• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumors Run Rampant! History of SSBB's rumors

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone else has said this, but the brawl delay rumor is DEBUNKED because brawl already went gold and has about 4000 beta testers online.

EDIT: and in case you don't know what 'going gold' means, it means that the master disk has been sent to the printers for mass production.

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
SPOILER ALERT! Mother 3 spoilers ahead.
Say what you will about Starmen.net, when it comes to anything Mother/Earthbound related, they're on it like white on rice. That's what happens here. Though the Mother 3 translation blog, they mentioned that there would be major Mother 3 spoilers, and they will try to speed up the project so that people can go into Brawl without the worry of being spoiled ahead of time. This one is still at large and won't be cleared up till we have the game.
If this has already been posted, then sorry, I just don't like reading 8 pages of posts.
Anyways, this rumor was proven to be true.
The original rumor: http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/08/10/38/
Besides the main post, as a response to one of the comments, Tomato also said: "Oh, for your other question, it will spoil stuff at the end of the game. If you pay really close attention to the game’s text and check *everything*, there are tiny subtle hints starting halfway through the game."

After that, on the Starmen.net forums, people asked the staff questions (me being one of them), leading to the next rumor:
Sun, 12 August 2007 05:47, reidman (owner of Starmen.net) posted the following (in my topic, yay):
"Anyway, I'll say this: According to my source, we're getting Lucas."
October 1st, Lucas was confirmed, so this rumor was true (I'd say it's true because reid says so, but you wouldn't accept that :p).

Also, in the same topic, reidman started a new rumor: "I'm also pretty sure that we're not getting any other MOTHER-related main characters, but that's not 100% positive."

Anyways, back to the original topic. I recall that Tomato hinted towards the spoiler being a stage, but I can't find that anymore. Anyways, October 15th, New Pork City was revealed, and the translation page warned for spoilers.
New Pork City is a spoiler location only avaiable in the final chapter of the game. Also, the stage obviously shows Pokey as being the leader of the Pig Mask Army, which is a huge spoiler. This was the spoiler they were talking about.

So, yeah, original rumor confirmed, new rumor confirmed, other new rumor still unconfirmed.

EDIT: Starmen.net forum post from August 15th, stating all three rumors, and directly saying it was about Pokey. Thanks to Tomato from the Starmen.net staff for the link.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl already came out and we are to busy reading about it to realize
Ya, I'm playing it. IT ROCKS!
that was a joke.

the guy in the e4all video confirming luigi
the one interveiw where the zelda guy said he helped with gannon and sheik
wal-mart talking about a march 28th release

i duno if those count and are what youre looking for but those stick out most in my mind when it comes to rumors
Rumors I didn't see:

-The famous Ganondorf and Shiek one when Ejji Anouma was interviewed by Game Informer.

-Jigglypuff slipped by David Hayter (the person who voices the English version of Snake) to be in smash (he never said Brawl) in a interview on youtube by some interviewer person.

-The billions of Sonic and Mega Man rumors. Like for instance "Mega Man not in Brawl", the whole dumb Sonic confirmed in the Subspace Emissary update, etc.

Ah, I found many of the rumors mentioned in this topic. As the Japanese release inches closer and closer, I will be looking even more rigorously for any new rumors or possible roster leaks. The sad thing is I can definitely see more "prophets" popping up claiming to have inside information when they don't. However, remember, even a nonsensical roster can be real, need I remind you of what happened when Melee's roster was leaked?
That's a very intresting read, and something to consider. However, I must say this-when most rumor starters change their character list when a character is wrong (basically everyone), you know they are wrong.

What I wish is people would stop asking me what I know whenever theres a new rumour, it gets tiresome. I have made it clear I don't know all, but do know many things which have yet to be revealed. e.g. I don't know ALL the characters, I know some new ones and I know of a couple that havent made the transition, but still, I'm always getting asked :/
When everyone thinks you know something, this is to be expected. Hell, if hypothetically speaking I knew the whole Brawl roster, I am unsure what I would do.

I did not say that Lucario would replace Mewtwo.

Take that how you will
Mewtwo being replaced by Lucario kinda sounds dumb, anyways. >_< And I have a $50 bet on Lucario in Brawl. They are two opposites-fighting and steel, and psychic god. semi-legendary vs. the strongest legendary that isn't deconfirmed. That's not aimed at Serebii, I'm just saying that wouldn't seem too good of a move. Mewtwo is far more popular, anyways. Plus, we can have both, with Pokémon's mega popularity.

I think we'll have both, but that's just what I think. THAT IS NOT A RUMOR, it's a opinion.

Yeah but, would you believe Serebii over some random gamefaqer? Cuz I know I would.
Good point. Either way though, I won't not surprised if it's real or not. Take that as you will (lol). :laugh:

And SmashChu, if I ever reappear on SMYN, consider youself as guarenteed a shoutout as Luigi being playable in Brawl. This thread needs to be stickied, in all seriousness. If there isn't already, we need a SSB64 and SSBM History of rumors! :)

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
...Sorry to nitpick, but err, there is an a in AdmantNESS, not an e. Err, anyway; We need to get this topic stickied as soon as possible.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Um so yeah....anyone know new info on the "10 hours of SSE" and the lots of characters story?

Also I really got to ask, Serebii...... are you a free man when Jan 24th comes around? Can we expect a nice little tid bit of game info, and possible screens, then?
Unfortunately I'm in England and dont have a Japanese Wii so I will not be able to do that

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Unfortunately I'm in England and dont have a Japanese Wii so I will not be able to do that
Ah, you now say that Lucario will not replace Mewtwo. However, you did say that not all the character that did not make the transition from Melee to Brawl were clones. Was more than one non-clone character cut? And please don't give me a "I can't tell you." ;)

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Ah, you now say that Lucario will not replace Mewtwo. However, you did say that not all the character that did not make the transition from Melee to Brawl were clones. Was more than one non-clone character cut? And please don't give me a "I can't tell you." ;)
For that question, I cannot respond

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What do you mean by you cannot respond? You mean by that "Sakurai has some ninjas behind you waiting to slit your throat if you leak anything about the roster" or that you don't have enough knowledge.

Anyway, have you seen the real character selection screen?

Frogla

Smash Ace
What do you mean by you cannot respond? You mean by that "Sakurai has some ninjas behind you waiting to slit your throat if you leak anything about the roster" or that you don't have enough knowledge.

No he mean there a four Nintendo Legal Advisors ready to file a law suit on him if he tells.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman

Hey, give him a break. Do you think he's just trying to be smug or something? If he can't say, he can't say, the game will be out in Japan next month so just be patient.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe

No I have not, there are some characters that I do not know if they're in or not and new characters that I do not know of. My knowledge is incomplete

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No I have not, there are some characters that I do not know if they're in or not and new characters that I do not know of. My knowledge is incomplete
Sakurai sure does have tight-lid on Brawl information. I mean nobody knows what the character selection screen looks like yet. Looks like we may have to wait it out for the next few weeks, and I don't think any leaks are going to come until the game is able to reach consumer hands, which will be the fourth week in January, judging by how we still don't know the character selection screen this late in the game. :ohwell:

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
About the Alesia Glidewell rumor: Check the Brawl page on IMDB yourself!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0928380/fullcredits#cast

This is no rumor! She is voicing Krystal in Brawl!!

However we have no way of knowing whether Krystal is a playable character, assist trophy, or even just briefly featured in a cinematic. I would like to think that she's at least an AT (and I really hope she's playable b/c I want to get my hands on that staff again)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I hope this thread could become a home to all new rumors as well. There is nothing I hate more than someone posting information from some unnamed source at Nintendo, but if there is ONE location to browse all the hot rumors, it would be nice. This thread should be stickied, and all rumor trolls should have to submit info here.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hope this thread could become a home to all new rumors as well. There is nothing I hate more than someone posting information from some unnamed source at Nintendo, but if there is ONE location to browse all the hot rumors, it would be nice. This thread should be stickied, and all rumor trolls should have to submit info here.
you do got to admit that rumors provide good speculation and help pass the time, it's just something diffrent to talk about.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
you do got to admit that rumors provide good speculation and help pass the time, it's just something diffrent to talk about.
But each thread repeats: new info, no proof, thread gets locked. If all rumors consolidated into one place, I would be more open to analyzing them all to check for consistencies and whatnot. Individual rumor threads are a waste.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
SPOILER ALERT! Mother 3 spoilers ahead.
Say what you will about Starmen.net, when it comes to anything Mother/Earthbound related, they're on it like white on rice. That's what happens here. Though the Mother 3 translation blog, they mentioned that there would be major Mother 3 spoilers, and they will try to speed up the project so that people can go into Brawl without the worry of being spoiled ahead of time. This one is still at large and won't be cleared up till we have the game.
Didn't they say the exact day when the Franklin Badge will be revealed? Later they said, that Lucas will be in Brawl, they have no clues about Ness and that the game will be spoiled with Porky?
I think they said it.

Maggirus

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
Didn't they say the exact day when the Franklin Badge will be revealed? Later they said, that Lucas will be in Brawl, they have no clues about Ness and that the game will be spoiled with Porky?
I think they said it.

Maggirus
One....post....up.....just one post....aaaagh >.<

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai sure does have tight-lid on Brawl information. I mean nobody knows what the character selection screen looks like yet. Looks like we may have to wait it out for the next few weeks, and I don't think any leaks are going to come until the game is able to reach consumer hands, which will be the fourth week in January, judging by how we still don't know the character selection screen this late in the game. :ohwell:
We'll never know anything at this rate.

Not a rumor. Speculation.

Also, I'll try to add some of those rumors. Thanks guys!
Good work on the thread, man. We appreciated the smash historia! :)

Mewtwo being replaced sounds dumb. Not just is Mewtwo a household name-but Lucario is only a well known name by Pokémon fans of the 4th gen as it's unofficial mascot. Mewtwo simply put needs to return, and needs to NOT SUCK WORSE THEN SAMUS IS SMASH 64! If smash were realistic, Mewtwo would be the God Tier's God Tier.

Intreeesssstttiing. A change in your source's information, maybe?

Intresting point. Unless it's illegal to speak on a board, I see why not. But at the same time-I guess it is possible Nintendo has Serebii by the neck with this. If this is real-there has to be something to Serebii knowing this information.

Hey, give him a break. Do you think he's just trying to be smug or something? If he can't say, he can't say, the game will be out in Japan next month so just be patient.
Yes, but still-we haven't had ANY REAL INFO SINCE NOVEMBER 4th OR SO! Everything since then is sheer crap, and some of us are dying for actual "info". We went from cuddled like a baby in a gazillion dollar information manshion to poor and on the streets barely getting enough food to survive. And then we get a okay living condition. And now-we're cut off for a week. Some people are dying for real information, in other words, and are desperate for it.

If let us say there was a Brawl playable character leakage OF JUST ONE CHARACTER (random, shoe in, or somewhere inbetween; epsecially 3rd party character) on the smashboards with REAL PICTURES, sources, etc., the boards would aplode! That is the type of stuff we all want. If we got some real info, it would be pretty nice! :) And we're soooo desperate for real info, that we often times speculate over rumors that are 99.9% of the time false. One real Melee character leakage and a bagillion fake Melee and Brawl fake character "leakages". You do the math on the chances.

When we get the first actual "real" (important) information since the "Lucas' Special Moves" Ness is probably gone update, the smashboards will be excited, as will the smash community as a whole. In other words, a Zelda update, newcomer or veteran confirmed, or 5 stage updates in one update (I love me some stages)! :grin: Plus I guess pwning n00bs who tells lies and act like they are all cool and stuff (and they suck at life) is great fun. :) But this whole Serebii thing has me "riddled", along with the rest of us.

Geez, I like rambling, don't I! :laugh: It goes by quick, typing around 50 WPM! :chuckle:

VDZ: SmashChu is just one person. I already read it (twice! :grin:), and I can honestly say that eventually that probably will be added. I remember first seeing that, and that is very intresting. Where the crap do all these people get THEIR SOURCES is beyond me. :urg: I want their sources so I can speak the truth (since I speak the truth most of the time, I'd tell the truth, and all you would believe me! :chuckle: [and I hate decieving people who I'm not related to]). Although....I'm not too sure if I would trust myself (or my sources)! :laugh:

Buzz: I agree, though I doubt it would ever happen in terms of stopping even most of the rumor starting and stuff. Well, it might stop some of the rumor starting elsewhere in the Brawl Boards, but there will always be more. With the new year starting in two days and Brawl coming out in less then 4 weeks in Japan-expect rumors to be at a all-time high, everyone. And don't expect the rumors to stay here in this coozey small little thread, OOOOHHH NOOO! Whether true or false, the rumors shall be all over! Just a forewarning to all you people as we head into the January 7th update. ;)

Man, this Serebii thing has me rattled, but meah. We got less then 4 weeks to go, which is a minor issue (luckily it isn't November, with the lame updates not worth our time). I can wait, though early information is nice. :cool: I'm sure a newly confirmed character will pop up SOMEWHERE SOON, anyways! >_<

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
But each thread repeats: new info, no proof, thread gets locked. If all rumors consolidated into one place, I would be more open to analyzing them all to check for consistencies and whatnot. Individual rumor threads are a waste.
I concur, this thread should really be put up there. Knowing trolls, though, I'm not sure they'd take the time to post in a meaningful thread. Chances are they'll just make a new one anyway, it'll still get locked, and then SmashChu'll post it here and everyone can speculate.

Ooo! Speculation!

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
VDZ: SmashChu is just one person. I already read it (twice! :grin:), and I can honestly say that eventually that probably will be added.
Yeah, but he updated after I posted without updating the rumor or adding the two new rumors, and nobody responded to my post...I just hate it when I make a post that takes ages to write and find the right sources, and everybody kind of ignores it....

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Very nice thread, and I hadn't heard of the Klonoa rumour before.

The more recent rumours are very interesting.

Good job, SmashChu!

Top Bottom