• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: 'Smash' For The Switch Will Be Entirely DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, has announced publicly today that Smash for Switch - the newest iteration of the game - will be entirely DLC, or downloadable content. That’s not to say that there isn’t a disk for the game, but it’s just that in order to actually play it you’ll now have to pay a considerable amount extra.

“Players won’t be able to bypass the title screen without paying sufficient funds," Sakurai told Smashboards in an interview he agreed to do for some reason.

Stages, items, soundtracks, trophies, sound FX’s and even a date/time widget, Sakurai says, are all only available as DLC. But perhaps the most impressive change is the “absence of the whole character roster” from the disk itself, with Nintendo opting instead to adopt an entirely DLC system for its playable characters.

Sakurai told us that “removing all of the characters from the game disk” freed up space that the team could then use to “add in specialized in-game messages” asking the user to buy DLC characters.

Smash for Switch’s new multiplayer system will require the user to buy 3 separate DLC packages: the For Glory Bundle Unlocked Unlocker, the For Glory Bundle Unlocked, and finally the actual For Glory Bundle, which in fact the user has only a 25℅ chance of gaining access to multiplayer before otherwise having to buy all 3 Bundle's again.

Additional steps Nintendo is taking to create an unrivaled fan experience is their new and improved Gamecube adapters, which Sakurai says will revolutionize the gaming industry. The adapters, which require the user to insert a 25¢ fee before usage, “appeal to the retro gamer inside all of us," according to Sakurai.

The aforementioned ingenious controller adapter

But why even change the adapter at all? What about the other countries that don’t even use US currency? These are probably questions that most of us have, and Sakurai was quick to answer them.

“We felt like this was the change that Smash needed. A quirky way to play your favorite game [while giving us your money]," he said. “As for non-US countries, we will be offering a palpable DLC in which the customer can order US quarters.”

Sakurai concluded by telling us that he is excited to tell us that all of the extra charges in the form of DLC and coin slots are “vital to the integrity [of Smash]” and that they are “well worth the cumulative price of $250”. Time will tell if Nintendo’s new ambitious business model bears any fruit, but people will probably buy into it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Status
I think a prominent member on the forums telling others to leave the site because they dislike false new articles is contributing to lack of traffic.
He said that in response to someone who said they were gonna stop coming to the site man lol.
I'm 9000% sure that the lack of traffic isn't because of a satirical news article that only a handful of people like you have whined about, but rather because Smash 4 hype has died down after Bayo and Corrin's release

He said that in response to someone who said they were gonna stop coming to the site man lol.
I'm 9000% sure that the lack of traffic isn't because of a satirical news article that only a handful of people like you have whined about, but rather because Smash 4 hype has died down after Bayo and Corrin's release
He told someone to leave the site because they were upset over his false news story. Do you understand how much of a problem that is? This kid has not only made false articles but has went as far as to tell others to leave the site if they don't like it.

Please, don't try to justify his position. Just drop it and go on with your life, you have nothing to gain by trying to argue why OP is right and everyone else is wrong.

User was warned for this post
He told someone to leave the site because they were upset over his false news story. Do you understand how much of a problem that is? This kid has not only made false articles but has went as far as to tell others to leave the site if they don't like it.

Please, don't try to justify his position. Just drop it and go on with your life, you have nothing to gain by trying to argue why OP is right and everyone else is wrong.
Please, don't try to justify your own idiocy. He said that the whiner you seem to sympathize with oh so very much was free to leave the site if he couldn't stand the once-a-week flow of clearly satirical articles.

Grow up and get a sense of humor while you're at it, you pathetic little nugget.

Please, don't try to justify your own idiocy. He said that the whiner you seem to sympathize with oh so very much was free to leave the site if he couldn't stand the once-a-week flow of clearly satirical articles.

Grow up and get a sense of humor while you're at it, you pathetic little nugget.
Tel that to the OP, he's the one who refuses to have any notification of this being satire outside of being on the home page under his description.

Your name is on point with who you are right now.

Tel that to the OP, he's the one who refuses to have any notification of this being satire outside of being on the home page under his description.

Your name is on point with who you are right now.
It's quite simply blatantly satire. If any of the whiny little goblins crying in this topic could read the whole thing and actually take a second to use whatever excuses for brains they might have, even they would be able to see it.

<content redacted>

This should be called "Your Worst Nithgmare". Comentarios on people . Nintendo are too much goody goodies to make any mandatory DLC. And especially neveras make pre-designed DLC. All DLC on Nintendo games until now are extra maps and caracthers, additonal missions... Their closest to pre made DLC would be the three campaigns of Fire Emblem Fates, but that are basically three complete games for the price of about two, and they again having the other campaigns bought are 100% innecessary to enjoy the campaing you are playing at the moment. Nintendo knows ho controversial DLC is. They will never cross the line that is the stantard for Play Station and Xbox games, or Arceus forbid, EA "games". Or at the very least they won't do it until many years to come.
Nintendo released Splatoon in an unfinished state and the rest of the game was drip-fed via DLC updates.

It's quite simply blatantly satire. If any of the whiny little goblins crying in this topic could read the whole thing and actually take a second to use whatever excuses for brains they might have, even they would be able to see it.
Blatantly satire? That's why significantly more people thought it was real than his other threads? It's obvious threads like this need some form of information on the type of news article it is.... Outside of the homepage author description.

Uair Uair (and the rest of you dense types)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Great work dragging this on for four whole pages. You can stop visiting literally anytime.
It's smashboards... but I do agree with that point. The smash64 section for example has terrible information/links for emulators and netplay. Mostly outdated stuff, or incorrect stuff. Nobody seems to care, so I guess the overall quality of the boards is low enough that **** like this is the standard.

I'm sorry, i'll stop posting here now.

Blatantly satire? That's why significantly more people thought it was real than his other threads? It's obvious threads like this need some form of information on the type of news article it is.... Outside of the homepage author description.
People thought it was real at first. Then they actually read past the title, saw the impossible concepts like the GameCube adapter with a 25c fee, then realized it was a joke.
That's the point of a satirical article.

People thought it was real at first. Then they actually read past the title, saw the impossible concepts like the GameCube adapter with a 25c fee, then realized it was a joke.
That's the point of a satirical article.
Maybe we should call this shoddyboards instead of smashboards.

Even with "Comedy Corner" BLATANTLY written in the description, for a moment I still thought this was real (and it kind of hurt me, really...).
I only realized it as I read the title of it a second time: it seemed WAY too improbable for the near future (I wouldn't know about the far future though)

Also because of this, we now have a Melee fan thinking that just because a game won't have Melee's engine/physics/pace means it'll be bad (and he also insults Smash 4 by calling it "tr4sh"... not that I wouldn't have done the same, as I think the character roster in that one is pretty meh compared to previous entries. Also I'm glad that, for once, Brawl wasn't directly insulted).

And yes Smash 4 hype has died down, which was why I left at first. The only reason I'm still here is because of mods, as Nintendo themselves let me down recently with the series (Greninja, Corrin as nothing more than an advertisement, Bayonetta the fake winner...).

Why incite replies? Do you have nothing better to do than to pester me about being upset with OP for deteriorating the sanctity of these boards?
Didn't you say you were gonna leave? Just get it over with so we don't have to deal with you anymore.

Holy ****. Smash is coming to the Switch?!?! When did they announce this?? First Skyrim! And now this?

I hope they add Ridley, Captain Toad, Inkling, Geno; Krystal, Rahman, Sceptile, Lana, Professor Layton, Wolf, Isaac, and more!

That's pretty awesome though. But is it gonna be Super Smash Bros. Switch.

✌︎('ω'✌︎ )
Dude what about goku?

Since no one is able to move past the current topic, which has become very toxic, responses are now locked.

If you have any issues or concerns with the topic or how it was handled or presented, please feel free to PM me. Have a great day.

Status
Top Bottom