• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [SA] Adelaide/ South Australia Smash Community

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I have 72 reasons that Golden sun >Gradius
Name them.

oh btw: quick question, does anyone actually own an NTSC version of Melee? it seems to be dramatically more asian than its PAL counterpart. im totally at a loss as to why there's two different versions, so dont rage at me if im being a huge noob D:

clarification for this: i was reading on a few pages that link counters IC's but i was wondering if that was based of the NTSC version, cuz his UpB can semi-spike in NTSC, but not in PAL, which would **** IC's with separation anxiety :S
These are the gameplay differences in PAL:
Bowser, Kirby, and Yoshi are each heavier.
Marth, Fox, and Mario are each lighter. This puts Marth below the weight threshold of standing up during Fox's shine.
Falco's down aerial only spikes for the first half of the animation. The rest sends the opponent slightly up.
Sheik's up aerial isn't as strong. In addition, it has one less frame of hitbox lag.
Marth's down aerial is a Meteor smash.
Fox's down and forward smashes are less powerful.
Fox's up smash weakened, damage dropped from 18% in NTSC to 17% in PAL, knockback dramatically weakened.
Yoshi's forward smash is more powerful.
Peach's dash attack is less powerful.
Luigi's neutral aerial is less powerful.
Ganondorf's down aerial inflicts less damage, from 22% in NTSC to 21% in PAL.
Ganondorf's forward aerial has dramatically decreased in terms of knockback, in PAL his back aerial is more powerful.
Yoshi's down aerial inflicts less damage, from 44% in NTSC to 36% in PAL.
Fox's forward aerial has more range on its hitbox.
DI on Sheik's down throw has been changed so that it can no longer chain throw consistently.
Fox can tech out of Falco's down throw in PAL.
Link's spin attack is no longer a semi-spike.
Bowser's down throw can hit Mr. Game & Watch.
Link's super jump glitch was removed.
Samus's extended grapple beam was removed.
The Freeze Glitch was removed.

The reason there are two different versions (there are actually 4, but whatever >_>) is because when the game was ported to PAL they thought they'd "fix" as many things as they could. This includes fixing glitches and nerfing top tiers.

Lawl at Link countering the Ice Climbers in either version.

They will **** an unexperienced IC, yeah, but if you know the match-up it's easy as.

Up-B out of shield is a great tool for him against the ICs (in PAL and NTSC), but it no way puts the MU in Link's favour.

I'd say 60:40 at best.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Double post.
Now I know why I said Ghost.
It's because you failed your wobbling against me by having the smash attack ghost/phantom/whatever it's called, lul.
That'll teach you. <3

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That'll teach me? I was playing against PEACH for god's sake.

And now you are picking up Samus >_>

Peach - 30:70
Samus - 30:70
Marth - 40:60

I swear, if you start using Ganondorf (35-65) I will never play against you again.

Ever.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I only like Samus' u-tilt and Super Missiles.
Also next time I'll host it might be at the other house.
I can't be bothered with my room here, I hate it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
most recent teir match ups? idk, find me a mroe reliable source that proves otherwise? im not saying link . IC's, link is too slow of a character, he's like nerfed version of marth with an unreliable projectile.
There is no reliable source at the moment, because the match-up charts are being re-done.

I thought you meant 55(Link):45(ICs)

I'd compare Link more to Ganondorf than Marth, but eh. Hardly matters.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
He's also hilariously loud.

Erg Olimar rage, srsly.
That being said, W150, yours is good, and this country has like 1 Olimar main now.
I just hate Olimar because I'm Snake.

I think I'm liking Melee Marth more than Peach now.
Tech chasing weeeeeeeeeee.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
If only I could practice.
I'll get a Melee disc sooner or later.
Then I'll learn Falco/Fox & Samus.

I'm adding another move to my list of notables, though.
SHLFFD - Short hop laser fast fall death.

Azernus

Smash Apprentice
I hate Sheik with a passion. :@
:(

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

also grim, how the **** do you short hop with Sheik.. i seriously cannot do it without the control stick... i can do it with falco, falco, marth, dorf anyone, just not sheik T_T

Azernus

Smash Apprentice
I hate Sheik with a passion. :@

also grim

I can actually short-hop whenever I want to! Which means I can use my Fox/Sheik again, and use all my other characters better as well!

how the **** do you short hop with Sheik.. i seriously cannot do it without the control stick... i can do it with falco, falco, marth, dorf anyone, just not sheik T_T

and i have probably spent 10+ hpours in training/bot matches trying to do it over the past week

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

also grim

how the **** do you short hop with Sheik.. i seriously cannot do it without the control stick... i can do it with falco, falco, marth, dorf anyone, just not sheik T_T

and i have probably spent 10+ hpours in training/bot matches trying to do it over the past week
I use tap jump, it makes everything insanely easier for me.

I can't short hop consistently with the buttons.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ghostbone

Smash Master

also grim

Erm.....

Oh and I can short hop with the buttons now :D (it just takes a lot of practice......)
But I still SHDL with the control stick. (too hard to go from Y to B)
But yea Sheik, IC, Fox and Pichu have the shortest jump animation or something, so you have to press and let go in 1/20 (1/30?) of a second or something.........

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just press the jump as fast as you can, that's all there is too it :)
That's only partially true. This is how short-hopping works:

In-between the actual jump animation and the pressing of the jump button, there is an animation called jumpsquat. If jump is still held down during the jumpsquat animation, you'll full hop, if it's released, you'll short hop.

So the difficulty of a short hop depends entirely on how long the jumpsquat animation is, Bowser has the longest and Fox has the shortest.

I short-hop by moving the control stick up and smashing it back down, if you are doing it with a button, it requires releasing the button fast enough.

EDIT: Fox's is 2 frames if I remember correctly.

Azernus

Smash Apprentice
soz meant falcon and falco

@azernus

Try use an easier char to short jump first then work you way up.

Just press the jump as fast as you can, that's all there is too it :)
i already can, i can do it with 90% of chars just no ICs (dont play ICs ever) pichu and peach (never played peach either lol) i cant do it consistently with fox but im finding it harder with shiek :S maybe cuz im used to full hopping after 3 years of noob playing ><

Why smash the control stick back down?
Just flick it....
i cant flick, i break controllers :(

Top Bottom