• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder, girls DO NOT need to wear skimpy clothing to look good. ;)

Another reminder, body paint (extremely tight clothing) is just as revealing as bikinis.

On topic again, it seems, after all, that most people here are pleased with ZS Samus and also think she's hot. Nothing wrong with that from our own subjective perspective. After all, we're males. But would you like ZS Samus to appear in an own game, completely without the power suit? Would that be a natural evolvement or just down the path where so many stereotype videogame females have gone? Or, has Samus already began walking on that road, thanks to SSBB? As I said, girls can look good and be strong without relying on sex appeal. Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is the perfect example, she makes ZS Samus look like stereotype vg wh*re.

But then, I personally don't have anything against this change. :) She's hot, and I'm gonna have a great time in Camera Mode, haha! It's just that I wonder if Nintendo really knows they've (maybe) passed the line with Samus now. Because I think she's just another of all stereotype vg females now, along with Chun Li, Cammy, Vanessa Z. Schneider, Nina Williams, Rikku and more. Samus is now showing off her body, and I like that. But will that make her character (and Nintendo themselves) less respected? That remains to be seen, but it's definitely possible.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Slugma128 said:
On topic again, it seems, after all, that most people here are pleased with ZS Samus and also think she's hot.
See, that's the problem. Another theme of the Metroid series: you can have a heroine without sex appeal and come out just as popular.

I also don't like how by adding Zamus, they seem to be "finalizing" Samus's look. Before, Samus looked different each game, and I think that's also important for the Metroid series--the appearance isn't as important and by making her look different each time, it keeps her appearance more mysterious and secret, even though it is revealed.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
During Zero Mission, you had to play a part without her power suit. As Suitless Samus. Not the whole game, but a major part, no less. And if we have to look down at her now, why not before? When we knew she got a little skimpy when you had some Metroid skill...

Now a full metroid game with her going full skimpy would be JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------. :p Tada! It's already been done. No skill required, just a codebook.

I think we know that Samus is a grrl (note: I must say grrl because girl must not be in this guys vocabulary!), and, my god, she just might have boobs. I don't think her mammories are going to bite... Also, yes, she has a mighty fine butt. But that is the way women are built.

If this makes her a less respected character, then all I have to say is; It's far too late for you to be disrespecting the woman, faaaaar too late. You're about 20 year late, so late. :p

So there, a Metroid fanboi's full opinion on this silly topic. (loller)

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
This Z Suit samus stuff REALLY pisses me off cause her clothes are no ****ing tighter than Captain Falcon's. Falcon's *** is showing too, but no one gives a ****.

Blazer

Smash Ace
That's cause' Falcon''s a dude and the world is sexist.Show a dude's butt and noone cares, show a girl's and the world lets loose on you.

Rash

Smash Ace
Blazer said:
That's cause' Falcon''s a dude and the world is sexist.Show a dude's butt and noone cares, show a girl's and the world lets loose on you.
Bingo. And it's not just sex either; it can be anything from race, to background.

People are way too sensitive. Too often do they take things the wrong way, and it causes unnecessary arguments, like this one. It gets sickening when the public can't just lighten up about these kinds of "issues." (if you even want to call them that.)

This is Zero Suit Samus, no Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball Samus. She's in a tight suit, big deal. Anyone who takes a look at her and thinks the tight suit's just a tad too edgy needs to clear their head a little bit. :rolleyes:

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=29111522

That is a long and detailed essay on why Samus is a guy. No dirrect links to GFAQs so just copy and paste. :)

I'm just wondering how the feminists of the world will take this whole thing. As someone said, Falcon has an extremely tight suit. He even kicks his leg up in his winning pose to show his crotch. No one has said anything about it, but what happens when some five year old's, feminist mom sees Zamus? Will she start telling all her friends not to let their kids buy Brawl because of it?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
While I agree many people are too sensitive, it's just stupid to compare with the most sexist of them all; DOAX.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I do need to say that people who complain the most about sex appeal and crap are the most perverted people themselves, because they want to see such things in certain things.

Hell, people who can see a phallus on an old Little Mermaid promotional poster, or an arroused priest during the movie, are really perverted. Normal or less perverted people wouldn't notice it.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
GaryCXJk said:
I do need to say that people who complain the most about sex appeal and crap are the most perverted people themselves, because they want to see such things in certain things.

Hell, people who can see a phallus on an old Little Mermaid promotional poster, or an arroused priest during the movie, are really perverted. Normal or less perverted people wouldn't notice it.
Complaining about sexy stuff is stupid. I mean what is it gonna do to children? Make them homosexual? There are plenty of cultures who don't give a **** about it!

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
The priest thing is bogus; it's his knee, not Happy Pants. The castle, though...I'm sorry, but it's uncanny.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Haven't you read what I've said, Paranoid Adroid? Better read before you say something like that again. And as far as my sig concerns, as you can see, Samus has either been to the gym or lost weight between Zero Mission and Brawl.

And really, I feel this has gone too much off-topic. I want the discussion to be more about if this change will change Samus appearance in future games? Will she get a different personality? Will people see her as another stereotype female rather than "one of the few" vg females who aren't showing off? Is this game (considering how popular it'll be) gonna be a turn point for Samus Aran?

I don't mean that in a negative OR positive way, just a question. It think Brawl might be a turn-point for Samus, I think she'll keep changing after this game.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Samus has always been something of a sex object. Wikipedia Samus' name and you'll find out that ever since they've been taking Samus out of her suit, they've been trying to had a sexual appeal to her.

greenblob

Smash Lord
That's just one opinion. Metroid fans would disagree that Samus is about sex appeal. And Wikipedia also says this:
Her defiance of this stereotype (that video game heroines should concentrate on sex appeal) is part of what makes Samus such a highly regarded character.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
I'll make this short. Because as I said, if making her a woman is a bad thing, it's far too late to be complaining now.

Slugma128 said:
I want the discussion to be more about if this change will change Samus appearance in future games?
Look at Metroid Prime 3. I don't see her running around suitless...at all.

Slugma128 said:
Will she get a different personality?
SSBB is a fighting game, I think she would be just a wee bit tense if you had a little angel boy with two swords approche you in a attempt to knock you off screen... :p

Slugma128 said:
Will people see her as another stereotype female rather than "one of the few" vg females who aren't showing off?
Actually, she's still in that "I'm not that regular ol' vg stereotype." If she was in it, I know that the Metroid series would not sell then. Or just sell for the same reasons DOAX does...

Slugma128 said:
Is this game (considering how popular it'll be) gonna be a turn point for Samus Aran?
Many people didn't know who Samus was in SSB, so finding out that Samus is a girl might be a good thing.

I really don't see her changing that much, myself. SSBB isn't the game to change Samus. It's Metroid, where the real story is, not some hooters and a big trunk.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Mr. M said:
That's because they already started making it without the public's reactions to Brawl.

SSBB is a fighting game, I think she would be just a wee bit tense if you had a little angel boy with two swords approche you in a attempt to knock you off screen... :p
I dont there is much personality in fighting games but whatever.

Actually, she's still in that "I'm not that regular ol' vg stereotype." If she was in it, I know that the Metroid series would not sell then. Or just sell for the same reasons DOAX does...
Again, this is because the whole Zamus thing has only been out for two months. There hasn't been much to reveal yet that would change people's perspectives. Plus, her decade long reputation will hang around for a bit, just like Fox's.

Many people didn't know who Samus was in SSB, so finding out that Samus is a girl might be a good thing.
I found it funnier when they thought she was a guy.:)

I really don't see her changing that much, myself. SSBB isn't the game to change Samus. It's Metroid, where the real story is, not some hooters and a big trunk.
Too true. But the future developer's might take Zamus as the standard.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
How many fighting games don't have a character...errr....like Samus?

Street Fighter- Chun Li, Cammy, Rose
DOA- every girl in the game
Soul Caliber- Taki, Ivy
Bloody Roar-Jenny
Darkstalkers- Felicia, Morrigan
Tekken- Nina
Mortal Kombat- Jade, Kitana, Sonya
King of Fighters- Blue Mary, Mature, Angel, Mai, Vanessa

As you can see, it's not too uncommon in fighting games so it's not a big deal. Mortal Kombat isn't know for the female fighters and what they don't wear, and neither is Tekken.

keroku_the_thunderwolf

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this guy, just about every VG has its vixen. but on another hand some of you guys are forgetting, it's how the suit looks on her. Of course i must admit when i first seen ZSS on SSBB i was like 'whoa, she's pretty hot...'. just look at her suit though, being a guy (to all guys here) you cant help but look how busty she is. But, on another scale, of course she's gonna have that. you cant expect her to wear that bacause she wants to, maybe because she has to... same goes for the two piece in super metroid. just like that one guy a few pages earlier said, it would be hard to wear anything else in that suit what with all the weapons and ammo. it's probably to enhance her body movement while in that suit. you only see her like that because she blow her armor off her body,...i think. the only reason she would be a sex object would most likely be because someones mind is in the gutter, but dont blame them. it hard not to look at her "areas".

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Mr. M said:
But Metroid Prime 3 will be released (and was probably started on earlier) earlier than SSBB. I'm talking about future games, ahead of SSBB.

BTW, I found a pic from a Japanese mag (or maybe some marketing) of ZS Samus. If you ask me, the pic oozes sex appeal, and that's not a bad thing! (from my own point of view)

Her butt looks a little out of shape though, it's no wonder why Sakurai firmed it up in SSBB. Although I kinda liked this plumper butt too, in a way... :/

EDIT: And here's what she looked like in Metroid Fusion. Can we all agree now that Samus has always been about sex appeal, but lately Nintendo is showing that off more than ever?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
commonyoshi said:
Too true. But the future developer's might take Zamus as the standard.
If I were an armour wearing girl, or even a male for that matter, and I blew up a space station of the Federation with the intent of blowing up their experiments, I wouldn't like to walk around armourless when they come after me. Especially not on an alien planet with probably some hostile creatures, not to mention an atmosphere which could be different than that of my home world.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
deffinition of sex object : any person regarded simply as an object of sexual gratification.

according to this she isnt, but i like your topic so lets continue with it. what we have here is undeniable proof (if that image is legit) of sex appeal. by the way slugma nice find on the pics. ;) anyway there is sexappeal in the game now, but compared to what we have around now a days, its pretty tame. besides, its a full body suit, regardless of wether its tight, for all we know, it could be a federation standard for bounty hunters... (slaps himself for thinking that) yeah, maybe not.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Marshigio said:

Soul Caliber- Taki, Ivy
Bloody Roar-Jenny
Tekken- Nina

As you can see, it's not too uncommon in fighting games so it's not a big deal. Mortal Kombat isn't know for the female fighters and what they don't wear, and neither is Tekken.
I forgot to add that Zamus is no where NEAR as overdone as these characters are.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
06Falcon said:
for all we know, it could be a federation standard for bounty hunters... (slaps himself for thinking that) yeah, maybe not.
Actually, it could be. For females it has other curves than males though.

And Marshigio, I don't understand why people find Ivy so "**** hot". She's like, very old, as far as I know, and she's scary as hell.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
GaryCXJk said:
Actually, it could be. For females it has other curves than males though.

And Marshigio, I don't understand why people find Ivy so "**** hot". She's like, very old, as far as I know, and she's scary as hell.
um... yeah... i sorta siad it s a joke with a subliminal pun intended, but now that i look at it its kinda dumb, sorry.. by all means it could be a federation standard, but if you think back at the previous games like the original metroid, thats not the case. guess nintendo thought it was too revealing and changed it for zero mission. *brain fart* sorry i was going to say something else but i forgot what.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:

Soul Caliber- Taki, Ivy
Bloody Roar-Jenny
Tekken- Nina

But Samus should be different from them. It's not about public outrage of angry feminists, it's about Samus' image.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
was so sexy about samus?sure i get a
boner
from her,but so what?I get one from zelda also,same with peach.idk what this thread is about nothing is wrong with zsamus(although it should of stayed a mystery that she was a girl)so screw this cuz the pokemon episode beauty and the beach is more disturbing and has alot to do with boobs on a POKEMON episode so just stfu this thread is spam.

note:the spoiler is a nasty word so if you get offended by perverted words dont highlight it

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Samus was meant to be sexy from the start. Play as Armourless Samus in the ORIGINAL NES Metroid. Her outfit leaves very little to the imagination and her ending shows a mere 16 pixels worth of bikini. Now imagine that the original Metroid's graphics were updated to 3D standards. Her outfit would still leave very little to the imagination and her bikini ending would seem right out of the skimpier outfits in Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball. So you see, she was always intended to be sexy like that. It's just that it took this long for technology to be able to portray that.

If anything, she's covered up more, lately (from puny bikini in the original Metroid to tank top bikini in Super Metroid to short shorts and tank top in Fusion to full body suit in Zero Mission and beyond)

Whether or not she qualifies as a sex object as opposed to a videogame character where sex-appeal was obviously intended but not the main draw is another matter.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Lishy said:
i get a
boner
That disturbs me of how you do so.

I don't think Ivy is hot, but many people who've played Soul Caliber seem to think so.

Samus IS different from them, she's mostly known for Metroid, not to be a sex object like the others on my list.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
06Falcon said:
deffinition of sex object : any person regarded simply as an object of sexual gratification.

according to this she isnt, but i like your topic so lets continue with it. what we have here is undeniable proof (if that image is legit) of sex appeal. by the way slugma nice find on the pics. ;) anyway there is sexappeal in the game now, but compared to what we have around now a days, its pretty tame. besides, its a full body suit, regardless of wether its tight, for all we know, it could be a federation standard for bounty hunters... (slaps himself for thinking that) yeah, maybe not.
OK then, but she's darn close from being a sex object I say. Yeah, she's "nothing" compared to the standards today, but then again, is that a good comparsion?

I don't think it's impossible at all that ZS Samus (yes I refuse to write Zamus, as I find as pathetic as "n00b") will be starring in a future game of her own. Let's say ZS Samus becomes really popular in Brawl and gains attention. Don't you think Nintendo will use that popularity and get rid of the power suit? I say there's a good chance for that.

I also say that this game really might become a turn-point for the character Samus Aran.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
Can somone please pm me why she's a sex objeect I never played a metroid game.

I really dont find anything hawt about her im thinking about wario and his um .....repulsivness in brawl.
lol he will use burping farting and what next?barfing?OMG ITS SUPER DAIPER BABIES #2!!!!!!!!!!

the 4th super baby WARIO!

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Lishy said:
Can somone please pm me why she's a sex objeect I never played a metroid game.

I really dont find anything hawt about her im thinking about wario and his um .....repulsivness in brawl.
lol he will use burping farting and what next?barfing?OMG ITS SUPER DAIPER BABIES #2!!!!!!!!!!

the 4th super baby WARIO!
Please spare us from such unserious answers as this.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
so what if theres a circle around her butt cheeks.
she wont be showing off or anything but w/e

maybe they will enable the hentai studio where theres hentai based on the female charactors in brawl.like you need to unlock everything then u get it XDlol @ hentai studio

hentai studio for brawl!

lol now we can look at samus then she will look hawt instead of her blue pj's :p

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Unless they decide on making Super Smash Extreme Volleyball or something for that matter (Extreme Golf FTW!) it would be very unlikely for Samus to walk around without suit.

I'll sum up again WHY it wouldn't work.

FREAKING MORPH BALL
People actually play Metroid because of the Morph Ball, and many other Samus-related features. Metroid isn't Metroid without the Morph Ball. And how would you make a Morph Ball? Exactly.

FREAKING POWER SUIT
Samus isn't Samus without a Power Suit. How could you distinguish Samus from the other female characters? Exactly.

FREAKING METROIDS
It would most definately hurt if a Metroid comes and suck your brains out. Do know that the JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------ cheat is non-canonical, it's just a sprite-swap. Anyway, the Power Suit prevents the Metroids from actually sucking her blood instead of her energy. And what is Metroid without Metroids? Exactly. Metroid Fusion... wait, it did have Metroids...

Top Bottom