• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I see. I generally just get bugged on msn to go to smashfests around the area or london so I never used them, nice to see somewhere actually sane though.

whats your stance on melee and brawl anyway? curious. I don't care or mind what it could be, just let rip. I'm bored.
It is good enough to be a competitive game, but it will never be as good as Melee. Brawl just has so many limits. I won't deny though it can't be competitive cause there are consitent winners. The skill is different and it is in less areas, but there is still skill.

So many people who were much better than me a year ago helped me and talked to me when I sucked. That is what I have to say on the matter.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
gotcha. Yeah I remembered when I got brawl. At least as it is right now its kinda useless. I went into training mode RIGHT away with ike, a few days after the jp ver came out. spent 40 minutes. Found out almost nothing. struggled to pull off even a 4 hit combo by crouching after his first jab then doing his 3 hit combo

and even that didn't even work

was annoying

Avalon262

Smash Cadet
I don't see how brawl can be a main event at any tourny that's more than one day. There's no way it can hold anyone's attention for that long. It should be a side event while melee is the main.

You're still playing it and trying to get better along with a bunch of other people.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Siegknight. That was a very offensive post there. Actually, the smash community has been praised for how nice we typically are to newcommers trying to learn. We're only mean to those that we're not really explaining anything too, but rather having to argue with. Most people get a fair shot.

Though I say most of this applies to the other boards. The brawl boards are notorious for flamming, dumb threads, elitist remarks, ect. The character boards and regional zones are the best place to start looking if you want any help (tactical discusion is okay, but there are a few outbursts here and there).

I think the main problem is that there are just too many newcommers that come with a false stereotype. A lot of people come thinking (from both sides mind you) "my way is better than your way and here's why...," instead of "I like my way better because of..." The first implies that the other is inferior as a whole. The second just states personal preference. I feel this has caused a lot of misinterpretation (considering how similar the statements are) and some people don't recognize the difference, labeling us as elitists for mearly stating why we don't want to bend our system for them. I feel bad when someone gets called an elitist, especially when I know they are a general nice and helpful person, that's just fed up with his style of playing being constantly attacked.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I help people too, I'm just usually an ***. Like, if I were asked the D3 question, I would have responded:
"Do you not have a grab button? I guess it's complicated, but here we go. You grab... PHEW!!! You're done. All you have to do now is press down and do it again. If you got lost during that, just read it again until you get it.

I hate new people."

That's about it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You're still playing it and trying to get better along with a bunch of other people.
True, but I could never play Brawl two full days in a row. I'm referring to FC and how every year they have a 4 day Melee event and this year it will probably be both Brawl and Melee. There's no way I would play Brawl all four days at that event. I would play it one, and then the other 72 hours would be spent on Melee straight.

Avalon262

Smash Cadet
True, but I could never play Brawl two full days in a row. I'm referring to FC and how every year they have a 4 day Melee event and this year it will probably be both Brawl and Melee. There's no way I would play Brawl all four days at that event. I would play it one, and then the other 72 hours would be spent on Melee straight.
well good for you. I'm more into brawl and if c3 continues to do brawl tournaments I'll most likely go. I'll have you know that I'm using Marth again so let the hate begin.......again LOL. :laugh:

Also, on what you said about brawl matches being boring. I'll somewhat agree to that but watching good players play like Azen just makes me say wow, your 100 years too early to beat him. :)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
well good for you. I'm more into brawl and if c3 continues to do brawl tournaments I'll most likely go. I'll have you know that I'm using Marth again so let the hate begin.......again LOL. :laugh:

Also, on what you said about brawl matches being boring. I'll somewhat agree to that but watching good players play like Azen just makes me say wow, your 100 years too early to beat him. :)
Just when I thought I could handle your characters you go and do this. I HATE MARTH, mother ****er is even faster now. Sonic doesn't stand a chance, which means I'll have to use Diddy, or maybe I'll whip out dedede and humiliate you LOL.

100 years too early? Nonsense, I'm going to beat him tomorrow :)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
If Brawl is EVER played competitvely, it will be in High Gravity. It's still not as competitve, but it's hundreds of times better than regular gravity. Ever since switching to High Gravity, I tend to only play 2 regular matches before switching back. It's a shame you can't do Special Brawl online :'(

Avalon262

Smash Cadet
Just when I thought I could handle your characters you go and do this. I HATE MARTH, mother ****er is even faster now. Sonic doesn't stand a chance, which means I'll have to use Diddy, or maybe I'll whip out dedede and humiliate you LOL.

100 years too early? Nonsense, I'm going to beat him tomorrow :)
Had to be done. Feels pretty much the same except his counter is much better and I'm pretty sure his up b is better as well. You can try and humiliate me with DDD but big characters work to Marth advantage. :) Without out all the technical stuff, my play style works.

You beat Azen?...............................HAHAHAHAHA!!! I don't think you play smart enough to beat him. He'll catch your mistakes and make you pay. :)

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I help people too, I'm just usually an ***. Like, if I were asked the D3 question, I would have responded:
"Do you not have a grab button? I guess it's complicated, but here we go. You grab... PHEW!!! You're done. All you have to do now is press down and do it again. If you got lost during that, just read it again until you get it.

I hate new people."

That's about it.
To the corey ******, I'll say to you that his problem was generally with the matchup specific grabs and he had no clue why it'd not work sometimes, or why some of the attempts he made were escapable. He had his question answered eventually. He had a matchup problem.

The bolded parts are for Sonic Wave. So you're saying, people like coreygames don't exist on other boards than Brawl general discussion? You know, people who don't apparentally hate new people and have fuucking shiiiitttttttt adviiiice? Great~! I'll grab my stuff.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, if you don't like my advice, don't listen to it. I'm not forcing you. But, when you ask me a question, I'll feel free to answer it how I choose.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
Lol, I love when someone quotes a post on the first page, it shows that they didn't read ANY of the thread yet still believe their opinion to be relevant.

Lol, I love when someone quotes a post on the first page, it shows that they didn't read ANY of the thread yet still believe their opinion to be relevant.

P.S. this is your conscience...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

P.P.S. **** YOU!

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
yeah I'd disregard it thanks, it doesn't even tell me the answer to the problem in the first place, assuming I was in their position. the only practical difficulty with the chaingrab is arguably its matchup specific bull which turned out to be why he couldn't do it after some brief brainstorming. so you'd make a post containing faulty and useless advice but also saying you hate new people?

jackaaasss. ~_~ Way to prove my point and show your whole community up to be bad at helping people and unwelcoming simultaneously. Lovely.

ihatethurdstryk

Smash Rookie
Few points of interest.

-Smash is a party game, not a traditional fighting game, no matter how hard you make it to be something it is not.

-It will never match the technical prowess like that of Guilty Gear or Street Fighter.

-Sakurai has a different definition of competitive, as do you guys. His definition means just a fight between two people and the drive to win the match. You guys dwell on a completely different definition that shares that philosphy, but adds to it. That is not Sakurai's definition, and he will not change it to match the communities.

-To the few of you who call Sakurai "thick headed"-What a real douchebag thing to say. It is like you blame him for everything when it was you all along who tampered with his vision. Truth be told, the only thick headed people around here are the ones judging the guy for creating the game he always wanted to create. Go ahead and say what you want to in petty defense, it doesen't matter because you are not the victim in this scenario. Spare us your angst and swallow the bitter pill that is truth and realize who the real bad guy is.

-Sakurai wants typical one-dimensional competitive play. He doesen't want a tech heavy game because that creates unneccesary complications with his game and he strives for simplicity. It makes gaps so large that certain players have no chance in hell with standing up to a tech heavy player if their knowledge about it is completely hear-say. Instead of having those bridges, he decided to whittle out all those things and leave a bare metagame. Learn to accept it or continue to wallow in despair.

-Once a person's mind is made up, there is hardly anything to sway it. This alone will kill over 45% of the competitive brawl players already. Instead of working through the apparent limitations, they opt to just say "**** it," and go back to playing Melee. If you ask me, what will really kill the competitive scene for Brawl is disinterest at trying to better the competitive aspects of the game.
i'll answer these in the order i read them:

-that is true, no arguing there:ohwell:

-**** right:chuckle:

-his views are different than ours. what can i say?:ohwell:

-whoever called sakarai a douche bag need to remembe the he's the same douchebag that gave you melee. be greatful that he even gave smash a sequal.

-this is true

-yeah dudes. i mean, its not like he made Smash Bros so only WE could play it. so adding those kind of complications like tech would take the fun out of the people that don't comp it.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I didnt read the whole thread, or even first post at that matter, but when I saw the thread title "Sakurai does not want smash to be competitive" I just couldnt resist to say that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard ever.

------------The reason smash has sold so well is BECAUSE of the competition.end post------------

arrowhead

Smash Ace
I didnt read the whole thread, or even first post at that matter, but when I saw the thread title "Sakurai does not want smash to be competitive" I just couldnt resist to say that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard ever.

------------The reason smash has sold so well is BECAUSE of the competition.end post------------
melee sold so well because it had the competitive potential sakurai didn't intend or want. brawl sold so well because melee was so great

you are an idiot

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
If anyone here honestly thinks that the competitive scene is the main reason that Melee sold so well then they are completely delusional.

I would put more weight on people buying it because they enjoyed the original Smash Bros.

SoraMar

Smash Rookie
when i play "anonymously" in vs. anyone, i feel like i dont get a challenge... anyone else feel like they are fighting 10 yr olds that begged thier mom for ssbb? not saying i win constantly, though... sometimes i get a member of the SWFs, i know it

ADHD

Smash Hero
If anyone here honestly thinks that the competitive scene is the main reason that Melee sold so well then they are completely delusional.

I would put more weight on people buying it because they enjoyed the original Smash Bros.
No, it didn't help it sell more. But what it DID do was help keep the game going. No matter what someone wants to say about this, pros did have an impact on casual players. And it's not 1% of the smash population that were tornament players. I'm even upset about this, I loved watching all the tornament players and KDJ with pichu, it was just exciting. We won't have this in brawl, it's just not possible :(

Browny

Smash Hater
thats the spirit!

predict its doom without even giving it a chance. just like all the naysayers predicting nitendos doom after the gamecube

ahahahahahaha

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
thats the spirit!

predict its doom without even giving it a chance. just like all the naysayers predicting nitendos doom after the gamecube

ahahahahahaha
*facepalm*

Just look at the very basic elements of Brawl. It is dumbed down from Melee in every conceivable way. On purpose. How far do you expect Brawl to go?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What have I told you guys about SiegKnight? I'm looking at you, NES N00b.

We should ignore him for the greater good. For more insight of why, go here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4342732&postcount=109

He's been harassing people and spouting stupid stuff for a week or so now. People should try to actually take a closer look at the idiotic stuff he spews out to learn just how stupid he is.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm actually quite amazed that this 'discussion' is still going on; I know a lot of people say that, but I'm the kind of person who loves a good argument/debate/discussion and who could go on with one for a long time... and even I'm amazed. I think we've figured out by now that the pro-Melee people aren't going to accept Brawl without a dramatic gameplay change (resulting from anything) and the pro-Brawl people are going to play it competitively regardless of what their forefathers tell them to do.

Oh, Yuna, I have a question for you. I'm trying to host some tournaments here in Dallas and I was wondering how many one needs to host to be considered a 'director'; I'm going to school in Europe starting in the Fall, and I'd like to have plenty of directorial experience under my belt before I try to host events over there.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, Yuna, I have a question for you. I'm trying to host some tournaments here in Dallas and I was wondering how many one needs to host to be considered a 'director'; I'm going to school in Europe starting in the Fall, and I'd like to have plenty of directorial experience under my belt before I try to host events over there.
I have no idea what it takes because I just don't care. I just applied for fun and got in. Maybe there are some list of requirements somewhere, maybe there isn't. Apply, state your case (why you "deserve" it) and hope for the best.

I'd assume the following apply:
* Location - A random little tournament at an anime convention, not so good. A tournament that's an actual tournament dedicated to Smash (and possibly a few other games, one or two) and not just with Smash as a side-game? Better.
* How many people attended it? 5-10? Then it's a Smashfest. 30+? Then it's a tournament depending on where you live. In New York, not so much. In, say, Finland (Samochan will let this one slide, I promise), it is.
* What was the overall skill level? What was the Top Skill Level? Just guessing.
* Rules used. Random stages with all stages on random, items on, whatever? That doesn't really sound like someone who cares about balanced and competitive gameplay.

Samochan

Smash Master
I also heard that the apply button is useless, and that if you apply, you have lesser chance of becoming one. >_> You need to be somehow recogniced to become a director... or s wobbles says... which is dumb imo. :/ I kinda doubt the mods on smashboards suddenly peek at the finnish forum, learn finnish and say "whoah, this dude has hosted 1 big tourney and 5 triweeklies already". <_<

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno. I just applied two years ago. I wrote in the little info field that I had hosted many small tournaments (using appropriate rulesets) at anime conventions across Sweden and had also hosted a big one with international visitors.

I was immediately approved. I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this matter.

Corigames

Smash Hero
sakurai doesn't have myelin sheaths on his neurons
The purpose of the myelin sheath is to allow rapid and efficient transmission of impulses along the nerve cells. If the myelin is damaged, it can cause diseases like multiple sclerosis. MS causes you to have muscle spasms, lose vision, lose control to urinate, numbness, pain, paralysis, and fatigue.

What does that have to do with a crappy game like Brawl? Do you think he spasmed on the keyboard when sending important information to the coders?

Aesir

Smash Master
The purpose of the myelin sheath is to allow rapid and efficient transmission of impulses along the nerve cells. If the myelin is damaged, it can cause diseases like multiple sclerosis. MS causes you to have muscle spasms, lose vision, lose control to urinate, numbness, pain, paralysis, and fatigue.

What does that have to do with a crappy game like Brawl? Do you think he spasmed on the keyboard when sending important information to the coders?
Thats exactly what he meant.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
melee sold so well because it had the competitive potential sakurai didn't intend or want. brawl sold so well because melee was so great

you are an idiot
LOL, I swear this is what I was going to say word for word. LOL awesomness

Put in all seriousness, just like Scar well stated:
That is not Competitive Melee by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn't have anything to do with "trying" to make it to be something else. It is what it is, a very competitive fighter with a ridiculous learning curve where the best players always win and people who have not put ridiculous amounts of time into the game can never compete.
Melee was respectable, as for Brawl, I honestly can't dignify it... to anyone... at all. Its like some grown-a$$ kids playing an eight-year old's game. It's just sad.

Top Bottom