• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
so much for this thread being any where near where it started. :ohwell: Brawl was just made to uncompetitive. When people go out of their way to take all the goodness of the originals its normally very bad. Brawl will have its days but people will realize how bad it is and finally go back to melee. I hope...:p

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I never said honor is a bad thing. I said in competition, it's ridiculous to not do anything in your power (within the given ruleset) to win. If not, why are you even in competition?
As long as you play you're best you have no regrets right? Its not like you're playing for your life you can always practice and come back. Some people just have honor codes which I'm not going to say limits them but to me it shows great character to have an honor code. Also, if you're good enough (and smart enough) you can outplay anyone without using anykind of underhanded tactic.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
As long as you play you're best you have no regrets right? Its not like you're playing for your life you can always practice and come back. Some people just have honor codes which I'm not going to say limits them but to me it shows great character to have an honor code. Also, if you're good enough (and smart enough) you can outplay anyone without using anykind of underhanded tactic.
If at any point someone were to play me while limiting themselves from playing the best they possibly could, I would feel dishonored. That shows a lack of respect for your opponent. It is dishonorable.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
If at any point someone were to play me while limiting themselves from playing the best they possibly could, I would feel dishonored. That shows a lack of respect for your opponent. It is dishonorable.
I fight with no limits. However, I fight my opponent as an equal to the best of my ability. If that doesn't work then its time to outhink them. Problably one of the biggest rules of combat is NEVER look down on your opponent. You never know what they know.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Brawl will have its days but people will realize how bad it is and finally go back to melee. I hope...:p
That's never going to happen to me and only me, my Melee is colecting dust right now. ;p

*Cries* WHHHHHHY!!!!!! There is no point for this thread to live, we all know that Brawl playing style is not big on competitiveness so why..... WHY!!! DX

RDK

Smash Hero
I think the amount of Brawl discs collecting dust vastly outweighs the amount of Melee discs collecting dust. Or maybe you're just the first Brawler to ever use that statement.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
-To the few of you who call Sakurai "thick headed"-What a real douchebag thing to say. It is like you blame him for everything when it was you all along who tampered with his vision.
Oldashell quote, but I'd like to point out that the customer is always right.

To sum it up, he could have made the game with competitive potential, while still retaining the fun/partygame aspect of it all. It's not that hard.

tripping is ********.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Christ, this is why people hate '08ers (and why I try to avoid the Brawl forums altogether).

I feel kind of like a foreigner coming in here, because over the years I repeatedly faded into and out of the Melee competitive scene, and eventually stopped visiting the Melee forums except to find a tournament here or there.

Mantis, we're not dealing with life or death, with the meaning of life or the secrets of the universe, or the defense of freedom and liberty. We're talking about Super Smash Bros., a video game. Don't bring this talk of "honor" and "character" into the matter. It's just a game. It is a game that people try to play competitively so they can win. If an underhanded tactic is the way to win, then by all means! Use it! There are a few that cross the line (and thus, are banned in competitive play). But if it is allowed, then use it!

It is also not true to say that "if you're smart and good, you can beat anyone" (especially without "underhanded tactics", as you call them). If that were true, there would be no purpose to creating tier lists or using some characters over others.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Christ, this is why people hate '08ers (and why I try to avoid the Brawl forums altogether).

I feel kind of like a foreigner coming in here, because over the years I repeatedly faded into and out of the Melee competitive scene, and eventually stopped visiting the Melee forums except to find a tournament here or there.

Mantis, we're not dealing with life or death, with the meaning of life or the secrets of the universe, or the defense of freedom and liberty. We're talking about Super Smash Bros., a video game. Don't bring this talk of "honor" and "character" into the matter. It's just a game. It is a game that people try to play competitively so they can win. If an underhanded tactic is the way to win, then by all means! Use it! There are a few that cross the line (and thus, are banned in competitive play). But if it is allowed, then use it!

It is also not true to say that "if you're smart and good, you can beat anyone" (especially without "underhanded tactics", as you call them). If that were true, there would be no purpose to creating tier lists or using some characters over others.
Like I said honor is important no matter what you're doing in life. Please don't take what I have to say out of context or make a big deal out of something that I said that wasn't supposed to be a big deal in the first place. All I'm saying is that I play with an honor code and it shouldn't be a big deal how I play to you because its the way I play.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Like I said honor is important no matter what you're doing in life. Please don't take what I have to say out of context or make a big deal out of something that I said that wasn't supposed to be a big deal in the first place. All I'm saying is that I play with an honor code and it shouldn't be a big deal how I play to you because its the way I play.
Honor is not important if you want to win. You are thinking like a scrub.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Im just going to say this once. Honor does not exist.

Fletch

Smash Master
Three words: Play to win. If you don't abide by these, then competitive gaming, or competitive anything, is not for you.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Like I said honor is the most important thing in the world. I don't really care for AT's. I could really give a **** about wavedashing or any other crap in Melee or Brawl. Its just not my way to play. It doesn't make me a less skilled player it means its not my way to play.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Like I said honor is the most important thing in the world.
Lol at this sentence and everything thats wrong with it. Honor is the most important thing in the world? "Honor" is a set of rules put on you by yourself or by someone else to make life "Fair." Thats all it is, another word for "fair." It's not FAIR to use abilities your opponent doesn't know how to properly use, despite the fact that its their fault that they didn't learn to use them. It's not FAIR that my main character is so much worse than your main character, despite the fact that I readily knew the tier list. Its not FAIR that blah blah blah blah. Honor only exists because we pretend it does. If this were a life or death battle, if winning a match of smash bros were to decide if I was killed or not, I would shoot my opponent in the head before the match starts so I know I win. Granted, thats an extreme(and not allowed in tournaments apparently) but if you go to a tournament, and money is on the line, honor is nothing more than an imaginary cage that keeps you from winning.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Lol at this sentence and everything thats wrong with it. Honor is the most important thing in the world? "Honor" is a set of rules put on you by yourself or by someone else to make life "Fair." Thats all it is, another word for "fair." It's not FAIR to use abilities your opponent doesn't know how to properly use, despite the fact that its their fault that they didn't learn to use them. It's not FAIR that my main character is so much worse than your main character, despite the fact that I readily knew the tier list. Its not FAIR that blah blah blah blah. Honor only exists because we pretend it does. If this were a life or death battle, if winning a match of smash bros were to decide if I was killed or not, I would shoot my opponent in the head before the match starts so I know I win. Granted, thats an extreme(and not allowed in tournaments apparently) but if you go to a tournament, and money is on the line, honor is nothing more than an imaginary cage that keeps you from winning.
Men live by codes of honor.

Fletch

Smash Master
Too bad about that rule not being implemented, might actually make Brawl tournaments interesting.

ApplesOfDoom

Smash Journeyman
Lol just because you went through puberty doesn't make you a man. Well it does in the physical aspect. But as far as the decisions you make, being responsible, fighting fair, and being you. I think that defines manhood.
It was a joke. But puberty also changes your mentality, by the way.

Honor isn't everything to life. If it was, you'd be left with nothing. Sometimes you have to let go of honor and fight to live. Thats it. Since smash is a competitive game, theres no honor. Why would someone lose, for the sake of honor? It's all about winning.

Also I'm having a feeling you've lost, therefore you start resorting to "being a man" comments.
Listen to yourself. Be honorable, and accept that what you say is "honor", is wrong.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If this were a life or death battle, if winning a match of smash bros were to decide if I was killed or not, I would shoot my opponent in the head before the match starts so I know I win. Granted, thats an extreme(and not allowed in tournaments apparently).
I would kill for that rule! Get it? Kill? Anyone?

And honor is a stupid conception.

Joe Smasher: I'm obviously better than you, but I will use Captain Falcon this round because of honor.
Jill Smasher: *uses Meta-Knight*
Joe Smasher: I may have lost, but my honor is still intact.
Jill Smasher: *goes on to win the 150 dollar prize*

Honor has no place in competitive environments.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The only thing that's honor or fighting like a man in video games is that you don't use a cheat code or cheating devices to win a fight against your foe.

P.S. I still don't like this thread being bumped. =/

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
It was a joke. But puberty also changes your mentality, by the way.

Honor isn't everything to life. If it was, you'd be left with nothing. Sometimes you have to let go of honor and fight to live. Thats it. Since smash is a competitive game, theres no honor. Why would someone lose, for the sake of honor? It's all about winning.

Also I'm having a feeling you've lost, therefore you start resorting to "being a man" comments.
Listen to yourself. Have some honor, and accept that what you say about honor is wrong.
Its not even about me winning or losing. Its just that I play with an honor code. Its not that big of a deal people.

Top Bottom