• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
Hey everyone my names Ryo I'm normally an Ike main in brawl but as of recent I've been really addicted to PM and I main Roy it's nice to meet everyone. But is there a place I can put my 1 video up to be critiqued.
I'm glad to see you're interested in PM! I was a fan of your Brawl Ike back in the days.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, with the new PM update coming and more alt costumes coming. What costumes do you wanna see for Roy? For me since Marth is getting a costume dedicated to another Fire Emblem Lord, I think it be cool if Roy got Eliwoods clothes as an alt costume or maybe another fire emblem Lord

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'd be all for that. Only issue being Eliwood uses a rapier so they could not remodel the sword.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Eliwood would be tight but I rather be down with a Leif inspired costume from FE5 kinda like how Marth is getting a FE4 Sigurd outfit.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Just took a look at how Leif's armour looks and it is sick, if we don't get eliwoods clothes as an alt. Leif is the next best thing

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Does anybody think Roy needs some sort of incentive to get people to look past his poor recovery, besides decent offensive capability?

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, you probably have seen me throughout a bunch of other character's boards. Trying to solidify my characters. If you were at LTC2 or have watched the Chicago scene, my good friend Pooch182 suggested that I should pick up Roy. He said it complimented my playstyle perfectly and I doubted him from last week's Wavedash Wednesday until yesterday's Wavedash Wednesday. I started playing friendlies with people as Roy and I picked up everything so fast, it was kinda scary. I went 4-2 in bracket with my first time ever picking him up in PM(used to play him a good amount in Melee). Boy do I love this character.

What are good uses of dsmash? I have a habit of CC dsmash because I've played Samus since my Melee days so its almost ingrained in my brain. I know its good, but low %'s certain characters can easily act out of the hitstun and it has a good amount of lag. Also, good uses for utilt? I need to start using that move more in general, not just for Roy.

Last edited:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Hey guys, you probably have seen me throughout a bunch of other character's boards. Trying to solidify my characters. If you were at LTC2 or have watched the Chicago scene, my good friend Pooch182 suggested that I should pick up Roy. He said it complimented my playstyle perfectly and I doubted him from last week's Wavedash Wednesday until yesterday's Wavedash Wednesday. I started playing friendlies with people as Roy and I picked up everything so fast, it was kinda scary. I went 4-2 in bracket with my first time ever picking him up in PM(used to play him a good amount in Melee). Boy do I love this character.

What are good uses of dsmash? I have a habit of CC dsmash because I've played Samus since my Melee days so its almost ingrained in my brain. I know its good, but low %'s certain characters can easily act out of the hitstun and it has a good amount of lag. Also, good uses for utilt? I need to start using that move more in general, not just for Roy.
CC for Roy is bread and butter. I would suggest rather than Dsmash you Dtilt. Roy's Dtilt sets up EVERY one of his combo moves. The best thing I've found for Dmash is ledgedashing and Dmashing for coverage. Utilt is something I don't use often because up air is so much better in comparison.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Can someone please give me a Roy head icon thing so I can put it in my signature because I just realized Roy is basically a faster Ganon with a sword and fire. I mean he isn't as manly but... Fire. FIRE! FFFIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRE!!!

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
What are Roy's best OoS options?
wavedash, grab, dair

none of these area really that good though

does anyone else find it harder to do crouch -> f-smash out of DD than it is to do it out of single direction dash? for some reason whenever I try to do it out of DD, I get a dash attack even though the mechanics should be the same out of a regular dash. I guess that's what I get for being lazy and not hammering down my pivot timings.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Someone on the SSB4 Social Thread said:
Apparently :4roy:'s audience chant is "Roy's our boy!". Way to rub salt into the wounds, Sakurai. :laugh:
You heard it here first, folks. :roypm:

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
does anyone else find it harder to do crouch -> f-smash out of DD than it is to do it out of single direction dash? for some reason whenever I try to do it out of DD, I get a dash attack even though the mechanics should be the same out of a regular dash. I guess that's what I get for being lazy and not hammering down my pivot timings.
Is fsmash out of DD really that useful an option? I would think typically it'd be better at that point to dtilt out of DD and then convert off that. As you said, pivoting is much better for fsmashes.

smoothjazzyet

Smash Rookie
Hey, i just registered to the forums to post there :)
So my question is more about PM roy than Melee roy but i didnt find a similar thread in project M forums
: How do you deal against Mario? You will think this is weird but i thought a good way to practice with the AI would be to try to 4-stock any of them.. and i dont do it against Mario ( i spent almost 3 hours trying it ). and i tried with my mother main, diddy kong, and did it first attempt, even though i hear sometimes that Mario is rough for Diddy + i think i'm actually a better diddy than roy's
:luigimelee:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I'm thinking of maining Roy, but I know that in Melee he was inferior to Marth. In PM what are some of the buffs he received from the transition from Melee the advantages that he has over Marth. Is Roy's sourspot still the entire blade? If so, has it been strengthened? Thanks for your help.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
So I'm thinking of maining Roy, but I know that in Melee he was inferior to Marth. In PM what are some of the buffs he received from the transition from Melee the advantages that he has over Marth. Is Roy's sourspot still the entire blade? If so, has it been strengthened? Thanks for your help.
His blade works like the reverse of Marth's: the tip is a sourspot, while the rest is strong.

His DED (side-b) is much, much more useful, powerful, and variable than Marth's Dancing Blade. His bair is now a potent killmove if you connect the small sweetspot. He has a very strong combo game with his aerials and tilts, with more consistent KO power than Marth granted by his Fsmash, bair, and neutral B. His nair is also revamped, making it great for combos and spacing, while his downsmash now hits on both sides with powerful upward knockback. Additionally, his new ftilt has pretty huge range and is great for poking enemies and sometimes even killing. It can also be angled upwards or downwards, with the latter even being able to strike opponents grabbing the ledge.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Roy is better at comboing and killing than Marth. His conversions are also stronger due to dtilt. All his moves have their use. Roy is well worth using. I much prefer him than Marth in PM, i`m saying that as somewho who breathed Marth in this game for a year. Roy is a lot of fun and in 3.5 can really get results.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That makes sense. Instead of having a sweetspot at the base and the rest of the blade being a sourspot like in Melee, the sweetspot is the entire blade. Cool. So what are some practical uses for DED. When should you use it?

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
That makes sense. Instead of having a sweetspot at the base and the rest of the blade being a sourspot like in Melee, the sweetspot is the entire blade. Cool. So what are some practical uses for DED. When should you use it?
I've seen it used as a jab reset (first hit), I personally like using the third hit up for the meteor (the kills are always satisfying), and if you can somehow get all 4 hits off it's a fairly good kill move. It now clanks projectiles. And as always, without it your recovery would be literally trash.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
DED is situational but rather strong. If spaced well and you are smart with it you can pressure people`s shields because the only thing they can really do is roll away which you can bait and punish easy. Roll behind you and they eat the turn around hit 4 (yes the forth hit can also be used behind you). Plus the third hit is reliable to land and is strong.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
DED is situational but rather strong. If spaced well and you are smart with it you can pressure people`s shields because the only thing they can really do is roll away which you can bait and punish easy. Roll behind you and they eat the turn around hit 4 (yes the forth hit can also be used behind you). Plus the third hit is reliable to land and is strong.
I've found that it's easy for people to grab inbetween hits.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Depends on their character and spacing of course. I don`t suggest that vs DK for example. Plus on shield I never go past swing 2. Usually just the first, it is the understood threat that makes it work.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
What how everyone feel about Roy match up wise in 3.5? I bet some of his harder 3.02 match ups (Diddy, Link, Mario) are more doable now. But say Sheik and DK are still a rough time. Other than those two though I can't think of real hard ones.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
What how everyone feel about Roy match up wise in 3.5? I bet some of his harder 3.02 match ups (Diddy, Link, Mario) are more doable now. But say Sheik and DK are still a rough time. Other than those two though I can't think of real hard ones.
I dunno, I like DK because of his weight. Uptilt chains ayy

thechosenjuan

Smash Cadet
Why does Roy's flare blade hit Squirtle out of his recover, offstage, under the lip of the edge, even when the Squirtle is hitting his sweetspot on the recover?

SilverThorne333

Smash Rookie
Idk why everyone calls Marth the "original" when they were both introduced in the same installment, namely Melee (Stating the obvious). Personally, I believe Roy is the real reason that Fire Emblem gained interest in the USA due to Smash Bros. History lesson time! So Marth was already a part of the Fire Emblem series. After all, he's the first and one of the only reoccurring protagonists, Roy however, is the only character in Smash Bros. history to be introduced through Smash bros. he was included as promotional material for the 6th installment. I knew about Marth before Melee, but Roy was a real mystery to me and it's crazy he hasn't gone back to being an official Smash Bros. character (No offense to Project M, love u guys!)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Marth gets that claim because it is clear Roy was based off of Marth's move set not vice versa. Also seems Roy was not given the care in design that marth was in general. Plus as you said, he was in game before smash so anyone who did know Fire Emblem before then knew of Marth probably.

Top Bottom