• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

Epok

Smash Ace
Ah the good ol’ honor code. I must admit for a while I struggled with that same thing. A lot of people love the idea that what make them a good player in any competitive game is that they don’t do cheap things. But, we have to ask ourselves what is cheap? If Cheap means taking advantage of something that works a majority of the time than to me being cheap isn’t really all that bad. To me Cheap is just a jon, the honor code is a jon. Because there is an ideal that trumps the honor code and to me, It’s called respect. I know that my opponent is going to do whatever it takes to win just as well as he knows I am going to do the same thing. What some people don’t understand it that it’s nothing personal. A player might not be out to destroy you and embarrass you. But he should do any thing that is legal to win.
In my spare time I study martial arts I have been studying for traditional TKD for 10 years( not that XMA bull****). We are told to be respectful and gentle people. But, when it is time to defend our self we must do whatever it takes to ensure our safety. I could know all the super cool spin kicks and animals style, and whatever else. But to be honest if someone is trying to cause me bodily harm. Im probably going to kick you in that balls lol. As cheap as that sounds it safe, quick and effective.
Here is some good reading for anybody trying to get better. Which should be everybody. Im sure a lot of you people have herd of David Sirlin if you know a little bit about Street Fighter. He wrote a book on playing to win here is a link where you can read it

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

not trying to offend anyone who goes by the honor code but all I think that is barrier that stops people from being better. I learned the hard way just like a lot of people. And I hope I can open some minds.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I'm seeing 2 sides here...
1st Side: Purple Mantis saying he likes to play with honor
2nd Side: Many peepz saying he's a scrub for playing with honor

First of all, is PM stupid for playing with honor codes? Does it make him lesser human? No...
It even makes him more human to a certain extent, because he carries an extra emotion into ''battle''.
So saying he's a scrub for doing so is just very narrowminded, since people just got different values and he happens to have one you all don't, and the way you talk to him is pretty disrespectfull imo.

Second, Psycho Mantis is wrong on many aspects also...PM, you should try to learn to accept the fact that you have lost discussions (although not all of 'em) and not take the discussion away from the main road it's rolling on (manliness????)

Third (and this is a contribution to the actual discussion), I use all the AT's I can possibly use, but I also play with an honor code, my friends all do, the ONLY honor code we have is that we don't edgehog....and it's not that I find edgehogging lame, it's that some of my friends find it lame and too easy to do, which takes away some challenge in their gameplay. I don't mind playing with this one code, since it doesn't take away anything important, it just adds the fact that you have to do more things to KO your opponent, which is fun and challenging...
As for a tourney, hell yeah, I would use an edgehog if I got the chance, because the people there all Play2Win...
When playing with my friends, we ALL play to win, but because certain friends don't like edgehogging, we've accepted that and respect their values...
And to be honest, I think that's not what's going on here, people seem to have different values about gameplay here, if people play with honor codes, let them be, it's not that just because they have codes they lack the mind and matter for a competitive gamer, it is their way to play and theirs alone, other people shouldn't call someone like that a scrub, it is DISRESPECTFUL

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
No, trust me when I tell you that the will to win is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how skilled you are if you don't care enough to try your most(See the first half of any Isai match)
Agreed wholeheartedly. The will to win is what I consider to be the most important spiritual thing in any competition. When you get two people evenly matched who are just as learned in the game and tactics as each other, I think you get to see who wants the win far more.
It's what makes competition fun, in my opinion.

RDK

Smash Hero
Agreed wholeheartedly. The will to win is what I consider to be the most important spiritual thing in any competition. When you get two people evenly matched who are just as learned in the game and tactics as each other, I think you get to see who wants the win far more.
It's what makes competition fun, in my opinion.
What the hell does spirituality have to do with competition?

You guys say the most nonsensical things.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
First off, who the hell bumped this thread?! Seriously, guys, let's just let it go.

Secondly, honor is great, but it's a two-way street. If both people don't agree to fight with what they consider to be 'honor', then the whole concept collapses. It's also a 'no-turning-back' situation in that once one person has broken the 'honor code', the entire community loses trust in each other and fails to uphold it themselves. The classic example is war. The British came into America (then the colonies) using a globally accepted 'honor code' for war (line up your troops, take turns volleying, etc.). Those were the rules of war, until the colonists decided not to care about the established 'honor code' and created a new one (or rather, a lack of one) in guerilla warfare.

Now, the only 'honor code' we have is the SBR ruleset. That's it. No other honor code exists, and if you think there is one, you're wrong. If you think there should be one, that's debatable, but there isn't anything past that ruleset now.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
First off, who the hell bumped this thread?! Seriously, guys, let's just let it go.

Secondly, honor is great, but it's a two-way street. If both people don't agree to fight with what they consider to be 'honor', then the whole concept collapses. It's also a 'no-turning-back' situation in that once one person has broken the 'honor code', the entire community loses trust in each other and fails to uphold it themselves. The classic example is war. The British came into America (then the colonies) using a globally accepted 'honor code' for war (line up your troops, take turns volleying, etc.). Those were the rules of war, until the colonists decided not to care about the established 'honor code' and created a new one (or rather, a lack of one) in guerilla warfare.

Now, the only 'honor code' we have is the SBR ruleset. That's it. No other honor code exists, and if you think there is one, you're wrong. If you think there should be one, that's debatable, but there isn't anything past that ruleset now.
iv been saying that for a while i would have no honor or pride as a smasher if i did what melee1 did to infinity what an ***

FalconPunch

Smash Journeyman
Look at me! I have honor. I help my opponent back on the ledge. I apologize whenever I hit then. When they do something good I give em a nice smack on the butt and say "Good job!! Hang in there!!". I can't believe you would do something so cruel and unusual as fighting without honor. That's what smash is all about!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Honor my ***. I never hold back but when people hold back on me I get bored so either go hard or don't waste my time.

Corigames

Smash Hero
My form of honor is playing to my fullest ability against any opponent at any time. You have no honor if you aren't giving your all against someone.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

That's the only "honor code" I go by. As for anything outside of that, all is fair in love and war. Emphasis on war.
So yeah, I knew Melee was never meant to be competitive. Neither was SSB64. Things like wavedashing, L-cancelling, and hitstun long enough to allow for multi-hit inescapable combos were there due to the developers overlooking some programming. They didn't overlook too much for Brawl though (unfortuntely). Brawl is still great. I'll keep playing it until SSB4 comes out. I hope there will be a SSB4. ;o

metaXzero

Smash Champion
That's the only "honor code" I go by. As for anything outside of that, all is fair in love and war. Emphasis on war.
So yeah, I knew Melee was never meant to be competitive. Neither was SSB64. Things like wavedashing, L-cancelling, and hitstun long enough to allow for multi-hit inescapable combos were there due to the developers overlooking some programming. They didn't overlook too much for Brawl though (unfortuntely). Brawl is still great. I'll keep playing it until SSB4 comes out. I hope there will be a SSB4. ;o
L-canceling is an Easter egg based on 64 Z-canceling, wavedashing is just part of the physics engine, and only Smash 64 was based on inescapable combos. Please look up things about Melee before commenting about them.

Also, All of Brawl's chaingrabs would like a word with you.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
An just when I thought this thread would die. Anyway, I hate to say this but wavedashing is a glitch. The makers of melee never intended for us to wavedash in the first place. The reason I say its a glitch is because:1.Do they teach you how to wavedash in the instruction booklet? 2.Is wavedashing taught in the game training video? 3.Its not in Brawl 4.http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Talk:Tourney***#I_found_some_contradiction_from_tourney***s

Basically wavedashing is like going to the ATM and asking for $10 and instead it gives you a bunch of $20's.Just like wavedashing, I don't think the makers of the ATM intended for you to do that.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
An just when I thought this thread would die. Anyway, I hate to say this but wavedashing is a glitch. The makers of melee never intended for us to wavedash in the first place. The reason I say its a glitch is because:1.Do they teach you how to wavedash in the instruction booklet? 2.Is wavedashing taught in the game training video? 3.Its not in Brawl 4.

Basically wavedashing is like going to the ATM and asking for $10 and instead it gives you a bunch of $20's.Just like wavedashing, I don't think the makers of the ATM intended for you to do that.
Stop trolling. Wavedashing is an exploitation of game physics; it even has a name when you access the game's debug menu via AR, called "Landfall Special."

Smooth Criminal

§leepy God

Smash Master
I haven't trolled in this thread in a long time.... it was fun while it lasted. XD Right now, I want to know why is this thread needlessly bumped? Well since Smooth Criminal is here..... ok after this, I won't post on this thread for real.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I haven't trolled in this thread in a long time.... it was fun while it lasted. XD Right now, I want to know why is this thread needlessly bumped? Well since Smooth Criminal is here..... ok after this, I won't post on this thread for real.
LMAO at the link you have posted.

<3 No grudges. It is annoying that people keep bumping this thread. I wish the mods would just close it outright. Both sides have illustrated their points; now we just want to move on with our (gaming) lives and play whatever the hell it is that we prefer.

Smooth Criminal

Geist

Smash Master
I remember this thread.
I havn't posted here in forever <3
I sent Sakurai a nasty letter once. He never responded. =[

lol at purple mantis.
Glitch: game processing information that doesn't follow the rules of the programming. EX IC freeze glitch
Exploit: game processing information that does follow the rules of the programming, but in a way that was not intended to be used. EX, wding. All wding is is the physics engine using your momentum and sliding your character by traction.
Do we have to go through all this again?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
LMAO at the link you have posted.

<3 No grudges. It is annoying that people keep bumping this thread. I wish the mods would just close it outright. Both sides have illustrated their points; now we just want to move on with our (gaming) lives and play whatever the hell it is that we prefer.

Smooth Criminal
lol I wanted this thread to be closed in the first place. I just wanted the world to know that some of their "AT's are fluke.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
lol I wanted this thread to be closed in the first place. I just wanted the world to know that some of their "AT's are fluke.
No, you just want to infuriate the Melee players with your bull****. Big difference.

I motion for a lock and for anybody browsing here to report Purple Mantis.

Smooth Criminal

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
And this thread.... well not die. ;_;

You know what's a really competitive game? Panel De Pon, and I'm going to play it right now. :D

Tyfighter got a point, this is my last time posting in this thread.

Sylentwind

Smash Rookie
i knew he didnt want it to be competitive from the first look at the ssbb trailer and stuff.... so brawl really sux

who wants to brawl with me tho? srsly, anyone brawl is sooooooo lame

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Why the did/do people whine about this.

Complaining about Brawl not being competitively friendly is like complaining Mario party 8 isn't competitively friendly.

They are party games >.>
If Brawl was meant as a competitive franchise then....well....lol.

Top Bottom