• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
how do you do it in 14 seconds. it takes me like 1.40. is there any good site on the method you use janitor?
I use the Fridrich method. =)

http://www.cubefreak.net

Read about how to lubricate your cube and most importantly, learn about F2L. If you want good video tutorials, search "Thrawst" for some great tutorials on youtube.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
I use the Fridrich method. =)

http://www.cubefreak.net

Read about how to lubricate your cube and most importantly, learn about F2L. If you want good video tutorials, search "Thrawst" for some great tutorials on youtube.
another in-depth good tutorial maker is badmephisto.

Search up badmephisto on youtube, thats where i learned from, after i foolishly got into Dan Brown's method >_> (aka pogobat)

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
So, ive been trying to learn blindfolded methods...

i looked up thrawst's tut....

is it me? or is his pretty confusing?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Blindfold solving is just confusing in itself. I'm still learning as well. :3

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Rubik's cubes? I haven't really tried one in a while. Hey, I have one right here!

..$#% this $%# @*% stupid ^$#@%$! I hate %#!@! &$@*! ^$#@^&$@^#@$^#!!!!!!!

That's basically how I feel about them. I don't hate them really, but they just get really frustrating after a while.

samai

Smash Apprentice
My strategy is to buy one then never mess it up so I can say I completed it

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Blindfold solving is just confusing in itself. I'm still learning as well. :3
there's on thing im still not getting about orientation...

Right now im just trying to learn the method, before i actually go into memorization.

He says there can't be a F or B color on the Top or Bottom except for the 2 spots on the L and R, does that go for the same if i did a y or a y' rotation?

Example Blue is F and Green is B, if i did a y rotation, making red the F, does that now have to follow those rules as well? or is it just for the original F and B and the R and L colors dont matter.

Other than that, i think i got it down.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
The fartest i got was getting it right on two sides i believe. But i gave up.
You should go look up some youtube vids ^^, youll get hookd afterwards

BTW Janitor, i did my first blind solve ^^ (with help at the end :p)
i was complete at the end except for 2 edges being unoriented... I asked my friend watching, "is it done?" Etc etc.

so ALMOST, but... i think i got it down now. The memorization is easy, and now i got down the setup movement restrictions, the only problem i have now is thinking of setup moves quicker. I'll try to get this next one on tape. This one took about 45 mins.

AJtwist

Smash Cadet
LOL i just got into Rubik's Cubing earlier this year. I slove it whenever I get a chance. I even have a Application of one in my iPhone. I think my fastest time is like 1min 30sec. Which is like nothing to some of them speed deamons on youtube.
I wanna get a 5x5x5! or 4x4x4...

RodS

Smash Cadet
I can only get one side. =/
And apparently explaining how to solve the rubicks cube is hard for my friend. =(

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
idc, i just wanna c a solve under like 30 or 20 seconds. One handed? SURE!

The more, the merrier!

lulz sure. My one-handed is a little rusty, but i'll try. I'll do 2 handed too i guessssss. It'll just take forever to upload on youtube. D;

Do you have a facebook or something? I already have some vids on my facebook accoun
t.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
omg every1 has facebook.

yeah i have 1, but im never on. Ive just had a myspace for so much longer. agh i just hate to make the transition.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman

<3

lol, do you have a good tutorial or something? I really wanna learn too. xD

I used Thrawst's... which i found confusing at first, until i beat my head into it to understand. I'll admit that his wasn't very easy to understand, just because of how unclear he sounded.

Once you get down the method, its all just memorizing things faster...

BTW, if you saw my vid, i would highly suggest trying my scramble out. Very easy scramble... i bet people could break world records with it... there are a total of about 6 permutions and a couple orientations or so.

But i could try making a blindfold tutorial if you want.

Mahjix

Smash Cadet
I've never really touched a Rubik's cube but the idea of me solving one has always fascinated me. There's a youtube video of a 3 year old solving it in under 1:20. I'm sure I wouldn't even be able to solve it in a day, lol.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
omg every1 has facebook.

yeah i have 1, but im never on. Ive just had a myspace for so much longer. agh i just hate to make the transition.
i have one with 30.87 already uploaded if that counts :D
search for novalombardia on youtube

im starting to get sub 30 quite a few times now

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Double post (because its like 5 pages back)

Any new stuff, Janitor?
Right now im just practicing the F2L like you explained, and im starting to see how thats helping. The only difficult thing is that the curve just gets so slow after you hit the 30 sec mark, and improving is really tough, and im still having trouble tracking pieces around the cube if i turn the cube that fast (they just look like blurs o_O).

I'm starting to learn certain OLL's forwards and backwards so i dont have to do as many Y turns, and im guessing thats a necessity? I only know about 14 OLLs though, and like 5 of them were just out of intuition so i don't really recognize them as fast.

Would you suggest learning 2 ways of doing each PLL (as long as it works for your fingers)?
Also i know 19 out of 21. I didn't bother learning the last 2 (the N(a) and (b) PLLs, because they don't occur very often, so i'm taking more time learning other stuff.

M@v

Subarashii!
I personally can only get one side, but one of my best friends(also a smash player) is really good. I think his personal best for solving it is under 40 seconds. And, he averages around 50 seconds to a minute usually.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I can solve a rubix cube, but I only learned one way, and that way happens to be pretty slow.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Double post (because its like 5 pages back)

Any new stuff, Janitor?
Right now im just practicing the F2L like you explained, and im starting to see how thats helping. The only difficult thing is that the curve just gets so slow after you hit the 30 sec mark, and improving is really tough, and im still having trouble tracking pieces around the cube if i turn the cube that fast (they just look like blurs o_O).
Hey, you're back! Thanks for bumping the thread ^^

Uh, yeah it is hard improving once you get past that point. If you practice a lot everyday, you could probably bring it down a few seconds every week. I remember bringing it down from 35 to 20 in a month or so. Do you keep the "cross" on the bottom?

I'm starting to learn certain OLL's forwards and backwards so i dont have to do as many Y turns, and im guessing thats a necessity? I only know about 14 OLLs though, and like 5 of them were just out of intuition so i don't really recognize them as fast.
You're best bet is to learn all of them normally, and once you memorize all of the OLLs, you can work on doing them forwards and backwards. Before memorizing all the OLLs though, it's important to try to memorize all of the PLLs first.

Would you suggest learning 2 ways of doing each PLL (as long as it works for your fingers)?
Also i know 19 out of 21. I didn't bother learning the last 2 (the N(a) and (b) PLLs, because they don't occur very often, so i'm taking more time learning other stuff.
Yeah, it definately helps, but i wouldn't suggest actually spending the time to memorize it 2 ways. Just memorize all the PLLs (no matter how infrequent some are) and after lots of practice, the PLLS will become easy and you'll be able to do it from any angle. PLLS are important, and I suggest that you memorize them all first.

Speedcubing with one hand really helps you memorize where the pieces are, as well as how to solve PLLS and OLLS from different points of view. Try it out =)

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman

Uh, yeah it is hard improving once you get past that point. If you practice a lot everyday, you could probably bring it down a few seconds every week. I remember bringing it down from 35 to 20 in a month or so. Do you keep the "cross" on the bottom?
Yep, i've been using the bottom ever since i hit 1 minute ^^
The only thing though is that i feel like im doing the cross too slow. My average cross is at least 4 seconds.

Speedcubing with one hand really helps you memorize where the pieces are, as well as how to solve PLLS and OLLS from different points of view. Try it out =)
Yeah i've actually been doing the occasional 1-hand solves, not real tries though, im sure there are 1 handed algs as opposed to the 2 handed ones. But i've been doing them occassionally for fun, and i've noticed im getting a bit faster at moving the cube with 1 hand than when i started. I had no idea that it's been helping me track pieces o_O.

Oh soon i'll be uploading a stop motion vid that featured a rubik's cube, (animation assignment). Just for ****s and giggles.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
I started cubing a month ago or so and have been toying with it on and off.

My best time is 1:24 seconds using the regular old layer by layer method that the book teaches you. I'm trying to move onto doing F2L but I can't really find a good explanation of it anywhere.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
look up badmephisto on youtube

best tutorials by far that i've seen

he now has his own webpage now and a cubewiki

badmephisto.com

Somewhere he has the basic 3 cases of F2L and shows you how to do intuitive F2L (which is the best way to learn it).

Look it up. Learn it, love it :D.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
its exactly like the 3x3, the only difference is that you have to make your center pieces

It goes like this in Step Order

Build Centers (they have to follow the correct color scheme as well)
align your corresponding edges to each other
Cross
F2l
OLL
PLL

Only difference that 4x4 and 6x6 has are paritys (youll have to learn some new and long algs), which makes me think that 5x5 is easier (don't trust me on that), but just longer.

I haven't actually done a 4x4 yet, but i wanna try one.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know where i can buy a store-bought 4x4 or 5x5? I don't feel like ordering online and i need one pretty quick.

I tried the walmart near me but they only have rubik's magic and a 3x3

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Anyone know where i can buy a store-bought 4x4 or 5x5? I don't feel like ordering online and i need one pretty quick.

I tried the walmart near me but they only have rubik's magic and a 3x3
It's a much better idea buying a 4x4 and 5x5 online. Check out v-cubes.com for some excellent cubes. The store-bought 4x4 comes super loose which is definitely nice, so it's okay if you decide to get that. However, you must get 5x5 from v-cubes.com. I bought one from Rec Room Games for about 50 bucks, Rubik's Brand btw, and the stickers started flaking off a few hours later. Besides that, it's stiff as hell even with lubrication.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
50 bucks? **** you got ripped off...

People keep telling me not to get the rubik's brand, yet one of the fastest 5x5ers uses a rubik's brand 5x5 from Yu Nakaji's videos.

People also keep telling me to get a rubiks DIY type a or d 3x3, but i don't feel like getting one from there and paying shipping unless im getting a large order.

I have 2 store-bought rubiks cubes that work like a charm and i just used jigaloo on the 2nd one just to see what it's like and im amazed by how jigaloo works. The only problem i see about it, is that it seems to be cracking the insides of the cubies, but it's so smooth, so i dunno.

I just sanded any imperfections in the beginning and then washed it, then lubed it after it dried and worked it in for a few minutes. The only thing that i probably don't like about the store-bought cubes around here is that you can't adjust the tension.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
i got a 5x5 finally, and i'm really slow at block building... otherwise it turns fine with some lube, except for the bottom 2 layers only on D moves... i gotta figure out how to loosen that up.

As for the 3x3 so far my pb avg of 5 is 27.20, but im still very inconsistent, and that is probably because of the lack of OLL knowledge, but sometimes my F2L can be really messy as well. Lately i've been getting mostly sub 30's with the occasional 31 or 32 here and there. Still haven't taken the time to learn any new OLLs yet or finish off my last 2 PLLs. I've been focusing on F2L really these past few weeks, and im thinking maybe i should start learning some special cases that come up often?

Would you say looking into any Petrus hybrids would be helpful, particularly for extended crosses? I'm not too worried about ZBF2L yet.

Sorry for the double post, but it was bump time.

I'm gonna try and go to the Drexel Competition on Nov. 15th, just to see what they're like.

PB avg i just did: 27.20
(23.26)
(30.70)

Top Bottom