• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
you guys are all crazy. If you like melee better then great but people who like brawl better is nothing wrtong with that at all. You guys act way to radical crazy and just think the games terrible. Fact is people liek the game period

Corigames

Smash Hero
You need to capitalize the first letter of each sentence, put commas after introductory adverbial phrases, check for typos such as swapped letters and misplaced keys, use the correct homonym when talking about "to," "too," and "two," and by saying the word "period" does not alleviate the need to put actual punctuation at the end of a sentence.

Also, you are wrong. We don't think Brawl is a terrible game; it is just not as good as Melee in terms of competitive viability.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Possibly in comparison to Melee, you could say that Brawl is bad, but no one in their right mind can deny the fact the Brawl is an amazingly fun party game to throw around with a bunch of friends in the most "non-competitive" way.

If anyone admits that Brawl is terrible in that fashion, they are fooling them self.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Possibly in comparison to Melee, you could say that Brawl is bad, but no one in their right mind can deny the fact the Brawl is an amazingly fun party game to throw around with a bunch of friends in the most "non-competitive" way.

If anyone admits that Brawl is terrible in that fashion, they are fooling them self.
And I heard people say you're stupid. =\
I wonder if a lot of the comments that were posted here were just the shock of how Brawl was...

Corigames

Smash Hero
And I heard people say you're stupid. =\
I'm not stupid.

I'm short-tempered, easily frustrated, out spoken, grammar Nazi, *** hole, elitist, stubborn, and available Mon -Fri at 11:59 pm to 6:00 am at (480) 255 - 9538 ladies.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
First, its a online forum why are you correcting me for punctuation. This isn't school but if you really want me to then I will. Anyway I post in the melee forum and they close any thread that is related to brawl and comments made about show how much they hate it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I post in the melee forum and they close any thread that is related to brawl and comments made about show how much they hate it.
Obvious answer is obvious. Also, the mods are very strict now about the "No Melee vs Brawl" threads. You can't even do them on the Brawl boards, so don't think the moderators are being unfair about it. Secondly, comments from people who prefer Melee more are generally going to be negative when talking about Brawl. If you played Melee competitively, it seemed like a let-down when we finally got a hold of Brawl. It was nothing that we expected, and not in a good way either. I think we are all a bit bitter about that.

However, to me, this pales in comparison to the overwhelming naive, inexperienced, and simple new people that come here and fully support Brawl with no issue. You see, they came here to play Brawl, go to tournies, hook up with people, learn new stuff, etc. They probably weren't into Melee that much and, if they were, they weren't in it for too long. They don't have the experiences seasoned veterans of Melee do. When comparing the two games, they don't have the Melee side to compare with the Brawl, they can only go off what they played, and they have insecurities, I assume, about playing a 7 year old game. Their judgment is far more biased than any other, and, for a while, it was the one that wavored which game the community as a whole plays.

Now, it seems, the community is have another paradigm shift. They are realizing that, even though this game is newer, it may not necessarily be better. So now there is great chasm in the groups. People who were here earlier want to go back to Melee recognizing it for the superior competitive game . The newer people are clinging to Brawl because that's what they came here for. It's their game. I bet, though, that if they gave Melee a try, they would like it more than Brawl.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Now, it seems, the community is have another paradigm shift. They are realizing that, even though this game is newer, it may not necessarily be better. So now there is great chasm in the groups. People who were here earlier want to go back to Melee recognizing it for the superior competitive game . The newer people are clinging to Brawl because that's what they came here for. It's their game. I bet, though, that if they gave Melee a try, they would like it more than Brawl.
Not true. While there may be some that may like it, some also won't.
I've played Melee and it's fun, but really, most people like the better graphics, more characters, and nicer stages more than in Melee. Not to mention Wi-Fi, as crappy as it is.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
you guys are all crazy. If you like melee better then great but people who like brawl better is nothing wrtong with that at all. You guys act way to radical crazy and just think the games terrible. Fact is people liek the game period
Wait... people can love the game and that's all good and well and they're "right", but if you dislike the game, then you're obviously crazy, wrong, radical and all kinds of stuff?

The only right path is liking Brawl? I call hypocrisy on that. I dislike Brawl for many reasons. I play it begrudgingly but I don't care enough to actually become good at it because of its massive cache of glaring and not-so-glaring flaws.

I would never tell you "You're a crazy radical!" for liking Brawl. You shouldn't tell me I'm a crazy radical (or in your words "radical crazy") for disliking it, especially when I've got tangible reasons for disliking it, as opposed to a major chunk of the "pro" side who mostly consist of either blind fanboys or Casual players (and who, as such, haven't spent enough time researching the game to find out about its glaring Competitive flaws)(and often both).

This is not a Melee vs. Brawl post. I just find it laughable that the "pro"-side is to prone to sling insults at the "anti"-side while the only thing the "anti"-side simply for being "anti". Wow, so we disagree. We must now fight to the death!

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Which is the exact reason im really glad that i only got competitive when brawl came out XD. I have played since n64 but since i only got competitive when brawl came out, i dont know how much depth melee had. One part of me wishes that i had experienced what so many people here consider " A game rich in competitive depth" but nonetheless im not disappointed as most people here. Personally, while many people say they enjoyed melee better, i believe that brawl is a better game as a whole when u take account everything EXCEPT the versus mode

Corigames

Smash Hero
I've played Melee and it's fun, but really, most people like the better graphics, more characters, and nicer stages more than in Melee. Not to mention Wi-Fi, as crappy as it is.
While I agree that the ascetics of the game are much notably superior in Brawl than they are in Melee, that argument fails to tackle the main issue between what has to be talked about, and that's gameplay. I don't care how beautiful your game is, if it doesn't play well, then it isn't fun. I'm not saying Brawl plays bad, but most people can agree that Melee is a better game for the competitive scene. It is something that is more reliable at deciding who is the best, who deserves the pot of money, who plays the game better, not the character select screen. Brawl isn't bad, it's just not built for what we, as a smash community, are geared to play.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Coreygames is speaking from a strictly Competitive standpoint. And in Competitive gaming, we value depth infinitely higher than trivial matters such as "better graphics" and "a few more characters". And "nicer stages" is a highly subjective statement.

I'd say they're worse.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its very clear that sakurai spent a lot of work trying to make the game non-competitive. He even went so far as too add something as unprecedented as making your character randomly fall for no reason.
but again, imo, he has failed for the most part, just like with Melee. Every thing that is one human versus another human, where these humans control what happens on the screen will always be competitive, simply due to the knowledge factor, and the psychological factor involved. Someone is always going to know more about the game than the person sitting next to them. Melee was unique in that you could succeed to some degree by simply having good technical ability, and that was one of the major things that widened the skill gap in Melee. This removed is one of the reasons Brawl's skill gap isn't as wide. But there are some people who are mastering the psychological and knowledge aspect of Brawl and dominating their opponents just as much as Ken and M2k did in Melee. Brawl is more a chess match. If Melee is a sport, Brawl is a game. It's a different experience that I, personally enjoy, just as must as melee

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
lets see what happens... i mean people are still going to play the game and make it competitive..
Wow, way to necro.

Also, anyone else think that it's extreme irony that he's telling people from four months to "see what happens" with the competitivity level? Basically it's proving even further that nothing is going to happen with it.

Who cares if he didn't intend for it to be competitive?
Jesus. Just play Smash or don't.
Uh...okay. Let's think about it this way. If someone is holding a baby on a bridge and they drop the baby, it's a bad thing, correct? What if it was an accident? Well then, as long as the baby is safe it's a scare, but not a big deal. But what if the person was TRYING to kill a baby? Doesn't it matter?

Same here. There's a huge difference between Sakurai failing at life and purposely killing the competitive community.

First, its a online forum why are you correcting me for punctuation. This isn't school but if you really want me to then I will. Anyway I post in the melee forum and they close any thread that is related to brawl and comments made about show how much they hate it.
Good thing this isn't school, or you'd get an 'F'.

And wow, really? You post in the Melee boards about Brawl and the threads get locked, and you don't see a problem?

My bad, you get an F minus.

Coreygames is speaking from a strictly Competitive standpoint. And in Competitive gaming, we value depth infinitely higher than trivial matters such as "better graphics" and "a few more characters". And "nicer stages" is a highly subjective statement.

I'd say they're worse.
This.
I agree, I honestly like all of the characters, stages, etc. better in Melee. It's purely subjective.

but brawl is turning more and more competitive each day
If it were turning more competitive every day defenders of Brawl wouldn't still be saying that 5 months after release.

Oh no. Oh god no. Why? Why?! I can't believe it. This is the worst thing that has ever happened.

WHY IS THIS THE 1337TH POST IN THIS THREAD?
That's truly a travesty. Because that's the most un-1337 post ever.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
But now look at Halo 3. That game is VERY balanced and requires more raw skill than the last game. Sure its different, but people learned to adapt and MAKE it competitive. No matter what the developers intend with their game, its up to the COMMUNITY to make it into what they want it to be. Brawl may seemed dumb down and may have been intended for a casual audience, but that should stop us or discourage us from making it competitive.
Which sucks, because Halo 2 was crappy as hell, and Halo 3 was a much needed improvement, but now no one plays Halo 3. Makes no sense. The only thing better about number two (IMO) are some better maps.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
idiots.....
Care to elaborate instead of blindly calling us idiots?
If not, you can just make more spam-tastic posts.

If you don't care to discuss and just want to call us idiots when you don't agree, then GTFO.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
If you don't care to discuss and just want to call us idiots when you don't agree, then GTFO.
He did it just to bump the thread, just to annoy us. I've already reported that statement, and waiting for Gimpyfish to respond to my message I sent to him in his profile message section... (since he is the only active member who is a mod for the GBD)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
He did it just to bump the thread, just to annoy us. I've already reported that statement, and waiting for Gimpyfish to respond to my message I sent to him in his profile message section... (since he is the only active member who is a mod for the GBD)
Yeah, figured as much. I just thought maybe I could induce something more than the poor statements he's been making. Not sure why I thought I could (or wanted to).

Veril

Frame Savant
None of this is new. That article is old. We're still playing brawl. I'm not a noob (stupid term). I've played SSB since I was in middle school.

I play because I am competitive, but moreso because the characters in SSB are personable. I don't play other fighters because I don't feel the need to excel at a game with generic characters even if it is competitive. I've liked every installment of the smash series because of its aesthetic; the chaotic mix of characters, most of whom seem to have been chosen because they have personality. Pikachu, snake (in a box), psychic children: the game has a soul. I compete because I love the game.

The profound flaws in its creators thinking aside, he has kept the elements that have been most important to me alive. He made this game, that we care about enough to create the tremendous BS storm that is smashboards. We've got to approach this man diplomatically, as a community, and do so without acting... like we tend to here. We have to make him understand the symbiotic relationship between the competitive community and SSB, and thus its continued success as a franchise. Maybe tripping would stay, but perhaps he would take advice on character balance, since players are bound to get frustrated with the skewed matchups.

Dissing this man is wrong! Its counterproductive.

RDK

Smash Hero
This idea you have that Sakurai would consider anything the competitive community has to say reveals that you are in fact a moron.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Another thing i dont think was touched on tho its rather small, but goes to further prove your point gimpy. A interview in Nintendo power a while back in the "way of the sakurai" article, they asked sakurai about wavedashing and the such blah blah and if it was a glitch or intentional. his answer is as follows.

"Of Course, we noticed that you could do that during the developement period. With Super smash bros brawl. It wasn't a matter of, "ok, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"

we really just wanted this game , again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between begginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. it wasn't a real big priority but we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody. It just makes sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wantinf to make something different from melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy."

D

Deleted member

Wth is this thread still alive?
Geezez, if you think Brawl is a bad game, don't play it! In fact, if you don't like Brawl, you should sell it and save 50 bucks. Its easier, simpler, and everyone's happy. No need to just blame it on someone else or saying it out loud. Why can't people just do that?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Wth is this thread still alive?
Geezez, if you think Brawl is a bad game, don't play it! In fact, if you don't like Brawl, you should sell it and save 50 bucks. Its easier, simpler, and everyone's happy. No need to just blame it on someone else or saying it out loud. Why can't people just do that?
Because.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom