In less than 12 hours from now, a Sakurai Presents featuring Sephiroth and related content is set to air. Sephiroth was previously shown at last week's Game Awards Show as the opening trailer for the event and his reveal sent ripples all around the gaming industry and left many Smash fans speechless. So, what do we know about this upcoming “Sakurai Presents”?
Beyond the fact it will feature Sephiroth, it will also obviously highlight the stage, music (hopefully more than two tracks), Spirits and Spirit Battles, gameplay demonstration, and (what some are dreading), Mii Costumes. The Sakurai Presents is set to air at 2 PM, PT, 5 PM ET, 11 PM CET, and on 12/18 7:00 AM JST. Please check your local timeline to get an accurate time frame when the trailer will debut. This presentation will be 35 minutes in length and will not reveal any more new characters. You can watch the presentation directly from their Youtube channel or right here on this News Article page!
At the time of this writing, we know of a few things regarding Sephiroth and Challenger Pack #8.
- Sephiroth boasts tremendous range thanks to his sword, Masamune.
- His Smash Attacks focus on his range game.
- One of his aerials appears to allow him to stick Masamune in the side of the stage and can be used as a pseudo-platform jump.
- He also has several spells including both a fire and dark-type spell.
- He has a multi-hitting counter.
- He can use his signature attack, Octaslash. This attack can be telegraphed to launch in a certain direction.
- It’s possible that Octaslash and one of his spells is tied to his character gimmick which may use his One-Winged Angel character aspect. This causes a single black wing to shoot out.
- Shirtless Sephiroth is a thing and it’s glorious.
- His other alts are subdued colors like Cloud’s.
- His Final Smash has him use Safer・Sephiroth.
- Cloud has an updated Final Smash which has him use Omnislash ver. 5. It’s not sure if this is specific to his Advent Children outfit or when used against Sephiroth.
- Sephiroth’s represented stage is based on the final dungeon of VII, Northern Crater. It’s name is currently unknown but potential names are Northern Cave, Northern Crater, and Planet’s Core.
- It's possible that this is a transformative or traveling stage as it features multiple events and locations affiliated with the final dungeon including the airship, the Highwind and Meteor, a pivotal plot point in the game.
- The song “One-Winged Angel” from Advent Children will, theoretically, be included.