• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
GaryCXJk said:
Unless they decide on making Super Smash Extreme Volleyball or something for that matter (Extreme Golf FTW!) it would be very unlikely for Samus to walk around without suit.

I'll sum up again WHY it wouldn't work.

FREAKING MORPH BALL
People actually play Metroid because of the Morph Ball, and many other Samus-related features. Metroid isn't Metroid without the Morph Ball. And how would you make a Morph Ball? Exactly.

FREAKING POWER SUIT
Samus isn't Samus without a Power Suit. How could you distinguish Samus from the other female characters? Exactly.

FREAKING METROIDS
It would most definately hurt if a Metroid comes and suck your brains out. Do know that the JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------ cheat is non-canonical, it's just a sprite-swap. Anyway, the Power Suit prevents the Metroids from actually sucking her blood instead of her energy. And what is Metroid without Metroids? Exactly. Metroid Fusion... wait, it did have Metroids...
samus is a girl,she likes fashion dont forget.she isnt always wearing her armor do you know how much it hurts to:
a)actually curl into a ball
b)walk around in armor 24/7 when it is kinda not as easy to breath
c)walk around with a really sweaty armor

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
GaryCXJk said:
Unless they decide on making Super Smash Extreme Volleyball or something for that matter (Extreme Golf FTW!) it would be very unlikely for Samus to walk around without suit.

I'll sum up again WHY it wouldn't work.

FREAKING MORPH BALL
People actually play Metroid because of the Morph Ball, and many other Samus-related features. Metroid isn't Metroid without the Morph Ball. And how would you make a Morph Ball? Exactly.

FREAKING POWER SUIT
Samus isn't Samus without a Power Suit. How could you distinguish Samus from the other female characters? Exactly.

FREAKING METROIDS
It would most definately hurt if a Metroid comes and suck your brains out. Do know that the JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------ cheat is non-canonical, it's just a sprite-swap. Anyway, the Power Suit prevents the Metroids from actually sucking her blood instead of her energy. And what is Metroid without Metroids? Exactly. Metroid Fusion... wait, it did have Metroids...
She could turn into the morph ball without her power suit in the original Metroid. ;) Samus is, today, Samus even without her power suit. This is changing, and Brawl will change it. And last, who said it would be a part of the main series? Ever heard of spin-offs?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------ cheat isn't canonical. It doesn't count. She isn't some sort of magical girl you know.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Yeah OK. But still, spin-offs with ZS Samus. I think we'll se those in the future.

fluffy

Smash Champion
well not really cuz u cant look under zamus' skirt cuz she doesnt really hav 1. peach and zelda made ppl curious.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
still why is zs samus a sex object?I dont know much of samus.only games with samus i played are megaman vs samus and ssb

greenblob

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Samus was meant to be sexy from the start. Play as Armourless Samus in the ORIGINAL NES Metroid. Her outfit leaves very little to the imagination and her ending shows a mere 16 pixels worth of bikini. Now imagine that the original Metroid's graphics were updated to 3D standards. Her outfit would still leave very little to the imagination and her bikini ending would seem right out of the skimpier outfits in Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball. So you see, she was always intended to be sexy like that. It's just that it took this long for technology to be able to portray that.

If anything, she's covered up more, lately (from puny bikini in the original Metroid to tank top bikini in Super Metroid to short shorts and tank top in Fusion to full body suit in Zero Mission and beyond)

Whether or not she qualifies as a sex object as opposed to a videogame character where sex-appeal was obviously intended but not the main draw is another matter.
She's supposed to be attractive, but selling Samus' sex appeal is wrong. By exposing her all the time as Zamus, that's exactly what's happening. It's like someone saying that your attractive female friend should always wear tight spandex or a bikini, but worse because Samus has a reputation, role model status, and a moral standard to uphold.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
zs samus isnt a playable charactor though its not fully selling.

they are working how she will be activated

FooTemps

Smash Cadet
um... did you guys ever consider the fact that Zamus is in her skimpy little outfit for a practical reason? She can't really wear jeans and t-shirt under her normal armor after all.

If you look at Iron Man, there are several comic series where he is complaining about how he has to strip down, change into spandex with nerve interfaces, and then put on his armor. This is probably the same for Samus. From a technical standpoint, she needs a low profile suit which allows for better tolerances for the armor.

greenblob

Smash Lord
FooTemps said:
um... did you guys ever consider the fact that Zamus is in her skimpy little outfit for a practical reason? She can't really wear jeans and t-shirt under her normal armor after all.
But then she has armor over it.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Lishy said:
still why is zs samus a sex object?I dont know much of samus.only games with samus i played are megaman vs samus and ssb
Because she has boobs and a nice ***. That's generally what entails a sex object, as long as it's not covered up by a lot of clothing.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
TDub301 said:
Because she has boobs and a nice ***. That's generally what entails a sex object, as long as it's not covered up by a lot of clothing.
Close. A nice back and front make a a woman sexy. Flaunting it makes her a sex symbol.

Peach and Jade (BG&E) are sexy. They are not sex symbols.

Lara Croft, the DOA girls, and Tennis Peach flaunt their sexiness. That makes them sex symbols.

Zamus doesn't flaunt. No jiggle, no wiggle, no double-Ds. Her body paint is what's expected under the suit. Sexy? Yes. Sex symbol? No.

Why is this topic still open?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
greenblob said:
Samus has a reputation, role model status, and a moral standard to uphold.
Frankly, I always thought this came from a subliminal "lessor of two evils" reasoning that no one was willing to admit, deep down. Because Samus basically literally gives you a strip tease for doing a good job in every game she's in. So it's basically choosing between girls who's sex appeal is in your face all the time, or a girl who only gets you laid after a day's hard work if you've performed well. Which I guess isn't that bad a moral, but still not exactly something I'd say is very wholesome.

Of course, now in Smash Bros, she's the former (sex appeal in your face all the time), which is still indeed worse, but I still don't think the latter was THAT moral so much as people wanted to believe it was because there literally was no other option (except maybe rare RARE instances like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, but there's a reason why that game got an award for Best Game No One's Ever Played. Because no one's ever played it!)

greenblob

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:
Frankly, I always thought this came from a subliminal "lessor of two evils" reasoning that no one was willing to admit, deep down. Because Samus basically literally gives you a strip tease for doing a good job in every game she's in. So it's basically choosing between girls who's sex appeal is in your face all the time, or a girl who only gets you laid after a day's hard work if you've performed well. Which I guess isn't that bad a moral, but still not exactly something I'd say is very wholesome.

Of course, now in Smash Bros, she's the former (sex appeal in your face all the time), which is still indeed worse, but I still don't think the latter was THAT moral so much as people wanted to believe it was because there literally was no other option (except maybe rare RARE instances like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, but there's a reason why that game got an award for Best Game No One's Ever Played. Because no one's ever played it!)
This is the general consensus: The first time, it was mainly to surprise the little 10-year-old future hardcore Metroid fans. Then it became a tradition. If the endings were not to be included in the next Metroid games, the main complaint from true Metroid fans would be that it breaks tradition, not that we can't see Samus half-naked again. And again, by tradition, Samus should only appear armorless at the endings, or at most as a trophy.

If you do not wish to read any of my previous arguements or any of my future ones, just know that this is where I stand: Samus' image is perfect the way it is, and if there's any move to put Samus into a role even slightly resembling that of someone like Lara Croft (which includes staying out of her suit in gameplay for an indefinite amount of time), I'm 100% against it.

SuperSmashMistress

Smash Cadet
From my perspective, Samus most certainly isn't being flaunted as a sex symbol. I can't say I know how the mind of a male gamer works, but I do know when developers 'over-do' parts of the woman's figure.

Yes, Samus has boobs. w00t-w00t? Her back side is..well, a butt that obviously shows that she's in very good shape like she should be. You seriously don't want to see out of shape, saggy Sammy, do you? o_O I don't, gender aside.

I really don't mind seeing Samus like this. I think it's cool, actually. I've never really got into the Metroid series, so this is a nice new look for our first femme smasher in the game (and I know my dad can't call her a him this time)

If I utterly, almost to the T repeated someone else, sorry. >> I just didn't wanna read all 15 pages of the same argument.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
You all have good points. Nope, she can't wear a tshirt and jeans under that armor, gotta be something low-profile and not taking up space. And yes, of course we'd rather see a Samus in good shape than an ugly Samus. But like it or not, she is going to turn into a sex symbol. It doesn't matter whether she flaunts it because she's a video game character. You control her, whoever is playing her can flaunt it all he (or she) wants. Did they do it on purpose? Maybe, like I said many pages ago, they probably had other motives behind Zero Suit Samus, but probably saw the whole sexy woman in Brawl thing as an added plus that will bring more fans, start interest in "spin-off" Metroid games, and start to kill their "kiddie" image.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Have you people never even considered WHY Nintendo made her from the start? I'm sure Nintendo made Samus a woman to be able to pixelate a woman. Think of it.

In the original Metroid, why couldn't there as well be a guy under that suit? OK, Nintendo wanted to make a strong woman, and I understand that. But do you really think Nintendo would've let a man strip down in every game like Samus has done? I don't think so. It's all because Samus is a woman, and when I really go back and think of it, she has ALWAYS been a sex object, just more conservative than most of us are used to see.

If Samus would've been a man in the first Metroid, he would just have made some cool pose in the ending. But since they made Samus a woman, of course she had to strip. Because she's a woman, and a sex object.

I often hear Nintendo fans rambling about how Samus is innocent and pure compared to, let's say, Lara Croft. That's just bs. Samus is just as much of a sex object as Lara, but in a more conservative way.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Slugma128 said:
OK then, but she's darn close from being a sex object I say. Yeah, she's "nothing" compared to the standards today, but then again, is that a good comparsion?

I don't think it's impossible at all that ZS Samus (yes I refuse to write Zamus, as I find as pathetic as "n00b") will be starring in a future game of her own. Let's say ZS Samus becomes really popular in Brawl and gains attention. Don't you think Nintendo will use that popularity and get rid of the power suit? I say there's a good chance for that.

I also say that this game really might become a turn-point for the character Samus Aran.
i say no, because the metroid series is not the metroid series without the power suit, and as someone else said, morph ball. they will never get rid of the power suit in metroid games.

yes, it will mark a turning point, she will be known as a woman, and not a man. ;)

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, that's true! ;) (woman-man thing)

But you don't think Metroid will evolve beyong morph balls and power suits? Look at Resident Evil, it evolved beyond zombies and pre-rendered backgrounds. So why don't you think Metroid can evolve?

I think Samus will eventually lose her power suit, and look like she does in this game in the future. It's still Metroid, but evolved.

magar

Banned via Administration
People & Sex :p
OMFG, So She's A Sexy Wana **** Girl
I Mean, I would **** her any day.
But, That Doesnt Mean Its Going To Ruin The Game Or Future Games To Come!

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Samus being revealed as a woman in the first Metroid had no ulterior motive as everyone agrees on. It is what people think it is. A surprise that she's a woman! She removes her helmet, reveals she is a woman, and wow!

What people forget, however, is that if you played farther than that, then Nintendo took it farther than that. Okay, so Samus takes off her helmet and reveals that she's a woman. Not sexual at all! But then you play as her armourless as a reward. She's wearing... some sort of legless outfit. Okay, so she'd need to wear this to be in her armour. Fair enough.

But then you beat the game again and she strips down into a bikini.

Let me repeat.

You beat the original Metroid as armourless Samus, and she strips down into a bikini for you

We already KNEW she was a woman when she removed her helmet the first time we beat the game! We already KNEW she was a woman when we played as her armourless as a reward for doing so! So WHY did Samus have to strip down further after that? Is it some stripping trend for beating the game more and more? ...well, okay, it probably was, but it was also for SEX... appeal.

Somehow, I really don't see a girl stripping down into a bikini for you for beating the game a second time as a very ideal pure moral role-model thing. And hence why I still think all this idealizing idolizing of Samus as the perfect moral female role-model is really a case of choosing the lessor of two evils. People just conveniently forget (or perhaps never knew in the first place) that even as far back as the original game, Samus did absolutely unnecessary (because by that point we've already seen helmetless Samus and played as armourless Samus) stripping to flaunt her sexual assets (as much as a Nintendo Entertainment System could do).

It still wasn't anywhere near as bad as Lara Croft, of course, but it is something that is conveniently forgotten.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
it did evolve. from 2d to 3d for the prime games. no i dont think it will ever evolve beyond morphball, and the power suit, and thats because its metroid. the reason people like metroid, is because people like the power suit and the morphball, metroids, and the enemies. i mean, what other game lets you do the things you can in metroid?

magar

Banned via Administration
Tiamat said:
Samus being revealed as a woman in the first Metroid had no ulterior motive as everyone agrees on. It is what people think it is. A surprise that she's a woman! She removes her helmet, reveals she is a woman, and wow!
Exactly, The First Time I Played Metroid, I Thought She Was A Robot!
A Cy-Borg Like Character, Untill I Died On Super Metroid
But, This Is A Super Smash Bros. Message Board, Not A Metroid One :p
Its Prof That Shes A Sexy Wana **** Woman

wii are the people

Smash Rookie
nentendo is first and formost a kids comepeny. do u thank thay had sex object in mind when makeing
her.no thank about it. when conker 64 came out thay damanded a HUDGE m and a warning label
and the olny ads of it was in play boy and late night shows. thay did not even talk about it in the nentendo power mag. the last thing going through thare mind was sex object nor my mind. the olny thing i am wondering is why u have a problem. :laugh: :bigrocket
p.s. bad speller i am

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Not in the original Metroid after you beat it with Armourless Samus.

wii are the people said:
nentendo is first and formost a kids comepeny. do u thank thay had this in mind when makeing her.no thank about it.
Then why the bikini ending after beating the game as Armourless Samus in the original "first and foremost" Metroid?

Again, the bikini ending is the SECOND ending you get (not including Justin Bailey passwords). You've already gotten her removing her helmet and revealing she was a woman by then. You've already seen (and played as) her armourless by then. The only reason POSSIBLY remaining for having a bikini ending after that was sex appeal.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
A sex object is nothing but a person (or thing) that people look at and start thinking about sex. Many little kids are going to get Brawl, look at Zamus, and think of sex. It's going to happen. Nintendo knows this, too, they've been making games for a long time and know how kids will react. So in this sense, yes, she will be a sex object, like it or not. It won't destroy Brawl, it'll just make it more mature (or less mature, depending on how you look at it) and probably help because let's face it, most kids parents let them get M rated games, so putting the M on it won't mean that it won't be any less as popular, if anything it'll help it be more popular. And yes, Samus just took her suit off, but did she have to? The developers decided to have her wearing a sexy bikini under the suit, why? To show her off. At least now she isn't wearing a bikini under the armor, she's wearing spandex. And the Metroid series will always have the power suit and morph ball, but there could be spin-off games with Zero Suit Samus (or bikini Samus) that aren't Metroid games. That's what a spin-off is: same character, different story.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
TDub301At least now she isn't wearing a bikini under the armor said:
Yeah, at least she's wearing body paint now, and not a bikini anymore...

Of course there can be Metroid without the morph ball and the power suit. Don't you think zombies WERE Resident Evil? But Capcom threw them away in RE4. You're just too consevative to realize that Nintendo might change Samus, and let her step out of that power suit forever. And the reason? To show that she's a woman...LOL! Not really, more to show of her body in skin tight clothing, cause that sells.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Can people PLEASE STOP referring to DOA all the time??? It's the most sexist game out there of them all. It seems that some people think like "If it's not like DOA, then it isn't that bad..."

That's so wrong!

hue_jass

Smash Cadet
in conclusion, it doesn't matter and it's not the end of the world. It might be considered in poor taste to the more prudish but it's just a video game. I don't think this is a show stopper or will interupt the game play. It took me till the end of super metroid to realize she was female...

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
What's DOA? I dont play any M rated games so I'm not familiar with the abreviations.

This Samus thing isn't the first thing Nintendo has done to mature their immage. Some guy's sig has a Nintendo booth girl wearing a "Touching is good" shirt. If this wasn't intentional, then they are really stupid.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
What's DOA? I dont play any M rated games so I'm not familiar with the abreviations.

This Samus thing isn't the first thing Nintendo has done to mature their immage. Some guy's sig has a Nintendo booth girl wearing a "Touching is good" shirt. If this wasn't intentional, then they are really stupid.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? DOA is Dead or Alive. As I ask, how could you make her not sexy without her being weird? You cannot fix Zamus and she's not in a bikini so it isn't entirely sex appeal. Some cultures don't give a **** so why should we? Blubbering over sex is just stupid since everyone is sexy and has parts. :psycho:

greenblob

Smash Lord
OK, so let's say the ending of the original Metroid was for a bit of sex appeal. At least it was limited. Putting Zamus in SSBB is going way overboard.

Just today, around a year before the estimated game release, when I got together with a few friends to play some Smash, I picked Samus. Immediately someone said something sexist against Samus and another person suggested that I play Samus just because I'm supposedly attracted to her. This has never happened before--I've played Samus against these people a few months back and they said absolutely nothing. They also knew that Samus is a woman before they saw the trailer; I casually told them about it while playing Fusion several years back. Yes, it was a playful, casual tease, but still, it disturbed me. Having Zamus in the game could change people's view of Samus for the worse.

Top Bottom