dark samus BEFORE ridley, even if hes way easier to program than ridley, I mena ridley has been in every game and, like samus and the metroid themselves, hes synonoumous to the series, and has apepared in almost every single game, minus MP2, M2, MPH and pinball but that barely counts...

1st ridley, THEN dark samus, and hopefully after sylux XD

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I meant elements FROM Prime, not elements from the metroid series that were added to Prime...

and I'm not going to give you any source, find it yourself...(If that's what your asking)

...I'm really not interested in convincing anyone of anything when it doesn't matter in the long run anyway...

If Ridley is in, he's in etc. etc.
How can you say that there's nothing new added, then? How much new content has been added to Mario games? How much to Zelda titles? There's only so much new content that the devs can invent.

Well I'm not doing your research for you. This is a topic which we are here to debate, so if you're not going to cite sources for your own evidence then you'd might as well leave, or at least keep quiet. Why are you here if you're not interested?

Ridley pwns the others
'Nuff' said
Opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What the hell are you talking about...? I never said nothing has been added to Prime or anything...

Legolastom

Smash Hero
How can you say that there's nothing new added, then? How much new content has been added to Mario games? How much to Zelda titles? There's only so much new content that the devs can invent.

Well I'm not doing your research for you. This is a topic which we are here to debate, so if you're not going to cite sources for your own evidence then you'd might as well leave, or at least keep quiet. Why are you here if you're not interested?

Opinion.
You mean apart from the fact that Samus is based off of her Zero mission look, the stage we got isn't in any Metroid Prime, Samus's bombs are the 2-D styled ones and her missiles are Super Metroid based as well? and if you want sources go and look for your self.

This point has actually been argued many, many, many times before in the Ridley thread and it has always been found out that nothing is from Prime.

And you make out as if Ridley is retro when... he isn't. He is nostalgic and he makes appearances in recent Metroid games as well. Not to mention he is the most powerful space pirate that you ever get to see and he is a reoccurring boss and he caused ALL the events in the Metroid series to happen )Find the origin of Samus's hatred for the space pirates) and even if you don't include the fact that Ridley killed Samus's mother in front of her eyes and caused her dad to commit suicide, he still stole the Metroid's and he was still on space frigate orphan (Or whatever its called), and he still over sees most of the space pirate activity.

He may not be the final boss but he is the main antagonist and Samus's arch rival.

~ B.A.D. A.R.S.E.S.. for life ~​

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You know what? **** you all. **** everybody who posted in this thread. Yeah, me too. Why did I revive this thread?

IT'S JUST A GAME. If you think someone should be shot because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think some is a ****** because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think someone is a ****ing ******* of a ***** because of a character in a game, shut up. I'm sorry.

*unsubscribes to thread*

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well why don't you try shutting up while we have a discussion!?

And im glad its a stupid idea for a thread anyway but at least now we can talk about the villains in general.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what? **** you all. **** everybody who posted in this thread. Yeah, me too. Why did I revive this thread?

IT'S JUST A GAME. If you think someone should be shot because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think some is a ****** because of a character in a game, shut up. If you think someone is a ****ing ******* of a ***** because of a character in a game, shut up. I'm sorry.

*unsubscribes to thread*
That was very uncalled for and immature

Stryks

Smash Hero

*unsubscribes to thread*
Yeah well if debating is ******** and immature, congress and order would be dead, or pretty much how it is rite now...

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord

*unsubscribes to thread*
so..your point is...
sure we over react sometimes by saying we shoot ourselfs and stuff. but hey i got two opions.
1.we have fun on a subject we like.(probably like you with yourself on a daily nightime)
2.yes its a game but then so are drugs.you gonna walk up to a druggie and go WELL STFU IT ONLY A DRUG IT CAN ONLY KILL YOU FFS!!!!no you arnt because thats rude so would you however be so nice a lets us be plz.if not i will emm shoot myself?

Top Bottom