• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Roy's recovery looks very fair. I wish more characters were like him honestly.

Edit: Ftilt talks, the move is very good and akin to Ganon's Ftilt SWORD VERSION. Dtilt is a great move but can struggle to hit people a bit above Roy. Ftilt can cover that same distance, but actually hit people who are SHing at him. Because of the reach, you can angle it upwards or neutral and not be punished that hard if the person happens to be grounded instead of in the air. The lunge/reach is pretty damn big.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Pretty new to Project M but a Roy main from Melee, although not a very experienced one. Excited to try the new Roy, but I have some questions.

Based on the footage I've seen, it looks like the third forward hit of DED has been swapped out for an upward-sweeping hit, or maybe the old up hit has been moved to forward and the upwards-sweep is now up, or something to that effect, at least. I'm not really complaining, but I am curious if this changes his options for the move. Seems like the entire point now is to set up the fourth hit, without an option to "break the sequence" with a launcher anymore. Is this an accurate analysis?

In general, I'm ecstatic with the addition of Roy, and it really looks like they did a great job, and paid attention to a lot of details. An example of this would be the counter animation. In Melee, Marth counters with an upwards swing, while Roy attacks with an overhead blow. I was happy to see that the animators actually paid attention to this and kept it this way, however petty that is. The attention to detail is a great sign.
That actually brings me to another question: is the hitbox size by any chance increased or otherwise made to work with the weird momentum stop caused by counter? This caused Roy to commonly whiff the counterattack on enemies when countering an aerial from below, for example, or when countering an anti-air when trying to get to the ground, especially when used after or during a jump. In general, it is just like the rest of Roy's game in Melee (generally useless in and/or against air) because of a good opponent's tendency to attack ahead of your movement arc, exactly where counter will never reliably put you. It would be nice if counter changed to reflect the shiny new aerial game, since it could add a lot of strategic mixups. Finish a combo by countering their frantic combo-breaker nair? Sounds pretty neat. Just a thought, though.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I was playing a lot of Roy yesterday, trying to get familiar with him so I could get a better gauge of his strengths and just because he's a whole ****load of fun, and I ended up playing against a Marth. Now, the player is much better than me, their tech being more consistent and grab and tech chase game being pretty solid, but, get this, I WON. Roy just seemed to have the right tools to deal with Marth, and while the games were close, I consistently did better than him. I'm not saying this as something on the matchup because of how little I've played it, but from what I've experienced so far, the matchup seems even for Roy, maybe, just maybe a little positive. So yeah, all aboard the HYPE TRAIN!
CHOO CHOO!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
A quick question: Is Roy's sword still slightly shorter than Marth's? And I don't mean the sweet spot, I just meant the general range.

No subliminal meaning. Don't add anything.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Will Roy's counter have a minimum?Like how Marth's in brawl did at least 7% with a certain amount of knockback.

I am guessing no since this is like melee and not brawl.

KUKU

Smash Rookie
Will Roy's counter have a minimum?Like how Marth's in brawl did at least 7% with a certain amount of knockback.

I am guessing no since this is like melee and not brawl.
It looks like it's his normal 1.5x damage counter, I dunno about knockback though.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
It looks like it's his normal 1.5x damage counter, I dunno about knockback though.
I know that what I mean is how if Roy countered a 2% attack it would do 3% damage with no knockback,while if Ike countered a 2% attack it would do 10% with enough knockback to hit them away.

My question is if Roy's counter will have a set minimum in damage and knockback so we can counter things like jabs and not get punished.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Backward side b is great!

Can Marth have one?Sounds fun but I am guessing no so Roy and marth can be different.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I get the feeling that the Project: M team won't delve into all new characters, so that despite this being a fan-made mod of Brawl it doesn't dig into the integrity of Smash for the Wii U/3DS.

I'd be perfectly happy with Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu (only because we were teased it in the April Fools video) being the only Melee veterans to return. I understand that this will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but Dr. Mario has been surpassed by the now viable Mario and unless they make some drastic changes to him, he'll just be a re-skinned Mario. All he'll have left that Mario didn't take is his pills. Young Link was spiritually replaced by Toon Link, and unless they decide to make Young Link utilize a different moveset that utilizes his Masks (Majora's Mask style Y.Link), he'll have clone written all over him. I know the same thing can be said about Roy but the problem I find is that when the team re-created Toon Link and Mario especially, they did so while taking some of their previous versions' strengths, taking away what was special about Doc and Y.Link in Melee.

Of course this is all my opinion and if we got EVERYONE back and they were all unique? All the more power to the development team, but that's just my take.

I'd rather have no brand new characters though. I'm excited for the new Smash, after all.
Doc's ******** reverse sex kick, weird up tilt, and Up B cancel. Y.Link not sure what strengths they didn't take.

Infamous_Prime

Smash Cadet
Just when I thought that my swordsman of choise had been decided...
And Prime, may I ask where you got that avatar pic? DeviantArt?
I actually just googled marth pics and eventually found it. I would not be surprised if it was on deviant art somewhere due to the fab level of it lol.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how relevant this post is at this point, but I had an idea for Roy that I just had to post.
I think it would be interesting if he could cancel his jab with a tilt. D-tilt might seem like the strongest follow up, but I think if f-tilt did more dmg/knockback, it would be worth using.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Roy feels so good. His nair and f-tilt (especially good angled down for techchases/ledgeguards) are insane. And dat f-smash. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yo Roy plays smooth like a mug man does it feel good to be a Roy player right now. It's like santa clause came early and buffed your character and now he's supercharged and going ham with Roy is actually possible now.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, coming from someone who never enjoyed playing Roy AT ALL in Melee (aerials FTL!) I've gotta say, he's AMAZING!

-Nair of the GODS.
-Dsmash ftw
-Dem tilts.

He just feels great. More aggressive, more threatening, and more ph1r3. Honestly I can't decide who I'm enjoying more between he and Mewtwo, because you guys did such a phenomenal job.

:shades:

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to join in on the 3.0 hype and just say I've been going nuts with Roy and enjoying every stock I take from my friends. I can't tell if he will be high on a tier list yet obviously but damn is he fun to play and flashy. Cross up Nair is sexy. CC to Fsmash/Dsmash seemed ok too. I had some troubles against R.O.B. I'm guessing anyone mostly airborne/ more range than Roy will be trouble.

Hoping for frame data and match up threads soon. Maybe we should discuss Roy's off stage edgeguarding against the tether grabbing characters. Also Roys recov may be on the same line as Falcos* short and more than less predictable, but I was able to escape pretty well with using my Up B high and diagonal to avoid things and get to a platform. I feel like there is a lot to Roy than meets the eye especially to a patient player.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I'm here to make a request. Can you PLEASE. PLEASE. Make it so he doesn't say HOH every damn time he jumps? It's grating as hell. But it's not like there's a lot of jumping in sma--owait. Can the rate be lowered? It's even worse in dittos. That is all.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Man up and eat your hohs. You're not getting desert until you finish them.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I'm here to make a request. Can you PLEASE. PLEASE. Make it so he doesn't say HOH every damn time he jumps? It's grating as hell. But it's not like there's a lot of jumping in sma--owait. Can the rate be lowered? It's even worse in dittos. That is all.
Seems like your avatar fits how you're feeling about this.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So yeah I was thinking with all of the Buffs they gave Roy, how would they change his MU's from Melee especially the bad MU's like Shiek vs Roy for example?

Top Bottom