• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

Darkevilprice995

Smash Cadet
Roy.
Is in fact my boy.

Looks like I'm gonna have a reason to boot up the good 'ol wii once again.

*Goes out to buy 2gb SD card*

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I havent actually watched any mewtwo/roy gameplay other than the trailer and the turbo vids; not planning to either, hype myself up

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I actually tried watching, from my iphone, but it always appeared that you were offline.
Dont ask why wont I use a computer.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
You missed my stream last night. There was copious amounts of Roy and Mewtwo

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

Ooo, is that saved anywhere? I'd love to see some Roy gameplay. : D

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Not seeing a lot of people use Roy's DED on stream.
I assume this is his Side-B?

If DED = Side-B, then this is consistent yeah. A lot of people have been calling it out since announcement, that nobody is using it nearly as much as they easily could. It's solid, and Roy's on streams are struggling because they're... Marth(ish) when they play. F-airs and N-airs and DD Grabs... Where's the ROY stuff at?

I guess when he's accessible, then peeps be D-Tilt > Side-B combos all over the place, and he won't look as terribad compared to that broken-face Mewtwo. :p

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
So I just saw the Neo vs JCaesor set. Wow. Both characters look so damn good, and it makes me very happy as I was both a Roy and Mewtwo main back in the day.

First things first, could a dev explain to me how Roy's new ftilt isn't crap? I mean the animation is beautiful, but when Neo was using it against JCaesor's M2 it looked like it A: Wasn't faster than Marth's ftilt which covers a much better area and not much faster than fsmash, and B: doesn't seem to be strong enough to use when fsmash covers more range.

Is it still strong at the tip, can it be angled, and/or are there other redeeming factors to this move? I trust the team, so I assume there is something about this move that is awesome that wasn't brought to light. I apologize if this has been noted already, I skimmed the thread and searched for ftilt and didn't see this yet.
I guess when he's accessible, then peeps be D-Tilt > Side-B combos all over the place, and he won't look as terribad compared to that broken-face Mewtwo. :p
Roy always had a hard time with floaties and I think the new Roy still does (just not as much). Roy looks rather amazing, it's just that he has more trouble getting inside M2 than say Marth would. I honestly think the Roy/M2 matchup will be fairly even in the future.

For the life of me I don't understand why Neo was fthrowing all the time in that set against JC. Hell at times he would fthrow Mewtwo to the center of the stage instead of going for a downthrow off the ledge O_o. Why not uthrow at low percents Neo!! WHY!!!? It was clear that Roy had a ton of juggle potential, but Neo wasn't really abusing it. He also landed some really nice dsmash kills early on, but then seemed to forget that dsmash was a thing. I think there is a lot of room for Neo to have done better even without this new Roy technology.

Also, I kept feeling like both JCaesor and Neo were jumping a lot more than they should. I haven't been keeping up with PM as much, but is it safer to land aerials on shields overall in PM than Melee?

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
The main things I noticed were that the ftilt looked severely crippled compared to Melee's mini-fsmash and the fsmash seemed surprisingly lacking in killing power sometimes though those might have been sourspot hits.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
The main things I noticed were that the ftilt looked severely crippled compared to Melee's mini-fsmash and the fsmash seemed surprisingly lacking in killing power sometimes though those might have been sourspot hits.
I got a chance to try out Roy yesterday.

His sweetspot Fsmash was killing midweight characters from the middle of PS2 at 75% AFTER the hit

The DI wasn't optimal, but it wasn't terrible either.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Fsmash sweetspot matches Melee. Sourspot is now decent.

As for Ftilt - It comes out decently fast, has fairly huge reach, does 14 damage on a sweetspot, has a lot of BKB, and can be angled. How is that a crap move?

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Give him a purple texture and itll look good... No, GIVE ALL CHARACTERS A PURPLE TEXTURE AND ADD A PURPLE TEAM COLOR!!!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Fsmash sweetspot matches Melee. Sourspot is now decent.
I'm kinda surprised by this as it was always a big criticism to the old Roy in that it was weaker than Marth's fsmash even though Roy was "supposed" to be the more heavy hitter (at least that's what we all thought at the time). Not saying it's a bad call, but I find it weird that the sweetspot wasn't buffed a little.
As for Ftilt - It comes out decently fast, has fairly huge reach, does 14 damage on a sweetspot, has a lot of BKB, and can be angled. How is that a crap move?
Didn't say that it was a crap move, just that it looked crappy. I assumed there was more to it than what Neo showed is all. Now that I know it's angled, it makes it pretty nifty. It would be harder to land than his old ftilt, but the reach on it would help out his spacing game a bit. I doubt it, but does it have any IASA frames? It would be really awesome if it also functioned a bit like dtilt and was a fairly safe poke (it might work like this without the IASA frames but judging from Neo's usage of it there is too much ending lag). It would definitely diversify Roy from Marth and would strengthen Roy's ground game.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
So I just saw the Neo vs JCaesor set. Wow. Both characters look so damn good, and it makes me very happy as I was both a Roy and Mewtwo main back in the day.

First things first, could a dev explain to me how Roy's new ftilt isn't crap? I mean the animation is beautiful, but when Neo was using it against JCaesor's M2 it looked like it A: Wasn't faster than Marth's ftilt which covers a much better area and not much faster than fsmash, and B: doesn't seem to be strong enough to use when fsmash covers more range.

Roy always had a hard time with floaties and I think the new Roy still does (just not as much). Roy looks rather amazing, it's just that he has more trouble getting inside M2 than say Marth would. I honestly think the Roy/M2 matchup will be fairly even in the future.
Link the set?

When I first saw F-Tilt attempted by M2K/Oro/other streams, I thought it looked GODLY.
They didn't use it much outside of like... using it a few times in a row 'for fun' and never incorporating it into the actual game-play, but it looks like there's a LOT of potential for it. Even using it at range combo-ending when you want to keep them close and F-Smash sour-spot isn't exactly a favorable go-to.

Yeah for sure floaters can be tough to deal with.
I'm pretty sure Neutral B has been indicated to be 'better' and that might play more of a factor (he doesn't have U-Tilt Marth vs Peach-style purposes, but Marth already needed N-B for that type of match-up, and Roy's being better might require him leaning on it)
U-Smash should help too.
Side-B might have a trick in it too...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Marth and Roy Fsmash have identical hitbox stats on the sweetspot, except Roy's has 5 less KBG. Which translates to about 5% less knockback at 100%. That's pretty close.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Link the set?

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/c/3135627

First things first, could a dev explain to me how Roy's new ftilt isn't crap?

IMO its a great move. Roy leans into the stab, so the full range is larger than Melee ftilt. At tip range it can be used for long range harassment similar to D3's ftilt, especially nice against characters like Marth and M2 that are difficult to get close to. The sweetspot is actually pretty strong, but its difficult to land; you basically have to punch them with the hilt of the sword to get it.
It doesn't have the arc that Melee ftilt had, obviously, but it can still be subbed in for a lot of combos where you're not sure the fsmash will connect.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
It looked to me like he performed the blazer 2 handed now, is that a nod to Zero from MMX, perhaps?

Fortress

Smash Master
It looked to me like he performed the blazer 2 handed now, is that a nod to Zero from MMX, perhaps?
Before you know it, he'll just have a ponytail in 3.0. But, it'll just be a bone. No texturing over it. And you can only see it in BrawlBox.

Also, one of his taunts is "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR".

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
I've come to to the conclusion that Roy is kind of similar to Falco in a ( couple of) way(s). I imagine he'll be able to pillar D-tilt -> D-Air. though it will fire times as cool. forward smash hits like a truck, Up-b can be angled (and is firey.) B-Air is shaped similarly and is a kill move. They both fast fall. They both are totally bad ass. and have the most personality out of their games representation. actually the fire emblem 3 and space animals all kind of correlate slightly.

Marth = Fox
Roy = Falco
Ike = Wolf

The specific Niche they each fill seems similar at very least.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I've come to to the conclusion that Roy is kind of similar to Falco in a ( couple of) way(s). I imagine he'll be able to pillar D-tilt -> D-Air. though it will fire times as cool. forward smash hits like a truck, Up-b can be angled (and is firey.) B-Air is shaped similarly and is a kill move. They both fast fall. They both are totally bad ***. and have the most personality out of their games representation. actually the fire emblem 3 and space animals all kind of correlate slightly.

Marth = Fox
Roy = Falco
Ike = Wolf

The specific Niche they each fill seems similar at very least.

Dammit, I thought I was the only one who thought that way.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
That set is entertaining. Always funny and fun to watch players learning things on-the-fly.

There's still a lack of Neutral-B in terms of use, so I can't tell how it has changed, but the 'character info' thing says it's better. How much better is it?
I love the Up-B and Side-B and D-Smash and U-Smash and this characters is awesome...
Such big boots.

Fortress

Smash Master
That set is entertaining. Always funny and fun to watch players learning things on-the-fly.

There's still a lack of Neutral-B in terms of use, so I can't tell how it has changed, but the 'character info' thing says it's better. How much better is it?
I love the Up-B and Side-B and D-Smash and U-Smash and this characters is awesome...
Such big boots.
Now, I don't claim to know anything about Roy, but up-b looked like it hit a lot of times and just had a lot of overall power behind it on some of the final 'hits', ala Link's recovery. It also looked like you could aim it, like somebody else'd said.

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
Side B acts as a 3rd jump of sorts, as it propels Roy up and forward.
That's nice but it's still the same from Melee.

I'm trying to compare any changes from the melee Roy to the P:M regarding his weight or recovery (if there are any changes). The boy was known for having a pretty bad recovery due to both of those factors.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
That's nice but it's still the same from Melee.

I'm trying to compare any changes from the melee Roy to the P:M regarding his weight or recovery (if there are any changes). The boy was known for having a pretty bad recovery due to both of those factors.
from what I have seen Roy's recovery is far superior to Marths ( and melee Roy) in every facit. his side b pops him up significantly more than in melee, its comforable to about half of one of jiggs' double jumps. you can angle his up B to about 45 degrees either way . his up B hits harder and can clip through the stage. and it's made of fire.

Top Bottom