• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumors Run Rampant! History of SSBB's rumors

devious_nucleus

Smash Cadet
another rumor that i personally debunked was one saying knuckles was an AT. in the sonic joins the brawl video, on skyworld a red thing is on the bottom floor, then spins and goes into the ground, and someone said it was knuckles. it was, in fact, a spring.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@AdmentNESS:I added your picture to the first post. You are credited
@xbrinkx:I thouhgt of the Sonic in ZSS rumor when you first posted about that. I'll add that one in the future and credit you.
@Goopygoo:Yeah, it was, but it didn't get much life (clumped in with many rumors). The Dragoon item gave it life though.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Wasn't the Japanese release date rumor saying it was the 22nd of NOVEMBER not December?

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
This thread is actually useful. This thing should be stickied or floated or something of that calibur...

I have the feeling that this list will be filling up more and more and more as January 24 arrives, unfortunately...

XACE-K

Smash Master
For some reason I think the next rumor will be that the updates between January 7 and January 23 will be big updates.Reason being that the Dojo will be taking a break until the 7th and the 23rd being the day before Brawl comes out in Japan.I also think somebody will copy my idea and take the credit if it's true.By the way good job on the thread.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Thanks Smashchu. This thread should be stickied for any old rumors revived because they didn't know it wasn't true. Sticky this thread!

FallenAngelPit

Smash Apprentice
rumors make the world go 'round.

wasn't there a rumorthat the sheik & ganon models had been desighned (sp?) its in the blog if you wanna check it out.

great thread, deserves a sticky & smyn shoutout

farewell :cool:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
rumors make the world go 'round.

wasn't there a rumorthat the sheik & ganon models had been desighned (sp?) its in the blog if you wanna check it out.

great thread, deserves a sticky & smyn shoutout

farewell :cool:
That;s not a rumor, that is actually true

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@FallenAngelPit: It was never a rumor since an official source for the info was given. It's like with the Brawl delay. It wasn't a rumor it was going to be delayed since the date was removed from the site.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Upon reading that GameFAQs post, I think I can say that the MOD bashing the thread creator is an absolute imbecile...
I have to agree that I felt sorry for how the guy was being treated so harshly, even if it was just a rumor. He never said his info was all absolutely true.

Also, instead of just stickying this, just ask for it to be added to the Thread Finder.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I just wanted to mention Conspiracy Theoracy by SamuraiPanda to be added. Thread was locked recently, but it still left questions unanswered. Now I don't want to start to remind some nubs of this so they make threads so just remind in it that it had a lot of holes in it.

(I wish I could've pointed out that Donkey Kong wasn't in the JumpFesta demo while Diddy was in so these differences some people found with Kirby in were kinda forgetting something. But that's all I have to say.)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
to: SmashChu

the final rumor. It was posted on smashboards only recently, however, the actual "prophecy" was posted on a GameFaqs board after the stage builder was confirmed and lost into obscurity as it was believed to be BS. The rumor has since resurfaced as the dragoon was confirmed.

<http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40411864&page=13>

Even better Link: <http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40411864&page=27> look for: ChaosZero

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to believe, like many others are, in the last rumor. First stage builder, then the dragoon predicition was correct. No reason not to believe IMO.

BlueWave

Smash Apprentice
If Nya confessed, it wasn't on this site according this his posts...I searched though them
Whoops, sorry, I was wrong. I looked back and saw the post I was thinking about again. It was edited by another user saying it was fake. NyaseNya never said he was lying. What's interesting is that he said Ness is returning, just like the most credible rumor I've seen so far (the one from GameFAQs that predicted the Dragoon). Then again, he says the Link from WW/PH is in, but called Toon Link. So yea, I don't know how credible he is.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
to: SmashChu

the final rumor. It was posted on smashboards only recently, however, the actual "prophecy" was posted on a GameFaqs board after the stage builder was confirmed and lost into obscurity as it was believed to be BS. The rumor has since resurfaced as the dragoon was confirmed.

<http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40411864&page=13>

Even better Link: <http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40411864&page=27> look for: ChaosZero
So let me get this straight, the prophecy was given and fell into obscurity, and now when its most unlikely part is proven true, he's jumping up saying "I TOLD YOU SO!?" He's chosing his words carefully, using that "You'll see" that I believe even the charming BlueWave used.

Black/Light

Smash Master
The kicker to me is that this chaos guy said this. . .

"Well. Seems the guy was right. Maybe you shouldn't be so angry when a guy politely relays a rumor he heard. I honestly don't even care any more. I'm not saying anything more. Go ahead and think the rest of my stuff was made up and this was the only true fact.

I don't care."

He b****es about how people where mean to him and than says he aint saying anything else. . . must have lil self-esteam to be soo shacken by something that happened soo long ago. Or he doesn't want to slip up and say something that counters his new "cred" with members there, showing him to be a fake.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The kicker to me is that this chaos guy said this. . .

"Well. Seems the guy was right. Maybe you shouldn't be so angry when a guy politely relays a rumor he heard. I honestly don't even care any more. I'm not saying anything more. Go ahead and think the rest of my stuff was made up and this was the only true fact.

I don't care."

He b****es about how people where mean to him and than says he aint saying anything else. . . must have lil self-esteam to be soo shacken by something that happened soo long ago. Or he doesn't want to slip up and say something that counters his new "cred" with members there, showing him to be a fake.
That's what I mean, either he's REALLY pathetic or is a troll...he's acting like a troll and I can't believe someone really is that pathetic

Puffs

Smash Ace
Maybe this thread should be closed. I get the feeling the uprise of trolling is partially due to pitiful spammers trying to get themselves recognized on the first post of this thread.

fos

Smash Cadet
i'm starting to believe what the gamefaq's guy post.. with the only reason, he predicted, there would be 3 PIECES to recolect for the dragoon,.. i dont think he was so lucky.. maybe his information is 50-50 credible...

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Actually, I believe that Famitsu interview was thoroughly debunked (by me no less). As far as I know, the guy who made the rumor scanned a picture of the interview he claimed talked about SSBB. Someone then sent the picture to me via PM as soon as it was up, and I translated it to discover no mention of Brawl in the least.

And by the way, my Conspiracy Theoracy is NOT a rumor, it was simply a theory about a possibility. And I was the one that locked it. The level of intelligence of the people responding dropped below a salvageable level.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ah, I found many of the rumors mentioned in this topic. As the Japanese release inches closer and closer, I will be looking even more rigorously for any new rumors or possible roster leaks. The sad thing is I can definitely see more "prophets" popping up claiming to have inside information when they don't. However, remember, even a nonsensical roster can be real, need I remind you of what happened when Melee's roster was leaked?

Diddy&Dixie4evr

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I found many of the rumors mentioned in this topic. As the Japanese release inches closer and closer, I will be looking even more rigorously for any new rumors or possible roster leaks. The sad thing is I can definitely see more "prophets" popping up claiming to have inside information when they don't. However, remember, even a nonsensical roster can be real, need I remind you of what happened when Melee's roster was leaked?
Idk, what happened I always love a good story, tell me what happened when you can.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Idk, what happened I always love a good story, tell me what happened when you can.
Ah, yes the Melee-roster-speculation days. If you thought the Nook Wars, you should have seen the Toad Wars and the Trophy Wars. However, the most infamous war was the Leak War.

Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

Here is my personal experience regarding when the Melee roster leaked:

Characters that I liked were Luigi (I wanted him to return), Jigglypuff (ditto), Mewtwo (one of my favorite Pokemon back then), Ganondorf, Falco, and Mr. Game & Watch (I am a big fan of the Game & Watch games).

Characters that I was unsure about were Marth, because I was very unfamiliar with the Fire Emblem series back then. I was also very surprised by the inclusion of a Game & Watch character, but it was awesome nevertheless.

However, there were characters on it that definitely made me think "lol, this roster is fake." They were Dr. Mario (why add another version of Mario and not Wario), Pichu (why not Raichu), Young Link, and Roy. Roy was a funny one. I originally though Roy was actually Roy Koopa and I was liked, "huh, they decided to put Roy Koopa in as a playable character, why did they choose him over the other Koopalings." Then the leaker said that he was actually part of the same series as Marth, Fire Emblem. This was the clincher for many, for there was no known character in the Fire Emblem games that went by the name of Roy at that point in time.

Since so many people flamed the site that leaked the list as being so absurd and nonsensical, they even went as far as to apologize, but said not to be surprised come the Japanese launch of Melee. Many people, including myself, rested easy knowing that abomination of a character list was probably just a hoax for a site to get more hits. However, there were a few that still believed.

Come November 22, 2001, the roster was definitely proven true. The screenshots I saw of Dr. Mario and Pichu were too bizarre to be true, it just couldn't be true, and that Ganondorf was nothing more than a clone of Captain Falcon. Captain Falcon! I was comforted by the fact that somebody pointed out that six of the character boxes were misaligned (the clone boxes), and that there were two empty spots on the screen. Sakurai's team surely would not make a sloppy character selection, and especially not leave two empty places on the screen. Most of us were wrong yet again when videos were finally posted of these characters. Some people continued to deny this, however, many (such as myself) accepted the harsh reality and tried to look at the brighter side of things. However, the character roster did not matter, for Melee was much, much more awesome than I could possibly imagine.

As you can see, I would not be surprised if a similar circumstance happens regarding Brawl's roster. It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar. Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
That was an incredible story. I think it is completely fascinating that the current melee roster was seen as a "nightmare" roster back in the speculation days. I remember not following the game because I was only 12 and I saw the final roster just by a google image search for smash bros like a week before the game came out. I really wasn't pissed off about anything mainly because I really didn't know much about nintendo to care besides loving the inclusion of Falco and Ganondorf. I am really interested to see if this final roster will be the same thing. A roster that no one expected that some people will cringe at the thought of. However, because the game is not rushed at all and seeing how all of the characters revealed so far have been completely reasonable, I don't think the roster will be too initially unappealing. Also, I REALLY hope that the final roster gets leaked just as early. That means wed know the final roster in 6 days!

Top Bottom