• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Here's how I see Morph ball mode working.
B Down- exit morph ball.
B Side- Boost Ball
nB- Bombs, work as normal
B Up- Spider Ball; briefly climb walls and can act as a tether, with the main difference being you automatically roll onto the stage instead of grabbing the edge first, and can smoothly act out of it with other morph ball mode actions. Much shorter than the normal tether.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I really can't believe I haven't noticed this topic. Been spending too much time lurking the Samus boards.

Bombs have always been useful, anyone who says otherwise used them wrong. Man, I'm gonna have fun in this topic.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really can't believe I haven't noticed this topic. Been spending too much time lurking the Samus boards.

Bombs have always been useful, anyone who says otherwise used them wrong. Man, I'm gonna have fun in this topic.
How does one use them correctly?

Mind games?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
How does one use them correctly?

Mind games?
With a hint of spacing tool, recovery assist and offense deterrent. Bombs aren't what they were in the past, and shouldn't be used as such in most cases. Rather than using them sparringly, I literally drop one every safe chance I get (obviously watch your footing if the enemy is close, which may be a sign that you're not playing Samus right), especially on maps with multiple platforms/ledges (Spiderball, bomb jumping and ledge mindgames come to...well..mind). If nothing else, they look cool.

...Seems a tad bit redundant to be discussing past games for the new game thread on Sammy, but it's not like the Brawl boards for her are lively this decade around. I'm the opinionated/trash Samus player that hasn't broke out due to life johns, btw. Been playing Samus since 64 and Melee, though, and I can say with a straight face that I prefer bomb mindgames (not necessarily power or properties, of course) in Brawl than in either of those.

Screw Attack is in the opposite boat, actually. I feel like Smash 64 got it right, while Brawl hit and just barely missed. I'd love the idea of it being more like in the game, with the Space Jump affecting it (to a limited degree, say like Prime's 5 "jumps").

Lastly this Morph Ball mode idea is something I've been preaching since pre-Brawl days. Even if all it did was make you able to move around as if you're permanently stuck in her side dodge and nothing else, I'd love it. If anything, I would've loved if her Final Smash was the Death Ball from Metroid Prime Hunters, where you could just pinball around insta-killing people (like the Boost Ball Guardian in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes), rather than her just having the world's flashiest strip-tease.

Don't get me wrong, I love turning into ZSS (and vice versa), but was disappointed with the finished product (it not being a guaranteed kill and leaving you vulnerable for so long, for instance). I just thought there was already some big potential to be pulled from the actual games rather than Sakurai almost ignoring Prime completely (Meta-Ridley added insult to injury, if you ask me).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
With a hint of spacing tool, recovery assist and offense deterrent. Bombs aren't what they were in the past, and shouldn't be used as such in most cases. Rather than using them sparringly, I literally drop one every safe chance I get (obviously watch your footing if the enemy is close, which may be a sign that you're not playing Samus right), especially on maps with multiple platforms/ledges (Spiderball, bomb jumping and ledge mindgames come to...well..mind). If nothing else, they look cool.

...Seems a tad bit redundant to be discussing past games for the new game thread on Sammy, but it's not like the Brawl boards for her are lively this decade around. I'm the opinionated/trash Samus player that hasn't broke out due to life johns, btw. Been playing Samus since 64 and Melee, though, and I can say with a straight face that I prefer bomb mindgames (not necessarily power or properties, of course) in Brawl than in either of those.

Screw Attack is in the opposite boat, actually. I feel like Smash 64 got it right, while Brawl hit and just barely missed. I'd love the idea of it being more like in the game, with the Space Jump affecting it (to a limited degree, say like Prime's 5 "jumps").

Lastly this Morph Ball mode idea is something I've been preaching since pre-Brawl days. Even if all it did was make you able to move around as if you're permanently stuck in her side dodge and nothing else, I'd love it. If anything, I would've loved if her Final Smash was the Death Ball from Metroid Prime Hunters, where you could just pinball around insta-killing people (like the Boost Ball Guardian in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes), rather than her just having the world's flashiest strip-tease.

Don't get me wrong, I love turning into ZSS (and vice versa), but was disappointed with the finished product (it not being a guaranteed kill and leaving you vulnerable for so long, for instance). I just thought there was already some big potential to be pulled from the actual games rather than Sakurai almost ignoring Prime completely (Meta-Ridley added insult to injury, if you ask me).
I really would like to see multiple beam powers (activated with directional input during charge, not with taunting) and an actual Morph Ball Mode. If you could activate the Final Smash while in Morph Ball Mode and turn into the Death Ball... that'd be so awesome. Especially for players who want to be able to use Samus's FS without turning into Zero Suit.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just thought there was already some big potential to be pulled from the actual games rather than Sakurai almost ignoring Prime completely (Meta-Ridley added insult to injury, if you ask me).
I think it's best that they keep Samus' moveset and model inspired primarily by the sidescrollers, it seems to fit best, where as Prime can be represented by stages, music and other things. It's not like Sunshine helped Mario's moveset all that much, sometimes forcing that kind of representation onto a character can flop quite hard.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well I doubt Samus inheriting things from Prime as moves would flop anywhere as much as Mario's FLUDD, but I suppose that's a different story. The Prime series may as well not be "represented" again though if done the way it was in Brawl, aside from music. The Frigate Orpheon stage felt completely halfassed compared to other things they could've done or other places in the game they could've made into a stage, and I agree that Meta-Ridley added insult to injury, far as his execution at least.

Anyway, guess I'm not too surprised the bombs would have their use somewhere, in ways most wouldn't think at first. Huh. Could see them still being changed for the better though while still able to be used as mind games.

I think everyone can agree on the idea of a morph ball mode, and something like the Death Ball would definitely be cool, but if they're gonna continue keeping the moveset based mostly off the sidescrollers, then they might as well make Super Metroid's Hyper Beam a final smash or something. Would be preferable over the gimmick of the Zero Laser at least IMO, and ZSS can just be an entirely separate character, without there being armor pieces laying around if you choose to start a match as her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have to say if Samus' bombs wer like they were in Super Metriod they would be over-powered. But they could stand to be buffed so that normal people without the reactions of a... thing that reacts fast, could make use of the bomb jumps.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I still would like to see her switching beam weapons, dagnabbit! Perhaps that could change some of her Smash Attack's qualities slightly too (Fire explosion, ice explosion, electric explosion, and... kinetic energy explosion, I guess)

The picture showing her in the Morph Ball mode with a bomb in the air makes me suspect that her down+B hasn't changed in any way... sort of a pity. I want her to have a genuine morph ball mode, but I can see why they wouldn't want that.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
All I really need are Morph Bombs that explode on contact. Can't stress enough how useful they feel in Melee and how useless they're in Brawl (if you don't have good timing).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Samus looks so killer right now, I usually don't really fancy the Other M design, but they made it work. She also looks so much faster now, or at least the side-Smash looks faster. Also dat explosion. She looks like a potential main for me, but that's probably because I haven't seen Falcon or Meta Knight yet, and Ridley haven't been confirmed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I agree, and it makes me more confident too that they'll do Ridley justice if he's included even if they use his Other M design as well. But yeah, can definitely see myself using her plenty more than in Brawl.

.EXE

Smash Apprentice
Well, of course, we can't forget that Sakurai does not intend for this game to be competitive and Namco Bandai is the team working on this new project, so my expectations aren't too high. :-| In some of these posts, I'm reading about ways in which Samus could be improved in Brawl as it is now but I expect Smash 4 to be an entirely different game, so just giving Samus some buffs here and there probably won't cut it. Anyway, now for things that I would like to see in the new Samus:
  • Restore Samus to her status of being heavier than Ganondorf. She's in a big suit of metal, complete with jetpacks and weapons. No reason she shouldn't even be heavier than Snake, let alone Ganon.
  • Increase her falling speed. Jumping is and always has been a chore with her because of how long she just hangs in the air. Another reason for increasing the falling speed would be to increase the desire to use bomb jumps as a recovery tactic, something that has become pretty much obsolete for Samus when she can just float back towards the stage without any risk of falling to her death.....ever.
  • Bring back the usefulness of Samus's bombs. As was stated by someone else earlier, they should have constantly active hitboxes and should also act on their own much sooner. It should also be made much easier to bomb jump. Increasing her falling speed a mite would help in accomplishing this.
  • Give Samus a morph ball mode, one in which she can roll around and freely drop bombs. This could possibly be an alternative to her bomb attack so that, instead of dropping off a bomb, she becomes a morph ball with a new, but limited, moveset. More on this in a new post or an edit of this one...
  • Samus is clearly a defensive zoning character meant to have good setups in certain mid- to long- range situations. With this in mind, give Samus a better long-range pressuring game. The most obvious means of accomplishing this is improving her missiles. For one, I really think they should remove the mechanic that causes Samus to stop shooting her missile if she lands on the ground while shooting it. This might complicate stuff like missile cancelling but from Brawl, it's become clear that was never at the forefront of Sakurai's mind.
  • Allow Samus to charge her charge shot in the air. She's, like, the ONLY charge character who can't do that. >:-/
Edit - More on that new morph ball form:
I stated that this new form should have a new, limited moveset. For instance, pressing B could launch a bomb. Pressing downB would reset her back to her original form. It could be made so that bomb jumping is only possible in this morph ball form. This would prevent accidental bomb jumps when she's in her normal form. I think her speed and mobility should also be increased while in this form. Not only would this be true to the Metroid (especially Prime) series, where her morph ball was as fast or faster than her running speed, it would also provide Samus the possibility of creating some very interesting setups. For instance, she could shoot a smash missile, transform into the morph ball form, rush over to the opponent under cover of the missile, drop a bomb on top of them, revert back to her original form, and continue her pressure. Along this line of thinking, I think the transformation into and out of this morph ball form should be extremely fast, 5 frames or less. This would definitely make those setups I envisioned possible.

The only problem with this is that samus is considered heavy in ball form as seen and displayed in most of her games. I agree on the mode sorta but if the morph ball becomes a mode bomb jumping becomes what it is in the original metroid series and not everyone is good at that lol, the other problem here is that once she becomes a ball she drops like a rock like kirby. However in ball mode she could be granted speedboost that would basically make her like sonic ooops sorry better than sonic.

Also if you'd like to know more I'm a metroid fan I practically know the series like a bible but some bosses names escape me.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Samus is the only character I've been able to use since 64 so my expectations are high as always. New design looks slick.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So, I think right now Samus might have either gotten a buff to her charge shot or a nerf to her normal missiles. When Sakurai's demonstrating the Villager, he throws the missile and and charge shot back at Samus. The missile doesn't send her back that far, so either the missile is weak or Samus must be at a low percent right? Well right after he throws her charge shot back at her and it KO's from the center of the stage, and I think she dies from the side based on the trajectory she flies at and the fact you can see the death explosion. from the center of the stage. Though this is assuming the Villagers pockets dont amplify power, and Sakurai probably didn't even try to get Samus to recover as well so theres still the chance she could have survived.

Here's the clip for convenience sake. http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ?t=3m30s

What'd you all think? I don't really remember Brawl Samus that well other than that she's terrible, so I'm just guessing here. I really want her to be fun to play in this game.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Yea, probably. I guess the normal missles are still pretty weak if that's the case.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm guessing that Villager's "Reflect" move amps up damage of projectiles shot back. Is the case with several other reflecting moves.

But it's not a reflect move... he stores it and then releases it again at his leisure. I feel like with a move like that, you really wouldn't want to mix unpredictability in with a stronger attack. It just seems unfair.

At least so far, there really don't seem to be many meaningful changes to Samus gameplay-wise. I'm still holding out (the really weak) hope that she'll have some new mechanics.
-Change her beam types between the four cardinal beams.
-Have an actual morph ball mode, not just popping into it to lay a bomb and pop out.
-Be able to launch combo missiles by fully charging a blast of any beam type and then doing a smash missile.

Ahhh... that'd make me so happy. Especially now that we know that Mega Man isn't using a switching power system, so they wouldn't be competing for that unique mechanic.

grizby2

Smash Lord
maybe morph ball mode will be her new way of crawling?

edit: "new"? what am I thinking, it would be her FIRST way of crawling. :facepalm:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Well, if the missle the Villager threw was a Homing Missile and not a Super Missile, it would explain why it seemed weak.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I just want Samus to at least be able to move in morph ball mode as a crawl.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Hopefully they make it so zero suit is accessible through a button command at will rather than the final smash. It would be a better option in every way, and we do know from other m that the suit is contained within the zero suit and has the ability to power up whenever so theres really no reason to force the change via final smash anymore.

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they make it so zero suit is accessible through a button command at will rather than the final smash. It would be a better option in every way, and we do know from other m that the suit is contained within the zero suit and has the ability to power up whenever so theres really no reason to force the change via final smash anymore.
'how about zss gets her own slot? :o

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
zzs[Other M] are fitting inside the varia suit perfectly keke... i Wonder if she will like this whitout her varia suit..... ohh HUGE hands XD​

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Just throwin' this out there

The best USA Samus in brawl (me) will not be returning to use Samus in SSBU. Though this game is looking to be a slightly better Brawl in some ways (no tripping, "air cancels," faster game play....ect) its not by much (brawl air dodge, super armor, low hit stun...ect) so there is a strong chance she will be more or less the same as she is currently. Ive spent from 2008 to 2013 (and prob a little into 2014) with Brawl samus and im just plain sick of her and how main TOs (except for myself) change rules/make rules that only hurt mid/low tier.

So yea, no more Samus for me but i WILL be dropping in from time to time to see what the new generation does to her.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Samus just needs a KO boost on her projectiles and forward Smash like in Melee. A good range characters with keep-away-from-me attacks if the enemy gets in too close.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ive learned from brawl that her size/floatiness/horrible roll all have a huge impact on how bad she is. And that is not including some of her useless moves like nair/morph ball bomb. I dont wanna have to deal with any of that in smash4.

Top Bottom