• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryoko dusts off ye olde Sheik

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
awesome: I have your youtube account already listed in the Multimedia section of the directory thread so those videos will be viewable through that as well.

You do have a really mad Sheik game though and against Luigi at that.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Judging by the first two vids:

You don't seem to be at all adventurous when it comes to edgeguarding. Perhaps it's just the Luigi matchup but there were probably about 5 times you could have used the chain to edgeguard.

Obviously F-smash was the fatal weapon. It's a hard move to avoid but you kind of linger near Luigi if he's sheilding or if you miss a move. You're very quick which is quite impressive and your spacing is good, imo, you just need to watch how long you stay close to him for.

Oh, you tend to smash very rarely. Again, perhaps preserving moves but he could have been killed a lot faster. Speaking of which when you were Zelda you never tried to spike. iirc luigi can be easy to spike since he leaves himself open.

Eitherway whatever you're doing seems to be working.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
A very simple but lethal style. You were not just bulls******* when you were telling us about the wonders of attack decay.

Your punishment game with Sheik and Zelda is how it should be........dtilt with Zelda and ftilt with Sheik. Those are easily the best moves for Zelda and Sheik and you exploit it to the fullest. You play very safe and rarely ever take any unnecessary risks.

Nothing in these vids really struck me as new or anything, but I was very interested in your tech chase off of Zeldas dtilt into a lightning kick.....something i'm going to look into. Also liked your usage of dair for Sheik and how you seem to be the only Zelda player who knows how good her jabs are.

As for the matches themselves, not much to say about them. I'm pretty sure whenever Magus recovered low with a rising tornado, a dtilt from Zelda or the chain from Sheik would have been very effective......but whatever I realize they were just friendlies.

Good stuff, I enjoyed them. Magus has a very good Luigi by the way.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Magus uses so much Green Missile. O_o

But seriously, amazing matches.

demodemo

Smash Ace
to be honest, ive never seen videos of you where you particularly good, and i was pretty skeptical about how good you really were

seriously, no doubt about it now, you are really good. no, like seriously good, i don't know if any other sheik players who upload videos are better than you. good ****, especially against luigi, and magus of all people.

you are really unperdictable, you're fairs are all very well placed and autocancelled, and i'm glad i'm not the only one who knows how good ftilt uair is.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You play a very jeet kune do Sheik, in that everything superflous is stripped away and only the best option is used, demonstrated with your F Tilt abuse, just because it's the best. Then of course, there's just your general skill as a player. We all really need to take a lesson from Ryoko's playstyle, efficiency is key.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
You play a very jeet kune do Sheik, in that everything superflous is stripped away and only the best option is used, demonstrated with your F Tilt abuse, just because it's the best. Then of course, there's just your general skill as a player. We all really need to take a lesson from Ryoko's playstyle, efficiency is key.
Fight Club, JKD (Bruce Lee's fighting style) Samurai Champloo and other what not's. Even if Blistering may have a disliking for me I dig his taste in things.
And on that topic of what you said about comparing his style with JKD, I can see what you mean. No flashy what not's, just what it takes to win and utilizing all to obtain that goal.

rinoH

Smash Lord
nice matches Ryoko i really liked it though you seem to play a little defensive though probably cuz its Luigi

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ryoko, you have some awesome style. I am going to steal some of your moves. ^_^

I've been working on ways to make Zelda "faster". I like your tactic of jump (fake), fall, and down-tilt surprise.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahah, not bad! your sheik is very... random. your dash attacks are funny, which is okay because that move is so fast that no one ever sees it coming. if you connect, more power to you, if you dont, you get punished.

i like what you do when your ftilt connects. ftilt to uair, to double jump aerial is pretty good, even though it's rare for someone to fall for that, it's nice that uair creates the possibility of another aerial. good way to damage a floaty like luigi. but imo you didnt camp luigi enough

i like your sheik style cuz its very unpredictable, your very random approaches (empty sh/air dodge, dash attack, and other stuff) and defense stuff (back short hop fair, chain) give you a nice, flavorful sheik. imo your sheik spacing couldve used a lot more needles, but thats just me.

(i'd probably play the match with much more camping, needles, and bair, but that's just me.) honir said you played a little defensive, but to me i would've been even more defensive LOL

your zelda, on the other hand, was very good and i could learn a lot from it. perhaps it could even be your zelda's maneuvers of empty short hop fakeouts and other spacing tools that have influenced your sheik to do the same thing sometimes.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
great stuff Ryoko u r the master ;)
ur use of ftilt is especially intimidating i think, and i'll have to work on fast fall aerials more...i see now it improves mobility

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
We met up again a couple days ago and have a few more Sheik videos to share. It is more of the same, but I'm assuming you guys are into that sort of thing.

-I also fail to see how Luigi is more difficult for Sheik than Zelda.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
-I also fail to see how Luigi is more difficult for Sheik than Zelda.
If Magus would play at least a tiny bit aggressive and actually throw out some of Luigi's hitboxes........i'm certain you would feel differently.

Great Ganon back in the Melee days.....but you can tell that he doesn't play Brawl much.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
o.o Is this really you playing Ryoko?

Stop rolling so much. [In your second video there was a point where you dodged/rolled about 3 times in less than a second], I don't know if Luigi's back air has longer reach than Sheik's but I don't think it does, thus space with your back airs. Auto-cancel your aerials. When Luigi was at lower percents, when you didn't do this you got punished for it. Mix it up. Biggest example was you hit Luigi off the level, pulled out the chain, but he still managed to get back, and you Vanished and killed him, but you kept doing it. [I can't remember if that was over the span of one video, or the last two, but if it was the latter disregard that part of my comment.] As risky as vanish is, I agree that it is a good mix-up but when you do it, please vanish back onto the ground, and not somewhere up in the air.

All in all, the videos are ok, but I think you can and have played better.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Vanishing into the air is strictly better because the proper height gives you a lagless landing.

Magus420

Smash Master
What are these hitboxes of his that get around f-tilt's range+speed? What at all really does Zelda do so much better than Sheik in the matchup anyway? The only thing I can really think of is she is a bit less vulnerable to certain strings/combos, but that doesn't matter too much considering she only needs to be hit a couple times before she gets hit by a jab or f-smash (which is also much easier to do against her) and dies in the 55-85 range on average. It's also way easier to land those starters on Zelda in the first place, plus she gets ***** by jab combos (free 18%+ with d-smash before 50ish, and oftentimes death with up-b after then) while Sheik is almost immune to them completely.

Zelda actually has punishable openings on her ranged moves. Sheik has easier to land and safer moves that lead to kills, generally kills at lower damage (unless you get KOd and lose your staled f-tilt when he's in that damage range), lands hits easier, better projectile, comparable in racking damage, better at avoiding combo starters and especially KO moves, etc.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
she gets ***** by jab combos (free 18%+ with d-smash before 50ish, and oftentimes death with up-b after then) while Sheik is almost immune to them completely.

Will someone please explain how Sheik is almost immune to them?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
What are these hitboxes of his that get around f-tilt's range+speed? What at all really does Zelda do so much better than Sheik in the matchup anyway? The only thing I can really think of is she is a bit less vulnerable to certain strings/combos, but that doesn't matter too much considering she only needs to be hit a couple times before she gets hit by a jab or f-smash (which is also much easier to do against her) and dies in the 55-85 range on average. It's also way easier to land those starters on Zelda in the first place, plus she gets ***** by jab combos (free 18%+ with d-smash before 50ish, and oftentimes death with up-b after then) while Sheik is almost immune to them completely.

Zelda actually has punishable openings on her ranged moves. Sheik has easier to land and safer moves that lead to kills, generally kills at lower damage (unless you get KOd and lose your staled f-tilt when he's in that damage range), lands hits easier, better projectile, comparable in racking damage, better at avoiding combo starters and especially KO moves, etc.
Ftilt isn't some completely safe move like some people make it out to be, if you really have that much trouble getting around a move with as little range as ftilt then I don't know what to say. Luigi is a very versatile character, you can mix in SH approaches, FH approaches, nados, and even simple dash shields like you are accustomed to doing. In fact his jab has better speed than ftilt and has nearly as much range as is. I'm fairly certain you could spam bair a little more as well to prevent Ryoko from ftilting you a hundred times every stock.

Here are my reasons why I feel as a Sheik/Zelda main that Zelda does better in the matchup.

Usmash and jab limiting Luigi to mainly ground approaches, she outranges him on the ground, she is harder to grab than Sheik as her moveset is a bit safer than Sheiks, Luigi can be hit with bair OoS, dtilt clanks with all of his ground moves and hits on frame 5.

Zelda can interrupt any of Luigi's jab combos with Naryus, dying early is player dependent as Sheik has nearly the same character weight.

Top Bottom