• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be ridiculed for this.......................

Does any Fighting game maker wants their game to be competitive in the first place?
Yes. Capcom actually took suggestions from pros on balancing out Super Turbo for the upcoming HD Remix, and took painstaking efforts to boost up other characters without completely nerfing the top tiers.

Shuma

Smash Hero
You whant a competitive smash? melee has not gone anywhere? And oh ****, what's that? A melee forum on this forum? Well, that's convinient.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
You whant a competitive smash? melee has not gone anywhere? And oh ****, what's that? A melee forum on this forum? Well, that's convinient.
God forbid we try to find competitive value in a fun game.

If that's what we'd done, melee would've never been competitive.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
HEY EVERYONE

This:
I've talked about how the expert player is not bound by rules of "honor" or "cheapness" and simply plays to maximize his chances of winning. When he plays against other such players, "game theory" emerges. If the game is a good one, it will become deeper and deeper and more strategic. Poorly designed games will become shallower and shallower. This is the difference between an arcade game that lasts years in an arcade versus one that lasts 4 months. This is the difference between a PC game that lasts years on the shelves (Starcraft) versus one that quickly becomes boring (I won't name any names). The point is that if a game becomes "no fun" at high levels of play, then it's the game's fault, not the player's. Unfortunately, a game becoming less fun because it's poorly designed and you just losing because you're a scrub kind of look alike. You'll have to play some top players and do some soul searching to decide which is which. But if it really is the game's fault, there are plenty of other games that are excellent at a high level of play. For games that truly aren't good at a high level, the only winning move is not to play.

- Sirlin, playing to win
This sums up quite well what most of us are trying to express.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I always kind of joked around about how close-minded Sakurai is to competition. I guess they weren't even jokes. He has a pretty self-righteous, prick point of view on the whole thing if you ask me.

Good read Gimpy.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm sure he was TOTALLY aware of the GLITCHES you squeezed out of Melee. Sakurai didn't "****" you over, you ****** yourself over. The "other group" you speak of is the 1.3 million of us enjoying the game for what it is, not complaining about how much the world hates you.
Meta-Kirby wins the thread.

The reality is, the competitive scene did itself in. If you want to get melodramatic about it, let's go back to our roots. Remember the old SSB 64? Sure you do. Where it all began. Melee was simply supposed to be an extension of that. But it became something the creator never intended it to be, and in keeping with our melodrama, let's say that Sakurai took his game back. And you guys are all pissed off because your legs have been taken out from under you, and you can't use your precious "advanced techniques" to get a leg up anymore. The playing field's been leveled, and you don't like it. I got your advanced techniques right here, buddy. It's called the right moves, at the right time....and a little bit of edgeguarding. :chuckle:

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
I've talked about how the expert player is not bound by rules of "honor" or "cheapness" and simply plays to maximize his chances of winning. When he plays against other such players, "game theory" emerges. If the game is a good one, it will become deeper and deeper and more strategic. Poorly designed games will become shallower and shallower. This is the difference between an arcade game that lasts years in an arcade versus one that lasts 4 months. This is the difference between a PC game that lasts years on the shelves (Starcraft) versus one that quickly becomes boring (I won't name any names). The point is that if a game becomes "no fun" at high levels of play, then it's the game's fault, not the player's. Unfortunately, a game becoming less fun because it's poorly designed and you just losing because you're a scrub kind of look alike. You'll have to play some top players and do some soul searching to decide which is which. But if it really is the game's fault, there are plenty of other games that are excellent at a high level of play. For games that truly aren't good at a high level, the only winning move is not to play.

- Sirlin, playing to win
so...
i read this whole article like a month or two ago (it's soooooo long)
and that dude is dead on... it makes sooo much sense...
it pretty much told me not to feel bad if i decided to pick up a top tier char to be better...
but i guess that's another story all together...
anyway...
everyone should be prepared for brawl to fizzle out and melee to rein again...
(in my dreams...)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Sakurai made the game the way he wanted to make the game. It is a exactly how he meant it to be. Just because not everyone else likes it doesn't mean he didn't do what he wanted to. The game is made in such a way that everyone who plays has a a chance to win, at least more so than the way Melee was made.

Whether it is more or less competitive than Melee is not what Sakurai cared about when making the game. he wanted to make a game that everyone wanted to play and have fun with.

No game is created for the sole purpose of being competitive. Not Smash, not Soul Calibur, not Halo, not Street Fighter, nothing. Games are made with the purpose of making money and MAYBE making people happy.

But mostly money.
I agree and still wonder why he 'balanced' it out. It was the competitive melee scene that caused melee to sale so much as it did. I guess he never thought about how competitive smashers work, some people have fun in a competitive since even when they lose but I guess he expected casuals to buy more of the game then competitive. Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to be biased in any since, but I feel kinda jaded by sakurais non fighting spirit.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
What DDM doesn't realize is that without advanced techniques the best players would still be the best (if their opponents also didn't use advanced techniques) because DI and spacing are still as important as ever.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
No need to personally insult Sakurai. I don't like his way of thinking but he's as entitled to it as you are to yours.

PipePlaza

Smash Cadet
Few points of interest.

-Smash is a party game, not a traditional fighting game, no matter how hard you make it to be something it is not.

-It will never match the technical prowess like that of Guilty Gear or Street Fighter.

-Sakurai has a different definition of competitive, as do you guys. His definition means just a fight between two people and the drive to win the match. You guys dwell on a completely different definition that shares that philosphy, but adds to it. That is not Sakurai's definition, and he will not change it to match the communities.

-To the few of you who call Sakurai "thick headed"-What a real douchebag thing to say. It is like you blame him for everything when it was you all along who tampered with his vision. Truth be told, the only thick headed people around here are the ones judging the guy for creating the game he always wanted to create. Go ahead and say what you want to in petty defense, it doesen't matter because you are not the victim in this scenario. Spare us your angst and swallow the bitter pill that is truth and realize who the real bad guy is.

-Sakurai wants typical one-dimensional competitive play. He doesen't want a tech heavy game because that creates unneccesary complications with his game and he strives for simplicity. It makes gaps so large that certain players have no chance in hell with standing up to a tech heavy player if their knowledge about it is completely hear-say. Instead of having those bridges, he decided to whittle out all those things and leave a bare metagame. Learn to accept it or continue to wallow in despair.

-Once a person's mind is made up, there is hardly anything to sway it. This alone will kill over 45% of the competitive brawl players already. Instead of working through the apparent limitations, they opt to just say "**** it," and go back to playing Melee. If you ask me, what will really kill the competitive scene for Brawl is disinterest at trying to better the competitive aspects of the game.
Lavis, I love you

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
agreed...
i think spacing harder to learn than wavedashing...

(i'm not trolling, i promise...)
It is. So?

The reality is, the competitive scene did itself in. If you want to get melodramatic about it, let's go back to our roots. Remember the old SSB 64? Sure you do. Where it all began. Melee was simply supposed to be an extension of that. But it became something the creator never intended it to be, and in keeping with our melodrama, let's say that Sakurai took his game back. And you guys are all pissed off because your legs have been taken out from under you, and you can't use your precious "advanced techniques" to get a leg up anymore. The playing field's been leveled, and you don't like it. I got your advanced techniques right here, buddy. It's called the right moves, at the right time....and a little bit of edgeguarding. :chuckle:
Melee's physics are what made it deep, not its advanced techniques. Sure, those contributed, a lot, but in the end, it's the physics engine which allows for a game that fosters competitive play and doesn't end up heavily favoring the gayer camper. We're not so much pissed about the lack of wavedashing, but simply about some rediculously ******** stuff like camping being so overpowered as to be the only viable strategy.

Sakurai did not "take his game back," because we never took it from him. We played it the way we liked it, with the game rewarding the more skilled player, not always the better camper. Sakurai even said that he wanted everyone to have fun- we did so in an extraordinary fashion, in fact, many of us liked it more than the way Sakurai thought the game was going to be played.

He couldn't have "taken back his game" if he simply contradicted his ideals by showing us the middle finger. I do not think that Sakurai is a stupid man- perhaps a bit naive, but not stupid- but he contradicts himself. Hard.

Look- he wants everyone to have fun, but if he wants his game to be played only his way, he already actively and purposefuly prevents many people from having fun, and thus fails to fulfill his plan, and even works against it.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I just don't get why Sakurai would just screw us over like this on purpose. Really, E For All had all the hit stun and l-canceling, but he decided it would put too much skill and took it out. But on the other hand, he's purposely put all the advanced techniques in for us; some since the beginning. I'm talking about l/z canceling and short hopping in 64. In fact, 64 was the game with insane zero to death combos and uber-powerful throws. Sakurai changed that for melee, which balanced it out a bit more. You now had to read your opponent and couldn't just go around grabbing every little thing you see. He even had knowledge of wavedashing (special fall landing in debug). Granted, he might have not known that it could be abused, but nonetheless, he had put everything on the plate for us. Some things just stick out to me on what he added in the past seemed to promote higher level play, including the past three "glitches" as most newer players call them. Sweetspots, jump canceled shine, and fast falling just seem to promote it.

Yet now he tries to screw us as a community over by adding tripping and making the game very campy. The lack of advanced techs really don't bug me at all, really; its the mentality and physics of the game that does.

Samochan

Smash Master

Pwnography

Smash Rookie
How so? The competitive community are the people who played this game religiously for 6 or 7 years. The millions of others played it for a few months and then got tired of it. Three months before Brawl came out they remembered it and played it for another three months.
Nintendo doesn't get more money from you playing a game over and over again. They do however get more money for making a new game.
Please respond to this post calling me a 4chan. I won't care.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
yes, a lot of the "traditional" fighting game makers cater quite a bit to their competitive players.

In fact a lot of developers do it, look at Blizzard with Starcraft. Starcraft's competitive play is what made it so hugely successful in Korea (or atleast a major reason for this) and Blizzard wants Starcraft 2 to be just as successful and so they are trying very hard to cater to competitive interests.
That's a huge difference. The Starcraft competitive scene is much, much bigger than SSB and is a more popular game in general. The game itself is built from the groundup considering multiplayer competition. SSB was never built that way. It was built for parties. And for Starcraft 2, for multiplayer balance testing, they are bringing in top pros to test and help them out with the balancing. I doubt Sakurai even balance tested 1v1 without items, because he couldn't imagine why anyone would play the game any other way than with items and preferably with 4 people on Rumble Falls. So his answer to the game being too campy by projectile users would be to "pick up the Franklin Badge".

RDK

Smash Hero

- Sirlin, playing to win
^ Diamond in the rough.

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
As opposed to people like you who assume they deserve an easier game because you did......nothing?
That strikes me as a grossly inaccurate hyper generalization of what I've been saying. This whole think strikes me as more hogwash to justify that there are "true fans." This is no different from "we've been reading for years, they OWE IT to us to give us yellow spandex in the X-men movie."

RDK

Smash Hero
That strikes me as a grossly inaccurate hyper generalization of what I've been saying. This whole think strikes me as more hogwash to justify that there are "true fans." This is no different from "we've been reading for years, they OWE IT to us to give us yellow spandex in the X-men movie."
It's even not the fact that we've been "reading" it for all these years--it's the mere fact that I completely blew fifty bucks on a half-rate game expecting more. I speak honestly when I say I wish I hadn't bought Brawl, or had at least pirated it. Sakurai doesn't deserve my money.

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
Your vaulted cause loses ALL credibility when you say that you would have been justified in pirating it.

Dhgriff9

Smash Rookie
Nintendo doesn't get more money from you playing a game over and over again. They do however get more money for making a new game.
Please respond to this post calling me a 4chan. I won't care.
The unfortunate truth, nintendo only wants money and doesn't care how long you play a game.

They make a game well enough for a casual player to play and like so they can sell more and get them to buy the sequel.

I don't think Sakurai should have tried to destroy competitive like he has, but he definitely wasn't going to focus one the competitive part of the game.

Nintendo only cares for the causal player, competitive players are only a tiny blip on the radar because they are a minority of the players. Melee did fine even with this because nintendo and sakurai just simply ignored depth. With brawl it will be tougher because Sakurai tried to eliminate it, but hopefully depth will come up somewhere in the game.

Linkplayer5678

Smash Apprentice
It's even not the fact that we've been "reading" it for all these years--it's the mere fact that I completely blew fifty bucks on a half-rate game expecting more. I speak honestly when I say I wish I hadn't bought Brawl, or had at least pirated it. Sakurai doesn't deserve my money.
Then go play Melee.

RDK

Smash Hero
Your vaulted cause loses ALL credibility when you say that you would have been justified in pirating it.
I would have been justified in pirating it. Your point is?

Is this going to turn into a piracy debate?

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
I would have been justified in pirating it. Your point is?

Is this going to turn into a piracy debate?
Seeing as how justifying that basically casts you in the role of someone who cares only about self entitlement...?

Bleh. Whatever.

"It sucks so common decency doesn't matter." Admirable logic, my friend.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Sakurai did not "take his game back," because we never took it from him. We played it the way we liked it, with the game rewarding the more skilled player, not always the better camper. Sakurai even said that he wanted everyone to have fun- we did so in an extraordinary fashion, in fact, many of us liked it more than the way Sakurai thought the game was going to be played.
It's devil's advocate time!

And today's question is...

"How is being the better camper not being considered the more skilled player?"

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
It's not that it means there is less skill if they can camp, it just means the game is incredibly boring to play when it becomes Pit vs Pit spamming arrows.

Samochan

Smash Master
"How is being the better camper not being considered the more skilled player?"
Because brawl way of camping doesn't need much reading of your opponent or technical aspect of the game, therefore we can consider it being less skillfull than it's melee counterpart. While on melee you still had to keep on your toes if your opponent were to attack you, on brawl you cover all the stuff with pressing one button, aka shield. And all the while retaining the advantage when being predictable because of the lack of shieldstun.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Ah, but since when was competition about being fun or being boring?

This whole argument is that this game cannot be competitive because of x or y, not that the game cannot be FUN because of them.

Having fun with a game increases one's desire to learn more, but I'd like to at least see people admit this fact, that they're upset with Brawl because they find it less FUN.

RDK

Smash Hero
Ah, but since when was competition about being fun or being boring?

This whole argument is that this game cannot be competitive because of x or y, not that the game cannot be FUN because of them.

Having fun with a game increases one's desire to learn more, but I'd like to at least see people admit this fact, that they're upset with Brawl because they find it less FUN.
To us, competitive play IS fun. That's why people are making such a big deal of this.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman

I skipped quite a few posts but yours seemed to contain the issue I want to address.

Honestly, how many people actually ran into people who knew all these techs on a regular bases? When I played melee I knew several people who were good at the game yet had no clue what a wavedash was. Even now about two of the people I've played with know what it is without me telling them. I know on these boards it seems like this place represents a large portion of the smash users, but if had to guess I 'd say 1 out of 8 people know advance techs in real life. So I would love to know where causals were meeting people in non-tourney settings and getting their ***** whipped.

But really pisses me off about all of this is the fact it was competive play that kept melee alive. I alone was able to bring in 3 people melee simply by explainging that their was more to the game than button mashing. And I'm sure others here have similar stories.

Top Bottom