• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: "If we Direct Smash ONLY at The Competitive Players, It Will Have No Future."

SleezyWeezel

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0404-7056-2030
I'm sorry, but Sakurai is a damn Care Bear. He just wants everyone to win which is inevitable to design a game where everyone can win. There is always going to be a better player than someone else and that's how games work. You can't avoid that. I swear he's such a shallow game developer.

KiTsuNe_23

Smash Cadet
How about we flood Nintendo and Nintendo of America's Twitter? I think it's about time we actually voice our dissatisfaction directly.

They need to know just how negatively they are impacting their community right now.

Any good hashtag to get trending?

Try #mistranslatedforumpostconfuseseveryone

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
Why is nobody talking about this? This is the one line in that piece of the interview that bothers me so much. The guy sounds so worn out, like he's forced to do this, somebody get this man a break. Please. Somebody.
that line is way more disturbing than what he said about competitive smash, hopefully it was a mistranslation.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Japanese speakers, what's the gist of the untranslated parts where he discusses DLC? Anything promising?
Here is my translation of it. Take it for what it's worth. :)

Do you have any plans to release any characters other than Mewtwo?

Sakurai: It is extremely costly to make a single character. The product itself is a pretty good value、but when the work that goes into it is considered, it's never been cheap. There are also those who (without the understanding of cost) will say "Why didn't you put them in in the first place?". I think it (adding a new character) will be difficult unless we are in a position to answer that question or we have a way to settle it. But the excitement of a new character joining the battle is unique to "Smash Bros.", and that in and of itself makes me pretty happy. I do understand the value of increasing the number of characters.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
I think what he doesn't understand is that both Smash and while not relevant, Pokémon are simple at its surface that people can pick up and play, but deep in its core where it wasn't suppose to be. I haven't seen a game that has ever done that to where both Hardcore and Casual Players can enjoy the game in its own way. To me, a Smash/Pokémon game only gets better and better; the only way the competitive scene of both series can get worse is the players want to play it uber-competitively. Even without the discoveries of techs that we have found in Smash 4, the community will find ways to play it competitively. We have with Brawl. Was it pretty, no, but did it exist, yes.

I found his comments very interesting, especially with the "A Competitive Smash has no future" comment. I don't mind what he does with the series; the only way I can be is because of what the ******s of the community is going to say. The stereotypes, the (Melee) Elitists, Melee V.S. Brawl people, **** Sakurai and get a new director people, as that's when I get worried. Their needs to be a balance with both casual and competitive play. It still needs to be the way it was visioned, but their also needs to be respect for competitive players at least. Does it have to be like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, nope, but it can't be something that alienates competitive players, just like how he has said before that he doesn't like how exclusive is the fighting game genre, as that alienates casuals, unless they're dedicated to be in the top. Thus his solution was Smash. Casual Talk, but in my case, I'd started out casual, but became competitive, but still enjoys casual play. If he can realize that, the series will change, but I can't say if it's for the better or worse if he does.
Sir, were you referring to me?
One sentence that struck me particularly was "Pokémon are simple at its surface that people can pick up and play, but deep in its core where it wasn't suppose to be." Let me just say that programming doesn't happen on accident (or else there would be bugs).

Anyone who says pokemon isn't deep in its core has never tried breeding for perfect IVs since that, outside cheating devices, is REQUIRED for competitve play (not rule enforced, but why give yourself a handicap?). This is part of the game and for those who play for money it BECOMES the game. It is completely relevant to this discussion of SMASH because of the similarities. Pick up and play that becomes deep as people explore the gameplay. Things go wrong when that gameplay becomes exploited to a point that dictates everything. That's when you see only 30 used out of 766 or whatever, or the meme "final D fox only" comes from.

Now that that's established, the point I'm driving at is that if THIS was the focus of the game, then what would drive newer games? If you want Melee go to melee. PM exists too and I'm curious to see how fast that continues to grow. Will Smash 4 lose out to PM? Let that settle it, if Smash 4 continues to grow as fast as I've seen then maybe the creator of the game was right.

Oh, and in regards to my past posts: I haven't heard anyone say they've never played SMASH casually. If you haven't I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
that man made the game which you play and love and you call him dumb what respect is this would you call your mother a ****?
he accidentally made what we love, and doesn't understand a thing about any of the reasons why we love it or what our entire community has been doing for the last ~15 years, repeatedly taking from us as a result of his misunderstandings

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
"While we have not been able to translate the entire article as of now..."

This is gonna be sensationalized, isn't it?

*reads*

Okay, a few things here don't add up...

Zoa

Smash Ace
There's so many **** things wrong in this thread. Sakurai apologists, people misinterpreting the quotes by Sakurai, etc. The guy simply said play how you want, yet committing only to competitive features would mean Smash would have no future.

While that is factually incorrect, as casuals are very well capable of having fun in game built for competitive players, detracting options that previous titles had only serves to hurt both casual and competitive players because it removes their options period. There is no excuse for the removal of tech. It hurts anybody who plays, and hurts every single character in the game period. Others significantly moreso. I should not have to put up with a watered down game in terms of game play just to feed the creator's misguided notion that it removes accessibility. Every Smash game is accessible at basic level play without advanced tech. There's no excuse to remove tech for those who want to devote their time and get better at intermediate and higher level play.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
pretty sure all of it is a mistranslation

Can an actual good translater translate the whole article?
Just because you don't like a article doesn't mean it's mistranslated. How can you question if it is or not when you don't even know the language? Sure, he might've missed a couple things but I'm sure he captured the main view points of what Sakurai was saying.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Here is my translation of it. Take it for what it's worth. :)

Do you have any plans to release any characters other than Mewtwo?

Sakurai: It is extremely costly to make a single character. The product itself is a pretty good value、but when the work that goes into it is considered, it's never been cheap. There are also those who (without the understanding of cost) will say "Why didn't you put them in in the first place?". I think it (adding a new character) will be difficult unless we are in a position to answer that question or we have a way to settle it. But the excitement of a new character joining the battle is unique to "Smash Bros.", and that in and of itself makes me pretty happy. I do understand the value of increasing the number of characters.
Interesting...looks like DLC is a possibility down the road...

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I just don't see Sakurai's thinking. Why can't smash be competitive AND for fun. Holy ****, why can't games have both kinds of players playing harmoniously as opposed to opposing one another.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
There's so many **** things wrong in this thread. Sakurai apologists, people misinterpreting the quotes by Sakurai, etc. The guy simply said play how you want, yet committing to only competitive players would mean Smash would have no future.

While that is factually incorrect, as casuals are very well capable of having fun in game built for competitive players, detracting options that previous titles had only serves to hurt both casual and competitive players because it removes their options period. There is no excuse for the removal of tech. It hurts anybody who plays, and hurts every single character in the game period. Others significantly moreso. I should not have to put up with a watered down game in terms of game play just to feed the creator's misguided notion that it removes accessibility. Every Smash game is accessible at basic level play without advanced tech. There's no excuse to remove tech for those who want to devote their time and get better at intermediate and higher level play.
Yeah too bad that's not what he said at all. Speaking of apologists..

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
By the way guys, people who can't play Brawl or SSB4 competitively straight out must suck. You call yourself good for playing Melee? Psh. You're soft.

KiTsuNe_23

Smash Cadet
Just because you don't like a article doesn't mean it's mistranslated. How can you question if it is or not when you don't even know the language? Sure, he might've missed a couple things but I'm sure he captured the main view points of what Sakurai was saying.
I've read the article in Japanese, and like the reddit user posted on reddit, Japanese is a contextual language, so making a translation based only on text is extremely difficult. For example, to me it sounds more like Sakurai is saying that from a design perspective, only focusing on competition would kill the game.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
By the way guys, people who can't play Brawl or SSB4 competitively straight out must suck. You call yourself good for playing Melee? Psh. You're soft.
Brawl and Smash 4 suck competitively. I give credit to this guy for at least basically acknowledging that.

Last edited:

ZainreFang

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZainreFang
Thank you guys in the comments for giving your translations. It changes the perspective a lot. Smash from the beginning has been for a wider audience and it will be designed accordingly. Smash 4 is a well rounded game in my opinion.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Who said I didnt like the article? Im ok with the article XD

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I've read the article in Japanese, and like the reddit user posted on reddit, Japanese is a contextual language, so making a translation based only on text is extremely difficult. For example, to me it sounds more like Sakurai is saying that from a design perspective, only focusing on competition would kill the game.
That honestly sounds like something he'd say.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
A number of people are calling Smash 4 watered down, have they played Brawl?
Removal of techs, but then addition of other ones.
hit stun differences (n64 still has the most exaggerated though)
differences of "control", later games do have more variety.

It doesn't hurt the characters in the game by changing the game, simply changes how these characters are played. Ask anyone who still plays marth in smash 4.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Yeah too bad that's not what he said at all. Speaking of apologists..
Learn to read the other comments where others say it's a misinterpretation. Especially by a Japanese translator themself. The bottom half was a short rant. Nothing more.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I personally think that the problem of that could simply be elevated by giving us the option to switch on/ off such things as L canceling and Wave dashing and what not...

Of course, I have never made a game, so what can I say? :troll:

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I'm honestly not surprised Sakurai has said this. He's been saying that Smash shouldn't be a competitive game for quite some time now... Do I agree? No. I mean anything can become competitive, whether you meant it to or not, ESPECIALLY multi-player games.

I have respect for Sakurai... MAD respect... But he needs to open his eyes and mind to the competitive side of the Smash community.

Zoa

Smash Ace
A number of people are calling Smash 4 watered down, have they played Brawl?
Removal of techs, but then addition of other ones.
hit stun differences (n64 still has the most exaggerated though)
differences of "control", later games do have more variety.

It doesn't hurt the characters in the game by changing the game, simply changes how these characters are played. Ask anyone who still plays marth in smash 4.
It removes movement options, ways to approach, and generally makes things much more unsafe to do considering how powerful defensive options are.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I personally think that the problem of that could simply be elevated by giving us the option to switch on/ off such things as L canceling and Wave dashing and what not...

Of course, I have never made a game, so what can I say? :troll:
Sakurai:Have you ever made a game?

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Brawl and Smash 4 suck competitively. I give credit to this guy for at least basically acknowledging that.
Honestly doesn't make sense. Because it's not Melee? Is that why? WHO CARES?!

Melee's not even the first ****ing game in the series. Stop expecting Melee every time.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Haven't these interviews been traditionally horribly translated and misunderstood? Seems like a knee-jerk news post
It is exactly this. I'm Japanese, and this is not what the original article says. It says "If [I, as director,] were to throw all of it [effort into making Smash 4] into the competitive aspects, the game [as in the smash bros series] would have no future."
All Sakurai is saying is that he feels that it is vital that Smash Bros. be a combination of casual and hardcore aspects.
This misleading and useless argument-creating article should be removed from the front page, and a corrected new article should be created.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Looks like a lot of didn't understand what Sakurai was saying or didn't read the article. He said that if you play smash competitive the game have no future not competivtive smash have no future. He saying if smash was made to be only competitive like other fighting games than it will be harder for casual players to pick up.

Many competitive players always use melee to fight this argument, Let me ask you this does melee play like anyother fighter game no it doesn't. Melee is easy to pick up. Smash was never meant to be purely a competivie game, Sakurai didn't make smash competivie the fans did. Smash will always be a party game at it core.

Choocheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
choocheese
Very upset to hear this from sakurai. really thought nintendo was making strides to embrace the competitive community with the tournaments they were holding. too bad the game's director doesn't think his own game has a competitive future. very disheartening

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys dis article is a mistranslation hes actually saying he developed the game with both competitive and casual play in mind and he luvs de wombo combos

KiTsuNe_23

Smash Cadet
It is exactly this. I'm Japanese, and this is not what the original article says. It says "If were to throw all of it [effort into making Smash 4] into the competitive aspects, the game [as in the smash bros series] would have no future."
All Sakurai is saying is that he feels that it is vital that Smash Bros. be a combination of casual and hardcore aspects.
This misleading and useless argument-creating article should be removed from the front page, and a corrected new article should be created.

I've been posting exactly this all day. No progress yet. Hatters seem to conveniently skip over posts like these.

Zoa

Smash Ace
It is exactly this. I'm Japanese, and this is not what the original article says. It says "If were to throw all of it [effort into making Smash 4] into the competitive aspects, the game [as in the smash bros series] would have no future."
Thank you.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
This, this and this 10 times over. Even with a bit of context Japanese often leaves so much information out of a sentence and expects you to fill in the blanks.

If Japanese was a more direct language, there would be a lot less gamers running around freaking out about out of context comments mistranslated with information missing.

Top Bottom