• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's potential.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Yeah bing you forgot flare blade and DED gimps on ffers

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have any insights on this mathup, I'd assume the nair makes it go to Kirby.
But idk
kirby does give roy issues, but they're MU-specific ones, particularly with kirby's crouch.

that said, if the kirby player has made it evident that they know how to hold down, R, or L, you usually stop using side B.

i'd be embarrassed to put those videos up personally.

Bing

Smash Master
About the massive walls of "data" without reasoning, yeah, I ****ed up. Not used to writing large pieces about characters.. mind you its like writing an essay. So thank you for that.

Also in regards to the ending.. I was going to start with all the flaws(As I did) then write a big piece about what he has going for him. Then a conclusion. I just got bored and did that.

Next time I do something like this, I think I'll stick with characters I know more about... The point in this was to have my information corrected, because I want to learn more about Roy.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Don't mean to troll, but is Kumqu@t real?
Yeah. But he doesn't like his vids up on youtube, you have to use this one program that lets you exchange video files that i forget the name of. He uses that because it's less popular and people can't study him.

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
Yeah.... some proof ? It looks like the Kumqu@t story was obvious troll, I mean,
WHO in the world doesnt want Vidz to be uploaded on Youtube :p I know about the ''I don't want pplz to find out a strategy to beat me'' johns.... :p but come on, I laugh when people mention that name , without proof of existence there is no way I will believe that :)
To be honest , at first I believed it , but now... with the time... and nobody I knows anything about him (not that I know everybody in this world but anyway ) it's most likely some gamefaqs fagz trolling LOL :p that one program that lets you exchange video files.... it's old and I have never used it. If someone here can confirm me what to do to view those vids It would be the best thing in the world :p If you google kumqu@t you may find some forum discussion but it's always the same story

''There's a reason his recent videos are MBR-exclusive. You wouldn't like the face of Melee under Kumqu@t's reign and it's in the community's best interest that his videos aren't publicly viewable.'' Fly_Amanita
I really don't know what to think about this...

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
People say trolly things because he's really secretive and some people don't believe he exists, so they play along thinking it's a joke, but it's not. He IS real, i used to watch his videos on DC++ before I got into competitive smash, back before I knew he was a GOD with Roy because in those days I was a Roy main looking at NEO vids on youtube and my friend came across Kumqu@t on DC++ (i think it's invite only now, though)

But yeah he actually continued to play and has some impressive wins, but most of the people he beat probably never mention him because nobody knows he exists and for them to lose to some unknown Roy main, it'd look pretty terrible.

Qvando

Smash Rookie
Sigh... it seems like Kumqu@t can be real or not because both sides have valid points. The Melee metagame would be completely screwed if some guy with Roy just comes in and beats everyone. But at the same time, there is absolutely no proof of his existence and people could be just trollin *Cough cough Scorpion Mango. If anyone has any videos of him... post it pl0x?

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I have a question. How many actual Roy mains are left? Ripple just switched, neos long gone. Vman alts him.
I'm still here :troll:

I'm an actual Roy main but I'm not competitive yet..... so I guess my answer wasnt releavant.

However, Camerino is a competitive Roy main.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I feel like its pyro, seph, cam, seth, me, theres a roy main near me who doesnt go on the boards. and anyone else who is undeclared.
also sour boy. cant forget the most gung ho roy

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
roy's still my best, it's just that he's so ***

odinNJ

Smash Lord
glad to see you still use him sometimes, and yes, hes ****, hes also my best and i dont feel like switching to anyone new.

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
odinNJ:also sour boy. cant forget the most gung ho roy
wow :p I like that :p

I can't wait for the STYC 3, so, Bing, you're going too? :p lets do some roy dittos if possible :)

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah we arrive by bus Friday night at around 7-8pm and leave Sunday night at I think 7pm lol

We have a hotel room for Friday and Saturday we're crashing at the venue lol But yeah, Roy dittos for sure.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hahaha, I'm not competitive. I just research a lot of stuff on him because I have a genuine interest in seeing ways to make him better, and so I try coming up with things. Most of what I test is against my low-level friends or computers, and computers are very easy to manipulate to do whatever you'd like.

Basically, as it sits, if I had any way to play humans I'd probably get good quickly, but I have absolutely no way to actually play people and test stuff out on humans... so I won't be getting very good anytime soon. I'd love to enter an active community though, and I'm entering university so maybe there'll be something there next year for Smash~

Edit: My YLink is probably better than my Roy too, actually. I still say Roy is my main though since I've been playing him since I was 9 in my friends basement~

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Roy and G&W are underrated. Roy can be good if you are consistent defensively with him, G&W can be good if you cover his weaknesses and never get put on defence.

Zelda is like G&W with less options, spacing character but has the d-smash I guess
Yoshi is sorta like Peach imo, ***** once the person is pressured, but it's hard to get them there in the first place I think
Ness... is pretty bad cause of his range (worse than Yoshi's imo), he has an f-air
Bowser is terrible
Pichu is terrible
Kirby has the best techchase in the game, a u-air, b-air and that's it (no approach)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Bumping this thread to let Roy mains know.. that I haven't given hope on Roy yet... I believe he has some potential.. :)

I'll upload more vids for showcasing.. i still believe :p

D

Deleted member

only 60% of the time.

the other 40% it's only mostly unreasonable.

BEES

Smash Lord
Hahaha, I'm not competitive. I just research a lot of stuff on him because I have a genuine interest in seeing ways to make him better, and so I try coming up with things. Most of what I test is against my low-level friends or computers, and computers are very easy to manipulate to do whatever you'd like.
Similar here. I see the potential for a tighter, more angular Roy to change the dynamics of some matchups. A Roy player with M2K's intuition and tech-chasing skills would be a fearsome opponent for any space animal main.

I highly doubt I would be the person to pull that off though. I wouldn't consider myself competitive. I'm barely even active in tournaments, and I'm one of the worst players at those tournaments.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I'm still practicing Roy ALOT. But I havenet been able to make a tourney in forever. :( hopefully I should be able to test my new prowess soon

odinNJ

Smash Lord
We all need to meet at a national and have an all roy tournament WITH DOUBLES
that would be so amazing

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is how imagine we would look to people

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Haya heyeyah huh bonk hiya hao eeeeyyyyaaaahhh oua bonk shing slash bonk

BEES

Smash Lord
Because Roy's an easy character to pick up that's often what ends up happening whenever I sit down for friendlies. They turn into Roy dittos.

If NC held an all-Roy tournament I might not do terrible, based on playing everyone else's Roy here. I wouldn't win though. Probably not even top 5.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
And only for actual for players. None of this top 25 smashers just picking up Roy to play. Who's down for teaming

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
we all play Roy here?... top players can play Roy too?... i'd welcome that challenge... i wanna play all the best Roy's (besides M2k's) already played and beat his.. :p) but yeah i'd welcome any/all roy players.. :p

D

Deleted member

we all play Roy here?... top players can play Roy too?... i'd welcome that challenge... i wanna play all the best Roy's (besides M2k's) already played and beat his.. :p) but yeah i'd welcome any/all roy players.. :p
the best EC roy players were pretty consistently neo me azen and ninjalink. at the time neo beat me, i beat ninjalink, ninjalink beat neo, and i think all 3 of us narrowly beat azen.

i think i'm the only one left on that list that still plays melee. next time i see you, we can sit down and grind some out. don't expect much out of our area though.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
the best EC roy players were pretty consistently neo me azen and ninjalink. at the time neo beat me, i beat ninjalink, ninjalink beat neo, and i think all 3 of us narrowly beat azen.

i think i'm the only one left on that list that still plays melee. next time i see you, we can sit down and grind some out. don't expect much out of our area though.
^I am most def down for that...I played as many Roys as I could at apex... and it was fun playing all of you that I played.. I had a blast and learned alot even, and got to watch some styles that were diff from mine... Only roy, I recall I didn't get to play was PP's.. and i wanted to badly.. I think only Roy i lost to thus far is M2k's. (dittos) He won a game or 2, i still won the set/majority of games. :p (dittos don't say much either tho).. perhaps style comes into play..

but yeah I'm DEF down for that... I just wanna play more Roy players in general, and learn more and stuff ^^

EDIT: also to play with Neo, Ninja, that'd be cool.. too. :p but yeah we should play Mow :p

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I just meant that I wanted it to be a gathering of roy players, not a "lets see who can win using a certain character" tournament

Top Bottom