• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RST Issue 1: Shield Toggling and Platform Shield Falling

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Random Smash Tidbits
Volume 1 - Issue 1

Over the years I’ve come across many little kernels of knowledge that are of almost no use except as interesting tidbits of information, it could be a technique, a strategy, the mechanics of the game, you name it. Some of these bits of information are widely known, others though have rested deep in the water of forgotten Smash knowledge. My goal here is to present one or two of these tidbits every two weeks, thus helping broaden everyone knowledge of Smash. To the veterans these bits of information may already be known, so if you are already aware of one of the tidbits, please feel free to post any insight you have gained.

Tidbit #1: Shield Toggling
Why is this a RST: I was shown this technique by Iggy in November of 2006. Since then I haven’t run into anyone else who knows how to do it outside of a few Midwest players. After finding out about it I put it in the SSBM Compendium of Knowledge, but alas no one has discovered it in there. To my knowledge, this technique is virtually unknown on the West Coast, most of the East Coast (I’ve shown it to a handful of DC players), and South. I figure there is no better tidbit of information than one that both novice and veterans players alike are unaware of.

What it is: You can switch between full and light shielding instantaneously by holding down the A button and one of the shielding buttons (hold L/R all the way down). To toggle between the light and full shield simply press Z while you are holding down A and L/R.

Uses: Almost none that I can think of. I used the technique in one tournament match and the other player spent half a life trying to duplicate it to no avail, which resulted in me easily taking the stock and winning the match. I think this may help game and watch players keep up a larger shield by quickly switching between light and full shield. One of the problems of the technique is avoiding the shield grab animation (which you get from holding down L/R and A). To get around this I’ll usually wavedash into a shield toggle or I’ll perform it after a shuffled aerial.

Tidbit #2: Platform Shield Fall
Why is this a RST: Many players know how to do it and it has slowly gained popularity over the last year or so, but it is still seldom used in matches.

What it is: You can fall through a platform directly from your shield by lightly pressing down on the control stick. The timing and pressure is very sensitive, which makes this an incredibly difficult technique despite how simple it sounds. Think of it like short hopping, but downward.

Uses: There is less time between lowering your shield and dropping through the platform. You can also do this technique directly into an air attack, which, if it hits someone still on the platform, would mean your essentially doing a standing aerial (because your position will reset back onto the platform).

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Wow I'm ashamed that I never knew about the Platform Shield Fall. This is actually extremely useful, as I've been doing it for the past few mins. You make me feel like a noob. I hate you.

Thx.

Aesir

Smash Master
shield falling I was practicing with yesterday in training mode but yeah.

I did it roughly 40% of the time the other times I would just spot dodge the timing is retardedly sensitive.

Though with it getting trapped on a platform over a marth could be less dangerous then it use to be.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Shield toggling was posted awhile back, possibly by you, and yeah it's fun I do it sometimes.

Shield-dropping is way old but super useful, especially from a dash on a platform.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've been doing shield toggling in a roundabout way lately...just as a screw-around thing. I didn't actually know what it was a tech. I hold Z, then hold R and let go of Z. It immediately switches from light to heavy shield.

Shield toggling can really help my Game & Watch, as his shield is horrible and he benefits from light shield. It might also help Yoshi players so they can get extra traction from light shield, which doesn't even change appearance. Mindgames anyone?

KevMoney

Smash Journeyman
Although i already knew about these both its still nice to see helpful stuff
I remember way back i saw a video of isai sheild dropping

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I've been doing shield toggling in a roundabout way lately...just as a screw-around thing. I didn't actually know what it was a tech. I hold Z, then hold R and let go of Z. It immediately switches from light to heavy shield.

Shield toggling can really help my Game & Watch, as his shield is horrible and he benefits from light shield. It might also help Yoshi players so they can get extra traction from light shield, which doesn't even change appearance. Mindgames anyone?
No you can actually toggle from light shield to hard and back again, rapidly, as much as you want. Hold A and then R, and then any time you hit Z you'll switch from R-shield to Z-shield - give it a try, it's fun

cemo

white walker
I remember reading about shield toggling, but could not for the life of me remember how to do it. Thanks for that. :)

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Does this slow the deterioration of the shield at all? Because if it does, this could be super useful, and also make up for the fact that most people are going to try to hold the shield for a second or two before trying to switch, it'd be a shame if they e-sploded :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Shield Toggling I've heard of but forgotten how to do it, and the Platform Shield Fall was completely new to me. Thanks for posting these and bringing these to light.

Just out of curiosity, can someone try to Platform Shield Fall with Yoshi for me? I got grounded from playing Smash :(.

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
Ohh... Ohh... time for me to sound like a nub!!
Ok... so why in the world would ur shield ever even go down? Like in all seriousness.. I never use my shield. I just dodge. The only time I have ever shielded vs an attack was in an attempt to dodge (but being a lil bit late and just having the attack hit the shield). So do the real pros just use sheild for stuff?

rofl... I think I am missing out all together on something here. Difference between light and hard sheild any1?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
The secret is revealed!! I saw Alpha doing this at my last tourney and it was pretty cool. I couldn't figure it out.. but now I can do it! Yay! aZ is amazing.

Volrec

Smash Lord
The shield drop is so weird. the pressure for it is very very complex. I think i've got it, but I dont know.

Shield toggling is all weird and stuff. Like a lightshield edgehog, you start with hard shield, and they're like "lol nub dunt know he shud of light shield" but then you whip this baby out. You showed them.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Shield toggling works wonders to mess up l-canceling, especially against a Falco's approaching dair. This allows you to grab him out of said dair.

Oh, here's another RST for you that I don't think anyone other than me knows, or at least has said anything about it.

It is easiest to do with Captain Falcon.

Run towards the edge at full speed, then right before the edge pull up your shield. Your shield will come up, but you will continue to fly off the edge.

Uses? I dunno. Makes opponents go "buh?" sometimes, and slows you down a tad which could mess with enemy timing. Nothing special though, just a RST. ^_^

Banks

Smash Hero
smash tidbit, something that people might not know about but it somewhat unuseful in most situations. at leasts thats what i thought it was

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
RST: Random Smash Tidbit.

Overswarm, the second RST thread has what you described, it's called jump faling(though I prefer edge cancled jumps). Basically your momentum caries you over the edge before you leave the ground and your jump gets canceled. The only practical use is a very fast edge hog with fox/falco by shining, turning, jumping, and sliding off the edge.

Elen

Smash Lord
I'd never heard of shield toggling. Fun stuff. Hope there's a bunch more I don't know of that show up in here. Looking like a great thread Alpha ^.^

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
"What it is: You can fall through a platform directly from your shield by lightly pressing down on the control stick. The timing and pressure is very sensitive, which makes this an incredibly difficult technique despite how simple it sounds. Think of it like short hopping, but downward."

Actually I wouldn't compare it to short hopping, the idea of short hopping is to jump quickly so you release the button before your character leaves the ground, you don't want to press down quickly otherwise you will spot dodge. I think a better way to descibe the movement is the way you press up to perform an Utilt without jumping, you caress the control stick up to not jump, and do the same downward to fall through the platform. Just don't go too slowly or you'll just aim the shield down.

Banks

Smash Hero
I'm going to try that sheild toggle thing to mess up lcancels at a tournament, see if it works >_>

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Eric: The short hop was in referance to short hopping using the control stick, not the X/Y button. Your right about the gentle carresing

Banks

Smash Hero
does anyone know if the sheild toggle would do anything to mess up a falco dair to shine? j/w, because thats the only thing i can think of, maybe it would **** up the timing of the l cancel

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Quickly swithing from full shield to light shield against an incoming Falco should **** up their Lcanceling, and subsequently their shine. It should also make them land to far away from you to have the shine hit.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
****, i need to test if you can powershield going from full to light. Would be awesome if it did work, since it would be pretty easy to time.

Top Bottom