• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: 'Smash' For The Switch Will Be Entirely DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, has announced publicly today that Smash for Switch - the newest iteration of the game - will be entirely DLC, or downloadable content. That’s not to say that there isn’t a disk for the game, but it’s just that in order to actually play it you’ll now have to pay a considerable amount extra.

“Players won’t be able to bypass the title screen without paying sufficient funds," Sakurai told Smashboards in an interview he agreed to do for some reason.

Stages, items, soundtracks, trophies, sound FX’s and even a date/time widget, Sakurai says, are all only available as DLC. But perhaps the most impressive change is the “absence of the whole character roster” from the disk itself, with Nintendo opting instead to adopt an entirely DLC system for its playable characters.

Sakurai told us that “removing all of the characters from the game disk” freed up space that the team could then use to “add in specialized in-game messages” asking the user to buy DLC characters.

Smash for Switch’s new multiplayer system will require the user to buy 3 separate DLC packages: the For Glory Bundle Unlocked Unlocker, the For Glory Bundle Unlocked, and finally the actual For Glory Bundle, which in fact the user has only a 25℅ chance of gaining access to multiplayer before otherwise having to buy all 3 Bundle's again.

Additional steps Nintendo is taking to create an unrivaled fan experience is their new and improved Gamecube adapters, which Sakurai says will revolutionize the gaming industry. The adapters, which require the user to insert a 25¢ fee before usage, “appeal to the retro gamer inside all of us," according to Sakurai.

The aforementioned ingenious controller adapter

But why even change the adapter at all? What about the other countries that don’t even use US currency? These are probably questions that most of us have, and Sakurai was quick to answer them.

“We felt like this was the change that Smash needed. A quirky way to play your favorite game [while giving us your money]," he said. “As for non-US countries, we will be offering a palpable DLC in which the customer can order US quarters.”

Sakurai concluded by telling us that he is excited to tell us that all of the extra charges in the form of DLC and coin slots are “vital to the integrity [of Smash]” and that they are “well worth the cumulative price of $250”. Time will tell if Nintendo’s new ambitious business model bears any fruit, but people will probably buy into it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Status
btw, two things should poke out at people that let them know it's all a joke:
1. The NX uses cartridges, not discs as used in the article
2. How on earth would they possibly collect the quarters from the GameCube adapter?

To appease the people that were offended by the article, I added "Comedy Corner" to the title. It is obvious that the article was meant to be humorous, but not everyone was able to tell it was satire. Problem fixed; move on.
Please don't do that without permission next time

The year is 20$$. Everyone plays Smash for Switch to TAS levels of finance management. Port priority has become the sole deciding factor in matches, and is given to the player who sacrifices the most quarters to Nintendo.

Also, Jiggs still hasn't gotten any buffs.

For everyone furious about Smash NX's DLC-only content, did you forgot to read the summary of this post? It reads 'another addition of the Comedy Corner'. So don't take it seriously, it's just a joke. There's the Switch and their games are enough for payback.

And yep, don't post any fake news as jokes again without admin's permission.
Or you are gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:
I'm not telling anyone to leave. I said if you don't like my content, I'm not going to list out all of the reasons why you should. It's your prerogative to leave if you don't like something, I don't need to tell you that.
No one said they disliked your content, you just need to change the title of the article to say it's satirical because we don't need clickbait on the front page of Smashboards. All of this hoopla could've been avoided if you just put the truth in the title, but you won't why?

Really? Fake news on the front of smashboards? I come to this site for actual real news and talk about the game.

Last edited:
D
I see the whiners have come out of the woodwork to spoil everybody's fun and complain about something satirical and lighthearted. I bet you're the same people who rage whenever somebody links to an article from "The Onion."

This is serious business, y'all!

Not sure what to laugh at - Uair being Uair or the writer acting as if this is the holy grail of articles.

It's just a Smashboards article...not the Huffington Post or New York Times. Simmer down.

Cheese and rice! That title spooked me enough to get my heart pumping. There are quite a few companies that actually do make their games entirely DLC. It's never a good sign either.

I'm sure Nintendo knows better than to do that right?...... Right?

Whoa... the rage induced by this article...
Super Smash Bros. Switch is probably happening, and if it does, I'd expect a few new characters, and some long overdue decloning. DLC this time is looking a little less certain, maybe there will be a few stages? Anyway, this article was pretty obviously satire, and I knew it before I even clicked. Nice meme.

Last edited:
Honestly I agree with other comments. This should clearly be marked as satire. Unlike others I assumed it was satire to start given I've heard no confirmations about about it and I did see "Comedy" in the description but I still clicked just to verify.

This isn't The Onion or p4rgaming. It's a legitmate news site for Smash.

Last edited:
They should've had it say Comedy Corner in the title to clear up confusion. I mean I personally thought it was just a comedy corner article the moment I saw it but still.
Some people may never have heard of comedy corner like me. I just come here to check PM'S at the moment. I still assumed it was satire but not many will know that.

Given the current state of gaming, I was fooled for a brief moment into thinking this was real. I'm not mad with the writer or editors, just sad that something this ridiculous could invoke Poe's Law, if only briefly.

I remember when the early incarnations of the news staff was posting articles about Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon X/Y and people jumping onto their keyboards and saying "OH MY GOD THIS ISN'T SMASH NEWS! MARIO KART ISNT SMASH AND SHOULD NOT BE NEWS ARTICLES!!" Or when I posted an article up with the leaked CSS for Smash 3DS. It's so fun to go back to that article and read the responses to how people thought it was "fake as professional wrestling".

D
I'm fine with jokes, but at first, even I was even confused.

I guess it didn't help we're starved to hear about Smash 4 Switch news and I tend to not read the description and only the title of an article before clicking because I rather read the contents of said article in the article.

Inputting something like "CC" in the title somewhere to show it's a comedy corner piece would be nice. Also, I get that this isn't the most professional of news sites, but I feel wncozens wncozens should handle criticism better before engaging with people in a defensive manner.

Most of the people that clicked this article thought it was something else, so I think that speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with what I mentioned earlier and those who brought up reddit, here's what it looks like as soon as I log in on my phone.
Screenshot_2016-11-13-10-37-42.png
The title is immediately visible and can be tapped while the blurb mentioning Comedy Corner isn't visible without scrolling and why scroll when you can just click on the title to read the article.

But ah well, beating a dead horse at this point~

I thought it was real for a while because an all DLC game didn't seem all that unlikely given Smash 4. But yeah the quarter thing was too ridiculous so I knew it was satire once I read that part.

I like these posts honestly. They're funny to read. However, I too think they should be posted in a separate section rather than as headline news. I just clicked quickly and didn't see the satire label since I was excited to hear about possible news for smash 5. Personally, I'm not even that annoyed, but some people might be. So just a heads up.

This is kind of ridiculous. It can all be solved if he just let the admin change the title, which they did, but Mr. Holier-than-thou had to have it reversed. wncozens wncozens , draw them in with your humor, not clickbait my friend.

The thing that pisses me off is he's just using clickbait, not the quality of his article, to get views. A subheading isn't good enough (which isn't even visible on some parts of the website). You can't count on people reading every single word of an article, so at least the title needs to be honest. On the page I'm on right now it doesn't say one thing about this being a parody. The little Comedy Corner blurb at the bottom isn't even there. This is just a total waste of everyone's time.

Excuse me, but I'll just take William's offer and never visit Smashboards again. Thank you for being so welcoming.

I thought it was real for a while because an all DLC game didn't seem all that unlikely given Smash 4. But yeah the quarter thing was too ridiculous so I knew it was satire once I read that part.

I like these posts honestly. They're funny to read. However, I too think they should be posted in a separate section rather than as headline news. I just clicked quickly and didn't see the satire label since I was excited to hear about possible news for smash 5. Personally, I'm not even that annoyed, but some people might be. So just a heads up.
Do you still log onto kaillera?

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, has announced publicly today that Smash for Switch - the newest iteration of the game - will be entirely DLC, or downloadable content. That’s not to say that there isn’t a disk for the game, but it’s just that in order to actually play it you’ll now have to pay a considerable amount extra.

“Players won’t be able to bypass the title screen without paying sufficient funds," Sakurai told Smashboards in an interview he agreed to do for some reason.

Stages, items, soundtracks, trophies, sound FX’s and even a date/time widget, Sakurai says, are all only available as DLC. But perhaps the most impressive change is the “absence of the whole character roster” from the disk itself, with Nintendo opting instead to adopt an entirely DLC system for its playable characters.

Sakurai told us that “removing all of the characters from the game disk” freed up space that the team could then use to “add in specialized in-game messages” asking the user to buy DLC characters.

Smash for Switch’s new multiplayer system will require the user to buy 3 separate DLC packages: the For Glory Bundle Unlocked Unlocker, the For Glory Bundle Unlocked, and finally the actual For Glory Bundle, which in fact the user has only a 25℅ chance of gaining access to multiplayer before otherwise having to buy all 3 Bundle's again.

Additional steps Nintendo is taking to create an unrivaled fan experience is their new and improved Gamecube adapters, which Sakurai says will revolutionize the gaming industry. The adapters, which require the user to insert a 25¢ fee before usage, “appeal to the retro gamer inside all of us," according to Sakurai.

The aforementioned ingenious controller adapter

But why even change the adapter at all? What about the other countries that don’t even use US currency? These are probably questions that most of us have, and Sakurai was quick to answer them.

“We felt like this was the change that Smash needed. A quirky way to play your favorite game [while giving us your money]," he said. “As for non-US countries, we will be offering a palpable DLC in which the customer can order US quarters.”

Sakurai concluded by telling us that he is excited to tell us that all of the extra charges in the form of DLC and coin slots are “vital to the integrity [of Smash]” and that they are “well worth the cumulative price of $250”. Time will tell if Nintendo’s new ambitious business model bears any fruit, but people will probably buy into it anyway.
Do NOT buy this. This is all completely fake!

Status
Top Bottom