• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I think it does add sex appeal to the game, but this is a strategy from Sakurai, there's more to it than just that. First off, adding sex appeal will appeal to older gamers more, knowing that there's a "hot chick" in this game will get all those people who buy DOA and other similar games because they're filled with booby bouncing bimbos who fight each other in different costumes. Likewise, the graphics don't look as cartoony this time around (not to me at least).
Second, one of the most popular characters in Melee is the one that can transform. Sakurai has probably taken note and decided to try out the transforming thing with other characters (which I like) but instead of making the player able to transform at will, there's some other way to do it.
Third, this adds depth to the Samus character and like others have said, shows us what she is under the suit and also shows us that it isn't just her suit that makes her such a good character, she can do fine without it, too. But, I think she'll play a lot differently and Samus players will not be used to playing as Zamus at first. All in all I think it is a good move for a few reasons, but yes it does add sex appeal. Maybe Nintendo is slowly trying to get rid of that "kiddie" aura that follows them around.

And I don't think Prime took the franchise in the wrong direction, however, I still acknowledge Super Metroid as the best Metroid ever. I like them trying to make it bigger and different, but I wouldn't mind if they took it back to 2D either. They probably decided to make it a FPS because if it stays 2D, it probably won't change that much from how it already was.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
TDub301 said:
I think it does add sex appeal to the game, but this is a strategy from Sakurai, there's more to it than just that. First off, adding sex appeal will appeal to older gamers more, knowing that there's a "hot chick" in this game will get all those people who buy DOA and other similar games because they're filled with booby bouncing bimbos who fight each other in different costumes. Likewise, the graphics don't look as cartoony this time around (not to me at least).
Second, one of the most popular characters in Melee is the one that can transform. Sakurai has probably taken note and decided to try out the transforming thing with other characters (which I like) but instead of making the player able to transform at will, there's some other way to do it.
Third, this adds depth to the Samus character and like others have said, shows us what she is under the suit and also shows us that it isn't just her suit that makes her such a good character, she can do fine without it, too. But, I think she'll play a lot differently and Samus players will not be used to playing as Zamus at first. All in all I think it is a good move for a few reasons, but yes it does add sex appeal. Maybe Nintendo is slowly trying to get rid of that "kiddie" aura that follows them around.

And I don't think Prime took the franchise in the wrong direction, however, I still acknowledge Super Metroid as the best Metroid ever. I like them trying to make it bigger and different, but I wouldn't mind if they took it back to 2D either. They probably decided to make it a FPS because if it stays 2D, it probably won't change that much from how it already was.
I agree with mostly everything you've said. But I want to add that a suitless Samus was probably considered since the original SSB, not just now that they have Zero Mission. You could play as Samus sans the armor in the original game, and every other installment pretty much let you see her without the Power Suit, so it was kinda natural that "Okay, we need another character, what would be easiest/most interesting. Oh, a suitless Samus? Excellent."

It only made sense to use the Zero Suit because it was more recent, and adds that extra sex appeal to the game. But I've always believed that there should've been, and likely could've been, an armorless Samus in the game since the first one. And not just for sex appeal.

And because I'm a *******: Prime has revived the series, no doubt, and done it a wonderful favor. But it has changed the path it was moving along, and that's a bit upsetting. Super Metroid and Zero Mission are fantastic games. Fusion is great too. Hell, Metroid I and II are great games. The Prime games I've played, but don't hold in as high esteem. Prime 1 was fun, but Prime 2 began to feel like a chore, and Hunters wasn't even a Metroid game IMO. Now that Prime 3 is adding more FPS action to use with the remote, I wonder if it was such a smart move bringing the series into 3D the way they did. Prime reassured me that it wasn't going all FPS on us, but with the latest DS game...

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
No, the DS game was strictly a mini FPS game.

They said themselves Metroid prime 3 will take the best of 1, the best of 2 and kinda combine. They said they will try even more this time to put in the planet traveling and item upgrade/getting system that we have been used to

And shooting an alien in Super Metroid is NOTHING compared to shooting Ridley in fully 3-D on Metroid Prime

Prime was a great game, and was the highest rated before RE4. most MATURE game before RE4, and best graphical game on the Cube

That's like people that say Link to the Past was better than ocarina of Time. Sure it was possibly the best game on SNES, it had the best story and puzzles, and was handdown the best SNES adventure, but OoT did all those things, and did it MUCH BETTER, did it 3-D, and took it a whole NEW LEVEL.

Saying Super Metroid is much better than the Brawl series is like those people that love the 64 Smash better than melee, and say they'll like it better than Brawl too.

Come on, it doesn't matter how good a game is for it's time, if a sequel is very good for it's time also, and keeps the general gameplay mechanics of the old games, and gets GREAT REVIEWS EVERYWHERE, and is being developed by a completely different company, then they are doing a great job, and there's no way a SNES game can be better than it
Especiallly what they are doing with Corruption on the Wii

Rash

Smash Ace
Off the topic of Samus as a sex symbol:

I wouldn't be hesitant to call Metroid Prime the best Metroid in the series. However, I'll always stand by Super Metroid; the reason being, Nintendo nailed it perfectly with that game. That's the case with many game franchises anyway; many developers hit perfection and just can't re-create it with later games.

Metroid Prime is pretty much Super Metroid in 3D. This is why saying MP is the best isn't going too far. Retro Studios took the game in a refreshingly new direction, I think. Sure, 2D Metroid games are nice, but the transition to 3D was absolutely perfect; as good or better than Mario's/Zelda's transition into 3D. MP had all of the best elements from previous games, including: varying atmospheres, good challenge, plenty of game time, good amount of weapons and features, and more. Plus, Metroid Prime (along with Fusion) marked the deserved revival of the series, and gave it a better reputation.

Metroid Prime 2 was better and worse in several ways. Music was a good. Bosses were admittedly lacking. All the good gameplay was still there. The final boss was even more entertaining. I, personally, though the Light/Dark world concept was handled well, and with the dark world a whole new kind of atmospheric intensity was created. Also, the scanning was much better/easier in MP2 than in MP. I have no problem with the light and dark beams, but the anihilator came so late in the game that it was rendered useless.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. This is because I believe it will be as good or better than the previous two in the trilogy.

On the topic of Samus as a Sex symbol:

Are you people done yet? Haven't we proven that Samus' supposedly sexy "Zero Suit" look in SSBB had hardly any real bearing on Sakurai's decision? It's not illogical just to say that Samus was included in that form just to add depth to her character and to, at the same time, include a new and unique fighter to the Brawl roster?

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I think Zamus was added like you said for more depth for Samus mostly. But her being a "sex-symbol" is probably another plus in Sakurai's book. I too liked the direction that Prime took the series in. It only made sense to make it a FPS, since her main attacking form is shooting. Maybe they could've made it a third-person view like in platform games, but I think it would not have felt as smooth that way since you primarily are shooting at things so it's easier just to be first-person. I never played Prime 2, but was happy with the first one, but I still think Super Metroid was the best ever, not in a biased way, hopefully Prime 3 will dethrone it. That's what it's supposed to do, anyway.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
nintendo is trying to add more sex appeal though...look at peach....she is getting skimpier and skimpier in those sports games as opposed to the nice long classy dresses she use to have

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Phantom_Sonic said:
I don't care that she is sexy.
Me too! Plus, how could she not be sexy? Give her no boobs or something? Okay forget I said that... Anyway, I do believe that if that problem was solved then there would be a thread asking why she ISN'T sexy. Tweaking something a ton can be bad, especially when you can take the simpler and more basic route. Sex appeal will add to sales also, and plenty of people do weird things for money. :dizzy:

Black/Light

Smash Master
Skler said:
If wearing tight clothes makes a character a sex symbol, what is captain falcon? Seriously, is it because samus is a WOMAN wearing tight clothes? Captain Falcon has been wearing that skin tight suit for a very long time and nobody complained. Why should it be different with a woman?

I was just thinking about this on the 2nd page. Way is she different? Falcon has a great body too (for a man) and he has a skin tight suit. They onlysee Samus differently because they know teenage boys will be stroking themselves at night thinking about her( lol, I had to say that).

Really people, what is she suppost to have on under there? Is she suppose to come out in a fresh white-T, looking real street in her baggy pants? Thats the best thing for her to wear and the best way for her to look (It's between looking like this or looking like a slime sized, buff man with female breast. . . Which would you choose?)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Black/Light said:
Really people, what is she suppost to have on under there? Is she suppose to come out in a fresh white-T, looking real street in her baggy pants? Thats the best thing for her to wear and the best way for her to look (It's between looking like this or looking like a slime sized, buff man with female breast. . . Which would you choose?)
Actually, something similar she did wear when younger was she.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Black/Light said:
I was just thinking about this on the 2nd page. Way is she different? Falcon has a great body too (for a man) and he has a skin tight suit. They onlysee Samus differently because they know teenage boys will be stroking themselves at night thinking about her( lol, I had to say that).

LOL. It's funny when people say things like this, because I say it's too tight, say "yeah, what about baggy pants?". Haven't you ever considered something there between? It's not just about black or white you know, there are lots of colors there bewteen. Her suit could've been like it is now, but not so bloody darn tight. I mean, it really looks like a rip-off of Taki's body paint in SCII and SCIII.

And about that Falcon thing, I explained my view on it in an earlier post, go back and read that.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
It's an excelent choice by Sakurai not only does it give Samus another playing style but it retracts from Nintendo's Kiddy Image that not having blood and Cell Shading gave them.

Zamus opens up the game to a wider audience of more ages so now instead of aiming for the Young teenage crowd which melee did it now aims for the whoe teenage and young adlt crowd.

Zamus may be the sterotype woman but I suppose in the MP games it teaches a lesson good things happen to good people and in SSBB there could be a similar meaning if you have to earn it or if on the trophies or whatever they tell yopu about samus' life and stuff I don't know this paragraph cofuses me because I can't say hat I want to say but that's ok.

To sum it up Zero Suit Samus (Zamus) = Good

Black/Light

Smash Master
Slugma128 said:
LOL. It's funny when people say things like this, because I say it's too tight, say "yeah, what about baggy pants?". Haven't you ever considered something there between? It's not just about black or white you know, there are lots of colors there bewteen. Her suit could've been like it is now, but not so bloody darn tight. I mean, it really looks like a rip-off of Taki's body paint in SCII and SCIII.
And about that Falcon thing, I explained my view on it in an earlier post, go back and read that.
Oh, I read your post already. . . "Because skin-tight suits on male figures are hot, and people don't want to get aroused while playing a game, unless they are intend to get aroused."

I just dont agree with that (Dont really know what your saying but I think your saying its "not hot"). Some females would find that sexy.

And, like I said, thats the best thing to wear. Something inbetween? I don't think that whatever its made from would look/ fit or work too well loser(think about it. . . would that look right?). And again, shes in a gear suit and its bound to get hot in there. . . tight cloths are best at keeping cool in the heat/ cooling you muscels when, dancing, playing sports or just working out.
And if Falcon gets away with it then why not Samus? Just keep your head in the game and fource yourself to take down that pretty white woman if you get too. . . uppitity (. . . ) well shes on the sceen.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, I know this is a minor complaint, but I can't stand "Zamus". It's ZS Samus... :p

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Black/Light said:
Oh, I read your post already. . . "Because skin-tight suits on male figures are hot, and people don't want to get aroused while playing a game, unless they are intend to get aroused."
I never said that, can't you read???

Black/Light

Smash Master
Slugma128 said:
I never said that, can't you read???

Oh crap!!! I fogot who you were (^_^)

(And no, I cant read. . .wait. . . how am I replying to you post?!?!?)

"Someone mentioned Captain Falcon's tight clothing. Good point, because it's also skin tight. But then look at how Nintendo presents these characters. The presentation. In Zero Mission, there are close-ups of her butt, and in the short Brawl trailer, Nintendo let the camera sweep around her to get close-ups of both her butt and boobs. Captain Falcon's short FMV ending in F-Zero GX is made with humour in mind, not sex appeal. You just have to have a sense for these details. (and it's not very hard at all)"

(And dont 2x post.)
I still dont agree. How else would they present her? As some happy hunter? No, they just used the veiw angles to show off her body in a sexy way. Its not like she cracked the wipe and said "COME on boys." in a sexy voice or anything. Her sex appeal lies in her body and her tight suit just like Falcon.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I was more talking about the way they let the camera sweep around her like the sex object she is. Look at how they presented the other characters in the Brawl trailer. Even though she didn't have any voice in the trailer, they really presented her as a sex object. And that's the difference from Falcon.

They presented Snake in a funny way. They presented Pit in a way that made old fans shiver with excitement (first you see an arrow which serves as a hint). They presented Wario in a funny way. And Meta Knight got an avarage presentation if you ask me, but he's not even human-like, so I'll leave him out of this.

ZS Samus's presentation was made with sex appeal in mind. It was actually the same in Zero Mission, because the first you see of her there is a great butt shot. And the only difference from Zero Mission is that they firmed up her butt a lot to Brawl. But they're still just going for sex appeal.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Slugma128 said:
I was more talking about the way they let the camera sweep around her like the sex object she is. Look at how they presented the other characters in the Brawl trailer. Even though he didn't have any voice in the trailer, they really presented her as a sex object. And that's the difference from Falcon.

Well they most likely knew what they were doing, trying to show her in a sexy way. But even that could be debateable to some point seeing that her breast and a$$ are very much apart of her.

They showed Pitt in the air, flying with his bow and arrow. That shows his wings and weapon. They showed M.K with his wings spread out to show off his wings. They showed Snake popping out of a box to show off he sneakyness(SP). They showed off her suit to show that off as well as give her a more female like feel (and sex appeal).

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes, I wonder if Sakurai and the rest of the Japanese are sitting across the pond, laughing at the silly Americans and their silly censorship policies. >_>

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
You know, I'm a Swede...! :) And besides, only Japanese developers are pervy enough to put Peach in a thong and give her butt jiggle. But back to topic, I really think, from a personal opinion this time, that Samus was made a woman so Nintendo had an excuse to pixelate a woman at the end of each game. And now today when techniqual leaps has been made, this is what they do. And this is also personal opinion, but I have nothing against ZS Samus myself. :) I'm just debating in which direction Nintendo's taking her and why.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
AttackstorM said:
look at peach....she is getting skimpier and skimpier in those sports games as opposed to the nice long classy dresses she use to have

Try playing baseball and running around bases while wearing a dress like she used to. You'd trip and fall flat on your face.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Mic_128 said:
Try playing baseball and running around bases while wearing a dress like she used to. You'd trip and fall flat on your face.
Is that reason enough to put her in a miniskirt/thong combo and give her butt jiggle? Also, why is Mario and Luigi wearing their normal clothes, shouldn't they get sweaty? Normal logic has no place in Mario's world. ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Slugma128 said:
Is that reason enough to put her in a miniskirt/thong combo and give her butt jiggle?
Why the hell would you be looking there anyway?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Slugma128 said:
That's irrelevant.
Oh I know it's irrelivent, just wondering why. Especially when you sseem to go on about how it's a bad thing, yet in your sig, you've got pictures of Zamus' rear and apparently look at Peaches in sport games.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Black/Light said:
More teenage bots will be "stroking" themselves looking at his sig. Hypocrisy. I smell hypocrisy.

skyone

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why people are upset about Zamus's appearal. I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way, I get aroused everytime I see her - and last time I checked, that was a GOOD thing!

:D

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Black/Light said:

I just dont agree with that (Dont really know what your saying but I think your saying its "not hot"). Some females would find that sexy.
First of all, that was my post, second, it was meant to be mocking against people who were against Samus wearing a skin-tight suit. Your explaination also works very well, and it also explains why Captain Falcon wears a skin-tight suit (it is bound to get hot in a racing pod).

Slugma128 said:
I was more talking about the way they let the camera sweep around her like the sex object she is. Look at how they presented the other characters in the Brawl trailer. Even though she didn't have any voice in the trailer, they really presented her as a sex object. And that's the difference from Falcon.
With that I strongly disagree. You're seeing it wrong. The camera doesn't go slowly up and focus on her butt and boobs.

Also, it's a common camera use. When introducing a mysterious character, they either start at the feet, which is in this case a bit lame (it's lame anyway to start at the boots). When Snake was first introduced in Metal Gear Solid, the camera constantly focused on his butt. Homo-erotic? I think not.

And, if you still haven't noticed, any other camera movement wouldn't look as badass as now.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
As I TRIED to explain, I have nothing against ZS Samus personally. But I do argue weather or not it was a good idea to put her in the game, and how it'll affect her future. There's a lot more people out in the world than us Smash fans, you know.

NintendoWarrior, yeah, MPT was kind of a show off game of Peach if you compare to other Mario sport titles. Her thong has become rather infamous in the gaming world, and her butt actually looks flabby when she runs. Of course, you need to be a crazy Japanese with an Action Replay and much free time on your hands to see that. So parents or their kids don't need to worry.

EDIT: It's kinda interesting though that Nintendo actually put it in, because you can't see it if you don't know the right codes. That must mean Nintendo made Peach's butt jiggle that much on purpose only to let a few people see it. And the same goes for her thong, why bother to put it in the game when so few people will see it? Or maybe they knew Peach's secrets would spread around the net like this, creating a less kiddy image of her? I don't know, that's just a wild guess.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
GaryCXJk said:
With that I strongly disagree. You're seeing it wrong. The camera doesn't go slowly up and focus on her butt and boobs.

Also, it's a common camera use. When introducing a mysterious character, they either start at the feet, which is in this case a bit lame (it's lame anyway to start at the boots). When Snake was first introduced in Metal Gear Solid, the camera constantly focused on his butt. Homo-erotic? I think not.
First, MGS has actually been known for these kinda things...Raiden's thong, or how Snake's....err...package actually jiggle in some game. XD

Yeah, you start at the feet, and then goes up. But you don't sweep around the body like that, it's just to show off ZS Samus's curves. Arrrgh, this is such common sense it makes me crazy that people have actually hard to understand this!

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Slugma128 said:
As I TRIED to explain, I have nothing against ZS Samus personally. But I do argue weather or not it was a good idea to put her in the game, and how it'll affect her future. There's a lot more people out in the world than us Smash fans, you know.

NintendoWarrior, yeah, MPT was kind of a show off game of Peach if you compare to other Mario sport titles. Her thong has become rather infamous in the gaming world, and her butt actually looks flabby when she runs. Of course, you need to be a crazy Japanese with an Action Replay and much free time on your hands to see that. So parents or their kids don't need to worry.

EDIT: It's kinda interesting though that Nintendo actually put it in, because you can't see it if you don't know the right codes. That must mean Nintendo made Peach's butt jiggle that much on purpose only to let a few people see it. And the same goes for her thong, why bother to put it in the game when so few people will see it? Or maybe they knew Peach's secrets would spread around the net like this, creating a less kiddy image of her? I don't know, that's just a wild guess.

Are there any pics of Peach? I wanna show my friend cause he doesn't believe me.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I have no prolbems with this at all.Is there something wrong with sex apeal?A womens body is a beutiful thing.Theres nothing wrong with flaunting art.Thats right its ART.Just because Samus is wearing a skinclad outfit doesnt turn her into a sex object.It makes her sexy,yes but not a sex object.

When you go to the beach and see girls in there bikinis does this turn them into sex objects?(You do realize that these same girls can just as easy where shorts and a t-shirt to go swimming.)

Will Samus be having sex ingame?

If you say that there making Samus into a sex object then your just spitting out the kind of rhetoric that you were taught as a child without giving it proper thought.

To recap a beutiful womens body is Art.A women that will sleep with you for a pack of ciggs is a sex object.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Koops said:
off topic: slugma, it's called the edit button
on topic: seriously, get over it please, you don't complain that DK has no clothes on now do you, or yoshi, neither do I but I don't complain about Zamus either.
Or that DK's fur strongly resembles pubic hair according to some people.

Shaolin-Ninja

Smash Apprentice
GOTH said:
I have no prolbems with this at all.Is there something wrong with sex apeal?A womens body is a beutiful thing.Theres nothing wrong with flaunting art.Thats right its ART.Just because Samus is wearing a skinclad outfit doesnt turn her into a sex object.It makes her sexy,yes but not a sex object.

When you go to the beach and see girls in there bikinis does this turn them into sex objects?(You do realize that these same girls can just as easy where shorts and a t-shirt to go swimming.)

Will Samus be having sex ingame?

If you say that there making Samus into a sex object then your just spitting out the kind of rhetoric that you were taught as a child without giving it proper thought.

To recap a beutiful womens body is Art.A women that will sleep with you for a pack of ciggs is a sex object.
And I hope that ends it all. He made a really good point there. Whether or not it was "right" to put Zamus into Smash, there's no need to complain- she's in.

You can't do anything about that, so if you don't like her, don't play as her.

EDIT: This should be in the Brawl Character Discussion forum.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Slugma128 said:
Yeah, you start at the feet, and then goes up. But you don't sweep around the body like that, it's just to show off ZS Samus's curves.
Totally, it's only ever been done to female characters, like Nightmare in the opening of SCII.

Arrrgh, this is such common sense it makes me crazy that people have actually hard to understand this!
Maybe it's only common sense to people who obsess over female videogame characters.

And I notice you still didn't answer my question.....

Top Bottom