• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Presents “Battling With Sephiroth” Coming Soon!

76760C5A-1846-46C3-84E1-B7B28910A578.jpeg

In less than 12 hours from now, a Sakurai Presents featuring Sephiroth and related content is set to air. Sephiroth was previously shown at last week's Game Awards Show as the opening trailer for the event and his reveal sent ripples all around the gaming industry and left many Smash fans speechless. So, what do we know about this upcoming “Sakurai Presents”?

Beyond the fact it will feature Sephiroth, it will also obviously highlight the stage, music (hopefully more than two tracks), Spirits and Spirit Battles, gameplay demonstration, and (what some are dreading), Mii Costumes. The Sakurai Presents is set to air at 2 PM, PT, 5 PM ET, 11 PM CET, and on 12/18 7:00 AM JST. Please check your local timeline to get an accurate time frame when the trailer will debut. This presentation will be 35 minutes in length and will not reveal any more new characters. You can watch the presentation directly from their Youtube channel or right here on this News Article page!

At the time of this writing, we know of a few things regarding Sephiroth and Challenger Pack #8.
  • Sephiroth boasts tremendous range thanks to his sword, Masamune.
  • His Smash Attacks focus on his range game.
  • One of his aerials appears to allow him to stick Masamune in the side of the stage and can be used as a pseudo-platform jump.
  • He also has several spells including both a fire and dark-type spell.
  • He has a multi-hitting counter.
  • He can use his signature attack, Octaslash. This attack can be telegraphed to launch in a certain direction.
  • It’s possible that Octaslash and one of his spells is tied to his character gimmick which may use his One-Winged Angel character aspect. This causes a single black wing to shoot out.
  • Shirtless Sephiroth is a thing and it’s glorious.
  • His other alts are subdued colors like Cloud’s.
  • His Final Smash has him use Safer・Sephiroth.
  • Cloud has an updated Final Smash which has him use Omnislash ver. 5. It’s not sure if this is specific to his Advent Children outfit or when used against Sephiroth.
  • Sephiroth’s represented stage is based on the final dungeon of VII, Northern Crater. It’s name is currently unknown but potential names are Northern Cave, Northern Crater, and Planet’s Core.
  • It's possible that this is a transformative or traveling stage as it features multiple events and locations affiliated with the final dungeon including the airship, the Highwind and Meteor, a pivotal plot point in the game.
  • The song “One-Winged Angel” from Advent Children will, theoretically, be included.
There are probably other aspects that were missed but these were the most evident. I wonder how much we got right? Make sure you tune in to see just how Sephiroth plays as well as other funny goodies that the presentation has in store!

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

I'm predicting that mii costumes will be Tifa, Barret, and Zack (maybe in their OG polygon forms?) and then returning Chocobo and Geno (maybe beefed up a bit). Would make a lot of sense.

I'm predicting that mii costumes will be Tifa, Barret, and Zack (maybe in their OG polygon forms?) and then returning Chocobo and Geno (maybe beefed up a bit). Would make a lot of sense.
Tifa is Problematic(because Boobs) the reason is that male miis would look weird and no costume influences the (pretty Small) breastsize of female Miis?
so probably theyre in hd and im not sure about Zack hes really only important in Crisis Core so he probably would be replaced by Aerith/Aeris!

Tifa is Problematic(because Boobs) the reason is that male miis would look weird and no costume influences the (pretty Small) breastsize of female Miis?
so probably theyre in hd and im not sure about Zack hes really only important in Crisis Core so he probably would be replaced by Aerith/Aeris!
Tifa's bust isn't a problem, they wouldn't show on her costume to begin with. Zack's an important character in FF7 too. The fact that he even got his own game is proof of this.

Tifa's bust isn't a problem, they wouldn't show on her costume to begin with. Zack's an important character in FF7 too. The fact that he even got his own game is proof of this.
but Zacks most important scene is easily missable!
his other apearences dont really show his personality
I mean outside of you "Playing" as him during the Flashback there is no personality

I think Zack is a good choice of Mii because he’s like a “Cloud Alternative.” It’s almost like giving the mii’s a cloud outfit (with different hair)

this could be the first pack I buy all the mii costumes

Last edited:
but Zacks most important scene is easily missable!
his other apearences dont really show his personality
I mean outside of you "Playing" as him during the Flashback there is no personality
Yeah, but he's literally the reason why Cloud is who he is today. I'd call that pretty important.

I agree, but those are some of the earliest 3D models ever made for video games. They're iconic just because at the time it was such a big deal.

It’s like if they included mario’s 64 model. Obviously the graphics are outdated, but N O S T A L G I A

Last edited:
Geno never deserved full playable character status, but him not even getting the premium mii costume status that would work so well for him after holding back the same costume from SSB4 all this time is tragically hilarious. I do not see this going over well.

I think Zack is a good choice of Mii because he’s like a “Cloud Alternative.” It’s almost like giving the mii’s a cloud outfit (with different hair)

this could be the first pack I buy all the mii costumes
they did choose Aerith who i prefer so im Happy

Sadly for Geno Fans the Costume is not Dx (eventhough music could be difficult maybe the ML superstar Battle Theme?)
but i mean every Geno Fan who thought Geno had stil a Chance is far to Optimistic!

they did choose Aerith who i prefer so im Happy

Sadly for Geno Fans the Costume is not Dx (eventhough music could be difficult maybe the ML superstar Battle Theme?)
but i mean every Geno Fan who thought Geno had stil a Chance is far to Optimistic!
Aerith makes more sense from a character perspective, I just wasn’t sure which mii they’d put her over! Using the staff as a sword is a cool touch though. Good choice, I’ll be getting Barret, Tifa and Aerith for sure!

And man, you’d imagine it’s not too hard for them to get SMRPG music in smash if they can get it for the Sakurai Presents. Oh well!

Last edited:
I mean if they shot down Isaac, who was also a big SSBB poll winner from a classic RPG franchise, why did anyone think that a one off like Geno was seriously up for consideration? Geno was competing for Square space, and Square is the biggest JRPG company. They could add anyone from FF, DQ, Octopath, Bravely, Mana, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, etc. and they would ALL be bigger deals than Geno could ever hope to be.

FF7 is one of the most popular JRPGs of all time, no wonder Geno got shot down in favor of Sephiroth. FF7's popularity trumps that of SMRPG's.

Last edited:
I mean if they shot down Isaac, who was also a big SSBB poll winner from a classic RPG franchise, why did anyone think that a one off like Geno was seriously up for consideration? Geno was competing for Square space, and Square is the biggest JRPG company. They could add anyone from FF, DQ, Octopath, Bravely, Mana, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, etc. and they would ALL be bigger deals than Geno could ever hope to be.
I mean eventhough he is pretty obscour and old (and i really dont know if Squareenix or someone else in the videogame idustry has his rights) Ark is in my opinion a better choice than Geno

I thought it was possible due to fan demand. But yeah, comparing Geno to Sephiroth, it’s not really a contest. I just didn’t even think Seph was in the cards, honestly. I feel like a lot of the reason “nobody was predicting sephiroth” is because they thought he’d make more sense as a boss.

A song for the Geno costume would’ve been a nice gesture, say what you want about SMRPG, it’s got a dope OST. But I’m not tripping over it.

Last edited:
What they should do, is put Geno in Mario Kart. Where he can develop fans organically, through an actual video game.

And put Fawful in MK too while they’re at it.
yeah while im not against cameos form some Characters i would definitly prefer more obscour Mario Characters over Nintendo Kart
(still should feature Link but as Toon-link)

Top Bottom