• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'm here to make a request. Can you PLEASE. PLEASE. Make it so he doesn't say HOH every damn time he jumps? It's grating as hell. But it's not like there's a lot of jumping in sma--owait. Can the rate be lowered? It's even worse in dittos. That is all.
The HOH sfx every time he jumps buffed his grab game. He can now do Santa Grabs by doing a late JC grab. The HOH sfx will play while you grab. It's awesome

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i was messing around with characters and it seems like roy's sweetspot is HUGE. was it always that big or did you guys increase it or what? it's awesome, and just a little crazy : D

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The main problem with Roy vs. Samus is that Roy lacks a method of getting pass Samus' projectiles and Roy has a relatively hard time preforming combos on Samus due to her floaty nature.

Marth also has similar problems.

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
The main problem with Roy vs. Samus is that Roy lacks a method of getting pass Samus' projectiles and Roy has a relatively hard time preforming combos on Samus due to her floaty nature.

Marth also has similar problems.

Jumping, Rolling, Slashing them and Blocking.

It's nothing special but those are his ways around projectiles.

I think Nair is the only move he has in this match up.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
He used to be able to side-b missiles, but that won't work since in P:M the hitbox appears to be transcendent.
Not sure how I feel about this change, since it is a nice trait to have on a quick move, but of course there's the aforementioned downside.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So I have some questions for whoever feels like answering, preferably for people who have design input.
Why was Roy's Utilt changed from Melee? The most it really needed was lag reduction. Now it just seems so awkward and unusable because the attack starts in the back and ends in front.

Second, It seems like Roy's second jump height is higher. I understand that it may help the combo game a bit, or possibly buff his recovery slightly. But that also hurts his edge game significantly by making him not mostly invincible on the ledge.

Lastly, I'm very adamant about Roy's bair. It should retain his melee animation. The bair in melee was able to take up a lot of space behind him. The bair in PM takes up hardly any space and can't be used to zone. I do like the power of it, but it should be his melee animation.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
So I have some questions for whoever feels like answering, preferably for people who have design input.

Why was Roy's Utilt changed from Melee? The most it really needed was lag reduction. Now it just seems so awkward and unusable because the attack starts in the back and ends in front.
It happens to be better due to the reduced lag AND improved coverage.

Second, It seems like Roy's second jump height is higher. I understand that it may help the combo game a bit, or possibly buff his recovery slightly. But that also hurts his edge game significantly by making him not mostly invincible on the ledge.
His midair jump is not higher. He just falls slightly slower(?).

Lastly, I'm very adamant about Roy's bair. It should retain his melee animation. The bair in melee was able to take up a lot of space behind him. The bair in PM takes up hardly any space and can't be used to zone. I do like the power of it, but it should be his melee animation.
No, thanks. I like commitment along fairness.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
On the contrary, that reversal in direction is very useful. My favorite application is using the move after a crossup aerial - if the opponent drops their shield too quickly, boom, Utilt sets them up for combos.

In general, Utilt's speed, reach, and combo potential are pretty darn good.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
It happens to be better due to the reduced lag AND improved coverage.

No, thanks. I like commitment along fairness.
Except the coverage isn't improved. The coverage is made worse by having it start in the back. Melee Utilt hits behind him just likes Marth's.

And there's nothing unfair about it. It's a large, pretty strong sweetspot.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Except the coverage isn't improved. The coverage is made worse by having it start in the back. Melee Utilt hits behind him just likes Marth's.

Would you mind explaining why you think this? I just gave an example where this change is useful, and a move that starts behind you isn't inherently worse because of it (e.g. ICs Dsmash).

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried doing a reverse U-tilt? Roy turns around pretty fast.

I love that it comes out from behind though. It pulls people in front of him.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Roy's ground game is about keeping people directly in front of him with dtilt. It only fits that his utilt should be able to cover the arc directly in front of him that dtilt doesn't cover.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Plus you now have the super long-reaching and quick Ftilt. Angled upwards, it beats just about every aerial approach.

Or you can always use DED.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Jab covers the entire frontal zone, too.
Getting the old utilt back wouldn't be terrible, and the new one takes some getting used to, but I do think the old version's coverage would be a little redundant given the rest of Roy's moveset.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Strong Bad: But why should I have to turn around to cover the spot in front of me? That's counterintuitive.

FF: Ftilt covers one angle, not a bubble around him

PS: Jab doesn't turn into a combo. And why should I need to get used to a new move if there was no reason to make it a new move?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
You're asking Strong Bad, a DK player, why it's necessary to turn around to cover space sometimes?

Anyway, Roy needed some changes to differentiate him from Marth other than his closer sweetspot, otherwise people could simply play a familiar anti-Marth while getting punished less for slightly off spacing. These new moves help to make that differentiation and spice up Roy's metagame.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There's a key difference between an actual new move and a move that still just serve the same purpose as the old move it replaces.
It just makes people who are familiar with Melee Roy ask what the point is other than why not. It would be one thing if his new Utilt had a new role like his new Ftilt and Bair but it's basically justold Utilt but in reverse aside from the adjustments to the hitbox placement. That change could have been made to his old Utilt and it would be all but identical to his current Utilt without feeling straight up wrong to people coming from Melee Roy to PM.
The logic of pivoting Utilt to achieve a similar effect to old Utilt can just be applied to his old Utilt as well... and as somebody who has been playing Roy for over a decade in Melee it was something already integrated into my playstyle and muscle memory at this point. PM requires relearning that part of your playstyle for a more or less functionally identical move and that's just awkward.
It just feels arbitrary with no real sense behind it other than maybe to further differentiate from Marth but that could have been done with a new animation that still has him starting in front without a random change to how the move behaves.
New Utilt is the only part about PM Roy I can't like.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
i was messing around with characters and it seems like roy's sweetspot is HUGE. was it always that big or did you guys increase it or what? it's awesome, and just a little crazy : D
I'm not sure I am understanding where this Dair sweet post is. I keep experimenting but I can't figure out the spot that does the Dair meteor smash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Strong Bad: But why should I have to turn around to cover the spot in front of me? That's counterintuitive.

FF: Ftilt covers one angle, not a bubble around him

PS: Jab doesn't turn into a combo. And why should I need to get used to a new move if there was no reason to make it a new move?
Lol? Should we just make Fox & Falco's Up-Tilts turn them around first? There are advantages and disadvantages to hitting behind first, you're being silly. The new Up-Tilt is cool, further differentiates him from Marth, and is better than it was in Melee. The incentive to learning how to do new stuff is that Roy isn't a steaming pile of **** in this game.

BooSex

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure I am understanding where this Dair sweet post is. I keep experimenting but I can't figure out the spot that does the Dair meteor smash.
I believe the hitbox is closer to the hilt, and also only on the latter half of the swing (when his arm swings back)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Lol? Should we just make Fox & Falco's Up-Tilts turn them around first? There are advantages and disadvantages to hitting behind first, you're being silly. The new Up-Tilt is cool, further differentiates him from Marth, and is better than it was in Melee. The incentive to learning how to do new stuff is that Roy isn't a steaming pile of **** in this game.
No, because fox and falco's Utilts aren't like that in Melee; can you imagine how much it would throw off spacie players if you reversed which direction their utilt goes? You're correct, and I'm saying the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. There's no need to differentiate his moveset from Marth's much as there's no need to differentiate Fox and Falco's; the moves they have do different things even if they're the same animation. And I'm willing to learn to do new stuff, hence why I main Roy in Melee, but if you're going to tell me that having a counter intuitive move is making him less of a steaming pile of ****, then you should reexamine your argument.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Your logic is inconsistent and poor. You say it's counter-intuitive for the attack to hit behind first, as if that's some sort of obvious point that applies to all U-Tilts ever, and then say Fox/Falco's shouldn't be changed. It's very silly. Ignoring that, you're one that has an issue with it, while several Roy players have no problem with it. Even Sethlon prefers the new U-Tilt. :/

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Also, the Dair sweetspot is present for the entirety of the sword swing, it's just slightly bigger behind Roy.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
No, because fox and falco's Utilts aren't like that in Melee; can you imagine how much it would throw off spacie players if you reversed which direction their utilt goes? You're correct, and I'm saying the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. There's no need to differentiate his moveset from Marth's much as there's no need to differentiate Fox and Falco's; the moves they have do different things even if they're the same animation. And I'm willing to learn to do new stuff, hence why I main Roy in Melee, but if you're going to tell me that having a counter intuitive move is making him less of a steaming pile of ****, then you should reexamine your argument.
somehow I doubt you are willing to learn new stuff to be completely honest with you

Top Bottom