• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I asked because if this:
Was that from a post about Melee Roy?

I remember someone asking earlier about the "^" angle and someone from PMBR said it didn't exist because they couldn't recreate it. Unless it got ninja patched in there and I just haven't seen it when playing Roy, I assumed it was still true.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I guess I was wrong about the grab/jump thing. Good to know.

Also, I could swear I've seen the counter spike happen in PM. Might have to test/record it.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure counter just has a very low KB angle now instead of the invisible ceiling. Truthfully that's probably better, except maybe against characters with excessively poor vertical recovery like DK.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
They changed DK's and Bowser's Up B's around right?

DK's now goes higher and Bowsers goes longer?
No idea, but counter's old spike properties could still put P:M DK too low to recover.

Edit: Do you mean that they completely swapped DK's up-b path for Bowser's, and vice versa? I'm almost certain that's not the case. Can't see any reason why they would.

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Roy most definitely does not have a hurtbox on his sword. He does extend his arm quite a ways for attacks like FSmash, though.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I use it a few times in matches. Friends forget it's there.

Now they either try and grab me before 4th hit turn-around or just back off.

Generalardj

Smash Cadet
Whatching the matches of Sethlon at Apex, you can see that Roy has some problems with trades when recovering. Now, how to "don't get hit"?

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Trades are generally bad for Roy when hes recovering, but if its like a stage spike if the Roy has quick enough reactions he can tech and UpB again.

Roys recovery makes me appreciate his onstage game so much lol.

Also, i made a Skype group for Roy. If you want to be a part of it just pm me about it on smashboards, then add me on Skype and i'll add you to the group. Skype name = soldiersunday

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I sometimes use the backstab. It's more of an occasional thing for me, but it really makes people second-guess trying to get behind you.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Question. How do tether characters meteor cancel if they don't have their jump? Does the tether still auto-snap to the edge if they're within range?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I want to let you guys know that I'll be streaming a lot of PM tonight and tomorrow. Here's the reddit post with all the relevant info, or you can just head to my twitch channel later today.

Even though I main Snake, I'll probably bring out the Roy wonder a fair amount. Especially if the stream asks for it :)

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Hey, guys, been in working with my Roy a lot, and I'm having trouble with my opponent CCing. How do I remedy this?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well, the grabbing thing doesn't work because of Sheik's really low crouch. And I doubt that he would give me the space to do DED.
Well in that case just space it out with tilts or bait an attack and shield grab if possible. When I was learning Roy in melee I looked at this guide alot even though Project M is a new game and Roy got buffed in here this is still an interesting read and some of the info in here you can apply.

http://smashboards.com/threads/ph3ar-teh-phir3-a-roy-guide.175726/

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Yeah, if they CC too much you can run up and crouch cancel your dash into an Fsmash. That should make them wary of crouching your approaches.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I know this may seen a little off between the smart competitive talk, and also a bit nitpicky, but i was playing some Melee yesterday and i noted that Roy has a slightly different crounching animation comparing to Marth's, Roy crouches and puts his left hand on the ground, while Marth doesn't put his hand on the ground, i would like they gave Roy back that animation, plus it will make his wavedash look cooler.
Yes, i put details in that things.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Thanks for the input. I eventually found that Roy's d-tilt destroys Sheiks CC. Unlike Marth's, it actually knocks your opponent up.

dtilt = essential for Roy

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Roy's D-tilt don't leave home without it.
I actually beat the Sheik pretty convincingly. The dtilt destroyed Sheiks options. lol. He went to fountain of dreams thinking it would give him an advantage. We both didn't know at the time that that was one of Roy's best stages in Melee.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well good stuff then cause Sheik bops Roy bad in melee. Don't know about Project M though.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Part of it and her CC game I believe. Some of my info may be outdated cause I haven't messed with the MU in a long while and I just go Marth or Falco.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Part of it and her CC game I believe. Some of my info may be outdated cause I haven't messed with the MU in a long while and I just go Marth or Falco.
Well, her chain grab on Roy in PM is garbage. It only works at very low percent. The Sheik I was fighting attempted to CG me but was only ever able to get like 2 grabs in a row. And as far as CCing, it seems that Roy's dtilt destroyed Sheiks CC game. They might have buffed it between Melee and PM.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Is it because of the chaingrabs?
The chaingrab is big part of it. She can chaingrab Roy to around 90% in Melee, which is death percent from the slap. You can DI offstage earlier, but then you just get drop zone slapped and die then instead of later =/

Dtilt is slightly buffed in PM (a couple frames shaved off of start up and IASA, IIRC), but it was actually really good against her in Melee as well. Its basically the only thing I did in the matchup; wavedash around, poke at her just outside of her range, and crouch cancel anything she does -> dtilt.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Hey everyone my names Ryo I'm normally an Ike main in brawl but as of recent I've been really addicted to PM and I main Roy it's nice to meet everyone. But is there a place I can put my 1 video up to be critiqued.

Top Bottom