• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
~Marth said:
Well, I think about it another way, too. Samus used to be so "cool", having a mysterious life and being a heroine. I guess they're not, but it seems to take away some of all that cool "mystery aurora" surrounding her life. I just wonder if the creators of Zero Mission realized this.

But for a lot of video game companies, the "bigger boobs", "bigger sales". I know that that's just not right, but that's how it is in this twisted world... :dizzy:
its for marketing in the U S. you see it still a matter of wether a country sees this as sex appeal or not. and the suit may not be seen the same way in America as it is seen Japan.

Rash

Smash Ace
It was a concept video for christ's sake! That's it!

When you're actually playing the game, you'll hardly even notice the fact that Zamus is wearing a skin-tight suit that shows her "curves." This is Smash Brothers, remember? It's fast and hectic. It's not not like the game is going to feature several movies that show Zamus is various poses or anything.

~TILT~

Smash Journeyman
when i saw Zero suit samus the first thought that went thru my head was "awesome shes got a sword" not "awesome she has boobs now :D"
i guess it really depends on how perverted u r to see it differently

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
speaking off which, yeah my first thought when i saw ZSS was "yay, no sheik" and "whip sword = no belmont?? nooo!!" id seen the zero suit before. it looks like any other "ima get in a mech or robot thing" suit. your not exactlly jumping in robot armor in a tuxedo or evening gown. you usually see her unsuited at the end of each game. and you see a very model-similar ZSS version of her in echos at the end.

and to whoever said the "samus mysterious" crap. whens the last time you played metroid? like 90% fo samus life has been explained. matter of factly, most of that was explained IN zero mission. wiki that sh** ,please.

side note: if i ever hear someone go "omg samus is a girl?!" when i play brawl i will gouge their eyes with my thumbs. :psycho: :psycho:

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
I really can't see Zero Suit Samus appearence in Brawl affecting any of the future Metroid games or her image. If anything, I think the addition helps Samus as it brings more recognition to the Metroid series and reminds/informs people that she is one of the first great female video game characters. So they put her in something more revealing then a cyborgnetic suit. Big deal. They could have gone a lot worse and chosen an outfit from one of her other games that was more revealing then this. Instead, they choose the one that covers the most skin. Yes maybe it is skin tight, but what could they do about that? Its not like they could make a completely new outfit for her to wear because that would just cause fans to go into another uproar about how Sakurai messed up her image. But the fact remains that Metroid games are about shooting things in the power suit, collecting power ups, etc. I really doubt that in a few years now Metroid Prime 4 will come out featuring Samus wearing revealing clothes and seducing space pirates instead of blasting them with missles.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, yes, I know that everyone knows that Samus is a girl. But in keeping with the Metroid tradition, one should never overtly talk about this fact unless it's within context of a serious discussion of Samus' past. You just don't say, "Hey, guess what, Samus is a girl!!! LMAO!" every 10 seconds, and by adding Zamus, that's what Nintendo is doing, among other things.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
If a male don't react at ZS Samus's boobs, then that person is either too young or have no balls! :p

It's a hectic game, and not DOAX. But don't forget Camera Mode...or if the trophies makes a return...or the ability to simply press START and rotate the camera...

Also, if you look at the only two in-game screenshots of ZS Samus, one of them is a breast shot, and the other a butt shot! :p I don't think Nintendo's intention with her in this game can be any more clear.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Well, she is clearly not wearing normal underwear under that blue suit (since it slips in bewteen her buttocks), and that suit is shaped like a thong in itself...so yeah...

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
This is quite possibly the worst thread ever made. Anyone throwing a fuss about keeping a video game female character conservative is just stupid. What, a female isn't supposed to look sexy? It's the world man, men AND women both often try and achieve appealing, clean looks. What a woman isn't supposed to wear tight clothing? You want them to all wear long dresses that cover them to their ankles? Jesus man.

And for god's sake it's a casual space suit, it's not like they are throwing her out in a two piece bikini sharing strawberries with peach while having individual bounce physics on each breast that function independantly. Please shut the **** up.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Pancho <BL DOGG> said:
This is quite possibly the worst thread ever made. Anyone throwing a fuss about keeping a video game female character conservative is just stupid. What, a female isn't supposed to look sexy? It's the world man, men AND women both often try and achieve appealing, clean looks. What a woman isn't supposed to wear tight clothing? You want them to all wear long dresses that cover them to their ankles? Jesus man.

And for god's sake it's a casual space suit, it's not like they are throwing her out in a two piece bikini sharing strawberries with peach while having individual bounce physics on each breast that function independantly. Please shut the **** up.
Yeah, right on! All video game women should have D-cups, wear tight clothing, and only be concerned with looks. In fact, change that to all women.

Again, the main focus isn't about Samus wearing something revealing, although that does tie into the point. It's about Samus' image as a video game heroine.

kabloodysun

Smash Apprentice
This is being taken way to seriously. You have to remember that Nintendo is a COMPANY <ubercapzorz/>. What do companies want to do? SELL SELL SELL! so if they can make money by showing Samus without the suit they will do it. We might as well make a thread about how sexually explicit Wario showing his belly button on the SSBB commercial is.

greenblob

Smash Lord
kabloodysun said:
This is being taken way to seriously. You have to remember that Nintendo is a COMPANY <ubercapzorz/>. What do companies want to do? SELL SELL SELL! so if they can make money by showing Samus without the suit they will do it. We might as well make a thread about how sexually explicit Wario showing his belly button on the SSBB commercial is.
Exactly why the cultlike Metroid fanbase won't accept Zamus.

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
greenblob said:
Yeah, right on! All video game women should have D-cups, wear tight clothing, and only be concerned with looks. In fact, change that to all women.

Again, the main focus isn't about Samus wearing something revealing, although that does tie into the point. It's about Samus' image as a video game heroine.
If you had taken the time to thoroughly read the second part of my statement, you would notice you and people of your ilk are throwing a fit over nothing. It happens with the male characters too, look at characters like Link or Super Man. They are pictoresque images of male perfection through the eyes of a woman, and Superman even has a bulge in his underwear. It goes both ways, but nobody ever makes a fuss about that. All Zamus is wearing is a casual space suit, she is not showing massive amounts of cleavage on her upper breast, she isn't expressing any personal sexuality (as with my previous statement, you don't see her in a 2 piece bikini with individual bounce functions on each breast feeding strawberries to Peach and Zelda with a very sexually pleasing look on her face) and she does not have the most humongous breasts, they are seriously just breasts... youd think she has em...sigh. It's a super stupid argument, end of story regardless of what excuse you can type up to make this discussion continue. Nothing is going to happen to Samus, and Samus isn't being portrayed as a ****. Good heavens.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Link and Superman aren't Samus, nor do they have Samus' reputation.
The suit is just as revealing as a bikini.
If it's no obvious to you that Nintendo is trying to sell Samus' sex appeal, I think you should have another look at the trailer and the way it zooms in on her butt. Also, going from revealing herself only at the best endings to wearing a skin-tight ultra-thin body suit for a whole battle is a big transition.

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
You need to wakeup and realize how stupid this argument is.

*covers face with hand and runs it down slowly*

Ninja Vanish

*poof*

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
why cant they make samus look hawt?after all in 1 of the video game she SUDUCCED one of the people in1 of the metroid games

thats her personality shes a ****+horny boys=buisnuss

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, I believe that when the reputation of a highly regarded Nintendo icon is at stake, the issue is worth arguing about. You can have your own opinions about this statement.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
greenblob said:

In my opinion, that isn't D-cup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't D-cups supposed to be, like, bigger? It's C at the most.

God, we're talking about cup sizes now...

Also, Captain Falcon isn't Samus, yet he doesn't have a "valid" reason why he should be in a skin-tight suit.

Making a difference is sexist. Period.

Not to mention perverted.

greenblob

Smash Lord
GaryCXJk said:
In my opinion, that isn't D-cup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't D-cups supposed to be, like, bigger? It's C at the most.

God, we're talking about cup sizes now...

Also, Captain Falcon isn't Samus, yet he doesn't have a "valid" reason why he should be in a skin-tight suit.

Making a difference is sexist. Period.

Not to mention perverted.
Samus has plenty more reasons than Falcon to NOT be in a skin-tight suit. And the arguement is not sexist. Let's say Zelda was put in a revealing dress in the trailer. There would be no arguement because she doesn't have Samus' reputation either.

The D-cup thing was an exaggeration. You get my point. There's no reason to pick on every little unimportant detail, especially when it's obvious that it's an exaggeration.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
21 pages? wtf?

because this thread has inspired me, i have chosen to use samus as my main in ssbb because she's hot.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
reputation!? you mean like uhh.. being a princess? bounty hunters usually wear WAY higher class things than those scantily clad princesses (?!?!?)

matter of factely, were all a bunch of guys arguging over wither or not a fictional characters costume is "too sexy" for some audience OTHER than ourselves. (for some reason)

my g/f thinks ZSS is cool, she likes her whip/saber. and says "shes wearing more than most other fighting game girls"

so uhh.... morrigan, felicia, any doa girl, R.Mika, nina and anna. yeah whatever.

also, use logic. girls like sex appeal to some degree. do you see us guys jumping to play the fat ******** characters who have the worst moves and are completely unattractive?

ie: xmen, who plays the blob in the game?? NO ONE. double edged sword.

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
greenblob gets negative rep from me, other people should do the same

he still thinks the reputation of a highly regarded nintendo icon is at stake, kids these days...

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
Soanevalck said:
greenblob gets negative rep from me, other people should do the same

he still thinks the reputation of a highly regarded nintendo icon is at stake, kids these days...

Agreed. Actually we should all make a solemn oath here and now that if we ever play against greenblob online that all of us will use nothing but ZS Samus against him, jut to annoy the **** out of him.

and choknator, touche, I will use Zero Suit Samus now simply because she's ultra hot and to annoy people who are making a big deal out of a very nice body shape.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
While I too like that Nintendo made ZS Samus a sex object (or sex appeal, if you want) I'm a little worried about some of your comments about women.

You think women only exists to be looked at? What about women who don't look good? Are they worthless in your eyes? Also, remember that todays tight clothing is a pretty new fashion, only 10-15 years old. In the eighties, women didn't wear pants and jeans that hugged their figure like they do today. Thongs weren't very usual either. But you know what? Women was lovely back in the eighties, too.

What I wanted to say about this (and it's pretty self-critical, too) is that women shouldn't be looked at like some objects. Sure, it's better to look good than look bad, but today people are focusing so **** much just on looks, that many "ugly" people feel really bad.

However, and back on topic, this is a game. It's just polygons. But still, you shouldn't underestimate videogame characters influence on people. Just look at cosplay, people who dresses up as their favourite characters. So sure, it's just a game. But then again, gaming characters DO HAVE strong influence on people. Lara Croft created an hysterical phenomenom thanks to her big boobs. And look at how people have been going on about which characters should be included in this game! People care about videogame characters, and vg characters influence people.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Most are still missing one point.

Samus NEEDS to wear this "revealing" outfit. Why? Think about it. Why would a racer wear a skin-tight suit? It's not because they would look sexy. Why would a diver wear a skin-tight suit? Or a ninja in an exoskeleton with a katana, who has currently three owners, for which two are now dead, for that matter.

It's all about agility. A big armour isn't too mobile, and having loose clothes would surely not benefit to this agility. Skin-tight is the only sollution. She could also go in the nude if that's what you want, but she does need to at least wear something in which she could move freely. And a skirt just won't do. Neither would jeans.

I mean, have you ever tried to run the marathon with jeans? Have you even seen people run the marathon with jeans at all? Or those baggy pants, or a skirt for that matter? Nintendo knows that they could have done it, but seeing as Metroid already is absurd, they wanted to add at least some logic to it.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
You're right, GaryCXJk. But there's difference between tight and tight. A racer wear a thight outfit, but not as tight as ZS Samus's. Shiek wore a tight outfit (she was agile as hell), but not as tight as ZS Samus's. Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden wears a tight outfit, but not as tight as ZS Samus's. You get it now, I hope... :p

It didn't have to be THAT tight, if it wasn't for the sake of Nintendo making Samus a sex object/appeal (depends on who you ask) and their poser girl. I mean, you can totally see every little curve of her butt and boobs. It's so tight her boobs are in their natural shape, it's like Taki in Soul Calibur II. Of course it's meant to show off her sexy curves.

EDIT: Also, why is that blue suit shaped like a thong back there? There's absolutely no practical need for that, it's just to make her look sexy. Nothing wrong with that, but don't try to say that this wasn't Nintendo's intention!

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
Im not going to even bother replying to that. For a person who is making himself out to be intelligent you sure are taking this WAY out of proportion. The sad thing is I cannot possibly show you how absurd this topic is, it's something you just wake up and realize for yourself. Sigh, Im done with this thread and I really suggest everyone just let the thread die peacefully, because this is getting pathetic.

Skler

Smash Master
Slugma128 said:
You're right, GaryCXJk. But there's difference between tight and tight. A racer wear a thight outfit, but not as tight as ZS Samus's. Shiek wore a tight outfit (she was agile as hell), but not as tight as ZS Samus's. Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden wears a tight outfit, but not as tight as ZS Samus's. You get it now, I hope... :p
Actually, I would say captain falcon has a suit even tighter then Zamus. Ya know, you can see his abs, and probably his nipples if you zoom in close enough (I haven't checked, sickos). Zamus on the other hand does not have a suit so tight as to show off her abs (which we know she has from the other Metroid games). So remember, Captain Falcon still wears a tighter suit.

@everybody saying BUT SAMUS IS MYSTERIOUS!!1one!11!!
Umm, does wearing a skintight suit make her less mysterious? I was pretty sure her body wasn't mysterious anymore after beating the first Metroid but maybe it re...mysteriousized (real word?) itself later on. It's not like SSB is telling everybody about Samus's life, its just showing them her body (which we have already seen).

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
the suit is nothing to get worked up about, she has the suit for two reasons, because any loose clothing would be bad for her if she wanted to operate her power suit properly, and for sex appeal

she's still a mysterious badass women, stop trying to look for specific coincidences about her

the only reason i would complain about samus being ruined is if she was smiling, which she is obviously not, just look at her expression and tell me if that makes her look any less mysterious

Sengheili

Smash Rookie
Samus should be feminine, but I gotta wonder at her equipment:

A ponytail is barely a compensation for having to cram her hair into that helmet, I imagine her hair would be shorter. Not butchy, necessarily, just shorter.

I've always wondered how Samus fit in her suit to begin with. Her suit's legs are relatively thin. It may just be an effect created by her ginormous shoulders, though. Skin-tight undersuit I can buy. Boobs that large fitting into her suit, I dunno.

EDIT: Captain Falcon's nipples are showing.

greenblob

Smash Lord
A short personal history of Metroid:
I began playing Metroid II and Super Metroid at around late elementary school/early middle school. Metroid was the second video game series I've really gotten into, after Kirby. I thought this series was great, and I played the three currently available games over and over again. Soon I entered puberty. I still played video games, and by that time I had played a wide variety of them, including several with heroines, kinda like Samus. But I noticed that Samus is different from all of the other heroines. She didn't wear revealing clothing in combat. She didn't even expose her face until the ending sequences. Yet she was cooler than all of them combined. Samus was above sex appeal. She didn't need to jiggle her boobs, shake her hips, or even look sexy to be a great video game heroine. This made me love the games even more. From a online consensus at that time (it was the eve of the Prime and Fusion releases), it appeared that most Metroid fanbase agreed with my thinking.

Now Nintendo is trying to make Samus succumb to the level of other video game heroines and sell sex appeal. Being the Metroid fan that I am, of course I'd raise an alert and argue in favor of the "old Samus."

Now to reply to some of the other comments...

matter of factely, were all a bunch of guys arguging over wither or not a fictional characters costume is "too sexy" for some audience OTHER than ourselves. (for some reason)
I do not care whether Samus is attractive. In fact, I find Samus to be sexy both from the fact that she is a kick*** bounty huntress and that she looks nice. My point is, yes, Samus is sexy, but that doesn't mean Nintendo has to overtly sell Samus' sex appeal, which, I believe, is an infringment of Metroid canon, theme, and tradition.

also, use logic. girls like sex appeal to some degree. do you see us guys jumping to play the fat ******** characters who have the worst moves and are completely unattractive?
and
I will use Zero Suit Samus now simply because she's ultra hot and to annoy people who are making a big deal out of a very nice body shape.
I've said this before: I don't mind that Nintendo is selling sex appeal, as long as it's not Samus for reasons stated above. I also do not care whether Samus is sexy or not, as long as Nintendo isn't selling her sex appeal any more than through the endings.

Most are still missing one point.

Samus NEEDS to wear this "revealing" outfit. Why? Think about it. Why would a racer wear a skin-tight suit? It's not because they would look sexy. Why would a diver wear a skin-tight suit? Or a ninja in an exoskeleton with a katana, who has currently three owners, for which two are now dead, for that matter.

It's all about agility. A big armour isn't too mobile, and having loose clothes would surely not benefit to this agility. Skin-tight is the only sollution. She could also go in the nude if that's what you want, but she does need to at least wear something in which she could move freely. And a skirt just won't do. Neither would jeans.

I mean, have you ever tried to run the marathon with jeans? Have you even seen people run the marathon with jeans at all? Or those baggy pants, or a skirt for that matter? Nintendo knows that they could have done it, but seeing as Metroid already is absurd, they wanted to add at least some logic to it.
Samus also needs her armor. Have you played ZM? That's one crappy laser gun. And no powerups too...

Actually, I would say captain falcon has a suit even tighter then Zamus. Ya know, you can see his abs, and probably his nipples if you zoom in close enough (I haven't checked, sickos). Zamus on the other hand does not have a suit so tight as to show off her abs (which we know she has from the other Metroid games). So remember, Captain Falcon still wears a tighter suit.

@everybody saying BUT SAMUS IS MYSTERIOUS!!1one!11!!
Umm, does wearing a skintight suit make her less mysterious? I was pretty sure her body wasn't mysterious anymore after beating the first Metroid but maybe it re...mysteriousized (real word?) itself later on. It's not like SSB is telling everybody about Samus's life, its just showing them her body (which we have already seen).
Again, Falcon is not Samus. And again, no, I'm not being sexist. I wouldn't mind it if every video game hero or heroine other than Samus is selling sex appeal because they're not Samus. And yet again, there's a theme in the Metroid series: that video game heroines don't have to run around in revealing outfits to be successful.
Yes, I know Samus is no longer a mystery among gamers, but
A. The last time I checked, her identity is a myster to most of the people in the Metroid universe, and she wants to keep it that way.
B. It's not about Samus being mysterious. It's about what Samus and the Metroid series represent.

the suit is nothing to get worked up about, she has the suit for two reasons, because any loose clothing would be bad for her if she wanted to operate her power suit properly, and for sex appeal
BINGO!!

And a special reply to most (if not all) of Pancho's arguements:
Hopefully, by now, it has become obvious that Nintendo is selling Samus' sex appeal. THAT's what the arguement is about. So what's the big point? The answer is something I've been repeating over and over again: it goes against everything Metroid. If you don't think that that's not important enough of a topic to argue about, then you don't have to post. And please remember that this is a GAMING forum--hardly any topic is very important.

Pancho <BL DOGG>

Smash Rookie
^You obviously consider it important enough to make a committe out of it. =(

Samus is Samus, no one will take that away from her. She will always be Samus, I don't think this changes anything.

Exenwyr

Smash Apprentice
look, the simple fact is, if zamus was some 800 pound toothless hag, you'd be greatly offended. How could they do this to your favorite character? well, what if they made her running around in a black tank-top and short shorts? you'd still be offended, because if shes truly your favorite game character, you're gonna get angry because everyone's gonna think you like solely because she's 'hot.'

i think zamus is the perfect balance for what they were trying to achieve. she's attractive without looking like a slu7, and she's still as bad-as$ as ever (or were you looking at something other than her facial expressions in the teaser?) and just because you get to see what she looks like doesnt change anything of her mysterious nature. like i said, she's got that bad-as$ look in her eyes, and that's what makes her mysterious.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Sakurai didn't make Samus a sex object. Samus WAS a sex object even before this. Remember when you played Metroid under 1 hour? You see Samus in a bikini?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I think Greenblob has some exellent points, actually. Although I do not share his personal view on this matter. But I understand what he means. I think people are too ignorant to realize what a game like SSBB is capable to do. First, SSBM sold better than any Metroid game ever. Metroid is popular among fans, but it has never sold THAT good. And SSBB is likely to sell a lot better than Metroid Prime 3, for example.

In Japan, Metroid has never been very popular at all. What did Nintendo try to do to change this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGq90yUttzs&search=metroid zero mission

They turned Samus into a sex object in that trailer. 20 of the 30 seconds are being used to show off a real actress in that skintight blue suit (and what about those white things coming in a dark tunnel with the IRL Samus on all four, huh?). Despite this, Zero Mission didn't sell in Japan.

Can we just leave the discussion now, weather about she's a sex object/appeal or not? It's so darn clear she is it's almost ridicolous to keep talking about it.

About C.Falcon, sure he's wearing skintight clothing as well. But he's not made to make girls think he's hot. They made his style and his personality with humour in mind. That's the big difference.

I still want to debate about SSBB's importance of marketing ZS Samus, though. I'm pretty sure N64 Smash sold 5 million copies worldwide, and SSBM sold more than 1 million in Japan only. SSBB is bound to be a huge seller for Wii, and honestly, I think more people will see ZS Samus than they see Samus in her standard Metroid games. Most males will without a doubt like ZS Samus, and if her character gains popularity, I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't scrap her power suit (they just need to do a twist in the story) and let ZS Samus be the one you control in standard Metroid games. And also, who said all future Metroid games will be like the Prime games? Obviously, Prime 3 will end the trilogy, and who knows what comes after that?

Don't underestimate the power of marketing in popular games. SSBB is just the perfect game to show off a "new" character like ZS Samus, and let her gain popularity by showing off her sexy body in blue body paint (and of course by being a cool character too).

Sengheili

Smash Rookie
Come to think about it, the most offensive thing about Zamus is the color of her undersuit. That blue is hideous! I hope they give us a wide color palette for her alt.s, not just shades of that tone.

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
Well Slugma, you sold me. I have a feeling they will debue more than just ZS Samus in the game and now it seems much more possible that Samus will become a sex object, (not saying she will be). In any case, her sex appeal will not sell me because I have never been deeply into the Metroid series.

Top Bottom