• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: 'Smash' For The Switch Will Be Entirely DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, has announced publicly today that Smash for Switch - the newest iteration of the game - will be entirely DLC, or downloadable content. That’s not to say that there isn’t a disk for the game, but it’s just that in order to actually play it you’ll now have to pay a considerable amount extra.

“Players won’t be able to bypass the title screen without paying sufficient funds," Sakurai told Smashboards in an interview he agreed to do for some reason.

Stages, items, soundtracks, trophies, sound FX’s and even a date/time widget, Sakurai says, are all only available as DLC. But perhaps the most impressive change is the “absence of the whole character roster” from the disk itself, with Nintendo opting instead to adopt an entirely DLC system for its playable characters.

Sakurai told us that “removing all of the characters from the game disk” freed up space that the team could then use to “add in specialized in-game messages” asking the user to buy DLC characters.

Smash for Switch’s new multiplayer system will require the user to buy 3 separate DLC packages: the For Glory Bundle Unlocked Unlocker, the For Glory Bundle Unlocked, and finally the actual For Glory Bundle, which in fact the user has only a 25℅ chance of gaining access to multiplayer before otherwise having to buy all 3 Bundle's again.

Additional steps Nintendo is taking to create an unrivaled fan experience is their new and improved Gamecube adapters, which Sakurai says will revolutionize the gaming industry. The adapters, which require the user to insert a 25¢ fee before usage, “appeal to the retro gamer inside all of us," according to Sakurai.

The aforementioned ingenious controller adapter

But why even change the adapter at all? What about the other countries that don’t even use US currency? These are probably questions that most of us have, and Sakurai was quick to answer them.

“We felt like this was the change that Smash needed. A quirky way to play your favorite game [while giving us your money]," he said. “As for non-US countries, we will be offering a palpable DLC in which the customer can order US quarters.”

Sakurai concluded by telling us that he is excited to tell us that all of the extra charges in the form of DLC and coin slots are “vital to the integrity [of Smash]” and that they are “well worth the cumulative price of $250”. Time will tell if Nintendo’s new ambitious business model bears any fruit, but people will probably buy into it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Status
While it is pretty obvious that this is satire, this is also clickbait at its finest. It would have been wise to clarify it was a joke article in the title, as I got here by clicking on a link somebody posted on social media.

While it is pretty obvious that this is satire, this is also clickbait at its finest. It would have been wise to clarify it was a joke article in the title, as I got here by clicking on a link somebody posted on social media.
While I don't disagree with this statement, at the same time, it would be nice to see people not react *that* harshly and just express their views for "I would have liked this better if"

William is one of the hardest working writers on the team, and I know that, and he posts serious stuff along with the satire too. The first comments, while making valid points, should have not been directed in a vicious tone. (Not that I'm saying you are, at least from this comment I've seen, which I thank you for being level-headed.)

I apologize if I handled things unprofessionally. If anyone would like to have a civil and honest conversation about this, feel free to PM me.

I apologize if I handled things unprofessionally. If anyone would like to have a civil and honest conversation about this, feel free to PM me.
I think we already established you don't care if it appears you're spreading false information. You're literally trolling, but I guess that's fine for entitled members.

Probably like many people, it's not obvious that this is a joke, and I legitimately thought this was real until I saw how there was no way a 25 cents GC adapter would work.

Still not funny since so many people are anticipating what we will see and get out of Smash For Switch.

Coming from Facebook, it feels dumb that I have to start to read to understand I'm not interested by this fake content.

Well I don't read the articles here, I just come to see if there is anything going on with smash64. Unlike most of you, I had no idea about these apparently "satire" news articles. But I'll stop coming here since you suggested it. I actually believed this was real, not that it'd benefit me at all. I just find it repulsive you'd tell people to leave because they're upset the site is spreading false information as "news". How about keeping this to a thread and not putting it on the front page....

Well either way I'll take your advice and stop visiting smashboards. It's been dead for years anyways. Bye!
"If this sort of thing keeps happening I will stop visiting the site! That'll show you!"

"Ok. I like doing this sort of thing so it will keep happening. Logically you might as well just go ahead and stop visiting then."

"How dare you tell me to stop visiting this site!? You're supposed to do what I say! What's the point of threatening people if I don't get my way???

Please don't be that guy.

Probably like many people, it's not obvious that this is a joke, and I legitimately thought this was real until I saw how there was no way a 25 cents GC adapter would work.

Still not funny since so many people are anticipating what we will see and get out of Smash For Switch.
Well how would they collect the money from the adapter?

And wouldn't the Switch be using cartridges instead of discs?

I think to avoid blow ups like this in the future there should be a tag on the article that says something like satire so that people don't think it's a real article and get mad. I understand that the site is trying new things and that happens to include a lot of comedic articles, however I don't think this is the type of reaction that is wanted to keep the site popular.

I think we already established you don't care if it appears you're spreading false information. You're literally trolling, but I guess that's fine for entitled members.
It's a comedy/satire article. Even yahoo has them on their main page time to time and I highly doubt the writer intended to use it to piss everyone off and for malicious purposes. And why didn't you raise a stink about the other satire articles that has appeared on the site? Nothing is wrong with having them here as long as they are appropriately labeled right.

Even though I disagree the way the writer defended his article, now you are being a huge **** about it. The first few times were fine but you are literally dragging it in the mud - even after the writer apologized how he handled the situation. Just drop it.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before, the Switch and a Sm4sh port for said console is on a lot of peoples' minds right now. The title gives no indication that the article is satire and while the idea the title proposes can be seen as ridiculous, especially for Nintendo and parts in the article itself make it obvious that it's satire (Sakurai agreeing to an interview 'for some reason', the quarters for the gc adapter, the mentioning of discs) that requires actually reading the article to find out.

You see the title and click on it, expecting it to be news. Bad news but news nonetheless. Then you find out it's a joke and if it got a laugh out of ya like 'ooooh it's a joke. damn you wncozens. You got me good haha' then it's all good but if you didn't find it funny then you get literally nothing out of this article. The title fills you with curiosity and possibly dread and then you find out 'lol it's just a joke bro'. If the joke isn't funny then you get nothing out of the article other than your time wasted, not a lot of time but still.

A mentioning in the title that it's for comedy purposes would easily avoid this negative backlash and the only downside is losing the shock factor from readers and potentially character limitation (although adding CC shouldn't be too much trouble).

I support the idea of Comedy Corner even though I myself don't find them entertaining. I checked back at a couple of the older ones and they have way, way more views than pretty much every other actual news article and if people enjoy them and the writer enjoys creating them then by all means, keep them coming. It's just that if negative backlash like what this article got is to be lowered, adding CC to the title couldn't hurt.

Why is everyone whining? Spending your day getting pissy about ANY article is a waste of time. If you have a complaint voice it and move on. Get a life.

Last edited:
Bit of a contradiction there, isn't it? You really think it wasn't obvious a 25 cent Gamecube adapter wasn't fake to everyone? What about the For Glory? Chance for multiplayer? You serious?

Coming from Facebook, it feels dumb that I have to start to read to understand I'm not interested by this fake content.
What? You aren't forced to read anything. If you think you should know everything by just knowing the title of an article you must be one of those people that shares things on Facebook without reading them, smh.

Last edited:
D
I see the whiners have come out of the woodwork to spoil everybody's fun and complain about something satirical and lighthearted. I bet you're the same people who rage whenever somebody links to an article from "The Onion."

This is serious business, y'all!
People just don't like being clickbaited. There are portions of this site where you cannot tell if you are being clickbaited until you actually read a portion of the article and thus wasting someone's time when they were expecting proper news, especially when this site use to mainly post legit news.

They can at least put something in the title. The people who enjoy the satire will still read it, and the people who don't care for it go on their merry business and continue to be happy with the site.

What's the problem with this again?

People just don't like being clickbaited. There are portions of this site where you cannot tell if you are being clickbaited until you actually read a portion of the article and thus wasting someone's time when they were expecting proper news, especially when this site use to mainly post legit news.

They can at least put something in the title. The people who enjoy the satire will still read it, and the people who don't care for it go on their merry business and continue to be happy with the site.

Again, they did. If it does not show up on other portions of the site that is NOT the writer's fault, blame the site.

Last edited:
D

Again, they did. If it does not show up on other portions of the site that is NOT the writer's fault, blame the site.
No, I'm saying the title. The thing people click, a lot of people don't read the description but they'll read the title.

It makes more sense for it to be in the portion people will actually look at it.

No, I'm saying the title. The thing people click, a lot of people don't read the description but they'll read the title.

It makes more sense for it to be in the portion people will actually look at it.
Maybe, but nobody can be blamed but themselves if they choose not to read the description, or the site if it does not allow them. Changing the title in this case would defeat the satirical state of it. Arguably.

The title and the content not being littered with hi by the way this isn't actually real is kind of the point guys. Besides, most of the things you read aren't true anyway.

Last edited:
D
Meanwhile at Nintendo:

I can't wait to take out a loan to play the next Smash Bros.! Thanks, Sakurai!

Last edited by a moderator:
it feels dumb that I have to start to read to understand I
Uh...

Might want to work on phrasing there buddy. This comes off as really dumb. I don't think it's what you meant, but what you typed is hilarious.

Regardless, it's common knowledge that this site posts satire once a week. To the people suggesting labeling the satire articles... that ruins the point of satire. You have to let the reader figure it out as they read. You can't just spell it out for them at the beginning. It ruins the joke.

Complaining about obvious satire is like complaining about a joke a guy on the news made. He's winking at ya the whole time. You just didn't get the hint.

Last edited:
Nice joke, but more seriously
If Nintendo/Sakurai wants "to create an unrivaled fan experience" there is only one thing to do: unified the competitive cmmunity by releasing a game with melee-like engine/pace period!
Any Smash5 game without melee physics on Switch will just kill Tr4sh and all this will just end up with melee on the main stage at EVO and more division.
STOP PLAYING SAKURAI!!!

Last edited:
Well I don't read the articles here, I just come to see if there is anything going on with smash64. Unlike most of you, I had no idea about these apparently "satire" news articles. But I'll stop coming here since you suggested it. I actually believed this was real, not that it'd benefit me at all. I just find it repulsive you'd tell people to leave because they're upset the site is spreading false information as "news". How about keeping this to a thread and not putting it on the front page....

Well either way I'll take your advice and stop visiting smashboards. It's been dead for years anyways. Bye!
There's literally a shot of an arcade quarter slot adapter.

And the opening says it's satire, and it is listed as satire, all while being obviously satire.

If you fell for this for more than a second, you either didn't read, or just read the title and posted.

Besides, why did you click on this article if you apparently only care about Smash 64???

People find the dumbest things to complain about...

Last edited:
Well, it managed to generate drama within the Smashverse so let's trying creating drama within the..... multiverse!!

"Super Smash Bros. Switch Amiibo Parade Breathe of the Wild Sun and Moon Chronicles Confirms Characters from Marvel, Dragon Quest, Overwatch, DC, the 2016 United States General Primaries and General Election, Netflix, and our very own Piko Taro Are Set to Appear on the Nintendo Switch as well as its unique apps X Box Switch, Playstation Switch, and PC Switch and will feature VR capabilities developed by a merger with Sony, Umbrella Corportation, and Feel Good, Inc. according to developer George Lucas."

Last edited:
D

Oh no, you were clickbaited? On the internet? I mean, that must have really ruined your day! For about 30 seconds of your life, you thought Smash on the Switch was going to be entirely DLC. How awful! How much money did you lose again? And think of all that time you wasted reading this useless article that could have been spent on something more productive such as tying your shoes or staring off into space! How are you ever going to get over the trauma?

I hope the next comedy corner is posted in exactly the same manner as this one. Watching people like you whine and waste your time over something so trivial has been way more entertaining than anything I've seen on here in a long time. Thanks for the laughs!

This should be called "Your Worst Nithgmare". Comentarios on people . Nintendo are too much goody goodies to make any mandatory DLC. And especially neveras make pre-designed DLC. All DLC on Nintendo games until now are extra maps and caracthers, additonal missions... Their closest to pre made DLC would be the three campaigns of Fire Emblem Fates, but that are basically three complete games for the price of about two, and they again having the other campaigns bought are 100% innecessary to enjoy the campaing you are playing at the moment. Nintendo knows ho controversial DLC is. They will never cross the line that is the stantard for Play Station and Xbox games, or Arceus forbid, EA "games". Or at the very least they won't do it until many years to come.

There's literally a shot of an arcade quarter slot adapter.

And the opening says it's satire, and it is listed as satire, all while being obviously satire.

If you fell for this for more than a second, you either didn't read, or just read the title and posted.

Besides, why did you click on this article if you apparently only care about Smash 64???

People find the dumbest things to complain about...
Because spreading false news stories is one of the most self destructive things people can do. Especially to a community like smashboards.

People like you are just itching for an argument, if you want to continue flooding these comments with one I don't mind. Just realize I'm going to shut you down each time you respond to me.

Because spreading false news stories is one of the most self destructive things people can do. Especially to a community like smashboards.

People like you are just itching for an argument, if you want to continue flooding these comments with one I don't mind. Just realize I'm going to shut you down each time you respond to me.
Do you really think that a satirical news article just destroyed any and all traffic to this site? Because you and a couple other people seem to be the only ones who are taking this so seriously

Do you really think that a satirical news article just destroyed any and all traffic to this site? Because you and a couple other people seem to be the only ones who are taking this so seriously
I think a prominent member on the forums telling others to leave the site because they dislike false new articles is contributing to lack of traffic.

Status
Top Bottom