• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I haven't been up to date with Samus's abilities, but I assume that her bombs are still timed, is that right?
An once she bomb jumps, can she cancel out her animation like in Melee?

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I haven't been up to date with Samus's abilities, but I assume that her bombs are still timed, is that right?
An once she bomb jumps, can she cancel out her animation like in Melee?
This is what I'm most interested in learning as well... poor bombs. I'm interested in what her other bombs will do. Power Bomb maybe? Or bombs that aren't affected by gravity WITHOUT a timer? Those would be neat.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I've played both demos for WiiU/3ds and have been watching the full version being played on stream for 3 days now.

Samus is buffed on the ground but her projectile game is garbage. Yeah sure if you judge an air dodge or roll you can land a charge shot but missiles are garbage now due to no missile canceling. Oh and since missile Canceling is gone, all possible follow-ups from it are gone too.

She also cannot re-tether on the ledge to get invincibility.

Bombs are are still on timer.

She will be low tier yet again.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Xyro it'll be okay. don't focus on what she doesn't have you are wasting your time that way. If you want to main her focus on her strengths.

(but yeah things aren't looking too good. hope for good custom bombs I guess)

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I've been nothing but impressed with what I've seen of Samus so far. Her animations are also just really fluid and really nice to look at. Hearing about her custom moves makes it all even better. :grin:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Gosh, I am so looking forward to using her and seeing her custom moves. "Latent Bombs" (from HugS' tweet)? Hmmmm...

Shog

Smash Ace
The custom moves are really indeed amazing! I especially like the new missiles. And dem alts :3

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Neat looking moves. So that's the "melee charge shot" I take it? I was picturing her punching someone with her cannon and simultaneously firing off her shot as well, but that works! Looks devastating if it lands.

Also, dem missiles! Unless there's something better for the missile variants, I'll use those for sure!

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The Brawl Samus Boards had the best named stickies like ever.
I'm expecting a lot from the ssb4 Samus Boards in the near future.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
The standarts are true crap. The make Samus like a worse version of Little Mac. Great ground and neutral game, but you don't have any proyectile. At least theyr customs look great for their natural game.

Heck, I think even WFT can do better than Samus in her game too...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Brawl Samus Boards had the best named stickies like ever.
I'm expecting a lot from the ssb4 Samus Boards in the near future.
Expect a complete rehaul of the board over the coming days (particularly once I get my hands on the game/can go to work like I did in Brawl days). Even moreso now that I can edit threads/titles.

The standarts are true crap. The make Samus like a worse version of Little Mac. Great ground and neutral game, but you don't have any proyectile. At least theyr customs look great for their natural game.
Standard super missiles are decent for shield pressure (and homing ones are better when full hopped), vanilla Charge Shot is by no means bad (remains one of her best kill moves/best projectiles period), bombs still function well for bomb jumping/stalling, and while not a projectile, Lil Mac could only dream of having (the best) Z-air in the game (both for recovery and for offense).

Heck, I think even WFT can do better than Samus in her game too...
WFT focuses on completely different...everything, pretty much. And again, lacks Z-air.

Shog

Smash Ace
I like Samus in this game alot, except for the Neutral A Attack in the Air, I don't like it at all.

Oh and how do you use super fast missiles effective? I can't use them at all :(

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I like Samus in this game alot, except for the Neutral A Attack in the Air, I don't like it at all.

Oh and how do you use super fast missiles effective? I can't use them at all :(
What do you mean "super fast missiles effective"? Custom 3 Missiles or Standard Super Missiles?

So, how is Samus playing? Can we actually use projectiles without being laughed at or they're good?
Does Samus still combos all of her moves because none of her moves actually have knockback or we can kill someone before getting to 300% without Charge Beam?

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Considering all we have to go by is the 3DS version and that the game hasn't been out for very long, some Japanese players made this: https://game8.jp/matome/14157. ZSS is at the very top while Power Suit Samus is at rock bottom. I'd like to believe that Samus being low tier again is just a horrible joke or something. I've always disliked that ZSS is leagues better than how she is in her suit ever since Brawl. Anyone who beat Zero Mission will tell you that Samus is damn near helpless out of her suit, so some people who haven't played a Metroid game might think that Metroid's girlfriend is a lot stronger than he is... Ah well, I'm still on the positive side thinking that Samus is good again.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Considering all we have to go by is the 3DS version and that the game hasn't been out for very long, some Japanese players made this: https://game8.jp/matome/14157. ZSS is at the very top while Power Suit Samus is at rock bottom. I'd like to believe that Samus being low tier again is just a horrible joke or something. I've always disliked that ZSS is leagues better than how she is in her suit ever since Brawl. Anyone who beat Zero Mission will tell you that Samus is damn near helpless out of her suit, so some people who haven't played a Metroid game might think that Metroid's girlfriend is a lot stronger than he is... Ah well, I'm still on the positive side thinking that Samus is good again.
Heh, well, Samus is anything but helpless without her armor, but it still doesn't make sense. I can understand making her faster and of course weaker without the armor, but really, restating what you said, Power Suit Samus should be superior to her armor-less form in every way since the Suit further augments her already powerful physical capabilities, ON TOP OF having incredible firepower...

If it turns out she's bottom tier again, I'll still use her anyway, as long as she isn't as slow and weak as she was in Brawl, which she clearly isn't. Besides, all our top-of-the-line pro Samus players haven't gotten their hands on the Wii U version with the GC controller yet, and if custom moves aren't banned from tournaments, they might improve her in different ways. So there is that to look forward to!

In my opinion, ZSS should be more of the speedster, somewhat akin to Fox or something, and Power Suit Samus having more of a balance, with decent speed, but being more focused on power.

On a side note, if Samus were accurate to her actual games, her physical strength (with and without armor) and firepower would be overwhelmingly powerful. But then again, so would other characters, like Ganondorf. Still fun to think about an overpowered Samus though... ;)
/fanboy

Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'm not going to put much faith in a Japanese tier list, especially this early. The metagame is to young to make one with any accuracy. Besides, their tier list is always going to be somewhat different than ours, its part of their Smash culture. For example Link in Melee is actually considered a good character in Japan where as here as here he is considered low tier. I'm not going to say that's always the case, but its something to keep in mind.

Besides, ZeRo has stated in his analysis that he thinks Samus is good, and while admittedly not the final authority, as far as players words go I'd take his over most other people right this early on.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pebiHQ5w6as

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Keep in mind everything is subject to change. Wait until people actually start tapping into full potential rather than just initial impressions.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
As much as I love Samus, I really don't think she's got a lot to work with. Now that I'm actually playing her, she feels really slow in comparison to a lot of characters, and her combo options are a bit lacking. I do like that she can kill with Screw Attack out of shield, though. It gives her an excellent punish tool.

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love Samus, I really don't think she's got a lot to work with. Now that I'm actually playing her, she feels really slow in comparison to a lot of characters, and her combo options are a bit lacking. I do like that she can kill with Screw Attack out of shield, though. It gives her an excellent punish tool.
Woah, what do you mean her combo options are limited? If she doesn't have combos and Custom Moves are banned then honestly, Ganon won't be alone in his tier anymore.
Can she at least combo U-air or F-air into Screw Attack? You said that she can kill with SA out of shield, so at least it should have some decent knockback right?

Edit: Just saw that ZeRo Samus analysis video. She does look a lot better than Brawl Samus, and she still got mad combo skills. Charge Beam's really good, I wonder how many combos she can end with it.
She's at least mid-tier, we just don't know her new tech yet.

And Ganon can't even think about trying to take Samus down. Good Lord that's a bad matchup if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
The reason Samus is low tier on the Japanese tier list is probably because NO ONE PLAYS HER. There are so few samus mains out there. She has a LOT of tools to use and her ground attacks are quick. She probably won't be the best characther but I wouldn't be suprised if she was mid or top/mid tier especially with her custom moves. She can have 2 homing missiles, a super missile, and a charge shot out AT THE SAME TIME. I don't think you guys realize how crazy that is for stage control or edge guards.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
The reason Samus is low tier on the Japanese tier list is probably because NO ONE PLAYS HER. There are so few samus mains out there. She has a LOT of tools to use and her ground attacks are quick. She probably won't be the best characther but I wouldn't be suprised if she was mid or top/mid tier especially with her custom moves. She can have 2 homing missiles, a super missile, and a charge shot out AT THE SAME TIME. I don't think you guys realize how crazy that is for stage control or edge guards.
Exactly. She's probably a upper mid tier character now. Maybe even better depending on how many killing moves she has, but we know that Charge Beam is a lot better so we're probably looking at her best form since 64.
The only thing that's limiting her is her lack of speed, but her offensive power easily compensates for that.
I haven't seen someone so good at zoning and close combat since Nu-13 in Blazblue.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Been playing Samus a lot along with Charizard/MK.

She has one of the best tether grabs in the game as well as one of the best pivot grabs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Exactly. She's probably a upper mid tier character now. Maybe even better depending on how many killing moves she has, but we know that Charge Beam is a lot better so we're probably looking at her best form since 64.
The only thing that's limiting her is her lack of speed, but her offensive power easily compensates for that.
I haven't seen someone so good at zoning and close combat since Nu-13 in Blazblue.
I thought she was considered the worst in Smash 64?
Tier wise Melee was her best performance.

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
He means this is her best form since the smash bros was a thing. As in out of all of her iterations, this is the best.

Top Bottom